• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

ALIQUIPPA, Pa. -- Hillary Clinton said today she was the only candidate voters could count on to end the war in Iraq and bring troops home.

The senator appeared with veterans and retired military officers at an event outside Pittsburgh that focused on military readiness. She said the war in Iraq must be ended and the military rebuilt and used yesterday's Senate hearings on the war's progress to argue presumptive Republican nominee John McCain was not prepared to end the war.

She said McCain "has said that it would be alright with him if we kept troops in Iraq for up to 100 years, and again yesterday, he basically reiterated his commitment to the course that we are on in Iraq. Well, I don't agree with that. We need to be planning and preparing to start bringing our troops home, and I have committed to doing that within 60 days of my becoming president."

McCain's campaign has been especially quick about pushing back against Obama when he asserts the Arizona senator would be fine with staying in Iraq for a century, but has seemed less critical when Clinton has made almost identical remarks.

Also:

040908DemSupport1_adfaeghpc350cgs2.gif

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
obviously Clinton is just parroting Obamapologists, who are really to blame for painting such blatant misinformation.

even though it's right

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
McCain is really going to be hurt this year in the GE due to that 100 years comment.

APF

Lucky Forward said:
I have no idea what specific kinds of missions McCain flew in Vietnam, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-guided_bomb

"John McCain's capture and imprisonment began on October 26, 1967. [...] Altogether, McCain was held as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years. He was finally released from captivity on March 14, 1973"

scorcho: always trying to pimp-out "Obamapologists."

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, that looks like a new low for her.

BTW, Bush really quit drinking because of a hangover at his 40th birthday? I would've thought it would be something more important than that.

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
Huh, that looks like a new low for her.

BTW, Bush really quit drinking because of a hangover at his 40th birthday? I would've thought it would be something more important than that.
Shit, I've probably had worse hangovers on a Wednesday. Afternoon.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
mckmas8808 said:
McCain is really going to be hurt this year in the GE due to that 100 years comment.

Even without that, he'd be in major trouble. It's not like he's an awesome can't-miss candidate that's being crippled by this one quote. It's that he's an awful candidate with nary a grasp on much of anything getting free publicity because of that one quote.

Media: Poor, poor McCain. So taken out of context. *sobs*

People: Whatever. Good for his ass.

APF

bob_arctor said:
Media: Poor, poor McCain. So taken out of context. *sobs*
This is what I'm saying. The media actually likes McCain. They have a big-time crush on Obama too, but he's like the popular jock who doesn't want his cool tainted by hanging around dorks with notepads. McCain's like the teacher who's been at the school forever, doesn't give out grades, and gets high with the students after classes. They might think he's a little weird, but they like hanging out with him and think it's unfair if you pick on him.

quadriplegicjon said:
what do you mean?
Just saying that all Clinton supporters isn't uneducated and all Obama supporters is not educated, thats all. Although, this is not the first poll to say that Obama tend to grab educated individuals.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
topsyturvy said:
Just saying that all Clinton supporters isn't uneducated, thats all.
Please please please tell me that was on purpose.

Edit: Your stealth edit was either the realization of your error and a cover up, a trip further down the hole, or the continued embellishment of your satire.

topsyturvy said:
Just saying that all Clinton supporters isn't uneducated, thats all.
Its just...the level of education that supports Obama is scary from a "Democrat winning standpoint" as far as I am concerned, in the general election. Generally, the candidate for whom the educated vote ends up losing. However, this election is very special, very different. So we'll see.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
topsyturvy said:
Oh just give me a ticket or something grammer officer.
?!!?!?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Please stop this... I'm either being baited by a master instigator or this is the most hilarious representation of that poll in action.

3rdman

topsyturvy said:
Just saying that all Clinton supporters isn't uneducated and all Obama supporters is not educated, thats all. Although, this is not the first poll to say that Obama tend to grab educated individuals.
Well played, sir!

Incognito said:

David Gregory is terrible. I actually prefer Tucker because at least he was upfront with his bias. Gregory and the blond newscaster on CNN have a secret crush on McCain and defend him openly when anyone questions McCain's integrity or anything else and yuck it up on Obama bashing time.

Besides all that, his show is just flat boring.

Morning Joe is another joke. We know Scarborough's position even though he claims to be unbiased and have no preferences (yeah right). It would make sense to try and balance things out a bit so it wouldn't be so right-leaning, but the blonde on the show responses are pretty weak on the issues that she disagrees with. All it takes is Joe to talk over her one time and she shuts down and just agrees with him. The third guy on the show is also useless as well. He ends up just agreeing with both on them on everything.

ari

Banned
Topsyturvy, you are such an attention whore. The fact that you even edited to bait is pathetic.

that is all.

KRS7

maximum360 said:
David Gregory is terrible. I actually prefer Tucker because at least he was upfront with his bias. Gregory and the blond newscaster on CNN have a secret crush on McCain and defend him openly when anyone questions McCain's integrity or anything else and yuck it up on Obama bashing time.

Besides all that, his show is just flat boring.

Morning Joe is another joke. We know Scarborough's position even though he claims to be unbiased and have no preferences (yeah right). It would make sense to try and balance things out a bit so it wouldn't be so right-leaning, but the blonde on the show responses are pretty weak on the issues that she disagrees with. All it takes is Joe to talk over her one time and she shuts down and just agrees with him. The third guy on the show is also useless as well. He ends up just agreeing with both on them on everything.

I agree on David, he is almost unwatchable. His panel is occasionally interesting, but that usually is not enough to save the show.

Morning Joe would be so much better if they had Rachel Maddow or another similar personality instead of Mika or whatever her name is. As you said, she is pathetic at defending her stances. I have no idea why they have her on the show.

Cheebs

maximum360 said:
lolz greggory.

Bush calls him "stretch".

Also the reason Greggory COULD replace Matthews is because CBS is currently trying to steal matthews away from NBC, they want him to host their CBS sunday morning show opposite of Meet The Press.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
topsyturvy said:

It's not necessarily that Clinton supporters are uneducated, it's that they're likely to be low-information passing-interest voters that generally base their decisions chiefly on name recognition ("brand name.")

mashoutposse said:
It's not necessarily that Clinton supporters are uneducated, it's that they're likely to be low-information passing-interest voters that generally base their decisions chiefly on name recognition ("brand name.")

That pretty much sums it up.

Joe

regarding morning joe. the blond (forgot her name) pretty much let's joe walk and talk all over her during the show but right after morning joe she has her own show and she does a very good job. the producers definitely hold her down during morning joe.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
maximum360 said:
That pretty much sums it up.

I've discussed with many of voters of this exact class here in NYC; the reason for Clinton support generally boils down to, "The Clintons were good in the '90s."

APF

mashoutposse said:
Ironic position, considering the press given to Obama's brand name strategy, iconography, design consistency, etc. As an aside however, I find it weird that folks find it necessary to denigrate what is essentially the base of the Democratic party, for the overeducated hipster douche base playing "My First Election." But no matter, soon enough those stupid undereducated elderly ignoramuses will once again be the core, the backbone of America that's being assaulted by John McSame's farcical run to steal the Presidency for the Repuglicans.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
mashoutposse said:
I've discussed with many of voters of this exact class here in NYC; the reason for Clinton support generally boils down to, "The Clintons were good in the '90s."

Exactly. Everyone I know who's voting Hill, or has expressed a leaning toward her, give that as the primary reason. Actually, only reason.

Tamanon

Banned
I never understood the educated/uneducated poor/rich voting blocs. You have a party that runs on social welfare and they get the rich elite, and you have another party that runs on keeping the government out of your life and welfare being bad, and they get the poor. It's bizarre.

APF

Inherent to the credibility of the argument connecting education on political issues to candidate selection is the notion that there must be a gulf of differences on political issues between these candidates, something which is pretty much untrue, and both candidates deny. I think the reality is more muddled--that while Obama folks may be over-educated white hipsters inspired into closely following politics by Dear Leader His Holiness The Second Barack Obama Peace Be Upon Him, they're more interested in the TMZ gossip-style differences than those of policy.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
APF said:
Ironic position, considering the press given to Obama's brand name strategy, iconography, design consistency, etc.

Not really. There's nothing wrong with making a name for oneself -- no one is criticizing the Clintons for something as central to politics as that. The problem lies with voters making judgments based on a fuzzy view of decade-old exploits without consideration for what the candidate in question has done lately (or even a critical look at those past accomplishments).

As an aside however, I find it weird that folks find it necessary to denigrate what is essentially the base of the Democratic party, for the overeducated hipster douche base playing "My First Election." But no matter, soon enough those stupid undereducated elderly ignoramuses will once again be the core, the backbone of America that's being assaulted by John McSame's farcical run to steal the Presidency for the Repuglicans.

As heated as these primaries have been, not everyone is paying attention. When the GE campaign is well underway, the introduction of Obama to the base (or the re-introduction of Clinton) will begin. Everyone will be more or less on the same page in time for November.

bob_arctor said:
Exactly. Everyone I know who's voting Hill, or has expressed a leaning toward her, give that as the primary reason. Actually, only reason.

Gender politics does have a role to play as well (but that's not to say race hasn't played a role in primaries for all three) and will be a factor in the GE. Besides the one black guy holding the umbrella for McCain it's usually snow white behind him on-stage. He never had the black vote really to begin with (and doesn't need it to win so why bother fighting for it). Hillary and Obama on the other hand need black, white, latino, etc. It'll be interesting to see that if Obama gets the Nom (and after contentious feelings have dissipated) where the white women and latino votes go.

Rur0ni

APF said:
Inherent to the credibility of the argument connecting education on political issues to candidate selection is the notion that there must be a gulf of differences on political issues between these candidates, something which is pretty much untrue, and both candidates deny. I think the reality is more muddled--that while Obama folks may be over-educated white hipsters inspired into closely following politics by Dear Leader His Holiness The Second Barack Obama Peace Be Upon Him, they're more interested in the TMZ gossip-style differences than those of policy.
Sometimes when I read your posts, I feel like this:

th_drool.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
maximum360 said:
Gender politics does have a role to play as well (but that's not to say race hasn't played a role in primaries for all three) and will be a factor in the GE. Besides the one black guy holding the umbrella for McCain it's usually snow white behind him on-stage. He never had the black vote really to begin with (and doesn't need it to win so why bother fighting for it). Hillary and Obama on the other hand need black, white, latino, etc. It'll be interesting to see that if Obama gets the Nom (and after contentious feelings have dissipated) where the white women and latino votes go.

I will say, that was the most unfortunate time to have a black man shielding a white man from the rain.:lol

GhaleonEB

bob_arctor said:
Interesting story on NPR last night about a super delegate and how he's been courted.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89474042

With the Pennsylvania primary only two weeks away, there is intense pressure on the state's superdelegates, who are being courted by both Democratic candidates, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Altmire says even his constituents are ratcheting up the pressure. "Sen. Obama had a rally in my district on St. Patrick's Day, which I attended, because I make it a point to attend anything that's in my district, and the media reported it. We got a few dozen calls from people supporting Sen. Clinton, saying that you should think twice if you're going to support Sen. Obama."

The message was clear. If Altmire supported Obama, the Clintons' supporters might not back him come November. Altmire is likely to face a tough rematch in his southwestern district with the Republican he ousted from the seat in 2006.

When he returns the calls of the Clinton supporters, Altmire says they frequently tell him that this is Clinton's time and that she has earned this; Obama is young and can afford to wait.

Because Altmire has not yet committed to a candidate, he has heard plenty from both Democratic hopefuls — and their spouses.

"Sen. Obama first called me in June 2007 and asked for my support," he says. "At that time, no one thought Pennsylvania would be relevant. No one thought superdelegates would be relevant. He was already thinking to the long term."

Altmire says Clinton's campaign did not reach out until just before the Texas and Ohio primaries in early March.
It's her turn.

APF

mashoutposse said:
The problem lies with voters making judgments based on a fuzzy view of decade-old exploits without consideration for what the candidate in question has done lately (or even a critical look at those past accomplishments)..
So say people arguing for a candidate who is more talk than accomplishment, whose platform is based on evanescent concepts of "change" and "hope," whose supporters sputter and fizzle whenever his ascendancy or perfection is challenged.

mrmyth

APF said:
Ironic position, considering the press given to Obama's brand name strategy, iconography, design consistency, etc. As an aside however, I find it weird that folks find it necessary to denigrate what is essentially the base of the Democratic party, for the overeducated hipster douche base playing "My First Election." But no matter, soon enough those stupid undereducated elderly ignoramuses will once again be the core, the backbone of America that's being assaulted by John McSame's farcical run to steal the Presidency for the Repuglicans.

APF said:

Matrix_architectsittingandchatting.gif

belvedere

Junior Butler
APF said:

Everyone remember that the next time APF pisses everyone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom