• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarienA said:
Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain's ticket mate.

Palin replied: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

Hmmmm

yeah you missed that up the page further.

Incredible Photos of Last Night's Historic Convention

0,1020,1285550,00.jpg

0,1020,1285552,00.jpg

0,1020,1285546,00.jpg

0,1020,1285506,00.jpg

0,1020,1285554,00.jpg

0,1020,1285500,00.jpg

0,1020,1285545,00.jpg

More here
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-34718.html

Chris R

As an Alaskan, this is kinda cool. Palin is a great governor, but this does make me kinda sad.

a) No way in hell Obama gets the puny electoral votes AK has, because tons of people are going to vote for her just because she is an Alaskan.
b) People are going to be digging dirt up on her :( Makes me sad that her family might get harmed in this process.

Amir0x

Banned
eznark said:
when did VP become serious? The last "serious" VP was George HW.

I don't really know how to respond to such ignorance, but hey! The role of the vice presidency can range for incredibly irrelevant to astoundingly influential... and trying to diminish that as some unserious passive role is completely fucking stupid.

Vice presidents like Dick Cheney which has critically damaged our country, or vice presidents like LBJ which had to take on a different role.

YOU are voting for the vice president as well, someone who should be president "in worst case." This is not a small manner.

Basch said:
Had a fairly nice speech. A bit too forced, but great motives and views. I think this campaign just took a drastic turn. GAF may be pretty bitter come election time.

Amen. This is the moment right here, right now as Sammy would say.

If some women fall for this it would be so ironic if this administration sows the seeds that get rid of Roe v Wade and continue to dismiss equal pay/equal work. Perhaps that's what we need to wake people up.

And if that happens guess who'll be there in 2012 to set things right: Hillary Clinton. The importance and possible consequences of today can't be over stated

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Amir0x said:
this will be a pretty good litmus test of how easily Americans are fooled

it is clear now that she was not picked for any of her credentials, but just for being a women who could appeal to those Hillarycrats... which is really at its core at odds with the feminist movement.
Uhh

-Staunch Conservative in social and economic issues
-Impeccable Pro-Life record
-Lifelong member of the NRA
-As Gov. able to get both parties to pass tough legislation
-Strong reform record
-Strict fiscal conservative on govt. spending

But apparently shes just a woman to appeal to feminists? Come on now man

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
VictimOfGrief said:
yeah you missed that up the page further.

Did I miss this one from politico too?

Barack Obama's campaign is blasting John McCain for putting "the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency."

The scathing description of Sarah Palin, from Obama spokesman Bill Burton, comes as Democrats scramble to gather a response to a selection that nobody in the political world expected.

"Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies -- that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same," added Burton.

Democrats will likely push the inexperience line against Palin as they race to comb oppo files from Wasilla to Juneau.

Jim Jordan, a veteran Democratic strategist, told Politico, "After his attacks on Obama's readiness for the job, it'll be amusing to hear a 71-year-old with a history of health problems justify this decision."

"She's a talent, but that's the end of the experience message from John McCain."

v1cious said:
ugh, she's like the Cammie Dunaway of politics. definitely not a good sign, but hopefully the narrative will change when people see what she actually stands for.

is she a pro-lifer or pro-choice?

Nevermind, saw that she is pro-life... Hillary just needs to point that out.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
rhfb said:
As an Alaskan, this is kinda cool. Palin is a great governor, but this does make me kinda sad.

a) No way in hell Obama gets the puny electoral votes AK has, because tons of people are going to vote for her just because she is an Alaskan.
b) People are going to be digging dirt up on her :( Makes me sad that her family might get harmed in this process.

its been happening with obama.. you reap what you sow.

this pick worries me. i have no idea what to expect from it. especially the VP debate where biden will most likely be painted as attacking a sweet/cute lady.

APF said:
Both of these posts are disgusting and inappropriate.

Disgusting? I could see wanting Hillary to win, but to then NOT want to vote for Obama, why? They held basically the same opinion on the major issues. Sure it's just anecdotal, but all of the older women I know that wanted Hillary to win are closet Racists, and it's only reason I can think of that they are still clinging to Hillary.

DarienA said:
Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain's ticket mate.

Palin replied: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

Hmmmm

:lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
McCain is still free to hit Obama on experience. McCain is running for President, not Palin. Also, she has more executive experience than Biden or Barack.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
rhfb said:

She has a child with Downs Syndrome, and I'm sure assholes will make jokes about that

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Even more than being a woman, I think her biggest potential positive is she genuinely comes across as "small town", etc.

Chris R

JohnTinker said:
Uhh
:lol not quite. Every man woman and child in the state got an extra 1200$ just for being cool :D

well it is supposed to be used for extremely high gas and heating oil prices in the bush, but...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
140.85 said:
McCain is still free to hit Obama on experience. McCain is running for President, not Palin and she has more executive experience than Biden or Barack.

Ok... there's a real disconnect in your post.....

Amir0x

Banned
JohnTinker said:
Uhh

-Strong reform record

Uh yes. "Shoring up the conservative base" is not a problem - they were going to vote for McCain in any event.

THE KEY reason that she was picked was ONLY for her ability to appeal to Hillarycrats. Nothing more, nothing less. She has demonstrated no ability to bring a vital state, to shore up any other constituencies much less BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA should the worst happen. She fucking demolishes McCain's experience argument. Now we all know that was pure bullshit propagated by Roveites.

Strategically, I think it was very smart. Now Biden can't attack dog her the way he should and rip her apart the way he should because it'd be perceived as bullying.

140.85 said:
McCain is still free to hit Obama on experience. McCain is running for President, not Palin and she has more executive experience than Biden or Barack.
The problem is that he'll also have to explain why he thinks she's qualified to replace him now in a worst case scenario.

JohnTinker said:
Uhh

-Strong reform record

Since when does someone's record matter to the Dems? They sure don't take Obama's record into account :lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
140.85 said:
McCain is still free to hit Obama on experience. McCain is running for President, not Palin. Also, she has more executive experience than Biden or Barack.

you dont seem to understand the responsibilities of a VP.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
rhfb said:
:lol not quite. Every man woman and child in the state got an extra 1200$ just for being cool :D

well it is supposed to be used for extremely high gas and heating oil prices in the bush, but...
IIRC that was not from the governors office, but from the US Congress. A Ted Stevens deal or something iirc?

ronito

typhonsentra said:
The problem is that he'll also have to explain why he thinks she's qualified to replace him now in a worst case scenario.
exactly, it doesn't help Mccain's argument that he feels a second in charge has as much/little experience as Obama.

My first reaction at this was to panic. But after some reflection, I don't really think this will be a game changer. Let's recall the facts of this election:

First of all, McCain needs to win either Pennsylvania or Michigan to win the election. Palin will not help him in either of these places.

Secondly, all Obama needs to win is Kerry states plus Iowa, Colorado, and New Mexico, and he wins the election. He is already WAY up in Iowa, and he is slightly up in NM and CO. Palin will not help McCain in these states at all. Further, in battleground states such as Virginia and North Carolina, this will not help McCain.

Also, this represents a complete shift for the McCain campaign AWAY from the experience argument and towards a reform argument. In case you guys haven't noticed, the experience argument was working and the reform argument is the exact same argument Obama is using. I don't see how McCain can win this.

Another thing: Hillary Clinton will take the claws out and do everything she can to make sure this one term governor from Alaska doesn't take away her chances of being the first women president.

APF

Branduil said:
You're not going to have much luck with this. At best you'll just get banned.
I know perhaps Ami frightened you into thinking twice about calling people out on this stuff, but I still think it's important to point out an undercurrent in of a lot of the posts here. Reminds me of when Hillary was winning.

Barrett2

JohnTinker said:
Uhh

-Strong reform record

Yeah, I don't understand why people are so quick to dismiss her. Obviously part of her selection was a cynical grab at women voters, but Palin's track-record as Governor has been someone who appears to be tackling corruption in the state.

I wonder how that will play out? How does it make you look to be the Governor of a state in which your Senators are under Federal Indictment?

Also... this is what I think of when I try to picture Alaska:
25053-large.jpg

140.85 said:
McCain is THE FUCK OLD and he has had cancer. There's a very real possibility that we could wind up with a clueless provincial soccer mom having to negotiate with North Korea and send troops into Pakistan. That might make a good comedy movie but not good in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom