• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
HylianTom said:
Lieberman? Heads would explode. And while deep red turnout would plummet, deep blue turnout would ratchet-up even further.

No it wouldn't. Democrats HATE Lieberman.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Shiggie said:
thats it, no massive meltdowns(other than the usual ones)?

Not really. However, it's only like 5-10 people over there, and it's a complete echo chamber.

reilo

Tobor said:
You read the quote wrong.

The use of "ratchet-up" made it sound like it would be favorable for McCain.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT AT MSNBC

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HylianTom said:
McCain has no easy choices. Has there ever been a negative running mate bounce? :D
The republican primary was a contest of who they hated less, and they're considering picks among those who didn't get first.

Caj814

Back to back McCain commercials. . ."Obama is dangerously unprepared!"
aniughh5rp.gif

reilo

Pat: "Michigan has some problems. Especially social problems in Detroit, which Rachel can tell you about."

Rachel just gives him the biggest wtf headshake in existence.

Pat thinks that the Kilpatrick fiasco is going to hurt Obama somehow?

Norah: "LET ME REMIND YOU WHAT I TOLD YOU LAST NIGHT! I LEAD THE PANEL PAT!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

She did say she thinks it's down to Pawlenty and Ridge.

lopaz

Banned
Yknow, Obama's comments at the end showed how much he needs to get some new material. Hopefully his speech is more like Bill's and Biden's, ie destroying Republicans and going through his policies and how amazing they are. We don't need more inspiration now, we need some ownage

Hootie

lopaz said:
Yknow, Obama's comments at the end showed how much he needs to get some new material. Hopefully his speech is more like Bill's and Biden's, ie destroying Republicans and going through his policies and how amazing they are. We don't need more inspiration now, we need some ownage

I thought his comments were super rad.

Just like you.

Rindain

Banned
Most emotional /effective moments of the night:

Bill: "A place called Hope"; comparing Obama to himself in '92

Beau: his entire speech

Joe: Talking about his pride in his son; attacking McCain's judgement

thefit

I do hope its Lieberman, the comedy gold he brings in his leprechaun pants would rock. How anyone thinks that a turn coat who reeks of being an opportunist APAC shill would attract voters is beyond me. They would probably win the geriatric vote like in Florida though.

lopaz

Banned
Hootie said:
It's a running joke between me and lopaz. I know it probably makes no sense, but I haven't got him in awhile. :lol

Running joke, or sustained campaign of persecution? You decide, GAF

Gaborn

thefit said:
I do hope its Lieberman, the comedy gold he brings in his leprechaun pants would rock. How anyone thinks that a turn coat who reeks of being an opportunist APAC shill would attract voters is beyond me. They would probably win the geriatric vote like in Florida though.

I don't think it'd be Lieberman but I agree, it'd be a hilariously bad choice as well as a strategic blunder. At the same time though the ONLY way they could possibly make it work is with ads like "You want change from Bush? I ran against Bush once already and got more votes than him with a totally different platform" Of course, I'm not sure the Pat Robertsons of the world would like that message...

Krowley

Lieberman's approval ratings may be pretty low, I haven't kept up with it, but the media will romanticize the idea of a bipartisan ticket to an amazing extent.

It will be a massive story, and most of the coverage will be favorable, especially in the way it reflects on McCain. Even if people don't like Lieberman, the idea that McCain would take such a risk with his own party and pick Al Gores VP nominee.... It will fully revive his maverick image and stifle many of the Bush/McCain linkup tactics the Obama campaign is trying to use..

The Obama campaign may be able to turn it back around on him, and it may hurt his chances with the base, but it will help him immensely with the media.

Tobor

thefit said:

Mama Biden on the campaign trail in Florida should take care of that.

reilo

Krowley said:
Lieberman's approval ratings may be pretty low, I haven't kept up with it, but the media will romanticize the idea of a bipartisan ticket to an amazing extent.

It will be a massive story, and most of the coverage will be favorable, especially in the way it reflects on McCain. Even if people don't like Lieberman, the idea that McCain would take such a risk with his own party and pick Al Gores VP nominee.... It will fully revive his maverick image and stifle many of the Bush/McCain linkup tactics the Obama campaign is trying to use..

People might like the idea, but they still hate the candidate.

Also, Bill Clinton and 1000 Clinton alumni are meeting at Coors Field at 10:45MDT

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Krowley said:

The Obama campaign may be able to turn it back around on him, and it may hurt his chances with the base, but it will help him immensely with the media.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/aug/20/gop-officials-try-to-head-off-lieberman-pick/

Officials with John McCain's campaign made a series of conference calls Monday and Tuesday with supporters nationwide to say that Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman may be named as the Arizona senator's vice presidential running mate, immediately sparking a frenzied effort by some state Republican officials to come up with a strategy to head off such a move, The Washington Times has learned.

One of the concerned state GOP officials told The Washington Times that he talked with two "high-level" campaign officials who said "Lieberman is a very real possibility."

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Back home after a long day. Should I watch the MSNBC replay of tonight's coverage, or just watch the Clinton/Biden sections I DVR'd?

laserbeam

Banned
it just doesn't seem possible for it to be Lieberman. He is a devout Jew and doesnt do politics on Sabbath day and McCain has a 3 day thing starting Friday

This whole Lieberman thing has to be a smokescreen. They'll get the conservative base all riled up and then suddenly swoop in and name someone like Romney to win the base's approval.

How the former gov. of one of the bluest states in the union and the biggest flip-flopper in the primaries of either party this election somehow became the darling of conservatives still baffles me.

Having Lieberman on the ticket would make the Republicans the "all war" party and completely undermine their line of attack against Obama on social issues like abortion.

thefit

laserbeam said:
it just doesn't seem possible for it to be Lieberman. He is a devout Jew and doesnt do politics on Sabbath day and McCain has a 3 day thing starting Friday

No biggie.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11355.html

John McCain doesn't work weekends

Since effectively capturing the Republican nomination when Mitt Romney dropped out of the race on Feb. 7, John McCain has held just one public campaign event on a weekend.

Instead, after workweeks full of fundraisers, town hall meetings and interviews, McCain has been, in campaign parlance, “down” on nearly every Saturday or Sunday for 20 weeks, largely sequestered away from the news media.

He’s usually spending time with family, friends and campaign advisers at residences in Arlington, Va., and Phoenix or vacation homes near Sedona, Ariz., and San Diego...

KilledByBill said:
This whole Lieberman thing has to be a smokescreen. They'll get the conservative base all riled up and then suddenly swoop in and name someone like Romney to win the base's approval.

How the former gov. of one of the bluest states in the union and the biggest flip-flopper in the primaries of either party this election somehow became the darling of conservatives still baffles me.

Having Lieberman on the ticket would make the Republicans the "all war" party and completely undermine their line of attack against Obama on social issues like abortion.

This may be accurate. But didn't someone just say that Romney was out of the running?

Frankly... I don't think there is any candidate that would be a good choice.

HylianTom

Banned
KilledByBill said:

If you go to a few conservative websites (FreeRepublic.com comes to mind..), you'll find that Romney isn't exactly a darling to the GOP base.. hehe.. :D

reilo

...and yet he had the galls to faint faux-outrage when Congress took their mandated break that they have done every year at the same time.

Lieberman won't be able to campaign on saturday due to his faith. I think all this is a big smokescreen, just like the Hutchinson stuff

Romney or Palenty

Who is this dick Republican strategist on MSNBC?

"Hillary and Bill did what they needed to do, gave great speeches, and now they'll go quietly vote for McCain. I believe that."

The crowd absolutely hated him, and I can see why.

Trakdown

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Who is this dick Republican strategist on MSNBC?

"Hillary and Bill did what they needed to do, gave great speeches, and not they'll go quietly vote for McCain. I believe that."

The crowd absolutely hated him, and I can see why.

MSNBC needs to install a "HURRRR" button and let Rachel Maddow have control over it. Fucking ridiculous stuff going on over there.

thefit

Tamanon said:
We also would've accepted "Tehran, you're on notice!"

Well at least John would now deflect any economy questions towards Lieberman. "He's good with money, told yah I had a plan....he,he. My Friends!"

Bad joke. I'm sorry.

This is still freaking me out . . . it looks like New Orleans could get pounded just as Bush takes the podium at the RNC. That is just bizarre.

024313W_sm.gif

reilo

speculawyer said:
This is still freaking me out . . . it looks like New Orleans could get pounded just as Bush takes the podium at the RNC. That is just bizarre.

Yeah, Mathews alluded that tonight. He asked Williams what would happen if the Hurricane did hit NO, and which story he would have to give more airtime to as the political director: the hurricane or the RNCC?

I hope the hurricane does not hit. Then again it would add credibility that Obama is the "chosen one." Okay, bad joke.

HylianTom

Banned
speculawyer said:

024313W_sm.gif

We're all on-edge down here. Lines at gas stations, water flying off of store shelves, plywood being cut to be put over windows, hotel rooms up in northern LA and MS being booked solid. Sucks.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The more I keep watching and the more I keep reading, it seems that McCain has an impossible pick to make for a VP. Everyone that is attractive has a major flaw with the core constituency of the Republicans, the religious right.

HylianTom said:
We're all on-edge down here. Lines at gas stations, water flying off of store shelves, plywood being cut to be put over windows, hotel rooms up in northern LA and MS being booked solid. Sucks.

Hope it doesn't hit and I hope everyone is okay.

Shiggie

HylianTom said:
I hope youre doing well.

reilo

Jon: "Take that Lieberman! They don't need you cause Schweitzer's in the Hhhhouse!"

thefit

speculawyer said:

Its been a bizarre eight years, sometimes it feels like that Twilight Zone episode where the guy wishes to be the most powerful man on earth and in the end he turns up as Hitler in a bunker under Berlin getting ready to end it all. Sums up the GOP since Reagan for me.

Agent Icebeezy said:
The more I keep watching and the more I keep reading, it seems that McCain has an impossible pick to make for a VP. Everyone that is attractive has a major flaw with the core constituency of the Republicans, the religious right.

True, but some choices would be far worse than others. A pro choice jew wouldn't sit well with many people - I think we'd see a major backlash not endorsed by the leaders of the religious right, ie something they wouldn't be able to control in time. Dobson for instance would be pissed about the pick but the prospect of Obama choosing SC choices would compel him to hold his nose even more while voting. But what about those evangelicals who hate McCain and feel they've been totally looked over by Bush recently. Them staying home could be the difference between states like Georgia and NC going blue or red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom