• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

I was uh, kinda busy getting furious at Castle Crashers and I forgot about the speeches tonight. Anyone have any links? (Especially Biden's)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Remember guys, the republican president that will speak at the RNCC is going to be George W Bush and maybe his father.

Yeah...

Another great speech tonight. Biden nailed it. The speech made up for the lack of great one liners with a moving measure of humanity, populism, and honesty. A speech aimed directly at the men and women who struggle to raise families and pay their bills. Perhaps it's appropriate that Obama accept the nomination tomorrow in an ancient Greek setting because Biden truly threw down the gauntlet. I'm sure the McCain camp was watching the Clinton speech, looking for any minor negative to use tomorrow to attack Obama, but instead they're faced with the impossible task of choosing a VP choice to contend with a man who can go toe to toe with anyone they throw at him.

Overall the 9-11pm (est) segment was a perfect mixture of past and future. Clinton reminded people of just what we had lost - and in hindsight how unimportant his impeachment fiasco really was.

Bulla564

Banned
LOL that grinch-looking dude on Fox News just said Dems holding up the red "McCain: More of the Same" signs was "creepy" and reminded him of "Pyongyang"

Damn commie librulz!!!

Krowley

I thought Biden was excellent. He wasn't as impressive as Clinton, but he delivered an excellent speech. This was a really good night for the dems, overall.

reilo

Bulla564 said:
LOL that grinch-looking dude on Fox News just said Dems holding up the red "McCain: More of the Same" signs was "creepy" and reminded him of "Pyongyang"

Damn commie librulz!!!

Doesn't he know that the republican party's colors are commie red?

Odrion

Banned
Don't think anyone seen it but on the Daily Show they had a skit about the PUMAs again and John Oliver finished it by saying that the democrats will face inevitable defeat and it was met with a huge wave of boos and John Stewart with a "oh shit" look on his face.

You guys saying Pawlenty would be a joke are making a big mistake. Anyone BUT Pawlenty is a huge misstep for McCain. JoeJoe and Romney would get killed. KILLED.

Odrion said:
Don't think anyone seen it but on the Daily Show they had a skit about the PUMAs again and John Oliver finished it by saying that the democrats will face inevitable defeat and it was met with a huge wave of boos and John Stewart with a "oh shit" look on his face.
what do you think would happen when he mentioned that with the whole audience full of Democratic, there still in there dream world of a convention where nothing bad could be said about the party.

Barrett2

worldrunover said:
You guys saying Pawlenty would be a joke are making a big mistake. Anyone BUT Pawlenty is a huge misstep for McCain. JoeJoe and Romney would get killed. KILLED.

Lieberman would get destroyed, but Romney is a tough SOB. I think Romney could handle his shit against Biden.

If I were McCain, I would go with Romney, but thats just me..

VALIS

I hope this doesn't provide much of a poll bump for Obama. I think the recent gains by McCain is what made this such a fantastic conference for the Dems -- everyone was pulling in the same direction and putting on their best face. Everyone's a little nervous and worried, they know nothing but the best effort is going to get it done. A 10 point poll lead for a few weeks would be counterproductive.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bulla564 said:

So when Fox news sees McCain's name, they think of Kim Jong Il?

That's being awfully negative of McCain, don't you think?

worldrunover said:
Yeah, Pawlenty kinda scares me. Minnesota is a pretty close race and Pawlenty might push it to the McCain column.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
watching Kerry's speech now. Clinton needed to tie up the hurt feelings from the primary and give an emotive endorsement, but Kerry laid out the bombs. wow.

Krowley

worldrunover said:

Pawlenty just has no gravitas at all. He just doesn't have the goods, and i don't buy it that he can bring Minnesota, it seems very unlikely to me.

I think Romney would be terrible too. If you watched the republican campaign, he just comes of as an incredible phony, and while he's a good debater, he has a lot of weaknesses that can be easily attacked and his foreign policy knowledge is unimpressive.

Lieberman would send a signal of Bi Partisanship, at least on domestic issues, but it would infuriate part of the base.. Of those three, i actually think Lieberman is the best move as a general election strategy, but I'm hopeful that he has other options that haven't been discussed.

SA-X

MightyHedgehog said:
DNC 08 is like a party at the Hall of Justice, only more emotional and even more do-goody-good.

The RNC next week is just going to seem like an extended Legion of Doom meeting, with all of the humanity and heart-felt emotion of Solomon Grundy suffering a major three-day long bout of constipation.
:lol Nicely done.

No way in hell is McCain picking Lieberman. That would be fantastic, but that's not happening.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have to admit I teared up pretty bad during the beginning, grandma sent me over.

I'm a pussy :/

I actually totally see Lieberman being the pick. Its easy to know how the McCain camp will craft the message with that pick.

Broken congress... what better way to fix it... but to pick a Democrat.

esbern

shoot me in the fucking facE:

Rage whipped a crowd of about 10,000 into a frenzy and lead singer Tom Morello encouraged fans to join in the march but also stressed the importance of avoiding violence along the way.

Lemonz

They made it to Denver.

DemocraticConvention013.jpg

I'm just listening to the Kerry speech now... he fucking kills it. He went for the damn throat and didn't let go. Would have liked to have seen more of that.

reilo

McCaskill: "I look around this convention tonight, and I see a lot of long faces - and it's the media's."

Mathews: "Are you saying the media does a good job at covering good conflict?"

EDIT: Eat shit Tampon!

Caj814

Watching CNN it seems likely that the Republican convention is going to be focused on placing fear of another terrorist attack and claiming Obama isn't the right choice for 3 AM CALL!!!!!!

emperor.jpg

\
McCain:YES!GIVE IN TO YOUR FEAR,YOUR UNCERTAINTY,YOUR PARANOIA AND YOUR HATE FOR DEMOCRATS!VOTE FOR ME!

Diablos

scorcho said:
watching Kerry's speech now. Clinton needed to tie up the hurt feelings from the primary and give an emotive endorsement, but Kerry laid out the bombs. wow.
Pretty much.

Kerry was coming from a rather... cold place too, as the victim of meaningless smear attacks and stuff, having a full grasp on the current set of ads attacking Obama with nonsense once again. It was awesome to see him address that crap head-on.

laserbeam

Banned
Caj814 said:
Watching CNN it seems likely that the Republican convention is going to be focused on placing fear of another terrorist attack and claiming Obama isn't the right choice for 3 AM CALL!!!!!!

emperor.jpg

\
McCain:YES!GIVE IN TO YOUR FEAR,YOUR UNCERTAINTY,YOUR PARANOIA AND YOUR HATE FOR DEMOCRATS!VOTE FOR ME!
palpatine_lieberman-768475.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom