• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you prioritize stopping abortions and gay marriage at the price of everything else your religion stands for, then tactically it makes sense. I give the Evangelicals credit in that they're able to swallow their pride and vote for the side that helps them more even if the candidate isn't perfectly up to their standards, unlike far too many on the left.

My argument, of course, is that this is a very reductionist view of Christian teaching, but what would an agnostic like me know?

For Catholics, this idea rose to high prominence during the Papacy of John Paul the II who claimed that, while all social justice is important, social justice toward the unborn is the most important as they are the most innocent.

Oddly this resulted in a perverse incentive for Republicans to spouting the importance of making abortion illegal in the country, but rarely ever doing more than enacting laws that make abortion and birth control more difficult to obtain. Because if it were illegal, then those 1 issue voters would, theoretically, no longer be bound to the Republican party by that issue.

@SenMikeLee
Just FYI - The Cruz-Lee Amendment has not been added to BCRA. Something based on it has, but I have not seen it or agreed to it. 1/2

200.gif

At this point they don't care and can only hope to have a few Dems on board to make up for the R nos.

Any Democrat who votes for any iteration of this bill will lose his or her primary next year. Look at the unanimous vote against the House bill in May. We've established a litmus tests on this issue, and rightly so.

Plus, if any Democrats vote for it, then the Republicans can call it "bipartisan" (even though they wrote it in secret with no Democratic input) and shift some of the blame.

Teggy

I wish I could find the interview with Rev Barber, but he explained that the modern white "evangelical" is taught to believe that money is a sign of god's favor, so trumps financial success is one reason they look past his moral failures.

Is that a real hope?
No..

No dem will vote for it.. not even Manchin

Senate Dems should introduce a competing plan. The more confusion in the process the better.

This happened two days ago

Or maybe drop the bill altogether while they are at it.
Then Flake and others risk a primary challenge..

There is no way out where the Goppers do not pay a political price in regards to healthcare

Trump Jr would get eaten alive by a Senate committee. They actually bring receipts. Someone prep the fif.gif folder.

"Now Mr. Trump, can you please spend an hour telling us why your dad is so wonderful?"

"Mr. Trump, why did you have this meeting? Was it because you're new to this whole political thing and you wanted to make sure that this lady wasn't up to something nefarious? I certainly think that's why. Now, I'm no big city lawyer but you sir look like a hero to me and this isn't how we treat heroes."

PBY

Banned
Any Democrat who votes for any iteration of this bill will lose his or her primary next year. Look at the unanimous vote against the House bill in May. We've established a litmus tests on this issue, and rightly so.

Plus, if any Democrats vote for it, then the Republicans can call it "bipartisan" (even though they wrote it in secret with no Democratic input) and shift some of the blame.

This.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"Now Mr. Trump, can you please spend an hour telling us why your dad is so wonderful?"

"Mr. Trump, why did you have this meeting? Was it because you're new to this whole political thing and you wanted to make sure that this lady wasn't up to something nefarious? I certainly think that's why. Now, I'm no big city lawyer but you sir look like a hero to me and this isn't how we treat heroes."

There's going to Democrats there too you know.

What even were Bush's biggest controversies from January-August of his first term? Were malapropisms and looking foolish the extent of his self-inflicted wounds? The current administration should realize that their ability to abdicate all effort or duty is a massive lucky stroke, but their very existence makes trouble. Or rather is trouble, you can't be scandal-free when your very presidency is a scandal.

Hindl

I have takes care of people with Parkinson's and that really looks like dyskinesia.

If you watch the footage of him walking with Macron, he is noticeably shuffling his feet. I have real concerns.

Maybe he does, but that doesn't explain this. He consistently does it with almost every leader or politician he meets. But he didn't do it with Putin. I think it's just a power move

Apharmd

we're still committed to being the world leader in environmental protection y'all

we have to respect the world

...pretty sure this is same thing he said and did with women.

Blader

On a theoretical level, I'll never understand evangelical love for Trump.

He's basically every character from a fable we're supposed to learn a lesson from. There's no real, Christian core to his character.

This is a really good piece about it: http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...religious-right-a-match-made-in-heaven-215251

The gist is that: evangelicals prize abortion over all other issues; they see Trump as David-like figure, i.e. a flawed champion to carry out God's will (seems like this could be applied to literally any person who agrees to support the evangelical platform...); and they feel marginalized within their own society and see a fighter in Trump who sympathizes with their feelings and will not stop fighting on their behalf.

lol, the Russian meeting was just "opposition research." That's what he just called it. So... there you go. He confessed, probably without realizing it.

Zolo

They've been going w/ this line for a while.

Yeah. That's why outlets and people are having a hard time defending it and mostly going for deflecting back to Hillary & Obama. You can't call it a hoax when he's admitted to it.

lol, the Russian meeting was just "opposition research." That's what he just called it. So... there you go. He confessed, probably without realizing it.

It's just trying to obtain opposition research, something of value, from an agent of an adversary state. It isn't a crime.

NARRATOR: It is.

Ogodei

What even were Bush's biggest controversies from January-August of his first term? Were malapropisms and looking foolish the extent of his self-inflicted wounds? The current administration should realize that their ability to abdicate all effort or duty is a massive lucky stroke, but their very existence makes trouble. Or rather is trouble, you can't be scandal-free when your very presidency is a scandal.

Pre-9/11 he was hobbled by the shadow of dangling chads (it was a different time), and 2001 was when the Enron/Worldcom stuff hit the fan, along with being the time the .com bust really came home to roost, so was another chapter in our history of "hey, maybe corporate America needs reigned in" before 9/11 happened and we forgot entirely about Wall Street until Bear Sterns collapsed 6 years later.

I really love how he thinks he did nothing wrong. Tell us more about the perfectly normal things you did during the campaign Trump. The polls love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom