• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Gorka have a real job yet because last I heard he was wandering around the WH between TV appearances because he couldn't get the security clearance required to actually do anything

Does Gorka have a real job yet because last I heard he was wandering around the WH between TV appearances because he couldn't get the security clearance required to actually do anything
Probably being an undeniable Nazi as well as questionable credentials might give the Admin pause to use him as a talking head I suppose.

ivajz

Don't think so, I believe he still has to learn Farsi to get a natsec clearance.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
He literally read Cooper's ratings and said he was being beaten by Nickelodeon or something and then mentioned how many viewers Tucker Carlson has.

He literally read Cooper's ratings and said he was being beaten by Nickelodeon or something and then mentioned how many viewers Tucker Carlson has.

It's such an odd attack line, if the show/channel is so worthless that nobody is watching it, why is he spending 30 minutes of his time being interviewed on the channel?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
It's such an odd attack line, if the show/channel is so worthless that nobody is watching it, why is he spending 30 minutes of his time being interviewed on the channel?

Apparently it was also something he said the last time he was on the show. What a tool.

@yashar

On CNN, @SenatorLankford says the Senate Intelligence Committee found out about the Don Jr/Russian lawyer meeting in April.

edit: from Kushner's updated forms

hmm.

I literally did not know Tom Coburn had retired. Going to pour myself a drink to celebrate! I will take good news where I can get it.

chadskin

@yashar

On CNN, @SenatorLankford says the Senate Intelligence Committee found out about the Don Jr/Russian lawyer meeting in April.

edit: from Kushner's updated forms

hmm.

Important to note he said they knew about the meeting but not what was discussed or the emails. I would imagine they were planning to ask them about exactly that once they appear before the committee.

Tommy DJ

Important to note he said they knew about the meeting but not what was discussed or the emails. I would imagine they were planning to ask them about exactly that once they appear before the committee.

That would make sense since I still have no certain idea who leaked those emails seeing only a handful of Trump Loyalists would even know or have hold of said emails.

How is Don Jr. not being questioned by Congress left and right at this point? It's been a few days and this is hard evidence that he himself released of collusion between the Trump Campaign and the Russian Government. It's incredible.

Random Human

How is Don Jr. not being questioned by Congress left and right at this point? It's been a few days and this is hard evidence that he himself released of collusion between the Trump Campaign and the Russian Government. It's incredible.

They also need to get in touch with that assistant who Russia said was a channel to Trump.

Wilsongt

AP's cybersecurity correspondent, Raphael Satter, just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/razhael/status/885078590215389184

They aren't even trying to hide the connections anymore. This was Huckabee Sanders' exact line at today's off-camera press briefing.

I don't see how this benefits anyone. Clinton isn' a nominee. She's not even running for office. Unless they are doing this to try and make the GOP play their hand and begin prosecuting Clinton due to whataboutism.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, I am reading a bit of the Federal Election Regulations, and I actually don't see a way Trump Jr could get out of charges without a pardon, if they were made

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

I am sure you all have read the opinions of people who know a lot better than me about this, but here are the relevant sections:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20 said:
No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/300.2 said:
The following types of communications constitute solicitations:

(i) A communication that provides a method of making a contribution or donation, regardless of the communication.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/100.52 said:
For purposes of this section, the term anything of value includes all in-kind contributions. Unless specifically exempted under 11 CFR part 100, subpart C, the provision of any goods or services without charge or at a charge that is less than the usual and normal charge for such goods or services is a contribution. Examples of such goods or services include, but are not limited to: Securities, facilities, equipment, supplies, personnel, advertising services, membership lists, and mailing lists.

Basically accepting the meeting qualifies as providing a method for making a contribution, and is thus solicitation by the legal definition. Obtaining information about a political opponent would constitute as a service that falls under the "Anything of value" part of contributions.

Wilsongt

So, I am reading a bit of the Federal Election Regulations, and I actually don't see a way Trump Jr could get out of charges without a pardon, if they were made

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

I am sure you all have read the opinions of people who know a lot better than me about this, but here are the relevant sections:

Basically accepting the meeting qualifies as providing a method for making a contribution, and is thus solicitation by the legal definition. Obtaining information about a political opponent would constitute as a service that falls under the "Anything of value" part of contributions.

Someone was on NPR today who worked on Watergate and said straight out that what Jr did was flat out illegal.

But whose is gonna prosecute him?

Just this morning NPR had another story about how the Justice Department lost a lot of it's bite after the Enron case because people were upset that they went after someone so big.

chadskin

So this'll be the GOP talking point going forward. John Solomon, who posted the recent Comey memos story, out with a new one:

The Russian lawyer who penetrated Donald Trump’s inner circle was initially cleared into the United States by the Justice Department under “extraordinary circumstances” before she embarked on a lobbying campaign last year that ensnared the president’s eldest son, members of Congress, journalists and State Department officials, according to court and Justice Department documents and interviews.

This revelation means it was the Obama Justice Department that enabled the newest and most intriguing figure in the Russia-Trump investigation to enter the country without a visa.
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...sian-lawyer-into-us-before-she-met-with-trump

kirblar

So this'll be the GOP talking point going forward. John Solomon, who posted the recent Comey memos story, out with a new one:

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...sian-lawyer-into-us-before-she-met-with-trump
Not a good plan: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/19/bush-obama-presidents-gallup-poll-239727

Meanwhile, Obama’s popularity has crept up since his successor was elected. While Obama’s favorability rating of 63 percent is six percentage points off from his high point in March 2009, it has increased five percentage points since Trump took office.

This is probably old but Trump's Russia lawyer is shockingly a hot mess, unlikely to receive the security clearance he'd need to do even a half assed job. He should probably stick to getting wasted and suing his daughter's equestrian school:

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-russia-lawyer-marc-kasowitz-alcohol-security-clearance

Also the NYT is reporting that he may actually quit Trump's team soon. Putting the "L" in Lawyer.

I'll wait until he actually resigns.

Too many threats of resignation and nothing comes of those.

This is such a dumb conspiracy. Yeah, Obama tricked the Trump team into colluding with Russia so they'd win the election and destroy our democracy.

They laid the groundwork for this talking point in the first press release Trump's lawyers put out after Don Jr.'s meeting leaked and it never made any sense. If it was a setup, why would we keep it a secret until after we lost the election? What's the goal?

This is such a dumb conspiracy. Yeah, Obama tricked the Trump team into colluding with Russia so they'd win the election and destroy our democracy.

They laid the groundwork for this talking point in the first press release Trump's lawyers put out after Don Jr.'s meeting leaked and it never made any sense. If it was a setup, why would we keep it a secret until after we lost the election? What's the goal?

It also doesn't change the fact that when offered oppo by a foreign adversary, Trump Jr. said Hell Yeah!

This entire Russia story has so many connecting threads. In every new article you see echoes of something published months ago that seemed small or irrelevant at the time but takes on new significance.

From today's WSJ article:
The U.S. intelligence agencies weren't sure what to make of the vague and inconclusive information, given that Mr. Trump had done business in Russia and was a global celebrity well-known to prominent people there. The names of Americans do sometimes show up in conversations involving Russian officials that are overheard by U.S. intelligence.

Now, in light of the release of emails Tuesday by Donald Trump Jr., the president's eldest son, investigators are going back to those early reports to see if they can understand them better.

From a BBC article in January:

Last April, the CIA director was shown intelligence that worried him. It was - allegedly - a tape recording of a conversation about money from the Kremlin going into the US presidential campaign.

It was passed to the US by an intelligence agency of one of the Baltic States. The CIA cannot act domestically against American citizens so a joint counter-intelligence taskforce was created.

Maybe one of the Baltic states provided the intercepts that investigators have now begun to re-examine. And would these tapes about "money from the Kremlin" have anything to do with the "Putin pays Rohrabacher and Trump" tape?

And we know that the Agalarovs, who appear in the dossier, have become supporting characters in this week's drama.

We will get one hell of a mini-series.

Zolo

I do wonder if in this presidency we'll get the answer to 'Can a president be charged with a crime while in office?' and 'Can a president pardon himself?'

This entire Russia story has so many connecting threads. In every new article you see echoes of something published months ago that seemed small or irrelevant at the time but takes on new significance.

From today's WSJ article:

From a BBC article in January:

Maybe one of the Baltic states provided the intercepts that investigators have now begun to re-examine. And would these tapes about "money from the Kremlin" have anything to do with the "Putin pays Rohrabacher and Trump" tape?

And we know that the Agalarovs, who appear in the dossier, have become supporting characters in this week's drama.

We will get one hell of a mini-series.

The rumor mongers (aka they who shall not be named) were saying months ago that the Estonians had turned over info to the US intelligence agencies.

GrapeApes

5Rt4xSz.png
Probably the best podcast description I've ever read. Is there a way to put money on this? Like who's taking bets on indictments.

Sianos

the new Hannity talking point: actually, the real villain is Ukraine, for colluding with the DNC

hmmmmm i wonder where that one came from???

AP's cybersecurity correspondent, Raphael Satter, just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/razhael/status/885078590215389184

They aren't even trying to hide the connections anymore. This was Huckabee Sanders' exact line at today's off-camera press briefing.

Oh, so that's what Hannity and Newt were talking about just a few minutes ago on Hannity's radio show. "If collusion is such a big deal, then WHAT ABOUT HILLARY blah blah blah".... When they weren't fellating each other of course.

Newt also thinks Mueller should hire "at least one pro-Trump Republican" because of course to them this is just about politics.

Oh, so that's what Hannity and Newt were talking about just a few minutes ago on Hannity's radio show. "If collusion is such a big deal, then WHAT ABOUT HILLARY blah blah blah".... When they weren't fellating each other of course.

Newt also thinks Mueller should hire "at least one pro-Trump Republican" because of course to them this is just about politics.

Yeah, they're trying to make this stick as their talking point now. Desperately.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do wonder if in this presidency we'll get the answer to 'Can a president be charged with a crime while in office?' and 'Can a president pardon himself?'

Some people dug up an old legal opinion published by the White House's Office of Legal Counsel, a few days before Nixon Resigned. Their conclusion was that a sitting President does not have the authority to Pardon himself, but outline two somewhat convoluted processes a sitting President could receive a pardon.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/olc/opinions/1974/08/31/op-olc-supp-v001-p0370_0.pdf

Yeah, they're trying to make this stick as their talking point now. Desperately.

It's a bad talking point. They were better off sticking with Solomon's "It's Obama's fault!" spin. The Ukraine bullshit is too convoluted for Fox News viewers, and the Obama thing resonates with two other Fox News talking points regarding Obama: Lax Foreign Policy and Lax Immigration Standards.

On a side note, r/the_donald is divided in their ranks on if they should even use the word Russiagate in reference to this "hoax". They still haven't gotten to which spin theory to adopt. Some of the top upvoted comments on posts are entirely in Russian.

They're not coping well right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom