• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO mccain is going to have to choose a wildcard candidate. he's going to have to shake things up a bit. i think his pick will be more surprising than obama's. so powell or another 'out of left feild' guy isn't something i'd discount

Farmboy

I think PD is right: it's all about the (less politically savvy) swing voters now, and Biden does much better among them than any of the candidates that perhaps would have been stronger picks purely in terms of reinforcing the 'change message'. Obama has the 'change set' in the bag. He dominates among young voters. Now he needs to tell older, sceptical voters that it's okay to vote for him -- he's not as risky as he looks. Biden really helps him there.

Agent Icebeezy said:

I disagree... to me Pawlenty is the best choice for McCain... Romney has baggage and they really dislike each other. Lieberman is a pro-choice liberal that would really sour the base. Ridge is also pro-choice, though he would put PA in serious play. Pawlenty is young, a governor, has no crazy history (that we know of) and may be boring as watching paint dry, but who really pays attention to the VP debate?

One Top Republican said:
The officials say Sen. Barack OBAMA’s choice of Sen. Joe Biden finished off any remaining chance for youthful Minnesota Gov. Tim PAWLENTY to be on the GOP ticket. “Can you imagine what Biden would do to Pawlenty in the debate?” asked one top Republican. “It would just be sad.”

:lol

syllogism

“I think he’s a good selection. Joe and I have been friends for many, many years, and we know each other very well, and so I think he’s made a very wise selection.” - Mccain

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
worldrunover said:
I disagree... to me Pawlenty is the best choice for McCain... Romney has baggage and they really dislike each other. Lieberman is a pro-choice liberal that would really sour the base. Ridge is also pro-choice, thought he would put PA in serious play. Pawlenty is young, a governor, has no crazy history (that we know of) and may be boring as watching paint dry, but who really pays attention to the VP debate?

Much has been said in the last 24 hours of Biden's tenacity and Obama has a different kind of crowd that follows him. I'm going to watch it. Look at the traffic to the Obama website that Ghaleon just pointed out. What does Pawlenty give McCain? I think that their pick is going to be strategic. It is going to be Romney and it is going to fail because they can't stand each other.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Much has been said in the last 24 hours of Biden's tenacity and Obama has a different kind of crowd that follows him. I'm going to watch it. Look at the traffic to the Obama website that Ghaleon just pointed out. What does Pawlenty give McCain? I think that their pick is going to be strategic. It is going to be Romney and it is going to fail because they can't stand each other.

You'll watch it, but what does it mean? You had a curmudgeonly old Cheney go up against the youthful Edwards with a southern twang, and it really made no difference one way or another.

Agent Icebeezy

Tyrone Slothrop said:
IMO mccain is going to have to choose a wildcard candidate. he's going to have to shake things up a bit. i think his pick will be more surprising than obama's. so powell or another 'out of left feild' guy isn't something i'd discount

Powell is pro-choice, that is one big strike. You saw that loud reception McCain got at the forum for his answer. Pro-choice isn't touching their ticket.

syllogism said:
“I think he’s a good selection. Joe and I have been friends for many, many years, and we know each other very well, and so I think he’s made a very wise selection.” - Mccain
McCain campaign ad condemning Biden coming in 3... 2... 1...

Tamanon said:
Indeed, I'm pretty sure the only reason the McCain camp even invited him over was just to try and grab SOME press.

Pretty much. It's pointless though since the Dems will dominate the news for the next week (but it might get picked up on some sunday talk shows). I just get the feeling that the Republican convention will be a overwhelming snoozer. The excitement is with the democrats this year and it will be a tough act to follow after their week and the stadium speech. The unpopular Bush and Cheney will be there so that may turn off quite a few people. McCain also can't be exactly labeled as exciting (and besides, let's be honest here, his base mostly tolerates him). Maybe Jindal can do some on-the-stop exorcisms to rile up the masses.

Tamanon

Banned
worldrunover said:
You'll watch it, but what does it mean? You had a curmudgeonly old Cheney go up against the youthful Edwards with a southern twang, and it really made no difference one way or another.

I dunno, Cheney kinda took Edwards out to the woodshed.

Agent Icebeezy

worldrunover said:

The role of the VP has evolved in recent years. There is more importance there now than it was in the past.

worldrunover said:
But he brought up his openly gay daughter! Gay as the day is long! Edwards went there!

Many christian conservatives will also overlook McCain's marital infidelity as well (even the bible says God hates divorce) as long as he's not pro-choice. Much in the same way, they'll overlook all the corruption in the republican party as long as the republican leaders rile the base up about one or two wedge issues.

Kettch

Sarah Palin fits the bill pretty well for that. McCain picking a woman after Obama passed it up would certainly make things interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
Kettch said:
Sarah Palin fits the bill pretty well for that. McCain picking a woman after Obama passed it up would certainly make things interesting.

I'd normally agree, but she's just coming under a corruption investigation. Alaska politics is diiiiiiirty.

BobLoblaw

Banned
:lol Just saw this picture on Drudge. Looks like both of them know how to party.

e163e585.jpg

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
BobLoblaw said:
:lol Just saw this picture on Drudge. Looks like both of them know how to party.

e163e585.jpg
Swingers baby.

Awwwww yeah!

GhaleonEB

Wife swap!

Also: I don't usually read David Brooks, but I'm interested to see his column in the NYT tonight. His last one was titled "Hoping It's Biden" and concluded:

Biden’s the one. The only question is whether Obama was wise and self-aware enough to know that.

I'm kind of expecting him to express disappointment that Obama did the "obvious" thing rather than shake things up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Is John McCain trying to shun away the little Christian-right support he has and make them vote for Obama with those ads?

Alcander

BobLoblaw said:

e163e585.jpg
My roommate and I were laughing during the speech when Biden was all "My wife is drop dead gorgeous" or whatever, and in the background you could see Barack like nodding, but not smiling, very serious, like "hell yea she is!"

Agent Icebeezy said:

Romney or Liebermann then?

The republicans are scared. They expected Obama the arrogant thing: chose an inexperienced person he got along with greatly, dismissing any consequences (Kaine, Byah). They would have easily been able to destroy those picks, a la:

(Kaine has been governor for less than a term and hasn't done anything spectacular. Sebelius is a no name governor from a pure red state; she has an anti-gun history, she has tried to raise taxes on many occasions, and she has no foreign policy experience. Bayh was a very successful governor of a red state, he cut taxes...but he also co-chaired a committee for the liberation of Iraq with John McCain; Biden was initially wrong about Iraq but Bayh went overboard.)

Bayh especially would have been easy to target due to his wife. Biden isn't your average VP: McCain will be running against Biden as much as he is running against Obama; that's usually not the case with VPs right. If I had to guess I'd say he'll have to pick someone who understands the economy, someone who can viciously lay into Obama (voters prefer Obama's domestic policy) while he himself has to play defense against Biden with more than the recent "my friends, he doesn't know what he's talking about!" bullshit.

reilo

I'm curious how many of people when they were in their 20s voted for JFK and are now voting for Obama - or not voting for Obama and why. Those would be some interesting stats.

reilo

grandjedi6 said:
Can you imagine Biden vs Lieberman? It would be epic

Biden can pull the "you lost and fucked this up for us 8 years ago already, and I will not let you do it again" card.

JFK not only pulling the change card, but pulling the "Nixon's politics and thinking are of the old".

Hootie

JFK has been name dropping presidents like there's no tomorrow.

If Obama tried doing that at the DNC this year people would have no idea what he would be talking about :lol

reilo

Hootie said:
JFK has been name dropping presidents like there's no tomorrow.

If Obama tried doing that at the DNC this year people would have no idea what he would be talking about :lol

"Who the fuck is Bill Clinton?"

Hootie said:
What madness is this? My hope is still burning like the Olympic Flame right now.

There's still hope! Believe.
All right. I'll believe with you again Hootie. You look over there, ok? So you can almost see it.

Guys like us, they ain't got no running mate. And they ain't got nobody in the world to give a hoot in hell about them. But not Obama. Because Obama has Clark and Clark has Obama. They're going to get a little place on Pennsylvania Ave, and they're gonna have some policies, and a Presidential Cabinet. Down in the Oval Office they'll have a little change, maybe some hope for the people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom