• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's my boy Chris Christie at
25/69. I was just surprised that Brownback is as unpopular as he is. NJ governor is almost a guaranteed pickup for the Democrats so at worst we'll just break even this year if we lost VA governorship, although that post is far more valuable.

Dem governors with approval above 50%: Jerry Brown (52/37), John Hickenlooper (56/29), John Carney (52/30), John Bel Edwards (58/29), Mark Dayton (53/35), Steve Bullock (59/28), Andrew Cuomo (60/30), Roy Cooper (53/28), Kate Brown (53/33), Terry McAuliffe (52/30), Jay Inslee (52/31), Jim Justice (51/34).

Wonder how Cooper would do as a presidential nominee tbh

25/69. I was just surprised that Brownback is as unpopular as he is. NJ governor is almost a guaranteed pickup for the Democrats so at worst we'll just break even this year if we lost VA governorship, although that post is far more valuable.

Dem governors with approval above 50%: Jerry Brown (52/37), John Hickenlooper (56/29), John Carney (52/30), John Bel Edwards (58/29), Mark Dayton (53/35), Steve Bullock (59/28), Andrew Cuomo (60/30), Roy Cooper (53/28), Kate Brown (53/33), Terry McAuliffe (52/30), Jay Inslee (52/31), Jim Justice (51/34).

Wonder how Cooper would do as a presidential nominee tbh

Cuomo is the most popular Dem governor in the country?

...uh okay

Someone in OT raised the possibility of Trump's firing Elaine Chao because of this mess.

I might die laughing.

And Roy Cooper can be my cute southern daddy any time.

8th person is John Oliver's doppleganger

ike.jpg

...uh okay

I don't get it, honestly. Like, I get why he keeps winning stuff, because he... basically runs the state like something out of the machine politics days... but that doesn't really make him popular, and you'd think the MTA's woes would be enough to bring him down.

8th person is John Oliver's doppleganger

ike.jpg

I saw Oliver on Colbert for the first time in a long time recently. Dude got kinda fat.

Morning Consult isn't a great pollster but still, maybe we should try to convince someone credible to run against Walker. Crazy thought, I know.
Evers could be a compelling candidate. Dude has punched far above his weight as state superintendent, electorally speaking.

...uh okay
Eh, he's accomplished a fair amount. NY being the media center of the universe shines a bigger light on his achievements ($15 minimum wage, gay marriage etc). The NY Senate makes for a convenient punching bag to make up for his shortcomings, even though he clearly prefers having Republicans in control there (for that exact reason!).

Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto 7m7 minutes ago

Just in: @SenFeinstein says #SpecialCounsel Mueller gave Senate Judiciary all-clear to interview Don Jr and Manafort in public session

Get Ready for Amnesia TV.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get it, honestly. Like, I get why he keeps winning stuff, because he... basically runs the state like something out of the machine politics days... but that doesn't really make him popular, and you'd think the MTA's woes would be enough to bring him down.

I saw Oliver on Colbert for the first time in a long time recently. Dude got kinda fat.

Only like half of NYC knows he has any power over the MTA. As more people find out, and the shit gets worse, those numbers will change.

Didn't we have polling months ago that showed that people would still entirely blame Trump on the "let it fail" plan? When you're in power, you get blamed for everything that happens, good and bad. It's just how it works. His plan is literally to look incompetent and then hope enough of Congress starts to promise him more of what he wants.

I don't know why I'm still surprised by anything Trump says. Lets set aside that had there been a vote it wouldn't have actually gotten 48 votes. Once it wasn't at 50 the Profiles in Courage Who Opposed the Bill in Secret All Along would have come out of the woodwork. It's supposed to be impressive to get a large number of Republican votes for a Republican bill? And what did he do anyway? Send some tweets, meet with Senators who were already voting for it, and play with toys on the White House lawn?

Didn't we have polling months ago that showed that people would still entirely blame Trump on the "let it fail" plan? When you're in power, you get blamed for everything that happens, good and bad. It's just how it works. His plan is literally to look incompetent and then hope enough of Congress starts to promise him more of what he wants.
I get why the GOP would still be reluctant to pass any sort of fix to Obamacare. The minute they cooperate with the Democrats they're giving the law their stamp of approval and it's firmly established as an uncontroversial part of American government. Democrats wrote it, Republicans improved it, what's to complain about? The only people who would still have any partisan reason to impulsively hate the law are weird libertarian/tea party types who hate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid too.

But they're fighting a losing battle and it's clear that enough Republicans in the Senate genuinely want to work with Democrats on this.

Happy my Governor (Tom Wolf) is moving up. Even though the PA state government is a bit of a mess right now and a budget impasse, he's at least shown a willingness to work across the aisle. He's exacted some level of pension reform and is moving forward on his education agenda which is a big reason my family voted for him.

Not to mention, he and the democratic AG Josh Shapiro are doing bang up work on the opiod epidemic in the state and Wolf has been a big advocate for the ACA. To say that I'd like to see him re-elected is an understatement.

The knives are out.
I was just wondering if McConnell or Ryan were going to face honest-to-God leadership coups soon.

McConnell fucked this hard. I never would have imagined McConnell would prove to be more incompetent than Ryan who at least got a bill passed (granted, knowing that whatever he came up with would be overwritten by the Senate).

For all the talk about "we need to replace Pelosi RIGHT NOW" the Republican leaders are even more unpopular and way way way even more incompetent.

Presidency. House. Senate. Nothing done before recess. Amazing.

I can't even blame McConnell fully. How could anyone operate with Trump constantly fucking everything up, Price as HHS, etc.

Zolo

I was just wondering if McConnell or Ryan were going to face honest-to-God leadership coups soon.

McConnell fucked this hard. I never would have imagined McConnell would prove to be more incompetent than Ryan who at least got a bill passed (granted, knowing that whatever he came up with would be overwritten by the Senate).

For all the talk about "we need to replace Pelosi RIGHT NOW" the Republican leaders are even more unpopular and way way way even more incompetent.

Nah. I'd definitely say Ryan's much more incompetent. The House is just much easier than the Senate.

teiresias

Will Trump legit not let the HHS funds the CSR's and just let it collapse? Can he even do this legally? He seems to have given up on full repeal going by this.

https://www.axios.com/trump-let-oba...nic&utm_content=textshort&utm_term=healthcare

Could the Congress, with the GOP desperate not to have collapse on their watch, pass a bill that took that funding out of the hands of the executive? If so they would have to wrap it into a must pass piece of legislation because they certainly wouldn't have the numbers for a veto override.

except for Voldemort (I mean what the fuck Florida you are literally the most likely place to get fucked over by climate change) the bad news isn't *that* bad. Hogan and Baker are lame and it sucks that people get boners for moderate Rs but they won't be that bad. Shit numbers for Walker or Snyder on the other hand means we have a chance to make big improvements.

Speaking of those governors numbers, I'd love to see some non-Morning Consult numbers on Rauner post-budget. He's clearly vulnerable, especially with having to run in a midterm with Trump in the Oval Office. Not to mention he's in full-on meltdown mode right now, having fired most of his staff (plus others resigning in protest) to replace them with right-wing think tank people.

That having been said, I have concerns about how good of a candidate we'll be putting up. Kennedy has no organization, negative charisma, and anemic fundraising. Pritzker has the organization and enough money not to have to really worry about fundraising, but he has so much baggage (being close to both Madigan and Blagojevich is kind of impressive given how much they hated each other) and just does not come across as impressive at all in interviews. I think he'd be the best foil for the anti-tax/anti-Madigan strategy Rauner is telegraphing. Maybe someone like Biss will catch on.

Ogodei

Who would even replace McConnell? Cornyn's seemed clueless throughout this whole affair. Probably someone who sits about where McConnell does ideologically (hard right but not in crazytown, so Cruz, Lee, Paul, Cotton, and the Idaho/Wyoming boys are out).

Thune is the number 3. Maybe he'll leapfrog over Cornyn?

Who would even replace McConnell? Cornyn's seemed clueless throughout this whole affair. Probably someone who sits about where McConnell does ideologically (hard right but not in crazytown, so Cruz, Lee, Paul, Cotton, and the Idaho/Wyoming boys are out).

Thune is the number 3. Maybe he'll leapfrog over Cornyn?

Thune looks like the handsome politician straight from central casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom