• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hootie said:
These people have been cheering for RFK for like 10 minutes at the '64 DNC :lol

They gave him a 22minute long standing ovation.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Powell is pro-choice, that is one big strike. You saw that loud reception McCain got at the forum for his answer. Pro-choice isn't touching their ticket.
Some theorize that the McCain ticket has been talking about Liberman in order to soften people up for someone not quite as liberal . . . but still pro-choice. Someone like Tom Ridge . . . or Powell? I'm not so sure Powell would run with McCain though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just a thought that I haven't seen brought up enough in this topic -

More of you need to consider that Obama likely picked Biden because he would be the best Vice President, and not because he would do the most to boost Obama's numbers here of there, or give him an easier road to electoral victory...

Hootie

Tamanon said:
RFK was basically Obama x4 back in those days.

Lets just hope that means Obama has 4x the chance of making it to the White House =(

Man, I wonder how much different the US would be had JFK completed his whole term and had RFK also been elected.

GDJustin said:
Just a thought that I haven't seen brought up enough in this topic -

More of you need to consider that Obama likely picked Biden because he would be the best Vice President, and not because he would do the most to boost Obama's numbers here of there, or give him an easier road to electoral victory...

but the AP tells me that Obama is "scared" and his pick shows a "lack of confidence" and is intimidated by McCain's polling numbers!

soul creator said:
but the AP tells me that Obama is "scared" and his pick shows a "lack of confidence" and is intimidated by McCain's polling numbers!
If there's one thing I've learned about Obama from the press it's that he's arrogant, presumptuous, unsure of himself and lacking self confidence.

Hitokage said:
joementum.jpg

sick0020.gif

GhaleonEB

This is something I've been thinking about since Friday, when the houses thing blew up. A TPM reader nails it:

It might be nice to use the McCains' income to model the tax cuts, but that would require their disclosing how much they make. To get a sense of the difference, though, one need look no further than the NYTimes Magazine piece this Sunday on Obama's economic policies:

"McCain, by continuing the basic thrust of Bush's tax policies and adding a few new wrinkles, would cut taxes for the top 0.1 percent of earners -- those making an average of $9.1 million -- by another $190,000 a year, on top of the Bush reductions. Obama would raise taxes on this top 0.1 percent by an average of $800,000 a year.

It's hard not to look at that figure and be a little stunned. It would represent a huge tax increase on the wealthy families. But it's also worth putting the number in some context. The bulk of Obama's tax increases on the wealthy -- about $500,000 of that $800,000 -- would simply take away Bush's tax cuts. The remaining $300,000 wouldn't nearly
reverse their pretax income gains in recent years. Since the mid-1990s, their inflation-adjusted pretax income has roughly doubled."

That's a good ballpark estimation. Obama would raise McCain's taxes by roughly $800,000; McCain would cut them by about $200,000. That's a million dollar spread. No wonder McCain is so hostile to Obama's economic agenda.

But here's what's really interesting. Obama's proposals would raise his own taxes by hundreds of thousands of dollars, in order to cut the taxes of people who are less fortunate than he is. McCain would cut his own taxes even further than they've already been reduced. And that's everything a voter needs to know about these two men.

Hootie said:
Lets just hope that means Obama has 4x the chance of making it to the White House =(

Man, I wonder how much different the US would be had JFK completed his whole term and had RFK also been elected.

I wonder how different the US and world would be if all the votes were counted in 1960...

Oh GOP, never change:
Mere minutes after Joe Biden wrapped up his maiden speech as Barack Obama's running mate, McCain's camp and the RNC gleefully seized upon what they called a "Freudian slip" in Obama's introduction.

After almost doing it earlier in his speech, Obama got caught up in his closing crescendo and predicted that it's Biden who would be "the next president of the United States."

“Barack Obama sounded as though he turned over the top spot on the ticket today to his new mentor, when he introduced Joe Biden as the next president," McCain spokesman Ben Porritt quipped in an insta-statement.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/
:lol :lol

worldrunover said:
Has anyone posted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetxaA42OuE

"The One II: Road to Denver"

Ummm.... k.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love the "No." at the end!

McCain simply has to be Doing It For The Lulz at this point. He's really gunning for the title of #1 IRL troll of all time.

This stupid shit is exactly why everything is fair game when going after McCain from now on, no matter how disingenuous it may be.

Also: This video looks and sounds eerily similar to Scientology promo videos.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
If there's one thing I've leaned about Obama from the press it's that he's arrogant, presumptuous, unsure of himself and lacking self confidence.

:lol

Also, Obama just says a bunch of flowery and pretty words that don't have any substance, while simultaneously being too nuanced and too detailed when he answers questions.

TDG

Banned
reilo said:
They gave him a 22minute long standing ovation.
Jesus, can you imagine what would happen if that happen these days? The media would be so up in arms about how excessive it was, and what a celeb the candidate is and blah blah blah blah blah...

PhoenixDark said:
Romney or Liebermann then?

The republicans are scared. They expected Obama the arrogant thing: chose an inexperienced person he got along with greatly, dismissing any consequences (Kaine, Byah). They would have easily been able to destroy those picks, a la:

(Kaine has been governor for less than a term and hasn't done anything spectacular. Sebelius is a no name governor from a pure red state; she has an anti-gun history, she has tried to raise taxes on many occasions, and she has no foreign policy experience. Bayh was a very successful governor of a red state, he cut taxes...but he also co-chaired a committee for the liberation of Iraq with John McCain; Biden was initially wrong about Iraq but Bayh went overboard.)

Bayh especially would have been easy to target due to his wife. Biden isn't your average VP: McCain will be running against Biden as much as he is running against Obama; that's usually not the case with VPs right. If I had to guess I'd say he'll have to pick someone who understands the economy, someone who can viciously lay into Obama (voters prefer Obama's domestic policy) while he himself has to play defense against Biden with more than the recent "my friends, he doesn't know what he's talking about!" bullshit.

Great post. I really feel like this ticket (Obama/Biden) is more of a team/buddy ticket then traditionally. They completely compliment each other so well, that as a voter I feel more like I am voting for Obama and Biden rather then just Obama. If Obama would have picked Kaine or Bayh, I would have basically shrugged my shoulders. It wouldn't have added anything for me personally.

This perhaps is because I am somewhat indifferent to the whole "change" message. Honestly I felt like they were using the slogan way too much. It excites young people sure... but older people aren't necessary excited about major change, which is the demographic he is struggling with. Plus people who are fed up with the government find the "change" slogan to just be empty promises and bullshit.

So, if Obama would have tried to reinforce the "change" message it would have only excited the people who were already excited. If there is anything I have learned from this campaign so far is that sound bites and clever "phrasing" is what gets press and attention, not substance and facts. So someone with an impressive resume like Sebelius, would be great for people who are seriously following politics, but for the average joe, she would have been a younger women, thats not Hillary Clinton. The GOP would have had a field day with her, hammering on Obama for picking the lesser experienced women.

Biden is perfect. He has the story that speaks to America, he has the experience that speaks to America, and he has the mouth that speaks to America. He knows how to articulate his opinion aggressively but with style and humor unlike anyone else.

Most of all though he is entertaining and acts and looks like a genuine nice guy. Someone who you want to be around.

Alcander

polyh3dron said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love the "No." at the end!

McCain simply has to be Doing It For The Lulz at this point. He's really gunning for the title of #1 IRL troll of all time.

This stupid shit is exactly why everything is fair game with McCain, no matter how disingenuous it may be.
:lol :lol I was cracking up at that "No." too. I like how they didn't present any evidence that he was unready, a simple "no" is apparently all the evidence you need.

Also, doesn't it seem funny that they are comparing Obama to Moses, considering Moses was purportedly a great leader?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
If there's one thing I've leaned about Obama from the press it's that he's arrogant, presumptuous, unsure of himself and lacking self confidence.

Quote for its absolute absurdity. The media in general (and especially the AP) has been quite distasteful.

Alcander said:
:lol :lol I was cracking up at that "No." too. I like how they didn't present any evidence that he was unready, a simple "no" is apparently all the evidence you need.

Also, doesn't it seem funny that they are comparing Obama to Moses, considering Moses was purportedly a great leader?
It's almost like McCain is campaigning for Obama.

TDG said:
Jesus, can you imagine what would happen if that happen these days? The media would be so up in arms about how excessive it was, and what a celeb the candidate is and blah blah blah blah blah...

And they would blame Obama. Lynn Sweet blamed the Obama camp because someone leaked the VP info before the text was sent out.

BTW, why does Candy Crowley always sound like someone from the Obama camp pissed in her coffee?

Alcander said:

jesusbushweb.JPG

laserbeam

Banned
Was a reading n article about how McCain is sitting back in Arizona. They talked about how his campaign knows they cant control the airwaves right now with the VP announcement etc but they can try and control the actual message.

It seems like to an extent they are doing that. Quite a bit of the current talk is negative about the Obama Campaign etc.It seems like Obama and Crew are controlling the airwaves now but the message is more in line with what McCain and crew want.

laserbeam said:
Was a reading n article about how McCain is sitting back in Arizona. They talked about how his campaign knows they cant control the airwaves right now with the VP announcement etc but they can try and control the actual message.

It seems like to an extent they are doing that. Quite a bit of the current talk is negative about the Obama Campaign etc.It seems like Obama and Crew are controlling the airwaves now but the message is more in line with what McCain and crew want.

How so?

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:

Nah, that's just the natural progression of the media, they spent all last night and most of the day extolling the positives of the Biden pick, now they go to the negatives. It's the natural newscycle.

laserbeam said:

Did the article also mention McCain stroking a cat in his lap while staring at a wall of televisions saying "Excellent, my pretties"?

Tamanon said:
Nah, that's just the natural progression of the media, they spent all last night and most of the day extolling the positives of the Biden pick, now they go to the negatives. It's the natural newscycle.

Surprisingly Fox News even seemed positive last night....but that was last night. It's on now...stuff got real and the republicans are pissed. :lol

Hannity as doing some heavy spinning today...trying to make the case that Biden was a terrible choice.

laserbeam

Banned
maximum360 said:
Surprisingly Fox News even seemed positive last night....but that was last night. It's on now...stuff got real and the republicans are pissed. :lol

Hannity as doing some heavy spinning today...trying to make the case that Biden was a terrible choice.

Thats the thing to watch now. It could all be part of the news cycle but I wouldnt doubt the McCain camp is busy working to spin for beyond just a newscycle. Its logical that if they cannot get the air time they will try to twist the message presented instead.

hannity's going to have a total meltdown soon. everytime he debates with a democrat he won't even let them finish a sentence without going BILL AYERS BILL AYERS BILL AYERS

i mean, shit. i'll concede that the bill ayers and wright things are worthy of scrutinizing, but why bring it up every five minutes on every broadcast. we get your fucking point.

Clevinger

laserbeam said:
Thats the thing to watch now. It could all be part of the news cycle but I wouldnt doubt the McCain camp is buy working to spin for beyond just a newscycle. Its logical that if they cannot get the air time they will try to twist the message presented instead.

I think even without them the narrative would be the same. The anchors in the media will ask, "So, is the pick a plus or minus for Obama?"

and then they'll put on two pundits that hate the other side and let them shout their talking points for a few minutes about how the other side is wrong.

Conservatives will largely write in papers and magazines that it's a bad pick, and liberals will largely write the opposite.

etc. etc.

There talking points will get play only if the media allows it and we know how much the media hates spin, controversy, and sensationalism.

I get the republicans credit for one thing though. They are in 100% spin mode every day all the time. If Obama breaks wind after drinking regular milk they'll brand him as an out of touch elitist who has to buy Lactaid (nevermind the statistics on lactose intolerance).

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe Colbert Report since TDS will be at the convention.

BTW....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12754.html

Couric asked about McCain’s answer when Politico inquired about the number of homes he and his wife, Cindy, own. McCain referred the question to his staff, who said he had at least four. Records show the number could be twice that, depending on how you count the family's properties.

“I am grateful for the fact that I have a wonderful life,” McCain said. “I spent some years without a kitchen table, without a chair, and I know what it's like to be blessed by the opportunities of this great nation. Cindy's father, who barely finished high school, went off and distinguished himself in World War II in a B-17 and came back with practically nothing and realized the American dream, and I am proud and grateful for that, and I think he is a role model to many young Americans who serve in the military and come back and succeed.

He just can't help himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom