• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mandark said:
http://www.johnmccain.com/involving/petition.aspx?guid=b78a8ed9-4c5e-4465-bae1-3df01c3b2bed

It's too bad there's no tracking of groups, or GAF could compete for the most signatures.

:lol :lol

McCain is started to look like a true ass. Because is opponents don't think just like him means that they are listening to the far left and not themselves?

Lift the debate higher you say John? How about you answer the question of what victory is? How about you explain that 100 years in Iraq quote!!!

APF

Wait, what is he asking me to sign over there? A declaration that as President John McCain would see victory in Iraq?

Tamanon

Banned
Mandark: Not really. Biden got some good points in, but in the end, nothing was answered, we still have no clue what victory is or when it will happen.

APF: I guess it's a petition to have John McCain be victorious. Who knew that was the one thing keeping us from VICTORY!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mandark said:
I missed the Petraeus/Crocker hearings. Looking for the transcripts now.

Anything good?
if by 'good' you mean 'revelatory', then the short answer: no. Iraq is still the focal point of our national security, Iran's national interest is in allowing us free reign to install a puppet regime on their border and our military policy should blissfully follow whatever Bin Laden says.

although you missed a very cute moment where Lieberman argued that there was greater political progress in Iraq compared to Washington DC.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I'm impressed at how well that one quip sums up Lieberman: bitching about partisanship and lying about Iraq. That's pretty much all he does anymore.

Tamanon

Banned
Mandark said:
I'm impressed at how well that one quip sums up Lieberman: bitching about partisanship and lying about Iraq. That's pretty much all he does anymore.

One almost wonders where he gets his talking points from.....lying about Iraq....pointing towards Iran......:p

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I think the talking points write themselves if you've tied your ego to the war in Iraq.

* America's allies represent the Iraqi people.

* America's enemies do not. They are mostly foreigners or pawns of foreigners.

* We're winning!

* But not so much that we can leave victoriously, or even think about when that might happen.

* This is part of a larger battle against an amorphous, swarthy enemy.

* Anything that's bad for us must be good for them.

The stuff we're hearing now is basically the same things that were being said in 2003 and 2004 about Sunni "foreign fighters" who actually made up a very small fraction of the insurgency at that time.

It's a lot easier to explain a commitment to the occupation when the resistance isn't coming from the people we're allegedly helping.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mandark said:
I think the talking points write themselves if you've tied your ego to the war in Iraq.

* America's allies represent the Iraqi people.

* America's enemies do not. They are mostly foreigners or pawns of foreigners.

* We're winning!

* But not so much that we can leave victoriously, or even think about when that might happen.

* This is part of a larger battle against an amorphous, swarthy enemy.

* Anything that's bad for us must be good for them.

The stuff we're hearing now is basically the same things that were being said in 2003 and 2004 about Sunni "foreign fighters" who actually made up a very small fraction of the insurgency at that time.

It's a lot easier to explain a commitment to the occupation when the resistance isn't coming from the people we're allegedly helping.

yeah, it's the same bullshit of "WE HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO THE IRAQI PEOPLE!!111"

What about our government's obligations to US? :/

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
mckmas8808 said:
normal_5.jpg
r-OBAMA-FUNDRAISING-medium260.jpg

KRS7

GaimeGuy said:
yeah, it's the same bullshit of "WE HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO THE IRAQI PEOPLE!!111"

What about our government's obligations to US? :/

What ever do you mean?

It's easily meeting its obligation to waste our money, waste our children's money, lie to us, insult our intelligence, and much much more.

masud

Banned
I don't understand why McCain gets more heat for the '100 years' coment than when he was singing about bombing Iran.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
masud said:
I don't understand why McCain gets more heat for the '100 years' coment than when he was singing about bombing Iran.

That's a thing that is easy to forget - in the general election, there is an unlimited supply of attacks on McCain on REALLY disturbing and important stuff. Unlimited.

KRS7

masud said:

You haven't heard?? Veterans are entitled to a different sense of humor, that was just solder humor. In McCain's own words, you need to get a life.

I wonder how we would react if a presidential candidate from a nuclear power was joking about bombing the United States?

KRS7 said:
I wonder how we would react if a presidential candidate from a nuclear power was joking about bombing the United States?
That was called the Cuban Missile Crisis, although I think they were bluffing more than joking.

syllogism

Fragamemnon said:
She's closed within 10 according to SUSA here in NC as well.

A big win in PA would result in a need for a correspondingly large win in NC for Obama to keep the 'this thing isn't close' narrative going.
The previous SUSA NC poll had Obama up by +8%

xbhaskarx

Obama campaign discriminating against non-whites?

The Tartan
(Carnegie Mellon's Student Newspaper)

While the crowd was indeed diverse, some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama’s event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama. The Tartan’s correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, “Get me more white people, we need more white people
To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though.”

“I didn’t know they would say, ‘We need a white person here,’ ” said attendee and senior psychology major Shayna Watson, who sat in the crowd behind Mrs. Obama.
“I understood they would want a show of diversity, but to pick up people and to reseat them, I didn’t know it would be so outright

Also "reseated" and moved out of the front row:
T012714A.jpg

Cheebs

xbhaskarx said:
Obama campaign discriminating against non-whites?

The Tartan
(Carnegie Mellon's Student Newspaper)

Also "reseated" and moved out of the front row:
T012714A.jpg
This happened to me when I went to one of his rallies in ohio. They put me and my family right behind Obama because they guy working for him told me "we need to get more white people for the cameras".

The audience of the 10k at the rally was likely about 65%-70% black. While the people situated behind Obama (including myself lol) for the CNN feed was like 70% white.

xbhaskarx

Cheebs said:
This happened to me when I went to one of his rallies in ohio. They put me and my family right behind Obama because they guy working for him told me "we need to get more white people for the cameras".

Unfortunately for The Onion and The Colbert Report, the comedic art of making up news stories for maximum irony is now dead.

Maybe this is just the inevitable end result of identity politics.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, that's nothing new for any campaign, people don't think they actually just chose people at random to sit up behind the candidate, do they?

xbhaskarx

Tamanon said:
Yeah, that's nothing new for any campaign, people don't think they actually just chose people at random to sit up behind the candidate, do they?

Do you mean when it's usually other politicians, campaign staff, family, and VIPs surrounding a candidate on stage? Are you comparing that to racial discrimination?

Or are you really saying that non-white people regularly get physically moved out of their seats, away from the first row behind political candidates, in favor of white people?

If that's really a regular practice in political campaigns, I have a feeling there would have been more of an outcry by now.

Discrimination based on race is generally frowned upon in this country, not only are such practices unpopular with the public and therefore unlikely to be used by those seeking elected office, there are even some laws against it.

gcubed

Tamanon said:

just like tv shows, you think they put ugly people behind hosts if the camera is on them alot?

xbhaskarx said:
Do you mean when it's usually other politicians, campaign staff, family, and VIPs surrounding a candidate on stage? Are you comparing that to racial discrimination?

Or are you really saying that non-white people regularly get physically moved out of their seats, away from the first row behind political candidates, in favor of white people?

If that's really a regular practice in political campaigns, I have a feeling there would have been more of an outcry by now.

Discrimination based on race is generally frowned upon in this country, not only are such practices unpopular with the public and therefore unlikely to be used by those seeking elected office, there are even some laws against it.

they move pretty people to the front, and im pretty sure they make sure no one in the front has any negative, poorly worded, offensive, or stupid signs or shirts.

this is the era of tv magic maing.

xbhaskarx

gcubed said:
just like tv shows, you think they put ugly people behind hosts if the camera is on them alot?

I'm almost certain that US Civil Rights laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. But is there any mention of discrimination against "ugly people"?

gcubed

xbhaskarx said:
I'm almost certain that US Civil Rights laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. But is there any mention of discrimination against "ugly people"?

there should be! Save the ugly people

Tamanon

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Um, what? Have you ever seen a campaign rally? There's usually 3 or 4 rows of people from the audience behind the candidate. Campaign staff/family/VIPs don't come to rallies much, and if they do, they don't have an on-stage presence. That only happens on election nights usually.

You've never seen the token black guy put up on stage at a McCain rally?

gkryhewy

I found this salon.com / Camille Paglia letter/response to be quite entertaining (also linked from Drudge):

Hillary's slick willies
Camille Paglia

April 9, 2008 | I would like to get your feedback on the subject of those who end up in Hillary's orbit. Can you conceive of a strong, leader-type male ever working under her? An alpha, if you will. And if the answer is no, then why do you think that is?

The men you always see under her are to a person passive-aggressive, sadistic, mean, little, petty beta-male pieces of work who would not naturally succeed in a common male-type hierarchy. By that I mean an environment that values straightforward achievement rather than the darker political arts.

That statement is in no way meant to exclude women. In fact, I work with many women who succeed just as well in this environment. It is just a shorthand for an environment that values achievement and straight talk. Hillary's persona is simply not compatible with another strong will, male or female -- but definitely male, and that itself is a big red flag.

What kind of person would go to work for a Clinton in the first place? A naive true-believer? Everyone knows what they would be getting into: constant war rooms, personal attacks, spin, daily damage control, a boss prone to temper tantrums, placing your own integrity out on the ledge as a shill for a fundamentally dishonest person. I would argue that nobody who hasn't already sold their soul years ago would ever want to be a part of that mess.

Your thoughts?

Chris Richard
Agoura Hills, Calif.

You have succinctly expressed one of the most unsettling aspects of Hillary Clinton's character and modus operandi. There is a strangely static and claustrophobic quality to the fiercely loyal cult she has gathered around her since her first lady years. Postmortem analysts of this presidential campaign will have a field day ferreting out all the cringe-making blunders made by her clique of tired, aging courtiers who couldn't adjust to changing political realities. Hillary's forces have acted like the heavy, pompous galleons of the imperial Spanish Armada, outmaneuvered by the quick, bold, entrepreneurial ships of the English fleet.

I agree that the male staff who Hillary attracts are slick, geeky weasels or rancid, asexual cream puffs. (One of the latter, the insufferable Mark Penn, just got the heave-ho after he played Hillary for a patsy with the Colombian government.) If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say Hillary is reconstituting the toxic hierarchy of her childhood household, with her on top instead of her drill-sergeant father. All those seething beta males (as you so aptly describe them) are versions of her sad-sack brothers, who got the short end of the Rodham DNA stick.

The compulsive war-room mentality of both Clintons is neurosis writ large. The White House should not be a banging, rocking washer perpetually stuck on spin cycle. Many Democrats, including myself, have come to doubt whether Hillary has any core values or even a stable sense of identity. With her outlandish fibbing and naive self-puffery, her erratic day-to-day changes of tone and message, her glassy, fixed smiles, and her leaden and embarrassingly unpresidential jokes about pop culture, she has started to seem like one of those manic, seductively vampiric patients in trashy old Hollywood hospital flicks like "The Snake Pit." How anyone could confuse Hillary's sourly cynical, male-bashing megalomania with authentic feminism is beyond me.

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah, at the 2004 Republican National Convention, the Daily Show went around handing out TDS hats and crap to any minority delegate they could find. "Excuse me, I think you're going to be seen on TV, will you wear this hat?"

Tamanon

Banned
McCain is really starting to sound like a wuss, which is tough to do for a hawk.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ays-obama-team-apology-falls-short/#more-6318

(CNN) – John McCain’s campaign said an apology from Barack Obama’s team for comments from West Virginia Sen. Jay Rockefeller, who supports the Illinois senator’s presidential bid, were not enough, calling for a response from the candidate himself.

“It was a spokesperson. Just as with the situation with liberal attack artist Ed Schultz, Obama refused to reject the statements personally. It’s a trend that undermines Barack Obama’s credibility when he makes calls for a ‘new’ more ‘accountable’ debate,” said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

The Obama campaign and Rockefeller both apologized Tuesday afternoon for his comments about the presumptive Republican nominee’s war record in a West Virginia paper.

“Senator Obama has a deep respect for Senator McCain’s service to this country and doesn’t agree with what Senator Rockefeller said,” said Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki.

Rockefeller’s Senate office released a statement by the senator that said he regretted the comment. “I have deep respect for John McCain’s honorable and noble service to our country. I made an inaccurate and wrong analogy and I have extended my sincere apology to him.

“While we differ a great deal on policy issues, I profoundly respect and appreciate his dedication to our country, and I regret my very poor choice of words.”

At virtually the same moment, the McCain camp charged that his comments were “more than a coincidence that Obama campaign surrogates are making character attacks against John McCain without any repudiation.”

“Barack Obama’s silence is giving his surrogates a license to make attacks that don’t contribute to the dialogue on the issues,” said Bounds.

“As long as people affiliated with Barack Obama’s new brand of politics continue to make gutter attacks, we are going to call on Barack Obama to do something about it. And so far he’s done nothing.”

Even more ironic when you consider the whole Tiger Woods comment.

Triumph

Banned
What's very amusing (and instructive, really) is to note WHEN Penn got the boot.

Did he get it when there was controversy over his clients, like Blackwater and the ilk? No.
Did he get it when his strategy was revealed to be a massive failure? No.
Did he get it when everyone else in the campaign hated him and wanted him gone? No.

He got the boot when he was personally disloyal to Hillary Clinton. Because that's the worst thing you can do, in her book.

APF said:
In other news:

Obama supporter attempts Swift Boating of McCain, implies fighter pilots are inhuman killing machines unmoved by the cost in human lives their mechanical bloodlust demands (also, lasers in 'Nam)
I have no idea what specific kinds of missions McCain flew in Vietnam, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-guided_bomb

Laser-guided weapons were first developed in the United States in the early 1960s. The USAF issued the first development contracts in 1964, leading to the development of the Paveway series, which was used operationally in Vietnam starting in 1968. Although there were a variety of technical and operational problems, the results were generally positive. LGBs proved to offer a much higher degree of accuracy than unguided weapons, but without the expense, complexity, and limitations of guided air-to-ground missiles like the AGM-12 Bullpup. The LGB proved particularly effective against difficult fixed targets like bridges, which previously had required huge loads of "dumb" ordnance, and large numbers of sorties, to destroy.

It was determined that 48 percent of Paveways dropped during 1972–73 around Hanoi and Haiphong achieved direct hits, compared with only 5.5 percent of unguided bombs dropped on the same area a few years earlier.[1] The average Paveway landed within 23 feet of its target, as opposed to 447 feet for gravity bombs.[1] The leap in accuracy brought about primarily by laser guidance made it possible to take out heavily defended, point objectives that had eluded earlier air raids. The most dramatic example was the Thanh Hoa Bridge, 70 miles south of Hanoi, a critical crossing point over the Red River. Starting in 1965, U.S. pilots had flown 871 sorties against it, losing 11 planes without managing to put it out of commission. In 1972 the “Dragon’s Jaw” bridge was attacked with Paveway bombs, and 14 jets managed to do what the previous 871 had not: drop the span, and cut a critical North Vietnamese supply artery.[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom