• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says the guy who leaked the story lol.

Kushner may be dumb, but he's retained a VERY competent lawyer, former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick, who makes Trump's goons look like the tabloid ambulance chasers they are. She actually works at Mueller's law firm, coincidentally.

I have to phrase this exactly or PBY will tell me to "stop wildly speculating": Lawyers look out for their clients, as they should. All of Kushner's actions have been guided by professional attorneys whose goal is to minimize the consequences and/or charges he could face. If he disclosed these new meetings - and if he has anything to do with the email story - it's for a reason.

Zolo

Even if Democrats could get a super majority in 2020 (which I don't think is possible even in a wave), I don't think they'd actually do any kind of impeachment.

Even if Democrats could get a super majority in 2020 (which I don't think is possible even in a wave), I don't think they'd actually do any kind of impeachment.

you need 67 votes in the Senate to convict. Really the Republican voter sentiment needs to sour enough for congressional R's to dump Trump.

I've often said that maybe, under the right circumstances, a Republican House might impeach. You only need 24 Republican votes in addition to all the Democratic votes.

But a conviction in the Senate seems exceedingly unlikely even with a Democratic majority unless we have undeniable evidence.

jtb

Banned
We already have a method for removing a president that doesn't require expending inordinate amounts of political capital better spent on passing lasting progressive policies.

We already have a method for removing a president that doesn't require expending inordinate amounts of political capital better spent on passing lasting progressive policies.

While I agree an election is easier, it's like a settlement with no admission of guilt. Our country needs something to differentiate between HW being a one-term president due to normal political shifts and (hopefully) Trump being a one-term president due to treason.

I could see us topping out at like 55 Senate seats by 2020, and that's if everything goes well. Beat Heller and Flake next year, Gardner, Tillis, Perdue, Daines and Sullivan in 2020 (maybe Collins' seat will open up).

Last year was our chance to make big gains in the Senate and we blew it. The next time that class is up will hopefully be a Dem midterm, and given how those have gone I'd count it as a blessing if we just held even. Hassan should be our only vulnerable member, with Cortez-Masto and Bennet hopefully getting an assist from demographics.

We can target Rubio, McCain (probably retiring), Isakson (maybe retiring), Johnson, Burr and Toomey, but I can't fathom making significant gains in a midterm.

Well we'd better hope for one hell of a wave in 2018 and a mini-wave in 2020

I hope for this too but I really have no idea how many moderates and new voters have been infected by the grass-root effect of Fox News and co... Hell even the internet is a proud home for Trump/Republican voters to fester, taking advantage of the stuff dems once wielded effectively (memes, facebook, reddit).

You know what I'm excited for.

The 2020 Senate elections.

2020_Senate_election_map.png

Let me give you a preview of 2020.

Tulsibros: "I'm not voting this year, Booker is corrupt man, he's just as bad as Trump who's going to lose anyway"

"But you can still vote downballot to provide a check and balance against Trump"

Tulsibros: "I don't know what those words mean"

It must be nice to feel so secure under Trump.

This is also a good point. I've mentioned it before but I had students of different demographics in tears the day after the election. There's real danger for certain groups of people under this administration and that would only be worse if we let them ignore the rule of law. Today it's "oh it was just a dumb meeting, it's not worth the trouble" but tomorrow could be "...the decision of the Supreme Court has fell still born, and they find that they cannot coerce Georgia to yield to its mandate," -Andrew Jackson

pigeon

Banned
I would also argue that we're never getting 2/3 of the Senate to remove him in an era of hyper polarization.

I agree that America's government and institutions have failed on a fundamental level and exposed us all to danger, some more seriously than others.

But I'm not sure how it proves your point!

I agree that America's government and institutions have failed on a fundamental level and exposed us all to danger, some more seriously than others.

But I'm not sure how it proves your point!

If there's absolutely no chance to remove Trump through impeachment, then there's little reason to entertain it as a possibility, so put all of your energy into one of the few ways in which we can get him out of office.

pigeon

Banned
If there's absolutely no chance to remove Trump through impeachment, then there's little reason to entertain it as a possibility and put all of your energy into one of the few ways in which we can get him out of office.

If American governance has fundamentally failed it seems weird to spend a lot of time imagining a situation where it suddenly starts working again for no reason.

If American governance has fundamentally failed it seems weird to spend a lot of time imagining a situation where it suddenly starts working again for no reason.

There is a less than 1% chance that Trump will be impeached.

There is a greater than 1% chance that Trump will lose election in 2020.

So.

I don't actually understand what your point is besides "must be nice not need impeachment!". Because, no one is getting impeachment. Ergo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Oh my goodness. Get a charismatic democratic presidential candidate that drives people to the polls, and we've got a stew going.

Ogodei

What are the realistic pickups here? Gardner's more of a dead man walking than Heller is, Tillis is beatable. Perdue could go if Georgia goes D in 2020.

Collins is immortal unless she resigns to run for governor next year. Ernst is polling well against generic D right now, but Iowa's more elastic than other states.

Edit: If Collins won as governor she could appoint her own replacement, lol.

What are the realistic pickups here? Gardner's more of a dead man walking than Heller is, Tillis is beatable. Perdue could go if Georgia goes D in 2020.

Collins is immortal unless she resigns to run for governor next year. Ernst is polling well against generic D right now, but Iowa's more elastic than other states.
Along with those but there's also Daines and Sullivan if things go well in a 2008-esque wave, believe in the Mallotmentum

We could try to make Cornyn fight for reelection, even if Texas may not be quite blue enough to beat him then.

What does Maine's Democratic bench even look like? I know the Attorney General (?) filed to run for governor the other day, but I've heard of no one else.

Speaking of Maine, will Poliquin's seat in ME-02 be vulnerable next year? We had it not that long ago, and it has a PVI of only R+2. I know that district went for Trump...

kirblar

Do you guys feel the Dems will not lose seats next year in the Senate? Map is rough. 2020 could maybe only put things back to even.
I think we can stand pat with the wind at our backs (Heller/McCaskill both losing seems likely at this point) and that any actual pickups are gravy.

I mean.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...are-bill/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=39744468

JENKINS, Ky. -- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's home state, Kentucky, is expected to be hard hit by proposed cuts in Medicaid funding that remained in a re-tooled health care plan rolled out Thursday by Senate Republicans.

Every day, 50-year-old Kathy Collins has to take 27 pills in her fight against the autoimmune disease, Lupus.

Collins lives in rural Kentucky with her sister, Carol Maggard. She is on a fixed income and uses Medicaid to help pay mounting health care bills.

"Last year, they were $945,000," Collins said.

Earlier this month, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, of Kentucky, tried to calm fears about the future of Medicaid.

"Nothing we've advocated so far would cause anybody currently on Medicaid to be taken off of Medicaid," he said.

Under Obamacare, Kentucky expanded Medicaid and cut the uninsured rate from 14 percent to almost six percent. But right now, the bill calls for significant cuts in federal funding of state Medicaid programs. To make up for the loss, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin has proposed changing the state requirements for Medicaid, which could cause people to lose coverage.

At Louisville's Shawnee Christian Healthcare Center, 70 percent of Dr. Brent Duncan's patients are on Medicaid.

"Folks may have to decide between a doctors visit and being able to put food on the table for their family," Duncan said.

Collins, a Republican who voted for both McConnell and Bevin, is now truly worried about losing her coverage.

"I'm sure Mitch McConnell don't have to worry about his medical bills," she said. "Or Gov. Bevin's. But real people have to."

jtb

Banned

Edit: If Collins won as governor she could appoint her own replacement, lol.

Susan Collins is definitely not immortal. No blue state Republican can be after this mess - even a wacky independent state like Maine.

Go for: Colorado, Maine, NC, Georgia

All the Medicaid heavy states that used to be D senators: LA, WV, AK, hell let's target Kentucky too

So what the fuck is she going to do about that in 2018?

McCaskill has gotten lucky so far with Wagner withdrawing and Hawley waffling, and I think she'll work like hell to pull it off. If she loses, it won't be due to lack of effort.

Sue Collins may not be immortal, but she'll be the favorite if the health care bill fails, which looks likely. She's been vocally opposed at every step for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom