• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokahey

Tyrone Slothrop said:
evangelicals would vote for, say, bin laden if he was going up against a pro-choicer. they really don't care

No no no. I promise you you're wrong. Catholics also don't like Mormons.

Breaking News: Cindy McCain's Sister: "I'm Voting for Barack Obama"

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/cindy-mccains-half-sister-im-voting-for-obama
Cindy McCain's half sister is planning on voting for Barack Obama, she tells Usmagazine.com.

"I'm not voting for McCain," Kathleen Hensley Portalski tells Us. "I have a different political standpoint.

"I'm voting for Obama," the Phoenix resident says. "I think his proposals to improve the country are more positive and I'm not a big war believer."

Portalski, 65, and the potential first lady, 54, have the same father: Jim Hensley, the founder of the beer distributor Hensley and Co. that Cindy McCain now chairs.

In an interview with NPR News' All Things Considered last week, Portalski said she felt "like a non-person" after Cindy McCain described herself as an "only child."

Portalski's mother is Hensley's first wife; Cindy McCain's mother, Marguerite Hensley, also had another daughter from her first marriage.

"She's kinda cool, standoffish," Portalski tells Us of her half sister.

Portalski also doesn't expect Cindy McCain to make an effort to reconcile their relationship.

"She never has, and I doubt that she ever will," she tells Us.

Portalski's son Nathan, a 45-year-old aerospace machinist, is also backing Obama.

"I wouldn't vote for John McCain if he was a Democrat," he tells Us. "I would not vote at all before I'd vote for him.

"I question whether Cindy is someone I'd want to see in the White House as first lady," he adds.
Obama campaign: get a camera crew to this woman's house yesterday.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama campaign: get a camera crew to this woman's house yesterday.
I'm sure that McCain's already got some people on a plane to Africa to talk to George Obama about his one dollar a day, haha

Hmm, double...

I agree with the sentiment of "John McCain is my friend" shit needing to stop. I think it really makes washington look like a social club for old people, hearing that shit over and over again.

While Obama is painted as a threat to the core of America, it seems his most important surrogates want to play underhanded pitch with their buddy John McCain. Guess it's never really been about experience, rather more about "hey I used to go to lobbyist dinners with that guy. He's ready to lead!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I feel kinda sorry for McCain with his lackluster choices for VP. Romney would just be playing into the Democrats hands, Pawlenty wouldn't be able to carry Minn and would get crushed in the debate, and Lieberman is ripped straight from an Onion article. It's a lose-lose-lose situation.

dave is ok said:
My perspective: if the Democrats prove ineffectual at countering this again, I'm going to be disappointed. I've argued this before, but as much as I'd like to pretend that my moral outrage at what I perceive to be reprehensible tactics should count for something, the pragmatist in me is equally upset that the Democrats were incapable of countering them. If Obama loses, I'm definitely going to be disappointed, but I'm not going to lay the blame on the GOP or the ignorant masses. After all, surely the Democrats were preparing for this, right? The following just seems like a lame excuse:

"Obama was primed for a landslide victory. Everything was going for him. Sadly, one thing stood in his way: the Republicans caught him completely by surprise by using the same tactics that they use every single election. Nobody could have seen that coming!"

APF

BREAKING: Obama's cousin to vote for John McCain

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION (APF) - Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama's eighth cousin announced today he is planning to vote for the presumptive Republican Presidential nominee, John McCain, in the 2008 US Presidential election, according to NeoGAF poster APF.

"I'm not voting for Obama," current Vice President Dick Cheney told us, "I have a different political standpoint."

[...]

kevm3

I'm tired of the Democrats with the, "John McCain is my friend... He's an honorable guy but misled spiel." McCain is constantly hitting Barack under the belt with these dirty ads, and McCain is virtually getting a free pass.

The Dems really need to start putting out ads 'painting McCain' as "experience we can't afford to believe in," and start getting out his Bomb Iran, 100 year war, and "I don't know much about economy" quotes. The Dems really have everything lined in their favor this year, and ifthey lose, it'll just go to show you, playing softball doesn't win.

Hootie said:
I'll be watching the speech on CSPAN so I won't have to deal with McCain's shit commercial tonight.

Just delaying the inevitable. Someone's gonna link it in this thread and you'll watch it and get mad. It is your destiny!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
APF said:

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION (APF) - Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama's eighth cousin announced today he is planning to vote for the presumptive Republican Presidential nominee, John McCain, in the 2008 US Presidential election, according to NeoGAF poster APF.

"I'm not voting for Obama," current Vice President Dick Cheney told us, "I have a different political standpoint."

[...]
Ingenious

gkryhewy

Skiptastic said:
Just delaying the inevitable. Someone's gonna link it in this thread and you'll watch it and get mad. It is your destiny!

The speech will likely be commercial-free anyway; watching the speech but not the postgame commentary should solve his problem.

I'd just love to have someone ask John McCain point blank whether he would allow the CIA to do to others exactly what was done to him in his days at the POW camp.

He can't call what he endured "torture" and then allow the CIA to use the same techniques under the rubric of "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques".

Why isn't he being called out on this shit?

capt.bbc8368b28de2c7fddd97781989d185b.jpeg
harland5.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
Krowley said:
apparently the McCain ad is a congratulatory ad... Congratulating Obama for his nomination.

According to fox news.
"Congratulations Mr. Obama on your nomination. Sucks for America you are so inexperianced. Vote for me America!"

gkryhewy

Krowley said:
apparently the McCain ad is a congratulatory ad... Congratulating Obama for his nomination.

According to fox news.

MAVERICK

Faux News will probably show the McCain ad picture-in-picture during the Obama speech... with subtitles.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hitokage said:
but groups that mislead others about what they believe? Fuck 'em.

Fine by me, but it seems that your criteria can be liberally applied. Especially when "fundamentalist" bashing is pretty much interchangeable with "Chrisitan" bashing or religion bashing in general as far I can tell from this thread.

Not to be nitpicky, but for every "fundie nutcase" bash, which is to be expected in a left-leaning political thread, but there are other posts just generally grouping Christians or "believers" and applying the same bashing. That's usually what irks me. There is a difference, as you know.

And Baptists don't like Catholics. Ah, the brotherhood of it all.

Baptists would be MUCH MORE likely to support a Catholic like Biden than to a Mormon like Romney.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Krowley said:

According to fox news.
O. . .k. Unless it really is a backhanded compliment or simply in jest, he just going to come across as a smartass.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
Fine by me, but it seems that your criteria can be liberally applied. Especially when "fundamentalist" bashing is pretty much interchangeable with "Chrisitan" bashing or religion bashing in general as far I can tell from this thread.

Do you see anyone here bashing Obama or Biden for their christianity?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
APF said:

[...]

Damn you APF!!
:lol :lol :lol

Come to the Dark Side, APF.

APF said:

[...]

You are an 8th cousin? Or are you just making that up?

Also, 8th cousin isn't quite like sister. From Time magazine, Obama is distantly related to Cheney and Bush as well :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Asked to hint which way he is leaning, McCain turned — as he has for days — to a joke, saying it would be actor Wilford Brimley.

“He’s a former Marine and great guy and he’s older than I am, so that might work,” said the four-term Arizona senator who turns 72 on Friday.

2hqtssk.jpg

grandjedi6 said:
I feel kinda sorry for McCain with his lackluster choices for VP. Romney would just be playing into the Democrats hands, Pawlenty wouldn't be able to carry Minn and would get crushed in the debate, and Lieberman is ripped straight from an Onion article. It's a lose-lose-lose situation.

I'd say lose-lose-draw. Pawlenty is not going to hurt or probably help. He's a vanilla young republican that's not much of factor either way.

kevm3

Lol... I've noticed since yesterday, that when Barack and Jill do the 'friendly kiss,' it looks a little more than friendly. I thought it was supposed to be more of a kissing on the cheeks or the air kind of thing. They actually lock lips for a second. Bill Clinton 2.0 confirmed?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Here is what the ad says:

John McCain is airing a one-evening-only ad with a simple message for Barack Obama: "Job well done." The ad coincides with Obama's nomination acceptance speech.

McCain congratulates Obama for his nomination. McCain recognizes the symbolism of a black man accepting the nomination on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

The ad will run Thursday on national cable television before and after Obama's address.

McCain says: "Senator Obama, this is truly a good day for America. Too often the achievements of our opponents go unnoticed.

So I wanted to stop and say, congratulations. How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day. Tomorrow, we'll be back at it. But tonight Senator, job well done."

Ponn

Banned
APF said:

"I'm not voting for Obama," current Vice President Dick Cheney told us, "I'd rather shoot him in the face."

[...]

fixed

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
Do you see anyone here bashing Obama or Biden for their christianity?

Considering how some believe Obama is a closet atheist, no. :lol

But that's beside the point, because I wasn't talking about bashing any particular candidate, but people of faith in general, which includes Obama/Biden, but that doesn't seem to bother folks.

You know, I'm still thinking about Bill Clinton's speech yesterday, and I'm having a hard time envisioning Obama topping it tonight. Bill has the benefit of 8 years experience crafting messages for a national audience, and as eloquent as Obama is, I don't know if he's capable of lacing his speech with the same knock out punches about the Republicans that Bill managed to. Bill Clinton did Obama a huge favor not just by unequivocally endorsing him, but by opening a strong line of attack for the campaign. I hope they pick up where he left off and run with it. The way he used statistics to paint a stark then and now picture of the country was devastating imo. It was hard hitting but above the belt, and exactly the component that Obama has been weakest on. He needs to exploit that shit.

ronito

VanMardigan said:
Considering how some believe Obama is a closet atheist, no. :lol

But that's beside the point, because I wasn't talking about bashing any particular candidate, but people of faith in general, which includes Obama/Biden, but that doesn't seem to bother folks.
Don't you have to carry your cross somewhere else?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Smart move to acknowledge the history that is going to be made tonight, instead of just ignoring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom