• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on the experience front, conservatives have changed fronts. It's not experience per se anymore, it's "being right" that counts. As I heard Limbaugh explain it, since Biden has been wrong about everything the last 30 years, his experience is basically rendered moot.

Tamanon

Banned
Incognito said:
...on the experience front, conservatives have changed fronts. It's not experience per se anymore, it's "being right" that counts. As I heard Limbaugh explain it, since Biden has been wrong about everything the last 30 years, his experience is basically rendered moot.

Well that certainly makes the Obama/Biden case EVEN easier.:lol

Diablos

Incognito said:
Okay, Rush. As if you speak to the middle anyway.

Chris R

reilo said:
And like I said twice already:

Obama's district population as state senator: 800,000
Alaska's population: 680,000
Ever consider that those 680,000 people live in a state that is 656,424 sq mi large? Or that you can be over ONE THOUSAND miles away from the state capital and still live in Alaska? Sure the population isn't that big, but the state is very diverse, something Palin had to know and appeal to to win the Governor job.

JCreasy

Incognito said:

this level of irony mixed with flip-flopping makes my head hurt

JEEEZUUZ

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Incognito said:
...falling into the role Obama wrote for them last night?

besada

Banned
Wow, I wake up and John McCain has picked a VP with no experience that's currently in the middle of an ethics investigation?

That works for me.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I can't help but see this as McCain's $599.99 US Dollars. Sure there are explanations and even motivations for it, but fundamentally it's just mindboggling and costly in the long run.

It's a "two day of headlines, two months of headache" pick. Once the media get past the "LET ME FEAST ON THIS FRESH BLOOD" novelty the disruption to the key McCain narratives to date is going to keep coming back to haunt the campaign.

UltimaKilo said:
I will say Palin as VP has rocked the house, but with Romney's economic forte and executive experience... he seemed like the choice. Has Romney issued a statement?

I'm sure personally he is probably pissed but he will play the good solider and say all the right things. He is a big candidate for 2012 if Mccain loses so that's all he pretty much can do.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tamanon said:
I haven't seen him anywhere, dude went into hiding although I think he'll be at a rally tomorrow. I wouldn't be too surprised if Romney and Pawlenty lay a bit low if the race doesn't tighten up again.

So do you think he will lay as low as Rudy has?

For those wondering about Pawlenty and Romney -- they're being WATB's.

Though it was high in shock value, the Palin pick left bruised feelings among the short-list contenders who were not picked -- and infuriated some Republican officials who privately said McCain had gone out on a limb, unnecessarily, without laying the groundwork for such an unknown. Two senior Republican officials close to Mitt Romney and Tim
Pawlenty said they had both been rudely strung along and now "feel manipulated."

"They now know that they were used as decoys, well after McCain had decided not to pick them," one Republican involved in the process said.

Democrats quickly absorbed the Obama talking points. Democratic Sen. Ken Salazar, of Colorado, said it demonstrated a "lack of judgment" on McCain's part.

Even some former Clinton supporters said Palin would not automatically draw disenchanted women voters -- and would face fierce pushback from the Obama campaign over her conservative social views.

WaPo

Chiggs

Gold Member
avaya said:
Obama IS JFK re-incarnated as clichéd as that may have now become. It is self evident. His personality is effusive. He captures the imagination. His message is of unity. It isn’t vote Democrat because we don’t want the other side. The feeling is "I want to have him as my President, to hell about the politics. I want to elect this man as President".

I think your comparision should tell you exactly how close this election will be if we're going strictly by history. The 1960 Presidential election was one of the closest races in history.

This is not going to be a cake walk for either candidate, barring some giant screw up.

Gaborn

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Not for that reason

Gov's have less baggage than Senators

Senators have to deal with laws and positions up close in personal, not all bills make to the Gov's Desk so they dont have much stuff directly tied to them. Govs have more wiggle room generally on issues, its the nature of their position.

I think you're half right. There's certainly the benefit of less of a legislative track record and a greater variety of issues you can influence rather than just legislation you veto or sign, but I think in the public's mind a Governor is the executive equivalent of the DC Circuit court of appeals is for the Judicial branch, it's a high level of executive authority and the best possible prep for the presidency.

Stoney Mason said:
I'm sure personally he is probably pissed but he will play the good solider and say all the right things. He is a big candidate for 2012 if Mccain loses so that's all he pretty much can do.

I was hoping for Romney, myself.

Gruco

Banned
So, for a guy who just went through a week of hell at work and missed the convention

a) What speeches are worth watching, and b) best source for watching them?

Also, Palin? :lol

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
So do you think he will lay as low as Rudy has?

Rudy's been out and about, he made time to attend the opening of a Terror Museum and speak there in Denver, shockingly the day the DNC opened. What a coincidence. I think the McCain camp WISHES Rudy wouldn't be out so much, just because he keeps saying stupid things.:lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
rhfb said:
Ever consider that those 680,000 people live in a state that is 656,424 sq mi large? Or that you can be over ONE THOUSAND miles away from the state capital and still live in Alaska? Sure the population isn't that big, but the state is very diverse, something Palin had to know and appeal to to win the Governor job.

Alaska? More diverse than Illinois?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Stoney Mason said:

Well he is likely to have a cabinet position in a McCain administration, just as Giuliani likely would and I'm sure he wants that. Right?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
rhfb said:

Thats not how she won the governor job. Her whole campaign was built around getting corruption out of office there. Which she did, good job and all that. But she's only 16 months into the job and hardly at a point where you could evaluate her entire stint there accurately.

Barrett2

Gantz said:
c43db51bb449373a3e4b5aa67252ee4d.gif

Oh my god, this is awesome! :lol :lol

Where's my copy of Diamond / Pearl? I suddenly have the urge to level-up my Turtwig!

avaya

Chiggs said:
I think your comparision should tell you exactly how close this election will be if we're going strictly by history. The 1960 Presidential election was one of the closest races in history.

This is not going to be a cake walk for either candidate, barring some giant screw up.

Kennedy's became mythical once JFK was assasinated. I do disagree but my on the ground anecdotal information is only from relatives in the States, so I do concede I could be wrong.

Zeliard

Steve Youngblood said:
Calling her inexperienced is only valid if you frame it correctly. Those of you arguing that Obama has more experience that a measly governor of Alaska probably don't realize that this isn't really the argument that his campaign wants to have. Questioning McCain about the prudence of picking her when he has spent so much time emphasizing Obama's unreadiness? Yeah, that might fly. But just directly calling her out as inexperienced is not the best argument coming from Obama.

That's not what people are doing. People here have been referencing Palin's lack of experience and tying it to the McCain campaign's continuous strategy of trivializing Obama's experience. It's always been tied to that.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Chiggs said:
Christians are a huge part of the Republican party. If you're talking about Goldwater conservatives, they're few and far, and they're sure as hell not in the South.
Right-wing Christians are going to be more energized over this pick than Romney, yes. But out of all of the various voter demographics I'd say they are the least likely to stay home on election day unless the republican nominee was pro-choice. I don't think this is going to make that much of an impact.

On the other hand, a ton of independent/weak republicans are Goldwater people. This will do nothing to swing them over to McCain and will probably steer them towards Obama since she doesn't help his weak economic stance (something Romney would have). This was a bad choice, especially given the current economic environment.

Also, here's another great question-how do you reconcile the RNC's theme of "Country First" with the cynical selection of a VP who brings zero to the table in terms of assisting McCain's ability to govern?

That's not putting country first, that's putting politics first.

Tamanon

Banned
Gruco said:
So, for a guy who just went through a week of hell at work and missed the convention

a) What speeches are worth watching, and b) best source for watching them?

Also, Palin? :lol

I'd definitely suggest both Obamas, Kerry, Schweitzer(!!!), both Clintons and Kucinich's speeches. They're all good for different reasons.

http://www.demconvention.com/

There're a lot of speeches on there.

DEO3

Justin Bailey said:
McCain was supposed to be the "solid" choice in the election. That's the image he was trying to portray. Now he's throwing uncertainty into his campaign with an unknown, inexperienced governor of a state that no one really pays attention to aside from ANWR.

I honestly don't get it. He should have picked Romney if he really wanted to energize his base. I guess he's taking a massive gamble by hoping to grab a nice chunk of Clinton supporters, which I doubt is going to happen. I can't see how this does anything but help Obama.

Their polling showed that they were going to lose unless they did something drastic. National tracking polls and their like may show it to be close, but when you look at state polling and a map of electoral votes it becomes clear just how grim McCain's situation is. His campaign has done some polling in regards to enthusiasm, and over time they have become increasingly concerned about being able to get people to actually show up to vote for him in November. They came to the conclusion that they were going to have to do something drastic, something to change the game, and since all of the conventional vice-presidential candidates had glaring weaknesses they decided to go with an unknown. A woman.

In the short term I think she's a good pick for McCain, like Obama people will get excited about her because they don't know enough about her to not be. And like Obama people will begin projecting what they want her to be onto her. But this will not last. Within minutes of her being announced you already had the media asking if you really want someone who's experience is only 1 1/2 years governing a state with a population less than 900,000 - and before that being mayor of a town of only 9,000, a heart beat away from the presidency, especially when that presidential candidate is 72 years old and has a history of various medical problems.

People will get to know her, they may even like her, but no one is ever going to feel comfortable with the idea of her replacing John McCain should something happen to him. Obama could have picked Kaine, or Byah, or a number of other people who would've helped him win the election, but instead he choose someone who could help him govern. Someone who could take his place if something should happen to him.

John McCain did the opposite.

NBC Wins Again, Other Nets Rise as Obama Speaks

Barack Obama’s presidential acceptance speech on Thursday, not surprisingly, brought in the biggest ratings of the Democratic National Convention.

NBC’s coverage of the speech from Invesco Field in Denver landed a 5.0 rating/8 share, according to Nielsen Media Research preliminary overnight household ratings of 55 markets.

That was up just 2% from NBC's previous high-water mark for Tuesday night’s airing of Hillary Clinton’s speech.

ABC, with its 4.6/7, increased 21% from Tuesday, and CBS, with a 3.3/5, jumped 22%.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/08/nbc_wins_again_other_nets_rise.php

Propagandhim said:
Lets be honest - people don't even know who she is. A resounding "who?" was echoed throughout the nation today.

Yep.

I had met my dad for lunch knowing that Palin had already been selected. When I met him I dialed up my blackberry to the headline of "CNN: McCain selects Palin as VP" and showed him. His remarks, and I quote, "What? Are you shitting me? Who the hell is that?"

:lol

Gaborn

Propagandhim said:
Lets be honest - people don't even know who she is. A resounding "who?" was echoed throughout the nation today.

Sure, but I called my mom (an Obama supporter) a bit ago to tell her McCain's pick and she said "I don't really know her but I like that she's a governor"... and that's the first reaction I think a LOT of people will have. Governors are perceived often as good executives, then details either reinforce or shatter that perception.

Tamanon

Banned
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/29/palin_pick_leaves_bruised_feel.html

DENVER -- Though it was high in shock value, the Palin pick left bruised feelings among the short-list contenders who were not picked -- and infuriated some Republican officials who privately said McCain had gone out on a limb, unnecessarily, without laying the groundwork for such an unknown. Two senior Republican officials close to Mitt Romney and Tim
Pawlenty said they had both been rudely strung along and now "feel manipulated."

"They now know that they were used as decoys, well after McCain had decided not to pick them," one Republican involved in the process said.

Democrats quickly absorbed the Obama talking points. Democratic Sen. Ken Salazar, of Colorado, said it demonstrated a "lack of judgment" on McCain's part.

Even some former Clinton supporters said Palin would not automatically draw disenchanted women voters -- and would face fierce pushback from the Obama campaign over her conservative social views.

"I know Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton," Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a phone interview with NBC.

:lol :lol

Gruco: Oh yeah Biden's speech was good, Warner's kinda blew, especially compared to the others.

Gamecocks625 said:
I was hoping for Romney, myself.

I thought Romney was the safe play and the pick I expected. Strong on traditional Republican economic issues. The darling of the conservative punditocracy. Contest strongly for Michigan. Balance Mccain weaknesses. He also had his weaknesses no doubt. I would assume it would have come down to those two and Mccain deciding the pull the trigger on the higher risk/higher payoff option.

I think if he thought if it was closer he would have gone Romney but I think its sort of a sign that he thought he needed to try to change the dynamics of the race and he went with Palin. We'll see how it works out.

Gamecocks625 said:
He can have all the experience in the world and still be dead wrong. What's it worth then?
Quite a bit more than McCain's supposed foreign policy expertise. SHIIRUSUNNINES? NUKE THEM! Joe, Joe! Help me here!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Propagandhim said:
My response, pretty much literally -

::heard the news:: Who?
::looked at picture:: Oh, the hot chick from Alaska whose pic was going around a few months back.

:D

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
My cousin calls me and says "Dude, she still fucks... Look at her youngest son. At least we know for sure she has 5 times!" :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom