• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, nearly everybody (myself included) underestimated Trump. Still, you could see that he was going to have a base to build from. Who would Zuckerberg's base even be? Aliens posing as humans to study our society?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, nearly everybody (myself included) underestimated Trump. Still, you could see that he was going to have a base to build from. Who would Zuckerberg's base even be? Aliens posing as humans to study our society?

Nobody. He'd have no shot whatsoever.

Did Ashford never officially announce he was jumping back into NE-2 next year? Oh well, he is.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-a...cle_6d61e743-92bc-51fa-aa33-7f17c6bb2f5b.html

Someone in the DKE comments pointed out that of the four House Democratic candidates who lost their races by less than 4 points, three have jumped back into the fray (Ashford, Angie Craig, and Doug Applegate). The only one who hasn't is Pete Gallego who's probably just waiting on the new Texas map. Had the Comey letter not dropped we probably would have had all four.

Turns out obstructing is pretty easy. Actually legislating on the other hand...
Winning is easy, young man, governing is harder.

Diablos

LMAO

DFCFFlBXkAAW19f.jpg:large
Story of your life you FUCKING FRAUD.

Diablos

The Democratic Party image staying the exact same throughout all of this is pretty impressive to me, even if it's not particularly good.

"Americans will blame the Democrats for this!" No Trump, no they will not.

I'm not going to outright predict that Democrats will win the House majority in 2018, but them gaining seats and posting a significant lead in the generic ballot seems guaranteed. I just hope it's enough.
Impressive I guess in the sense that it hasn't moved one way or the other.

But let's be real. It essentially says "we suck less" as of right now. Dems can't let their guard down and need to campaign hard next year.

This horrible congress has to pass a budget and raise the debt ceiling within the next 2 months. We're fucked. The President and ruling party don't not own stuff by just claiming they don't, lol. The GOP controls the entirety of government + the Senate has changed the rules repeatedly just to try to make stuff easier on themselves and still can't pull it off. They're on the hook for absolutely everything. Never mind the twisted, inhuman logic behind hoping people suffer so much they might come back and negotiate.

This might be perfect.

I think every time republicans take control we see a ton of stories about how "genius" their leaders are. They were doing it about Paul Ryan recently, too.

It's a symptom of the media's process obsession. Republicans are really good at winning elections, which the media translates into being really good at actually governing. That this is consistently proven to be bullshit has yet to give them pause, oddly.

Impressive I guess in the sense that it hasn't moved one way or the other.

But let's be real. It essentially says "we suck less" as of right now. Dems can't let their guard down and need to campaign hard next year.
Of course not, but Democrats haven't really been in the spotlight for a while, as to be expected when they're the minority party with a new administration.

Midterm elections are always referendums on the party in the White House, but we'll need to get our act together with a positive message for 2020.

The FC is not going to vote for a debt ceiling raise at all in any way, so they'll have to work with Democrats or risk a shut down.

...a shut down where they control everything would be... something.

A failure to organize a debt ceiling vote wouldn't just shut down the government, it'd basically blow up the world economy. There's probably enough house R's out there who'd vote across the aisle to make sure that doesn't happen, at least on a clean bill.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the Government shutting down after September at this point. The fight over the border wall, budget cuts, etc. will be NASTY to say the least. Not just between the R's but the Democrats sure as fuck aren't hopping onboard with border wall money and other horrid shit in the Trump budget.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I predict the FC makes crazy demands, Ryan can't pass it with only R vote, and has to beg Nancy for the votes. She delivers, for a price.

There's no price Pelosi can really ask for. The Democrats aren't insane and don't intend to jeopardize the global economy, it's not like they are going to say 'no, we won't vote to raise the debt ceiling without concession X!" because there's literally no concession that's better than the absence of global economic melt-down.

Loxley

Of all of Trump's utterly baffling responses to this, the one that gets me most is the whole "Fine, fuckers. We'll let Obamacare fail and then you'll be begging us to replace it." Like, what kind of sadistic, petty asshole do you have to be to want to see millions of Americans suffer just to make a point? I know, I know. It's Trump, he's said this in the past, but still - I just can't fucking believe that a sitting President would say something so evil publicly and be proud he said it.

I look forward to Obamacare's approval numbers getting higher over the next couple of years you piece of shit.

Diablos

I predict the FC makes crazy demands, Ryan can't pass it with only R vote, and has to beg Nancy for the votes. She delivers, for a price.
Sure hope so.

Or it could go the other way and the FC tries to make it a poison pill for everything they want. You never know.

There's no price Pelosi can really ask for. The Democrats aren't insane and don't intend to jeopardize the global economy, it's not like they are going to say 'no, we won't vote to raise the debt ceiling without concession X!" because there's literally no concession that's better than the absence of global economic melt-down.
maybe Pelosi has become accelerationist

I've pretty much resigned myself to the Government shutting down after September at this point. The fight over the border wall, budget cuts, etc. will be NASTY to say the least. Not just between the R's but the Democrats sure as fuck aren't hopping onboard with border wall money and other horrid shit in the Trump budget.
tbh I just expect Pelosi to eat their lunch.

Media will spin it as a win for Democrats and Trump will be furious, again.

Ogodei

No budget=shutdown
No debt ceiling raise=global economic meltdown

To be clear.

Yeah, the debt ceiling has to happen or wealthy congressmen themselves would be badly effected (what good is the stock market if faith in US government bonds is shaken? Bad for anyone who doesn't liquidate the day before the bad news comes out). Pelosi couldn't quite name her price for getting debt ceiling votes through, but Ryan's need is far greater than hers in that scenario.

A shutdown would be a shitshow but hardly unexpected, especially with how completely half-assed the last couple shutdowns were.

What a shutdown should be is that everybody works but nobody gets paid. All government checks are stopped, so no procurement can occur. People who are involved in procurement are furloughed but everyone else goes into wage arrears instead of this half-assed "essential personnel" crap.

Diablos

The FC is not going to vote for a debt ceiling raise at all in any way, so they'll have to work with Democrats or risk a shut down.

...a shut down where they control everything would be... something.
And yet I imagined that. I edited my post to omit "debt ceiling fight" but why do I have a feeling that's still going to happen? Ugh

Pelosi's been taking them to the cleaners repeatedly on this stuff. This will be no different.
That's because Pelosi actually has an interest in legislating.

It's pretty obvious Ryan has no interest in this kind of stuff other than grandiose visions of destroying the social safety net.

JettDash

Not her fault if the Republicans can't pass a bill on their own, if he needs Democrats, he has to pay.

I mean if he says no help him anyway. Good chance it would work though.

I wonder how Obama feels today

His legacy is secure and has endured a SC trial from a conservative leaning SC, and now total control over the entire government by the GOP. And still the law ticks on. It might not be in perfect shape, but it's there, and it's his, and it'll continue to grow.

pigeon

Banned

We should ask for the permanent retiring of the debt ceiling, since it serves no purpose.

I wonder how Obama feels today

His legacy is secure and has endured a SC trial from a conservative leaning SC, and now total control over the entire government by the GOP. And still the law ticks on. It might not be in perfect shape, but it's there, and it's his, and it'll continue to grow.
That's why the GOP won't pass a fix bill. The minute they do it becomes bipartisan legislation and Obama's legacy is forever cemented as one of the greatest presidents in history.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We should ask for the permanent retiring of the debt ceiling, since it serves no purpose.

You would lose lots of votes for this. More pragmatically, you could just allow it to rise with inflation, which is such a technical change nobody would care.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
"Let's repeal now with a 2 year delay, so we could work up a deal"

Ok when did the aca pass? March 23, 2010. .

You have had 7 years to come up with something.

It doesn't even have the votes to make it to the floor to get a vote. They're just embarrassing themselves further at this point.

Just Murkowski + Collins is enough to kill it with McCain out. This is a nonsense plan and is just making McConnell look like a sad, desperate little man whose afraid he might be kicked out of being in charge.

Congrats GOP. You sold your soul to trump and you get nothing.

What soul?

Also they never stood a chance at passing any bill even with any republican leading the charge. The best chance they may have had would have been a quick repeal bill before the public realized they were all fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom