• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
mckmas8808 said:
electoral-vote.com had the race looking like this a week ago.

Aug. 21st

Obama: 264
McCain: 261

Now it looks like this....

Aug. 28th

Obama: 278
McCain: 247

So whatcha guys think?
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Undeux

mckmas8808 said:

Aug. 21st

Aug. 28th

So whatcha guys think?

I think we should see how the numbers go after the conventions are both over.

Yeah it's about keeping his favorability rating up.

Hilary Clinton, Bill Clinton, John Kerry, and McCain all praised McCain personally in their speeches this week (which I think was a mistake). So he has to show his likable side again so he can tap into this.

mckmas8808 said:

Aug. 21st

Aug. 28th

So whatcha guys think?
I think it vastly under-estimates Sen. Obama's margin of victory.

thekad

Banned
laserbeam said:
Is it any different then the Democrats exploiting the 45th anniversary? Lets not kid ourselves the moment Obama was a shoe in they made sure Acceptance speech would fall on this day.

And the narrative if Obama loses the election will be"America wasnt ready for a black president"

Race is being used very heavily in this election.
Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

laserbeam

Banned
thekad said:
Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

The bitching and whining about McCain releasing a congratulatory ad. As was said its a big historic night so it makes sense for the Other side to Play up their congratulations. His calling would get a 2 second mention and be done. This is in everyones face and everyone will see it

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Teddman said:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...m=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Lieberman+mccain&spell=1

There is an officially sponsored google ad by McCain's campaign. Whoops! :lol

1933.jpg

This will be hilarious. Please be true.

Heh, while the debate rages on about whether or not this is in fact a classy move by McCain, what does my browser have as the ad at the bottom? Why, it's another classy ad from John McCain where he asks who the biggest celebrity in the world is. The answer, I'm assured, may surprise me.

TDG

Banned
Gaborn said:
How do we know they won't both do the public video and the call?
It doesn't matter. If the point is to congratulate each other, they could do it in a phone call instead of in an ad meant to steal headlines.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
eejacobsen (2 minutes ago)
"How perfect that your nomination comes on this historic day."

Does John McCain think that this was planned out this way? I am very uneasy about McCain's tone in this. Not but 24 hours ago he was releasin ads saying Obama is basically going to lead the country into destruction. Their are definate racial undertones here and it they go unnoticed then people are blind.

ronito

SnowWolf said:
eejacobsen (2 minutes ago)
"How perfect that your nomination comes on this historic day."

Does John McCain think that this was planned out this way? I am very uneasy about McCain's tone in this. Not but 24 hours ago he was releasin ads saying Obama is basically going to lead the country into destruction. Their are definate racial undertones here and it they go unnoticed then people are blind.
2ze056b.gif

Gaborn

TDG said:
It doesn't matter. If the point is to congratulate each other, they could do it in a phone call instead of in an ad meant to steal headlines.

In a complex world like ours actions can have more than one meaning.

laserbeam said:
The bitching and whining about McCain releasing a congratulatory ad. As was said its a big historic night so it makes sense for the Other side to Play up their congratulations. His calling would get a 2 second mention and be done. This is in everyones face and everyone will see it

Its nothing more then an attempt to rain on Obama's parade.

Stop trying to play devil's advocate every chance you get, so you can go against the grain.

LOL @ McCain talking about this "historic day" in his new ad in reference to MLK. Need I remind you, Senator, that you voted AGAINST the creation of MLK DAY?
can't wait til Olbermann says the exact same sentence verbatim

Oh and don't you guys love the smug/sarcastic look on McCain's face in this ad, almost like he said " JUST KIDDING HAHAHA" at the end of his statement but they cut it out?

TDG

Banned
Gaborn said:
In a complex world like ours actions can have more than one meaning.
Of course, the ad was meant to do a number of things:
1. Make McCain appear gracious and humble.
2. Steal headlines.
3. Help reinforce McCain's "maverick" image.
4. Force Obama to make a similar ad, because if he doesn't it can be used against him.

laserbeam

Banned
TDG said:
Of course, the ad was meant to do a number of things:
1. Make McCain appear gracious and humble.
2. Steal headlines.
3. Help reinforce McCain's "maverick" image.
4. Force Obama to make a similar ad, because if he doesn't it can be used against him.

This ad isnt gonna steal any headlines lets be real. It might make some people view McCain slightly better but Obama and his speech will be front page of every paper etc

Teddman

Tamanon said:
Eh, that thing's been around for weeks.
I don't think so. I was able to get the ad to appear by searching for mccain lieberman in google up until about a half-hour ago, and now it's been removed. You can't get that ad to appear in google now.

Also, the ad redirected you to johnmccain.com/lieberman, which is not yet a valid url, which is suspicious.

CONFIRMED, LIEBERMAN IS THE PICK:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Paid_Google_ad_appears_to_state_McCain_picked_Lieberman/1219953383

laserbeam said:
Is it any different then the Democrats exploiting the 45th anniversary? Lets not kid ourselves the moment Obama was a shoe in they made sure Acceptance speech would fall on this day.
And the narrative if Obama loses the election will be"America wasnt ready for a black president"
Race is being used very heavily in this election.
Yeah, you figured out their plan. Picking the black guy as your candidate has long been the sure-fire way to win the US presidency. :lol

NOO MITTENS. :( :(

I was really hoping for Romney, if only because the lefty blog's nickname for him makes me chuckle every time I see it.

I can't believe it would be Lieberman. How on earth do you reconcile "drill here, drill now", which is the only economic platform the GOP is pushing, with Joe Lieberman, who has always been nothing short of a champion of the environmental movement?

That pick is poison for the Republicans. If McCain dies or gets incapacitated (and he's old!), their new President would be against pretty much everything they believe in, save for perpetual war and endless blood sacrifice to the wrathful god of moses.

laserbeam

Banned
schuelma said:
Absolutely. I think it's probably Pawlenty..safe pick, not horrible, but nothing inspiring.

Pawlenty seems the choice if we take him cancelling all of his interviews etc today and tommorrow. They just need to track flights to Ohio from Denver since thats the first joint event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom