• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this a real press release? this reads like a joke
Trump's tweets are considered on the record as official presidential statements/declarations, so there's a bot that converts the tweets into the traditional press release format that every President until now has used for public statements.

Crocodile

I'm sure this will be music to a lot of people's ears (I don't say that with snark, just that I think its something many will agree with):

Democrats should take the class warfare message to upscale suburbs

LOL Trump tweeted he has "very little time" to watch TV. The vast majority of his tweets are made immediately after a Fox News show talks about the exact same subject.

You know the only reason he made that tweet was because he saw someone on TV criticizing him for watching too much TV :p

EDIT: Case in point below LOL

KingK

A majority of Republicans believed Nixon shouldn't resign from office over Watergate three days before Nixon resigned from office over Watergate.

There's a NYMag piece that goes into this at length, but basically: the Democratic control of Congress is overstated as a factor in Nixon's downfall and Republicans were no more principled or ballsy then than they are now, only choosing to abandon Nixon when midterms started approaching and their seats were suddenly in jeopardy.
I read that article when it was first posted here a while back and it doesn't allay my concerns. Voters were not as polarized back then, and would be much more willing to vote for the other party. In today's climate, the vast, vast majority of republicans will never vote for a Democrat, full stop. The calculus for the politicians is different. They are (correctly) more worried about losing a primary challenge, or having 50+% of their base revolt/stay home in the general should they turn on Trump. That concern overrides any worries about the dramatic loss of independents. I think they've (accurately) concluded that they're stuck in a lose lose situation, but turning on Trump (and being left without any base at all in complete chaos with his supporters revolting) would result in a worse loss than sticking with him.

Trump's tweets are considered on the record as official presidential statements/declarations, so there's a bot that converts the tweets into the traditional press release format that every President until now has used for public statements.

Our President is a joke. That's from https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot which converts his tweets into press release format, since per the WH, his tweets are official statements.

oh good to know.

This guy is such an embarrassment

Crocodile

Paul will be a perma no because He's not actually opposing it out of principle.

Can someone explain to me why McConnell wants to rip healthcare away from the people of his state so badly? Especially since state-sponsored healthcare is the only reason he is alive today? He just cares about tax cuts that much more than Paul?

Can someone explain to me why McConnell wants to rip healthcare away from the people of his state so badly? Especially since state-sponsored healthcare is the only reason he is alive today? He just cares about tax cuts that much more than Paul?

The best explanation I've read is that he hates Obama and wants to burn his legacy to the ground. You know, just caring around the people he represents.

Blader

I read that article when it was first posted here a while back and it doesn't allay my concerns. Voters were not as polarized back then, and would be much more willing to vote for the other party. In today's climate, the vast, vast majority of republicans will never vote for a Democrat, full stop. The calculus for the politicians is different. They are (correctly) more worried about losing a primary challenge, or having 50+% of their base revolt/stay home in the general should they turn on Trump. That concern overrides any worries about the dramatic loss of independents. I think they've (accurately) concluded that they're stuck in a lose lose situation, but turning on Trump (and being left without any base at all in complete chaos with his supporters revolting) would result in a worse loss than sticking with him.

Not as polarized, but still pretty polarized. And the inclination for Republicans to vote Democrat or vice versa in the 60s and 70s had a lot to do with southern conservative Dems who don't exist anymore.

He ran on repealing the ACA. He won re-election by 15 points. Clearly the majority of Kentucky voters are not concerned enough about having their healthcare ripped away.

Blader

Advisers said the president was annoyed not so much by his son as by the headlines. But three people close to the legal team said he had also trained his ire on Marc E. Kasowitz, his longtime lawyer, who is leading the team of private lawyers representing him. Mr. Trump, who often vents about advisers in times of trouble, has grown disillusioned by Mr. Kasowitz’s strategy, the people said.

The strain, though, exists on both sides. Mr. Kasowitz and his colleagues have been deeply frustrated by the president. And they have complained that Mr. Kushner has been whispering in the president’s ear about the Russia investigations and stories while keeping the lawyers out of the loop, according to another person familiar with the legal team. But one person familiar with Mr. Kasowitz’s thinking said his concerns did not relate to Mr. Kushner.

The president’s lawyers view Mr. Kushner as an obstacle and a freelancer more concerned about protecting himself than his father-in-law, the person said. While no ultimatum has been delivered, the lawyers have told colleagues that they cannot keep operating that way, raising the prospect that Mr. Kasowitz may resign.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/us/politics/russia-trump.html?ribbon-ad-idx=3&rref=us

Ernest

Banned
Racist fuck would rather his constituents die than have our first black president leave any sort of lasting legacy.

Geist-

A little late to the party, but this really puts in perspective just how dumb Stupid Watergate really is.
6YVylrT.png

Wilsongt

A little late to the party, but this really puts in perspective just how dumb Stupid Watergate really is.
6YVylrT.png

Let's not gloss over the fact thaf Julian fucking Assange tweeted out that he was apparently the one who encouraged that tube of walking hair gel to release the email in the first place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Let's not gloss over the fact thaf Julian fucking Assange tweeted out that he was apparently the one who encouraged that tube of walking hair gel to release the email in the first place.

Assange is full of shit. He just wants some of his rep back.

The Republican primary base was given an injection after injection of how Obamacare is a deathpanel that is going to kill you and then your granny, partly through Conservative radio and tv and partly through people like McConnell himself. McConnell has to rely on this primary base to win re-elections, and so does his party.

Now we're at crossroads where the veil has been slightly lifted and the primary base thats been fed horse shit for a decade is in siege mentality.

I'm sure this will be music to a lot of people's ears (I don't say that with snark, just that I think its something many will agree with):

Democrats should take the class warfare message to upscale suburbs

I broadly agree with the point the article is making, although I think the Ossoff/Quist comparisons necessarily ignore too many variables to be as useful as the article implies. GA-6 was always going to be a tougher race than Hillary's numbers implied since it was such a strong Romney district (they may not like Trump, but they like Generic Republican), greater national attention may have helped motivate the Republican vote, etc. Of course, not all of these variables work against their point. For example, Quist was a pretty bad candidate while Ossoff was, if nothing else, much more polished. I just think they get a little too cute in the way they use those two races in the article.

kirblar

The actual problem is that the class warfare message doesn't really move votes.

It's just not an axes that's flipping people. You can change the messaging approach all you want, it's just not going to do anything.

Loxley

The Republican primary base was given an injection after injection of how Obamacare is a deathpanel that is going to kill you and then your granny, partly through Conservative radio and tv and partly through people like McConnell himself. McConnell has to rely on this primary base to win re-elections, and so does his party.

Now we're at crossroads where the veil has been slightly lifted and the primary base thats been fed horse shit for a decade is in siege mentality.

There's also the somewhat comical problem that when Trump won, the GOP got caught with its pants down. They, like everyone else, thought Hillary was going to win, and were just prepped for 4-8 more years of squawking about how bad Obamacare was but not having to actually do anything about it because it would just be vetoed by Hillary. This is why they felt perfectly comfortable just whining about the ACA but never actually drafting a solid plan to repeal it.

So when Trump won, they suddenly found themselves in the awkward position of actually having the power to repeal Obamacare, but without any fucking idea of how they would do it. They were also faced with the problem that, even with all of their doomsaying of Obamacare, the majority of Americans approve of it now and don't want it repealed. Half of the modern GOP were elected back when the ACA was a mess, on the promise they would get rid of it. So now they're caught between a rock and hard place. If they don't repeal it, they look like hypocrites and liars, and if they do repeal it, they'll be responsible for stripping tens of millions of people of their healthcare.

They basically played themselves.

There's also the somewhat comical problem that when Trump won, the GOP got caught with its pants down. They, like everyone else, thought Hillary was going to win, and were just prepped for 4-8 more years of squawking about how bad Obamacare was but not having to actually do anything about it because it would just be vetoed by Hillary. This is why they felt perfectly comfortable just whining about the ACA but never actually drafting a solid plan to repeal it.

So when Trump won, they suddenly found themselves in the awkward position of actually having the power to repeal Obamacare, but without any fucking idea of how they would do it. They were also faced with the problem that, even with all of their doomsaying of Obamacare, the majority of Americans approve of it now and don't want it repealed. Half of the modern GOP were elected back when the ACA was a mess, on the promise they would get rid of it. So now they're caught between a rock and hard place. If they don't repeal it, they look like hypocrites and liars, and if they do repeal it, they'll be responsible for stripping tens of millions of people of their healthcare.

They basically played themselves.

And the only clean way out of it is to do something that many of them find unacceptable, reaching across the aisle.

kirblar

How can you say this?
Because I've seen plenty of evidence people's marginal voting patterns aren't being decided on that axes. Inequality isn't a winning message. Fence-sitters and loose Rs/Ds aren't being persuaded based on perceptions of it.

PBY

Banned
Because I've seen plenty of evidence people's marginal voting patterns aren't being decided on that axes. Inequality isn't a winning message. Fence-sitters and loose Rs/Ds aren't being persuaded based on perceptions of it.

Where is this evidence?

kirblar

Where is this evidence?
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/why-the-presidents-campaign-shouldnt-focus-on-inequality/
So far, so good. But making economic inequality the thematic centerpiece of his campaign would be a losing strategy. Just look at the polls. An April NBC/Wall Street Journal survey tested six economic messages that the presidential candidates could adopt. One of them: “What drags down our economy is an ever-widening gap between the ultra-rich and everyone else.” That message ranked dead last; only 45 percent of respondents said that it would make them more likely to vote for the candidate who articulated it. (The more successful messages moved 60 or even 70 percent of the people in the desired direction.)

In January, Gallup examined the public’s evaluation of three different economic strategies. Eighty-two percent of respondents thought that it was extremely or very important to “grow and expand the economy.” Seventy percent thought that it was extremely or very important to “increase the equality of opportunity for people to get ahead if they want to.” But only 46 percent said that about the third strategy: “reduce the income and wealth gap between the rich and the poor.” To be sure, 72 percent of Democrats attached great importance to this strategy. But only 43 percent of Independents did. The populist attack on inequality may rally the base, but it would not improve Obama’s chances among other voters.

That’s because a focus on inequality doesn’t personally resonate for most people. Also in January, Gallup probed public attitudes about the current economic system. Only 45 percent thought it was fundamentally fair, while 49 percent did not. That sounds promising for the populist cause. But then came the next question: Do you think the U.S. economic system is fair or unfair to you personally? Sixty-two percent thought that it was fair to them as individuals; only 36 percent did not. That helps explain why a majority regards current inequalities as “an acceptable part of our economic system.”

And the people who are likely to view inequality as unacceptable are already likely to vote for Obama—including, overwhelmingly, African-Americans. In September of 2011, Pew posed a survey question it had asked many times before: Is American society divided into two groups, the “haves” and the “have-nots”?It turned out that public opinion hasn’t changed significantly since the end of the Clinton administration: About 45 percent say yes, while about 52 percent say no. But attitudes on this question have long divided along racial lines. As of last September, 73 percent of African Americans answered the question in the affirmative, compared to only 40 percent of whites.
The evidence is on the internet, if you bother to look for it.

RDreamer

This is why I'm certain he leaked the email. He's an idiot, but he probably genuinely thinks that this deflects blame from him and puts eyes on Jr. Probably also thinks he gets credit for leaving early.

To be fair... that is working. He's still got security clearance and has barely been mentioned in all this. Everything's on Jr.

Setting aside whether creating peace in the middle east would help, didn't he basically go to Abbas and parrot a bunch of Netanyahu talking points and Israeli government demands and then walk off when the PA balked?
Hey, he's new at this. Nobody knew peace in the ME could be so complicated.

He's not wrong though. Where is his legal problem?
At a minimum, leaving multiple meetings of his SF-86 forms.

Edit: Oh, I see. You edited in a "nothing matters anymore" at the end. Can you please just not post if all you're going to contribute is "nothing matters" complaints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom