• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

Yes, but I think some enthusiasm necessary for 2018 is lost if Ossoff doesn't pull it.

And who knows what happens until late 2018
I think this Ossoff race turned into a referendum for the election for a lot of people. Him losing should curb anyone's enthusiasm, unless they live in this district and wanted a Democrat win. Someone in PA being discouraged from 2018 by this would be ridiculous.

Yes, but I think some enthusiasm necessary for 2018 is lost if Ossoff doesn't pull it.

We're a year and a half away from midterms. Nobody is going to remember Ossoff or this race by then.

A lot of pressure is being put on this race, that I don't think is warranted.

If Ossoff's 1-2% margin loss is applied through 2018, Democrats still win a comfortable majority

GA-6 doesn't tell us much about the midterms.

What will happen is if Ossoff loses, Dem recruitment will take a hit, while GOP recruitment will boom because people will believe that Trump's unpopularity doesn't mean Republican leaning districts will vote for the Democrat.

shem935

Banned
I mean even badnate said that ossoff's chances were 50/50.

If there is one thing neoliberal establishment dems have been able to rig it's coin flips.

GA-6 doesn't tell us much about the midterms.

What will happen is if Ossoff loses, Dem recruitment will take a hit, while GOP recruitment will boom because people will believe that Trump's unpopularity doesn't mean Republican leaning districts will vote for the Democrat.

If we understand that special elections have limited predictive value for the mid-terms I'm sure people thinking about spending a year of their life running for office have the same data.

Blader

Barring a massively embarrassing career-ending loss today, Ossoff will have to run again in 2018 anyway, so that enthusiasm will come right back!

dramatis

There will probably be calls for recounts for a while if it's going to be super close.

I almost don't expect conclusive results today or tomorrow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think my only disappointment will be if Ossoff loses by more than 1.5%, which is what Trump won by in that area.

Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account @BraddJaffy

Trump's FBI director nominee removed reference to case involving Russian government from law firm bio http://cnn.it/2sLgBOh via @KFILE

Move along, nothing to see here.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I thought this was an interesting quote about the energy company executive who he represented:

"The executive is an American citizen and lives in the United States," she continued. "During the course of the dispute, the Russian government sought to exert leverage against this executive and the company by initiating a criminal investigation in Russia against him. Chris and the firm were engaged to handle the U.S. legal issues that arose from the situation."

Could this be Tillerson? They couldn't be that crazy, though....could they?

PBY

Banned
If Ossof loses, don't think it means anything. But no moral victories - it's still a massive failure.

Also - I'm so so so done with Russia.

Blader

Yep, it's why everyone is interested in the prosecutors from NY, and why firing Preet Bharara was such a shock.

As to GA, I think Handel will eek it out.

Yeah, I think Schneiderman is investigating Manafort, isn't he? In which case, any charges that arise from there also couldn't be pardoned by Trump?

If Ossof loses, don't think it means anything. But no moral victories - it's still a massive failure.

Also - I'm so so so done with Russia.

Doesn't mean anything, just a massive failure for the party and base. lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Pixieking

Banned
Anyone else see the ad for Paul Ryan's opponent in 2018? Ryan's going to be in some trouble:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877161989956653057

Yeah, it's a great ad. Interesting that he's using the same phrasing as Hillary did during the campaign - "We can do so much more", "We're so much stronger if we carry them with us", and "We can do so much better, together".

Regarding GA-06, Nate Silver has an interesting article up on 538

Why The Georgia Special Election Matters

Here’s the thing, though: Sometimes dumb things matter if everyone agrees that they matter. Congressional Republicans could use a signal of any kind right now to coordinate their strategy around two vexing issues: first, their health care bill, and second, their behavior toward President Trump and the investigations surrounding him.

And in the final paragraph
In either case, the narrative that emerges from the Georgia 6 runoff will lack nuance and will oversimplify complex evidence.

Which is undoubtedly going to be true.

Yeah, it's a great ad. Interesting that he's using the same phrasing as Hillary did during the campaign - "We can do so much more", "We're so much stronger if we carry them with us", and "We can do so much better, together".
Someone the other day, I forget who, was pointing out that the generic, lame, forgettable democratic slogan from 2006 in which we picked up 31 seats was "together, America can do better."

"A random sample of 1,117 adults..." that is not a particularly reliable poll.
That's how polling works. The sample size needed to get solid predictions is typically a tiny fraction of the population. There's also a lot of well-researched math around guessing the limits of your own data and analyses

Regarding GA-06, Nate Silver has an interesting article up on 538

Why The Georgia Special Election Matters

And in the final paragraph

Which is undoubtedly going to be true.

This seems like a very good summary of the implications of GA-06. Practically Ossoff losing by one or two points will have very little impact on how the Democrats approach the next 18 months leading up to the mid-terms. Him winning could provide elected Republicans with a justification to break with Trump and further bog down his agenda.

Approval for Trump among Republicans is now 72%. Isn't that the point of no return/when the GOP should start jumping ship? It's only going to crater from here.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/20/steep-drop-among-republican-support-for-donald-tru/

This is where GA-6 matters.

if Rs are winning house seat with Trump at 36% approval, why would they abandon him?

Polls last couple of days haven't been kind for Ossoff.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/0...ossoff-and-handel-deadlocked-in-georgias-6th/

The shooting thing I had allueded to yesterday helping Handel

The poll showed a majority of voters who had yet to cast their ballots said the recent shootings had no effect on their decision. About one-third of election-day voters said the attack would make them ”more likely" to cast their ballots, and most of those were Republican.

Plinko

Someone the other day, I forget who, was pointing out that the generic, lame, forgettable democratic slogan from 2006 in which we picked up 31 seats was "together, America can do better."

I'm not convinced slogans mean anything any more.

Polls last couple of days haven't been kind for Ossoff.

One poll had him losing (within the MoE)

And some mediocre ones showing them tied

These aren't outside the range of polls that would exist if he was in the lead by 1-2 points

I'm not convinced slogans mean anything any more.

How can you say that on the back of Make America Great Again?

It's arguably one of the most successful campaign slogans of modern history.

Plinko

How can you say that on the back of Make America Great Again?

It's arguably one of the most successful campaign slogans of modern history.

Because I think he could have had just about anything on that hat and the underlying racism/sexism would have carried him to the presidency.

Blader

One-third of election-day Republican voters saying they were more compelled to vote because of the baseball shooting is exactly the kind of thing I imagine happening. Particularly ironic considering their party's stance on gun control in the first place!

Seriously the way any Republican has their balls fondled (ask the President for the female equivalent of this phrase) by the (((liberal))) media every time they step out of line from the GOP orthodoxy (when 99% of the time they don't act on it) is fucking embarrassing and probably single-handedly responsible for all of our current problems.

Like when every Democratic Senator started coming out in favor of same-sex marriage and the media would tut tut at the holdouts, whereas any Republican Senator (which maybe ended up being like 2 or 3?) had a fucking parade thrown in their honor for bravely saying they support it because their nephew is gay but it should be a state's rights issue or some shit.

Btw when Democrats take back everything they should pass the Equality Act and roll in the Respect for Marriage Act. Codify that shit in case SCOTUS ever has an antigay majority.

Walker is so transparent too. Is it an election year? Time to make a big show of how moderate he is with some ultimately pretty meaningless gestures. Then the moment he's re-elected it's time to take a hard turn to the right. See the passage of right-to-work in 2015.

Because I think he could have had just about anything on that hat and the underlying racism/sexism would have carried him to the presidency.

I don't really agree

MAGA works because

- It's catchy and easy to remember
- Flexible. It can be adjusted to "make cars great again" "make our military great again" and so on, while still being part of the overall brand of "great again." Whenever I see ____ great again, I instantly think of Trump.
- It can follow in speeches from literally everything, while still sounding natural. "We're taking our country back from 'them' and we'll make America great again"
- It attacks Obama at the same time as propping Trump up. America is terrible right now because of "him", and only I can fix it, but said in just four words.

It's actually a really well designed slogan.

One-third of election-day Republican voters saying they were more compelled to vote because of the baseball shooting is exactly the kind of thing I imagine happening. Particularly ironic considering their party's stance on gun control in the first place!

Meh, they'd probably have voted anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom