• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caj814 said:
Watching CNN it seems likely that the Republican convention is going to be focused on placing fear of another terrorist attack and claiming Obama isn't the right choice for 3 AM CALL!!!!!!
Red phone props are being printed up I bet.

BRAWLING ANCHORS ON MSNBC

p6_rj-pf-bh-cs.gif
p60a.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08272008/gossip/pagesix/brawling_anchors_on_msnbc_126236.htm

ANIMOSITY among MSNBC anchors has reached a mile-high peak at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, with on-air squabbling between such big egos as Joe Scarborough, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews and David Shuster.

Scarborough, who served in Congress as a Republican representative from Florida, seems to be particularly touchy being the only host who isn't openly pro-Democratic.

Yesterday, after Shuster referred to "your party, the Republican Party," Scarborough went off, sparking a seven-minute exchange.

"I will let you know that 'my party,' my party loathes me much more than your party, the Democratic Party, loathes me," Scarborough seethed. "What about your party? What's your party, David Shuster? David, what's your party?"

"I have no party. I'm a complete independent," Shuster replied.

"Oh, I feel so comforted by the fact that you're independent. I bet everyone at MSNBC has 'independent' on their voting cards," said Scarborough.

Scarborough declined to talk to Page Six, but sources say he and NBC anchor Tom Brokaw disagree with MSNBC's decision to position itself as the channel for George W. Bush-haters.

At a forum on Sunday, when Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell called MSNBC "the official network of the Obama campaign," Brokaw said, "I think Keith has gone too far. I think Chris has gone too far."

Insiders say Olbermann is pushing to have Brokaw banned from the network and is also refusing to have centrist Time magazine columnist Mike Murphy on his show.

"The idea of anyone trying to ban Tom Brokaw is ludicrous," said one MSNBC-er. Brokaw was on MSNBC for an hour yesterday afternoon. Murphy, who was bumped from Olbermann's show on Monday night, told us, "They told me technical problems and I have no reason not to believe them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWU4ZHerNhU&eur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk41FmnrX6o&eurl

sp0rsk said:
I have to admit I teared up pretty bad during the beginning, grandma sent me over.

I'm a pussy :/
Yeah, Biden's speech was very moving. I actually doubt Obama can match it emotionally. But he'll beat it in an inspirational manner.

Rove asks Lieberman to withdraw his name from VP process

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

“Rove called Lieberman,” recounted a second source. “Lieberman told him he would not make that call.”
Rove did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rove, President Bush’s former top campaign adviser and arguably the most prominent political operative of the past generation, has no formal role in McCain’s campaign. But he knows much of the Arizona senator’s high command and has been offering informal advice, both over the phone and in his position as a Fox News analyst, since McCain wrapped up the GOP nomination.

His decision to wade into the vice presidential selection process could provide Democrats fresh ammunition to tie McCain to the polarizing Bush.

Now with a majority of Americans believing that McCain would follow Bush's policies and Obama's campaign and surrogates linking McCain's campaign to "Rove politics" this sounds like a great way for McCain to select Lieberman and also say "Hey, I even went against Rove.. yada yada yada."

Just a thought...

the dems did a nice job delivering attacks, but I wonder if those attacks registered for the undecideds. Maybe they should have dumbed it down more.

Incognito said:

Now with a majority of Americans believing that McCain would follow Bush's policies and Obama's campaign and surrogates linking McCain's campaign to "Rove politics" this sounds like a great way for McCain to select Lieberman and also say "Hey, I even went against Rove.. yada yada yada."

Just a thought...

Theres your confirmation... Lieberman is the pick.

I bet a perma-ban...

not really... but yeah I am pretty sure

Gaborn

Karma Kramer said:
Theres your confirmation... Lieberman is the pick.

I bet a perma-ban...

not really... but yeah I am pretty sure

It would certainly get more headlines than Obama picking Biden did.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
laserbeam said:
I think MSNBC is gonna be going through some major changes after the election. pretty much all of their major people are fighting and doing so right on air for all to see.

Awwwwwwkward!

I have only been half-listening to the commentary these past few days, and I thought I heard some weird shit being thrown around.

Swift Return

...What was most remarkable about Kerry's endorsement, however, was not the endorsement itself but the run-up to it. After being courted by Obama and Clinton for nearly a year, Kerry finally decided, a few days after Christmas, to offer his endorsement to Obama. But Obama did not want it--at least, not at that moment. The Obama campaign (rightly, as it turned out) believed that it was already on its way to winning the Iowa caucus on January 3; it also (wrongly) believed that it would win the New Hampshire primary five days later. As Kerry later recalled for me, "We just agreed that ... we should let it have its own energy, not change that dynamic, and sort of hold it until it might be needed." And so, just before midnight on January 8, hours after getting pole- axed by Clinton in New Hampshire, Obama placed a call to Kerry to say he needed that endorsement now--that is, if Kerry was still willing to give it.

It's a general rule in politics that you don't keep endorsements in your back pocket, lest circumstances--and offers--change. In the case of an endorsement from Kerry, that rule would seem particularly apt. (A senior Clinton adviser says that, had Kerry offered Hillary his endorsement in late December, she would have announced it immediately; her campaign coveted Kerry's organized support in Iowa and New Hampshire, both of which he won in 2004.) Fair or not, Kerry has been dogged by a reputation for flip-flopping since even before the Bush campaign made it a central line of attack in his presidential run. For years, Democrats and pundits have complained that he lacks political backbone and that he can't be counted on when the chips are down. And, as Kerry himself realized, the chips were definitely down for Obama after New Hampshire. "The Hillary people, they were convinced that it was over--they'd punctured the balloon and it was done," Kerry says. "They'd won the big one, ... and they were going to win the rest of the states."

Given all this, any politician in Kerry's shoes that night might have been forgiven for telling Obama that he'd had some second thoughts, that (to borrow a phrase) he was for the endorsement before he was against it. But when Obama called, Kerry was ready with his answer. "Barack said, 'Do you still want to go down to South Carolina?'" Kerry recalls. "I said, 'Absolutely, let's go.'"

Since making his gutsy decision to endorse, Kerry has emerged as a powerful surrogate for Obama, regularly going to bat for him on the stump and on the TV talk shows, where he hews closely to the Obama campaign's talking points and offers criticism of John McCain that's far more withering than anything Obama himself could get away with. "John McCain is still stuck on the low-road express," Kerry said at a recent campaign event. "He doesn't get it. He's even dangerous, I think, for the direction of this country."

For those who remember Kerry as a lackluster and ham-fisted presidential candidate, this emergence has come as a surprise. "There's a wholeheartedness to [Kerry speaking about Obama] and a total lack of hesitancy and calculation that he always seems to have when he's speaking about himself," says one Democratic consultant. "A year ago, if you had asked [Obama strategists] David Axelrod and David Plouffe if they thought Kerry would be an important surrogate, they'd have laughed. But he's been fucking good." Kerry is even winning compliments from across the aisle. "If Kerry had conducted himself like this four years ago," says Republican strategist John Weaver, "he might have been elected president."...

Rest at link.

Jonm1010

Banned
Incognito said:

Just a thought...

So Lieberman's the pick then. Pretty sure the only reason this was leaked is to - using typical Rovian tactics - create a groundswell by saying the lieberman pick is going against the grain of traditional Bush politics and restate that McCain is a maverick and the bi-partisan leader we need.

EDIT: Is Rove also an unofficial adviser to McCain right now?

Jonm1010 said:
So Lieberman's the pick then. Pretty sure the only reason this was leaked is to - using typical Rovian tactics - create a groundswell by saying the lieberman pick is going against the grain of traditional Bush politics and restate that McCain is a maverick and the bi-partisan leader we need.

Yep... no other reason why they would leak this.

laserbeam

Banned
Jonm1010 said:

Rove has been told at least as far as we see it that he is not needed. That could be true but Rove is friends with so many strategists etc his hands are there even if not wanted

reilo

Lieberman as the VP pick :lol

Mass-exodus of deep red republicans, and all of his independent support squandered with one hit.

Tamanon

Banned
Jonm1010 said:

Yeah Rove is an unofficial adviser. I hope to GOD it's Lieberman. You could make a commercial just out of him correcting McCain about Iran/Al Qaeda:lol :lol

reilo

A lot of people raving about Kerry's speech as well, which struck me as beside the point. Yes, Kerry's was a very good speech, but in some ways an academic exercise. He's not on the ticket. He is correct on the arguments and right to be mad. It had a personal edge to it, given the story of the 2004 election.

But Biden's speech was far, far more important, because he had to emotionally connect voters who relate to his very personally told story with Barack Obama's American story. Taking people down that emotional path takes a kind of skill that is underappreciated, I think. Joe Biden did that. He drew people into his story, he told American stories in an authentic way, and then tied it to the Obama story. Neither of the Clintons did that for Obama. Hillary Clinton made the great appeal to her reluctant supporters to ask themselves why they supported her in the first place, but it wasn't a vouching for Obama from a story perspective, it was a policy perspective. Bill did even less in that regard. Yet Biden did the personal vouching for Obama, that his story was one that Americans can and should relate to. As I watched it I suspected other watchers were "getting it" in a way that doesn't sink in when Obama tells his own story. I felt the "click."

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/08/wednesday-night-liveblog-2-biden.html

Tobor

Lieberman, my goodness that would hilarious. Almost as comically stupid as Condi would have been. Please, please, please.

Diablos

Tobor said:
Lieberman, my goodness that would hilarious. Almost as comically stupid as Condi would have been. Please, please, please.
I am not so sure about that. Lieberman would attract a lot of moderate voters. He's pretty liberal except for when it comes to the war.

According to Rendell, Ridge on the ticket isn't going to happen.

Gov. Ed Rendell, talking to the Pennsylvania delegation this morning in Denver, said he'd be alerted that former Gov. Tom Ridge will be introducing John McCain at an event in Washington County, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, an indication that he would not join him on the ticket.

"Gov. Ridge is not going to be the running mate," Rendell said of Ridge.

Just as he was Hillary Clinton's most enthusiastic campaigner in Pennsylvania during the primary, the governor is the motivator-in-chief this week of a unified party. He urged the state's 187 delegates to rally behind Barack Obama this week in Denver.

"John McCain is no moderate, no progressive, no friend of women," he said. "Barack Obama is all of those things."

He added: "You cannot waste your vote, cannot waste your time."
http://blogs.mcall.com/penn_ave/2008/08/rendell-ridge-w.html

Please be true.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Diablos said:
I am not so sure about that. Lieberman would attract a lot of moderate voters. He's pretty liberal except for when it comes to the war.

Moderates hate him. Democrats hate him. Jews hate him. Even Conneticut, his home state, has him with an approval rating under 50%.

There is no constituency in the country that likes Lieberman right now.

Tamanon

Banned
ZealousD said:
Moderates hate him. Democrats hate him. Jews hate him. Even Conneticut, his home state, has him with an approval rating under 50%.

There is no constituency in the country that likes Lieberman right now.

I think AIPAC does, but a majority of them are in New York and won't be able to swing it. Although it MIGHT help a bit in Florida.

reilo

Tamanon said:
I think AIPAC does, but a majority of them are in New York and won't be able to swing it. Although it MIGHT help a bit in Florida.

The one demographic Obama needs to win the election, amirite?!

HylianTom

Banned
Lieberman? Heads would explode. And while deep red turnout would plummet, deep blue turnout would ratchet-up even further.

Pawlenty? Biden would eviscerate him during the debate. Minnesota will be blue, even with Pawlenty on the ticket.

Romney? Lots of deep reds won't vote for him either, be it for his flip-flopping from "liberal" positions while MA governor, or for his religion.
(I also wonder how your average voter would react to "The Seamus Story")

Hutchison? Nope. She'd have to turn that penis into a vagina in order to have a chance with the GOP base. And then they'd still refuse vote for "him" because "he" would be a tranny.

McCain has no easy choices. Has there ever been a negative running mate bounce? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom