• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone think Rand Paul is a hard no?

Paul has said that he'll vote no unless the bill repeals tax credits for premium insurance plans. Something no other Republican is even talking about. Given that Kentucky may be the state hit hardest by the Medicare cuts some have speculated that he's setting a standard that can't be met to prevent the bill from passing.

Is there a chart or break down/calculator that you can do to find out how the bill will effect you?

I have mine through employer, but was wondering how it would effect me...

Really need Collins, Heller and Paul to stay Nos.

What kills me is the Collins-Cassidy bill wouldn't be nearly as terrible (even if it's worse than ACA), but no, we have to pass the bill that kills everyone.

I wonder if we could convince some Republicans to call in and complain that this isn't "Repeal and Replace" this is just Obamacare-lite and they will primary them because they're breaking their promise.

Is there a chart or break down/calculator that you can do to find out how the bill will effect you?

If you have employer health care this won't directly impact you. Over time everyone is going to suffer as hospitals either shut down entirely or jack up prices to account for having to treat sick people who no longer have insurance.

Paul has said that he'll vote no unless the bill repeals tax credits for premium insurance plans. Something no other Republican is even talking about. Given that Kentucky may be the state hit hardest by the Medicare cuts some have speculated that he's setting a standard that can't be met to prevent the bill from passing.
Well, I hope he sticks by it, I just don't have any faith in Rand Paul abiding by his principles in the final analysis.

Really need Collins, Heller and Paul to stay Nos.

What kills me is the Collins-Cassidy bill wouldn't be nearly as terrible (even if it's worse than ACA), but no, we have to pass the bill that kills everyone.

Doesn't that bill also propose to change Medicaid to a block grant rather than need-based system or something like that?

wtf is Johnson doing as a "no"? And he sounds oddly serious about it, too. Is happy to defend the Medicaid cuts but still won't commit and says a vote next week is too soon.

............Huh.

Doesn't that bill also propose to change Medicaid to a block grant rather than need-based system or something like that?
I just remember it at least giving states the option to keep ACA.

Given our current status in state government there might have been like ten states tops that did that, but it was a nice gesture.

Diablos

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) slammed Senate Republicans' healthcare overhaul bill on Friday, saying that it's grounded in "propping up" insurance companies.

He also called for the creation of a healthcare law that would reduce insurance costs to as little as $1 a day for at least some consumers.

"What I'd like to do is legalize inexpensive Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) slammed Senate Republicans' healthcare overhaul bill on Friday, saying that it's grounded in "propping up" insurance companies.

He also called for the creation of a healthcare law that would reduce insurance costs to as little as $1 a day for at least some consumers.

"What I'd like to do is legalize inexpensive insurance, and you should be able to get insurance for $1 a day. I mean, you really should," Paul said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "The insurance companies make all the money; all of this is predicated upon still propping up the insurance companies."insurance, and you should be able to get insurance for $1 a day. I mean, you really should," Paul said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "The insurance companies make all the money; all of this is predicated upon still propping up the insurance companies."

How did I miss this? Insurance for $1 a day. 😂😂😂

Maybe we can do a Humble Healthcare Bundle! $1 for a whole month of care, $20 for added generic prescription coverage!

365 dollar a year insurance is a pipedream unless the government runs its own insurance company.

If my work didn't cover most of it, 365 would be more than my single person insurance for one month!

kirblar

How did I miss this? Insurance for $1 a day. ������

Maybe we can do a Humble Healthcare Bundle! $1 for a whole month of care, $20 for added generic prescription coverage!
Why is Rand Paul pushing single payer?

$1 insurance, BTA is generic drug coverage, and $20 is splurging on dental.
Why is Rand Paul pushing single payer?
It's a Libertarian thing lately to want to offer health insurance to all in order to stabilize that part of the economy and take a lot of the uncertainty away from their desires of being able to do whatever the hell they want to every other aspect of people's lives. I mean, they're not wrong (about the health care part).

kirblar

A lot of (non-ideologue) libertarians are for UBI, UHC, etc. - because they do see increased labor mobility and freedom to leave jobs as a good thing. This just isn't the methodology I'd expect for a UHC delivery system coming from that angle.

A lot of (non-ideologue) libertarians are for UBI, UHC, etc. - because they do see increased labor mobility and freedom to leave jobs as a good thing. This just isn't the methodology I'd expect for a UHC delivery system coming from that angle.
Also UBI would allow them to get rid of every other part of the welfare state. As long as UBI is enough to cover all basics like food, housing, medical, transport, etc, I'm okay with that in principle.

If the US ever gets anything close to a basic income because some coalition a libertarians with liberals I'll die laughing (with insurance, at least).
#breaking #CNN to use a courtroom sketch artist to cover today's #whbriefing #seriously @PressSec @WhiteHouse

https://twitter.com/kevincorke/status/878306849736597507

That is amazing.
You shouldn't feel that that bad for CNN (and everyone else). They're volunteering to turn off the cameras. There's no known enforcement of the policy other than "maybe they'll kick us out of the briefings so we won't be able to cover the news they're already refusing to share with us." The entire press corp are being cowards about this.

jmdajr

I'm figuring your employer will get crappier deals over time. Why offer you more when they aren't entitled to?

Ogodei

I wonder if we could convince some Republicans to call in and complain that this isn't "Repeal and Replace" this is just Obamacare-lite and they will primary them because they're breaking their promise.

Could probably @ a bunch of nutters like Ben Shapiro on twitter and see if it filters up through the grapevine.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
From what I have seen, it really is just the ACA, but worse. Is there anything objectively better to it, other than tax cuts?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
alright. Time for me to stop posting. LOL.

I'm losing train of thought and losing track who I am responding too. My bad.

I've done it, mentally I link posters with avatars, with just a few exceptions.

Some people insist on changing them, or they don't have one and it trips me up.

Whatever his motives it sounds like he's a pretty hard No.

And I think Sandoval might be able to talk some sense into Heller. He's the only truly vulnerable GOP Senator right now (Flake and Cruz going down would require a lot of things to go right) and supporting this trash, even if it ends up not passing would nuke his political career from orbit.

So does moderate savior Collins really go through with blowing up the economy over repealing a law she probably supports anyway? Does Murkowski, survivor of a primary loss vote to practically kill her state?

Moreover I don't think there will be just three No votes. There will either be the token two, or like with the first House bill a bunch to rats scurrying once they know the bill will fail and they have adequate cover to vote no.

Perhaps it's foolish, and perhaps there's more to be gained electorally by letting this pass, but I really don't want this bill to pass.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yeah, many of the regulations they hate are far less necessary with a UBI as employees regain a considerable amount of leverage. I'd be willing to make regulation changes, such as minimum wage, overtime pay, some safety regulations, Union restrictions, right to work laws, etc, if it means they would support a solid UBI bill.

Don't forget you can ditch food stamps, unemployment benefits, cash assistance and other welfare programs.

When people have the option to just not work, it's a powerful thing.

Ogodei

Whatever his motives it sounds like he's a pretty hard No.

And I think Sandoval might be able to talk some sense into Heller. He's the only truly vulnerable GOP Senator right now (Flake and Cruz going down would require a lot of things to go right) and supporting this trash, even if it ends up not passing would nuke his political career from orbit.

So does moderate savior Collins really go through with blowing up the economy over repealing a law she probably supports anyway? Does Murkowski, survivor of a primary loss vote to practically kill her state?

Moreover I don't think there will be just three No votes. There will either be the token two, or like with the first House bill a bunch to rats scurrying once they know the bill will fail and they have adequate cover to vote no.

Perhaps it's foolish, and perhaps there's more to be gained electorally by letting this pass, but I really don't want this bill to pass.

The electoral gains work either way:
AHCA Doesn't Pass
"The Republicans complain about the state of healthcare in this country, but they have no answers and refuse to do anything to fix it."
AHCA passes
"The Republicans let your dad die of prostate cancer."

From what I have seen, it really is just the ACA, but worse. Is there anything objectively better to it, other than tax cuts?

It was designed to cut taxes by slaughtering health programs and that's what it does. Unless you believe that freedom to buy a bad health plan matters

I mock these two women because I just can't understand them. They have incredible clout in their respective states. Murkowski ran a successful write-in campaign, and Collins could probably pull it off if she had to. They enjoy reputations as the reasonable moderates in the party. Sure, the party in general might be angry if they killed the bill, but their states would probably reward them for it. Why do they go along with this shit? What do they have to gain in their states, the only places that really matter? Do they really fear McConnell's turtle face or an angry Trump tweet that much?

The electoral gains work either way:
AHCA Doesn't Pass
"The Republicans complain about the state of healthcare in this country, but they have no answers and refuse to do anything to fix it."
AHCA passes
"The Republicans let your dad die of prostate cancer."
Yeah that's the thing, we can still craft a solid message around AHCA failing.

Wonder if a public option act can be a part of Nancy's 100 hour agenda.

I mock these two women because I just can't understand them. They have incredible clout in their respective states. Murkowski ran a successful write-in campaign, and Collins could probably pull it off if she had to. They enjoy reputations as the reasonable moderates in the party. Sure, the party in general might be angry if they killed the bill, but their states would probably reward them for it. Why do they go along with this shit? What do they have to gain in their states, the only places that really matter? Do they really fear McConnell's turtle face or an angry Trump tweet that much?
I mean fuck man, Collins could join the Green Party tomorrow and she'd still win her next election with 60% of the vote. They could catch her in bed with a live girl, and a dead boy, and a dead girl and that still would only drag her down to Likely R.

Suikoguy

I'm with you, I don't know what my Mom, who has MS, Addisons and Severe spinal issues from a car accident, will do without Medicaid, in particular the share of cost program in FL.

This fucking bill is effecting my sleep 😔

No Senator wants to be the "killing" vote, they would be singled out.

Barzul

And how does he intend to make something like this without government intervention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom