• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

140.85 said:
"Barack Obama says a Governor isn't qualified to be President, and yet he has even less experience. Thanks for agreeing with us that you aren't ready to lead Obama."
OBAMA HAS MORE EXPERIENCE. GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS.

Folks, we are witnessing at least two people in this thread ignoring pretty much everyone else and lying to themselves.

Keep lying to yourselves.

PSGames

BenjaminBirdie said:
There's plenty actually.

You can be naive if you want. But as the Democratic Nomination shows (9/10 Blacks chose Obama and 7/10 women chose Hillary?) when it comes to making History your race/gender make up can win over millions of votes.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
:lol

Look at the entire forum come to Barack's defense. It was just my opinion guys. You can argue that his 2 years in the US senate (he was running for president these last 2) and 8 years as a state senator is equal to being a cheif excecutive of a state. I disagree.

Zeliard said:
Are you confused? McCain's campaign are the ones running on a platform of experience. People are mocking the Palin pick because she has LESS experience than Obama, and you're supposed to pick a VP that you think would make a great president if the need arrises. It completely undercuts and trivializes McCain's strategy. How can he say that Obama is inexperienced (which is essentially his entire argument against him) now that he's picked the highly inexperienced and unknown Sarah Palin as a possible successor as president? That's the point people have been making.

This.

Ulairi

Banned
lawblob said:
Last time I checked, Constitutional Law was my highest grade in law school.... so yeah, I think I know. ;)

I think you miss the point, it doesn't matter what the VP's job technically is or is not, its all about perception and positioning.

Following your logic, then nothing matters, because it's all about perception and positioning, so that really doesn't help your case.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dude, people, seriously.

As state senator, Obama presided over more people than the entire state of Alaska!

Gaborn said:
Not in governing. Executive experience is very helpful to a candidate, that's why governors often become presidents.

Oh, cool, and McCain's executive experience is..?

Cooter said:

Look at the entire forum come to Barack's defense. It was just my opinion guys. You can argue that his 2 years in the US senate (he was running for president these last 2) and 8 years as a state senator is equal to being a cheif excecutive of a state. I disagree.

4 years of senate.

And like I said twice already:

Obama's district population as state senator: 800,000
Alaska's population: 680,000

PSGames said:
You can be naive if you want. But as the Democratic Nomination shows (9/10 Blacks chose Obama and 7/10 women chose Hillary?) when it comes to making History your race/gender make up can win over millions of votes.
As others have said though, it's an insult to women's intelligence to think that Hillary voters will find Palin appealing simply because they both have vaginas. That's pretty much the only commonality. On the issues they could not be more different. She's a pro-life creationist for fuck's sake.

Cooter said:

agreed

Gaborn said:
Not in governing. Executive experience is very helpful to a candidate, that's why governors often become presidents.

Stop using common sense!

Krowley

Tamanon said:
Wow, that's....wow.

Whether you agree with it or not, that's why McCain picked her. At his heart, McCain is a reformer, and that's what most of his career has been devoted to.

She's his kind of politician.

It may be hard for liberals to see that, because of their personal vitriol for McCain.. It's easy for some to forget what kind of politician he was before he started running for president, and it's easy to get carried away and personaly hate somebody just because you disagree with their positions, or oppose their war stance.

Cooter said:

i don;t think anybody's arguing that obama is a bastion of experience, but rather the palin VP pick invalidates mccains criticisms of obama's lack of experience

Door2Dawn

Banned
Cooter said:

You have a right to you're opinion,but we also have a right to say that you're opinion is wrong.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Justin Bailey said:
Yes, but what about the rest of the Republican party?

Christians are a huge part of the Republican party. If you're talking about Goldwater conservatives, they're few and far, and they're sure as hell not in the South.

PSGames

Gary Whitta said:
As others have said though, it's an insult to women's intelligence to think that Hillary voters will find Palin appealing simply because they both have vaginas. That's pretty much the only commonality. On the issues they could not be more different. She's a pro-life creationist for fuck's sake.

They want to make history just like Blacks want to make history with Obama, doesn't mean they have to agree on every issue.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
She simultaneously stabilizes the base, and emphasizes mccain as a guy that doesn't follow the party line. Everybody in the party wanted him to pick Romney. He said "Fuck you guys"
....this is supposed to help Mccain?:lol

Gary Whitta said:

Exactly. Thank you.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
reilo said:
Dude, people, seriously.

As state senator, Obama presided over more people than the entire state of Alaska!

Conclusion: they are both inexperienced. So why isn't the ticket Biden - Obama?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Alaska only has two cities worth mentioning. If it weren't for the Oil, environment, and military installations, (all of which are intensely managed by other groups) it would rank below Rhode Island on the totem pole.

Zeliard

Krowley said:
It may be hard for liberals to see that, because of their personal vitriol for McCain.. It's easy for some to forget what kind of politician he was before he started running for president/

It's easy to forget, because he's no longer that person.

Gaborn said:

I would argue governors often become president because they can have higher visibility without having to have a record on most divisive national issues of the day.

reilo said:
Dude, people, seriously.

Calling her inexperienced is only valid if you frame it correctly. Those of you arguing that Obama has more experience that a measly governor of Alaska probably don't realize that this isn't really the argument that his campaign wants to have. Questioning McCain about the prudence of picking her when he has spent so much time emphasizing Obama's unreadiness? Yeah, that might fly. But just directly calling her out as inexperienced is not the best argument coming from Obama.

VALIS

Amir0x said:
Uh yes. "Shoring up the conservative base" is not a problem - they were going to vote for McCain in any event.

I agree here. I said the same thing about Romney all the time when conservatives claimed it would solidify the base. You mean it would make people more happy to vote for McCain who were already voting for him? No gains there.

Amir0x said:
Now Biden can't attack dog her the way he should and rip her apart the way he should because it'd be perceived as bullying.

But this I disagree with. Even if the VP pick was Pawlenty or Romney or Lieberman, Biden wasn't gonna punch 'em in the breadbasket then wipe his dick on their nose while they were rolling around on the ground in pain. He was going to debate strongly and aggressively, displaying his experience and intelligence. He can still do the exact same against her.

Diablos

Gaborn said:
Let me spell this out for you people:

She. has. not. even. been. a. governor. for. a. full. two. years. and. did. nothing. comparable. to. obama's. previous. experience. beforehand.

On top of this, Biden adds a wealth of experience, foreign policy and otherwise, to the ticket.

This is also completely valid:

reilo said:

And like I said twice already:

Obama's district population as state senator: 800,000
Alaska's population: 680,000

Cooter said:

Oh, now it's "just your opinion". You conservatives are ridiculous, crying like BABIES all year long about how awful it would be to have such an inexperienced President, only to be perfectly content with McCain (who is seriously old and COULD DIE you know) picking a running mate who has even less experience than Obama. She's his #2. PATHETIC. Why don't you guys grow a pair and seriously come up with something to say, instead of lying, smearing, and going back on your word countless times. Learn how to THINK.

Gantz

Banned
c43db51bb449373a3e4b5aa67252ee4d.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I would argue governors often become president because they can have higher visibility without having to have a record on most divisive national issues of the day.

Plus they can claim the good stuff and blame the legislature for the bad stuff:p

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2jxRdoi5AN3SjYwU0ErKRVWPKHwD92S3HOG1

NEW YORK (AP) — Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention was seen by more than 38 million people.

Nielsen Media Research said more people watched Obama speak than watched the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing, the final "American Idol" or the Academy Awards this year. Obama talked before a live audience of 80,000 people in Denver.

His TV audience nearly doubled the amount of people who watched John Kerry accept the Democratic nomination to run against President Bush four years ago. Kerry's speech was seen by just over 20 million people.

Obama's audience might be higher, since Nielsen didn't have an estimate for how many people watched Obama on PBS or C-SPAN Thursday night.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Steve Youngblood said:
Calling her inexperienced is only valid if you frame it correctly. Those of you arguing that Obama has more experience that a measly governor of Alaska probably don't realize that this isn't really the argument that his campaign wants to have. Questioning McCain about the prudence of picking her when he has spent so much time emphasizing Obama's unreadiness? Yeah, that might fly. But just directly calling her out as inexperienced is not the best argument coming from Obama.

I'm not calling her inexperienced to compare her to Obama's experience, I am calling her inexperienced to compare her to McCain's definition of experience.

Diablos said:
Oh, now it's "just your opinion". You conservatives are ridiculous, crying like BABIES all year long about how awful it would be to have such an inexperienced President, only to be perfectly content with McCain (who is seriously old and COULD DIE you know) picking a running mate who has even less experience than Obama. She's his #2. PATHETIC. Why don't you guys grow a pair and seriously come up with something to say, instead of lying, smearing, and going back on your word countless times. Learn how to THINK.

Why in the hell did you quote me?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Diablos said:
OBAMA HAS MORE EXPERIENCE. GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS.

Hey, you're right. How could I have missed it? Thanks for your convincing and eloquent argument.

avaya

Chiggs said:

This election is going down to the wire. Landslide my ass. For as old and wrinkly and out of touch as John McCain supposedly is he should behind much further in the polls. But he's not.

Relative landslide compared to the last couple of elections. Not quite Clinton 1996 but closer. However a bigger win than any of the Bush elections.

Obama speech bounce has not been polled yet. Watch.

I don't see it going to the wire at all.

Obama IS JFK re-incarnated as clichéd as that may have now become. It is self evident. His personality is effusive. He captures the imagination. His message is of unity. It isn’t vote Democrat because we don’t want the other side. The feeling is "I want to have him as my President, to hell about the politics. I want to elect this man as President".

You can't deny the pull. The symbolism of his candidacy. The "change" is captured on the camera. It's visible on the outside. The policy specifics are muddled but visibily he is his message.

Rally the base hasn't been this strong since Clinton. He rallies the shit out of his base.

This isn't Kerry. This isn't Gore. There isn't 9/11 bullshit nationalism. There isn't War-stay-the-course guilt. The big issues are on the table not the small.

There are people crying. Staged. It doesn't matter. It resonates. He has WINNAR stamped all over him. He has a consistent lead in the polls. He has put states into play that should not even be in contention.

Republican's have got nothing to counter this. Clinton will absolutely maul Palin. Biden won't have to do a thing. Clinton wants to make sure she or Chelsea becomes the first women President.

I saw it in the UK with Blair. Obama is your Blair. The similarities to him in 1997 are startling. He will win in 2008.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Stoney Mason said:

I will say Palin as VP has rocked the house, but with Romney's economic forte and executive experience... he seemed like the choice. Has Romney issued a statement?

Gaborn

Diablos said:
Let me spell this out for you people:

She. has. not. even. been. a. governor. for. a. full. two. years. and. did. nothing. comparable. to. obama's. previous. experience. beforehand.

People will still perceive it more positively than if she was just a Senator.

Stoney Mason said:

They also have the added bonuses of not seeing everything through the flawed DC prism, in addition to having solid experience with salt-of-the-earth issues like agriculture, urban planning, crime, and education.

Diablos

Cooter said:
Hey, you're right. How could I have missed it? Thanks for your convincing and eloquent argument.
Thanks for acting like a partisan hack because you can only handle the truth when it suits you.

Hootie

Frank the Great said:
Ridge was McCain's best option, followed by Palin.

I don't understand why he didn't go with Ridge. PA has 21 fucking votes, that's huge.

Yeah and isn't Alaska already a big GOP state anyway?

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
I will say Palin as VP has rocked the house, but with Romney's economic genius and executive experience... he seemed like the choice. Has Romney issued a statement?

I haven't seen him anywhere, dude went into hiding although I think he'll be at a rally tomorrow. I wouldn't be too surprised if Romney and Pawlenty lay a bit low if the race doesn't tighten up again.

VALIS said:
But this I disagree with. Even if the VP pick was Pawlenty or Romney or Lieberman, Biden wasn't gonna punch 'em in the breadbasket then wipe his dick on their nose while they were rolling around on the ground in pain. He was going to debate strongly and aggressively, displaying his experience and intelligence. He can still do the exact same against her.

God, so well put.

I can't help but see this as McCain's $599.99 US Dollars. Sure there are explanations and even motivations for it, but fundamentally it's just mindboggling and costly in the long run.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gaborn said:

Not for that reason

Gov's have less baggage than Senators

Senators have to deal with laws and positions up close in personal, not all bills make to the Gov's Desk so they dont have much stuff directly tied to them. Govs have more wiggle room generally on issues, its the nature of their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom