• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

adamsappel said:
Women are often given a salary at hiring based on those conceptions. If a job pays $40K for a male applicant, but a women is given $35K for just those reasons, that's discriminatory. And that also punishes women who don't concentrate solely on their career.

People aren't "given" salaries, they are free to accept or reject them. If you don't like the salary at one job you're free to look for another. I think women should have the same opportunity as anyone else, but short of posting your salaries in public I see no way to easily enforce the implication that women are treated unfairly in their pay.

Basch

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . I've got two people now trying to control my speech now.

Why do you people hate America and freedom? :lol

Nah, you can. I just don't like it when people speak up without knowing anything. The least you could do is ask what is going on in the investigation, rather than pointing fingers. Besides, don't take my posts too literally. I have this bad habit of exaggerating. :D I'm really not trying to hurt anybody's feelings.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
140.85 said:
Hillary Clinton forum reactions are priceless. :lol

NObama - No Way - KNOW McCAIN!

Q. Obama agrees with Sen. Clinton on most issues. Why not vote for him?
A. If agreeing with Sen. Clinton is all that is required then there would be 18 million of us running for president.

Q. What about Roe v. Wade?
A. The DNC backhands women and then dangles Roe v. Wade over their head... not working!

Q. Don't TRUE Dems vote Dem ?
A. TRUE Americans don't belong to racist churches for 20 years. I will not reward this!

*barfs*

After reading that Hilary forum maybe this stunt might work after all... O_O

I think charges of Sexism is the only thing that can kill the Obama campaign right now.

Nameless

Kusagari said:
This is bad news. Biden is effectively completely neutralized. Anyone that thinks he'll be able to go on the attack against Palin in debates without looking sexist or mean in the media is fooling themselves.

I don't agree with the stance that Biden can't go after Palin without looking like a bully. Obama took it to Clinton pretty hard in the last string of debates without devolping such a stigma--in fact the media were actually questioning Obama's moxy for NOT firing back at Clinton early on. Aside from maybe fox news, I think the media would/will question the strength of the McCain-Palin ticket if Biden lays the smackdown.

McCain is changing his whole strategy.

Instead of the experience-during-times-of-war argument, he's going to run as a reformer. The Palin pick makes sense now.

Tamanon said:
BTW, I assume this puts Michigan firmly into Obama's corner.

Yup. And Pennsylvania.

Zeliard

Frank the Great said:
Jeez. Mika and Andrea Mitchell are getting all excited about this pick.

If you're tying that to female voters, what are the odds of Palin syphoning off too many disgruntled female Clinton supporters/non-conservatives when she's hardcore pro-life, though?

pxleyes

Banned
Frank the Great said:

Instead of the experience-during-times-of-war argument, he's going to run as a reformer. The Palin pick makes sense now.
:lol Of course he's a maverick again. Give me a break.

Basch said:
Couldn't you say the same about Obama.

Obama =work on halting nuke proliferation
Palin=work on halting caribou proliferation

Obama's been a high-profile US Senator ever since getting elected. He's run a national primary race spanning over a year. Palin's not even comparable, hell you might as well say that a first term mayor of Tuscon is sufficiently qualified to be our president.

You can say whatever you like, just makes you look bad is all.

The only one looking bad here is McCain, who broke the fundamental "do no harm" rule by chop-blocking his own campaign and leaving it, at this point, completely without any potential direction or effective narrative whatsoever.

Besides, Palin's policies on energy and fuel alternatives could assist McCain and quite a big way. Could end up leading to McCain refining his policies.

Yeah, just a few weeks ago Palin was talking up how good Obama's natural gas plan was. :lol

As for McCain refining his policies, I wonder if this is a signal that he's going to flip flop on Arctic National Wildlife Reserve drilling considering his new VP fiercely supports it. That would be hugely unpopular and a colossal flip flop that would lose him any hope of winning in the West.

Matix

This is such a weak choice for a RVP (we all know why he made this ungenuine decision), but dumb asses will fall for it regardless (sadly) ;(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Frank the Great said:

Yup. Should be interesting

Branduil

typhonsentra said:
The tendency towards sexism this early in this thread is making me a little nervous what things will look like in October.

"She should stay home to take care of her kids!"

"Beauty Pagent Winner, lawl!"
Careful, I got threatened with a ban for saying there was sexism in this thread earlier.

Basch said:
The least you could do is ask what is going on in the investigation, rather than pointing fingers.
I certainly don't know the whole story but I'm sure it is gonna get a lot more coverage. And a sad fact of politics is that whether something is really true or not often doesn't seem to matter. The whole Clinton era is filled with various 'scandals' but when one looks at them all, most of them were completely faux-scandals cooked up by Richard Mellon Scaife's minions.

Tamanon

Banned
The Chosen One said:

I think charges of Sexism is the only thing that can kill the Obama campaign right now.

Er....that Hillary forum is solely consisting of PUMAs at this time. They weren't voting Obama anyways:p

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
610x.jpg

You have my undivided attention.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
BTW, I assume this puts Michigan firmly into Obama's corner.
Depends - do many Michigans fly around in helicopters hunting wolves for sport? i personally think that's a huge demographic that was vastly undervalued and McCain has tapped it.

pxleyes

Banned
"stand up for the things you believe in"

No gays, no abortion, god is right.

"come in handy over the next two months" :lol McSame just admitted she was a choice simply to win the election.

Zeliard

The Chosen One said:

Those people were never going to vote for Obama regardless. I don't think it's too much to worry about. Palin could never attract any substantial amount of Clinton supporters when she's pro-life, not to mention not a Democrat.

Formless said:
That makes me sad.
What do you expect from kneejerk reactions?

Not really. The pure maverick angle isn't going to fly. He might be trying to gain something of his independent appeal back, but McCain 2000 isn't coming back. That guy may have been more likable, but he never had a chance of winning against Obama.

ronito

Outside of the draconian tactic of trying to fool women to make a vote that'll be bad for them this choice makes little sense. I mean Mccain just gave up his whole "experience" argument point and gained a woman. At least with Biden Obama lost some of the change rhetoric but shut out the experience argument.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think its pretty clear that Romney was out as soon as Biden was picked and McCain had the housing flap.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Captain Pants said:
NObama - No Way - KNOW McCAIN!

Q. Obama agrees with Sen. Clinton on most issues. Why not vote for him?
A. If agreeing with Sen. Clinton is all that is required then there would be 18 million of us running for president.

Q. What about Roe v. Wade?
A. The DNC backhands women and then dangles Roe v. Wade over their head... not working!

Q. Don't TRUE Dems vote Dem ?
A. TRUE Americans don't belong to racist churches for 20 years. I will not reward this!

*barfs*

Q. What if Hilary continues to advise her supporters i.e. us, that we should support Obama anyway?
A. We all know that's just the DNC suppressing her womynhood.

In 1984, Palin was second-place in the Miss Alaska beauty pageant after winning the Miss Wasilla contest earlier that year, winning a scholarship to help pay her way through college.

celebrity status confirmed

Frank the Great said:

Interesting. This sounds about right. It seems they're abandoning the experience-angle.

ronito said:
Outside of the draconian tactic of trying to fool women to make a vote that'll be bad for them this choice makes little sense. I mean Mccain just gave up his whole "experience" argument point and gained a woman. At least with Biden Obama lost some of the change rhetoric but shut out the experience argument.

He's not going to run on the experience argument anymore.

It all makes sense now. The McCain campaign spent the summer spreading FUD about Obama being inexperienced. They hope that this FUD will last until Nov. 4th.

Now, their new strategy will be to paint McCain/Palin as reform candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom