• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really agree

MAGA works because

- It's catchy and easy to remember
- Flexible. It can be adjusted to "make cars great again" "make our military great again" and so on, while still being part of the overall brand of "great again." Whenever I see ____ great again, I instantly think of Trump.
- It can follow in speeches from literally everything, while still sounding natural. "We're taking our country back from 'them' and we'll make America great again"
- It attacks Obama at the same time as propping Trump up. America is terrible right now because of "him", and only I can fix it, but said in just four words.

It's actually a really well designed slogan.

Meh, they'd probably have voted anyway
Yup, and don't forget the nostalgia part of it too. 'member?

The shooting thing I had alluded to yesterday helping Handel

Wouldn't anything help an (R) tho as long as it's opposition?

- Any positive LGBT ruling/news
"(R)s say they're now more likely to vote"

- Dem says saying outrageous

- Repub says they're gonna take away everyone's health insurance

"McCain is going to win, the masses have been brainwashed by Fox News."

"These polls are too close, I think Romney has this."

"Trump is going to win."

"See, I'm practically Nostradamus."

Wouldn't anything help an (R) tho as long as it's opposition?

- Any positive LGBT ruling/news

- Dem says saying outrageous

- Repub says they're gonna take away everyone's health insurance

Not in this district. GA-6 is prime for Dems, it is among the top most educated districts in the US:

SYgRtfn.png

They would be more worried about extremist left than gay marriage being legal.

That's how polling works. The sample size needed to get solid predictions is typically a tiny fraction of the population. There's also a lot of well-researched math around guessing the limits of your own data and analyses

Indeed, the standard margin of error calculations are based on an infinitely large population. The true margin of error on a poll is larger than said calculation would imply, but not because of sample size but rather because the sample isn't truly random.

Garrett Haake‏Verified account
@GarrettHaake

.@SenTedCruz - part of GOP working group on healthcare: "We’re not there yet—the current draft doesn’t do nearly enough to lower premiums"

AHCA may still pass the senate but its starting to look like McConnell is setting deadline of the July 4th recess and hoping it drives people rather than actually getting the votes first.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't really agree

MAGA works because

- It's catchy and easy to remember
- Flexible. It can be adjusted to "make cars great again" "make our military great again" and so on, while still being part of the overall brand of "great again." Whenever I see ____ great again, I instantly think of Trump.
- It can follow in speeches from literally everything, while still sounding natural. "We're taking our country back from 'them' and we'll make America great again"
- It attacks Obama at the same time as propping Trump up. America is terrible right now because of "him", and only I can fix it, but said in just four words.

It's actually a really well designed slogan.

Oh, it's a well-designed slogan. I just don't think it mattered.

Look at advertising and how much of it has gone away from the catchphrase-driven slogans of the 80s and 90s. People just don't care any more.

Oh, it's a well-designed slogan. I just don't think it mattered.

Look at advertising and how much of it has gone away from the catchphrase-driven slogans of the 80s and 90s. People just don't care any more.

I'm actually more amazed how much the "It's locker room talk(tm)" slogan worked out better for the president.

Blader

AHCA may still pass the senate but its starting to look like McConnell is setting deadline of the July 4th recess and hoping it drives people rather than actually getting the votes first.

What was their timeline again? To deliver the draft by end of this week, or early next week, to get a mid-week CBO score and then a Thursday floor vote?

Its another con job. He is going to say the ACHA is horrible, mean, all the other things that have already been attached to it. Then on Thursday when the new bill comes out the narrative will be "we fixed it!" and they will try to ram it through.

It HAS to go through the house again, right? Unless they don't change anything?

rjinaz

Its another con job. He is going to say the ACHA is horrible, mean, all the other things that have already been attached to it. Then on Thursday when the new bill comes out the narrative will be "we fixed it!" and they will try to ram it through.

Trump used to say things like "we can't be having people dying on the streets, we have to take care of the poor. Then he personally spearheads a healthcare bill that will literally do the exact opposite of exactly what he said he wanted. He is a walking contradiction incapable of any thought that isn't what's best for Trump. "These people want to hear me say I care about poor people so I will, but, this bill will give me and my friends tax cuts so I'm going with that".

Blader

Trump used to say things like "we can't be having people dying on the streets, we have to take care of the poor. Then he personally spearheads a healthcare bill that will literally do the exact opposite of exactly what he said he wanted. He is a walking contradiction incapable of any thought that isn't what's best for Trump. "These people want to hear me say I care about poor people so I will, but, this bill will give me and my friends tax cuts so I'm going with that".

He doesn't read the bills. He doesn't know what's in them, he only knows what the media is saying about them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

100% this.

Teggy

A Vox reporter interviewed people in various fast food/casual restaurants around GA-06. Its alternately funny and scary. Especially he ran into a bunch of young people who aren't going to vote.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/876936460594798593

Jeff Stein @JStein_Vox

"Progressivism? That's just another name for Maoism, another sect of it," says Richard Decker, 69. Not a good start

Jeff Stein @JStein_Vox
·
11h

Neek & Q funny, smart. Hate Trump. Anti-rich, pro-choice, anti-war, pro-LGBT

Why not vote Dem?

After 90 mins, still got no idea

\_(ツ)_/¯

Slacker

My conservative dumbass news intake is way down these days (deleted a few people on social media after the election, those who remain have been quiet as shit thanks to how their party is operating lately), but I still get the occasional update. Current headline on my FB feed: NPR: 25 Million Votes For Clinton "Completely Fake" - A study published by NPR reveals that 25 million Hillary Clinton votes were "fraudulent," meaning she lost the popular vote by a huge margin.

Obviously I don't need to debunk this here, as you can assume NPR said no such thing (they were talking about inaccurate voter registration records, not actual votes). And yet idiots gleefully cry out I KNEW IT and hit the share button.

Can you even imagine the conspiracy involved in casting 25+ MILLION votes illegally? Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of conspirators working all over the country at a cost surely in the billions of dollars, but somehow not in the states Clinton needed to win to go over the top. Come on people.

Can't imagine why anyone would be excited to vote for Ossoff unless they just don't like Trump or the GOP. Which is motivating for some, sure. But enough?

Is this where you wish he more inspiring candidate in the vein of Bernieism?
To be fair, I've only read the national coverage of his campaign but it doesn't seem very inspiring to me. I know about the makeup of the district and how it makes certain things hard to run on, I just think turning out people on your side is more important and easier to do than changing Republican minds. And if you want ideas about what Democratic voters want, yeah, they want Bernie's policies.

kirblar

To be fair, I've only read the national coverage of his campaign but it doesn't seem very inspiring to me. I know about the makeup of the district and how it makes certain things hard to run on, I just think turning out people on your side is more important and easier to do than changing Republican minds. And if you want ideas about what Democratic voters want, yeah, they want Bernie's policies.
The Democratic voters in Ossoff's district do not want Bernie's policies.

(And the Democrats didn't want Bernie either, he lost them 2:1 in the primaries!)

Again with this "secret majority" shit.

To win in these districts, we need to flip Is/GOPs off of the republicans.

Except in Montana.

pigeon

Banned

"I don't actually live in the district or know anything about this guy's campaign, but I'm guessing he sucks and will lose."

I don't know what this thread used to do without you.

Valhelm

contribute something
Voting is secret!

And? You can agree with a Democrat's platform 100% but still be convinced that libarals hate white people or only care about people living on the coasts. Ideology runs really, really deep, especially if your family and neighbors are all proud conservatives. A lot of people, particularly suburban and rural whites, internalize these attitudes even they go against their material interests or political convictions.

"I don't actually live in the district or know anything about this guy's campaign, but I'm guessing he sucks and will lose."

I don't know what this thread used to do without you.

Ah yes, the endless spree of posts complaining that people don't just automatically vote for Democrats is much more useful. I'll be gone!

Frank Thorp V‏Verified account
@frankthorp

Sen McCain says he's not satisfied w/ how GOP is handling the healthcare bill, complaining no one has seen it.

Frank Thorp V‏Verified account @frankthorp

MCCAIN: "We used to complain like hell when the democrats ran the Affordable Care Act, now we're doing the same thing."

MAVERICK

kirblar

Ah yes, the endless spree of posts complaining that people don't just automatically vote for Democrats is much more useful. I'll be gone!
As opposed to the endless spree of posts from your complaining that Dems aren't adopting your policy preferences?

Populism is white and rural. That does not describe the Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom