• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Generally you're able to bring cameras, just not bags. They'll make you actually turn the camera off and on to prove it's not a bomb, most likely, that's all.

artredis1980 said:
i thought bitter tears would have the opposite effect, just shows the common man in USA is not stupid

041308DailyUpdateGraph1_xz7yt6jk.gif
Americans are so cool :D

CoolTrick

Banned
*eyes* You people did the same thing when Rev. Wright hit. "OH, LOOK, GALLUP HAD NO CHANGE IN A POLL CONDUCTED LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THE VOTE."

Delusional delusional delusional.

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
*eyes* You people did the same thing when Rev. Wright hit. "OH, LOOK, GALLUP HAD NO CHANGE IN A POLL CONDUCTED LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THE VOTE."

And to be fair, Reverend Wright had no permanent impact on the polls:p

Xeke

Banned
gluv65 said:
here's the fox interview that was talked about earlier, yes they are bitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4xPuDgKO04&eurl=http://www.bittervoters.org/

But that's impossible because some really smart people in this thread said that everyone in pennsylvania thought that he was being and elitist.:lol

How dare that typical white man agree with anything Obama says!

CoolTrick said:
Except, no, because I certainly read his full bit -- I read the context. It was still a stupid thing to say and he deserves the hit.

And that typical white pennsylvanian republican doesn't agree with you. The exact kind of person that it is supposed to offend agrees with it. What fucking planet are you on?

CoolTrick

Banned
And to be fair, Reverend Wright had no permanent impact on the polls:p

Of course it did. What in the world are you smoking? Just because it showed no permanent impact on the few polls you were looking at doesn't mean it didn't have an impact. It really hurt Obama's favorability ratings, hurt him in Pennsylvania and other territories, hurt him with Independants and Conservatives, and will hurt him in the general.

If you think it didn't have a permanent impact on the polls, you're living in the Obamabubble.

I doubt this is as bad but of course Obama is going to take a hit. It's already apparent in the Rasmussen poll.

And that typical white pennsylvanian republican doesn't agree with you.

*eyes* There are plenty of anecdotes that say the opposite, so no point in playing that game.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
CoolTrick said:
Of course it did. What in the world are you smoking? Just because it showed no permanent impact on the few polls you were looking at doesn't mean it didn't have an impact. It really hurt Obama's favorability ratings, hurt him in Pennsylvania and other territories, hurt him with Independants and Conservatives, and will hurt him in the general.

If you think it didn't have a permanent impact on the polls, you're living in the Obamabubble.

I doubt this is as bad but of course Obama is going to take a hit. It's already apparent in the Rasmussen poll.

*eyes* There are plenty of anecdotes that say the opposite, so no point in playing that game.
Explain Obama being ahead of Hillary in a statistically significant way by one of the most accurate polls (Gallup) for weeks now.

During which Hillary hit an all-time low of 41 points.

Spin away.

Edit: Unless your argument is that Obama should be even more significantly in the lead than he currently is....but somehow I doubt that.

Cheebs

CoolTrick said:

Why did Clinton go down more than Obama during the Wright scandal then? In the very same favorability poll I know you are implying.

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:

I never said it didn't have an impact. It didn't have a PERMANENT one. Don't be so touchy.

Wait, Rasmussen is being offered as proof, but you say Gallup doesn't count because not enough time has passed?:p

Xeke

Banned
Tamanon said:
I never said it didn't have an impact. It didn't have a PERMANENT one. Don't be so touchy.

Wait, Rasmussen is being offered as proof, but you say Gallup doesn't count because not enough time has passed?:p

Of course.

But when Rasmussen shows Obama way ahead it is disregarded as inaccurate.

CoolTrick

Banned
Explain Obama being ahead of Hillary in a statistically significant way by one of the most accurate polls (Gallup) for weeks now.

Because to only look at that is being in your little delusional bubble.

I'm not going to debate this. I'm not going to drudge up polls for you guys. If you people genuinely don't think the Rev. Wright didn't permanently hurt Obama and he's covered in all the polls, then you can enjoy your outrage when it's brought up again and again and again.

I'm more than happy to say it allegedly didn't hurt in Obama's tracking on Gallup if it didn't. But to say he wasn't hurt at all when you just saw one of the two major daily pollsters put Clinton ahead and the other still hadn't even had a full day before interviews on this were conducted, how in the world can you say it hasn't had an effect?

RubxQub

CoolTrick said:
Because to only look at that is being in your little delusional bubble.

I'm not going to debate this. I'm not going to drudge up polls for you guys. If you people genuinely don't think the Rev. Wright didn't permanently hurt Obama and he's covered in all the polls, then you can enjoy your outrage when it's brought up again and again and again.
So what are you basing your opinion on?

I'm putting forth national polling data, and you're putting forth...what? You're opinion?

You lose.

CoolTrick

Banned
I'm putting forth national polling data, and you're putting forth...what? You're opinion?

I already told you. His favorability numbers fell, his standings with independants and conservatives fell, it very very likely slowed his catchup in Pennsylvania, and it's still being talked about. The same people that have started to be cited as being hurt in PA. I think according to Rasmussen, the impact was softer on actual Democrats. Same with Rev. Wright. I doubt bittergate is as bad for Obama as that minister, but it hurts him with the same people.

Why you continue to deny the impact of this story just boggles my mind. Just because you don't think it matters doesn't mean it doesn't matter to other people.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CoolTrick said:
I'm not going to debate this.

Well, you have yet to start, you know, actually debating instead of spewing nonsensical rhetoric. I won't hold my breath though.

theBishop

Banned
Being a Pennsylvanian, I don't think Barack's off the mark whatsoever.

If he takes a hit on this it will have nothing to do with the content of his statement. Rather, it will be on the way in which Obama has generalized a group of people. No one likes to have an "outsider" sum them up in what could be perceived as a negative light.

RubxQub

CoolTrick said:
I already told you. His favorability numbers fell, his standings with independants and conservatives fell, it very very likely slowed his catchup in Pennsylvania, and it's still being talked about. The same people that have started to be cited as being hurt in PA. I think according to Rasmussen, the impact was softer on actual Democrats. Same with Rev. Wright. I doubt bittergate is as bad for Obama as that minister, but it hurts him with the same people.

Why you continue to deny the impact of this story just boggles my mind. Just because you don't think it matters doesn't mean it doesn't matter to other people.
Offer any substantiating evidence aside from your own opinion, otherwise you fail.

Good day.

CoolTrick

Banned
RubxQub said:
Offer any substantiating evidence aside from your own opinion, otherwise you fail.

Good day.

Go look at some polls.

That shit is objective fact. Just because you don't want to look at it doesn't mean it isn't true, it isn't there, and that it can be ignored.

YOU fail.

RubxQub

CoolTrick said:
Go look at some polls.

That shit is objective fact. Just because you don't want to look at it doesn't mean it isn't true, it isn't there, and that it can be ignored.

YOU fail.

Tell me what you see.

CoolTrick

Banned
By the way, my prediction for how this story affects Obama in PA:

I doubt it does too much because the real swing voters in this race are likely to focus on the "people being bitter" part of what he said, the alright-people in the suburbs.

What I do think this does is hurt him even more with a demographic he's been unable to win over much: the social values voters -- IE, in Pennsylvania, the Catholic vote. THEY are the ones who, since they believe religion is so important in their lives, I predict will focus on Obama saying "people cling to religion [as a way to express their bitterness]" and NOT take kindly to that whatsoever. It's that latter part that really hurts him, and the people to be most affected by that are probably already in Hillary's Camp. However, of course, this can't help, and may see her get even more of that vote than the 80% she was getting before.

CoolTrick

Banned
RubxQub said:

Tell me what you see.

Tell me what you read:

"In the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, Clinton has gained a statistically-insignificant one-point advantage over Obama, 46% to 45%. Obama led by a significant margin for most of the past week, but his advantage had declined slightly even before his controversial remarks from San Francisco made news (see recent daily results)."

*eyes*

Oh, and by the way, I see you aren't bringing up his favorability numbers, his standings with independant and conservative voters, etc. etc., all the people that I said this was hurting him with. Newsflash: The Gallup Daily isn't breaking down that for you.

Oh, but, wait, Rasmussen does, and low and behold, since you want to stay so focused on DAILY tracking polls, shows that Obama's favorability numbers have taken a hit since even yesterday I believe.

CoolTrick said:

Uh, the impact of the Wright controversy was immediate. He fell the day after the story broke. It took a few days for him to fall below Clinton, but he had a drop in polling for the day after the story initially broke nationally.

RubxQub

CoolTrick said:
Tell me what you read:

"In the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, Clinton has gained a statistically-insignificant one-point advantage over Obama, 46% to 45%. Obama led by a significant margin for most of the past week, but his advantage had declined slightly even before his controversial remarks from San Francisco made news (see recent daily results)."

*eyes*

Oh, and by the way, I see you aren't bringing up his favorability numbers, his standings with independant and conservative voters, etc. etc., all the people that I said this was hurting him with.
You are really...really sad.

Should have known not to enter an argument with you.

CoolTrick

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Uh, the impact of the Wright controversy was immediate. He fell the day after the story broke. It took a few days for him to fall below Clinton, but he had a drop in polling for the day after the story initially broke nationally.

There was like a day where there was no movement in the Gallup poll, and people here went "SEE?! NO IMPACT!".

CoolTrick

Banned
RubxQub said:
You are really...really sad.

Should have known not to enter an argument with you.

Pardon?

Go look at polls about his favorability, his standings with independants, whites, and conservatives. He permanently fell.

You lose. Just because you don't want to look at them doesn't change that it's fact.

I'll even kindly point out where you can easily find one: Obama's hit in favorability is shown in the Rasmussen daily tracking poll.

reilo

CoolTrick said:
Pardon?

Go look at polls about his favorability, his standings with independants, whites, and conservatives. He permanently fell.

You lose. Just because you don't want to look at them doesn't change that it's fact.

I'll even kindly point out where you can easily find one: Obama's hit in favorability is shown in the Rasmussen daily tracking poll.

I love how you ignore the more credible tracking agency [Gallup] but keep spouting the numbers from one of the least credible. If you want to talk polls, surveys, and statistics, Survey USA will tell you that Rasmussen is on the bottom end of the scale.

But you know, everyone else is living in their bubble.

CoolTrick said:
There was like a day where there was no movement in the Gallup poll, and people here went "SEE?! NO IMPACT!".
Yeah, the day the story broke. The day after that, which is the equivalent to today, we saw some drop.

And I'm not denying a drop will eventually come by the way, especially when we get into normal weekday programming hammering him for it. But I'd say it's telling that the first day saw no fall-out. He'll be able to weather this thing.

CoolTrick

Banned
It has nothing to do with what polling agency, jesus.

But the Gallup daily tracks what it tracks and doesn't break it down. You're never getting the subgroups.

Rev. Wright permanently hurt Obama's favorability numbers, his general electability, and his standings with independants, conservatives, and whites.

That data comes from various sources, not just Rasmussen, but it's there, and you all SAW it when the Rev. Wright was the #1 story, so why you try to deny it now I have no idea.

CoolTrick

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Yeah, the day the story broke. The day after that, which is the equivalent to today, we saw some drop.

And I'm not denying a drop will eventually come by the way, especially when we get into normal weekday programming hammering him for it. But I'd say it's telling that the first day saw no fall-out. He'll be able to weather this thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story broke Friday night. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that interviews conducted less than a day after it broke and gained traction may not reflect how this story hit -- especially when it shows it did in another polling firm.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What sucks is this story took the focus off of Bosnia/sniper gate which was getting renewed interest after Bill lied about her explanation.

Preliminary indications from interviews with 400 Likely Voters suggest that the comments are troublesome for Republicans and unaffiliated voters. However, there is less of an impact among Democrats. That tends to confirm the growing consensus that the comments may have more impact on the General Election than the Primaries.
- Ras

Initial indications are that the controversial remarks has not yet hurt Obama -- his 9-percentage point lead in the current results (based on March 10-12 polling) is right in line with the average 8.5-point lead he held in the prior six days' tracking results. Also, his lead in the current results shows a slight improvement from his 7-point advantage in March 9-11 polling. As the story gains momentum in the press, the coming days' tracking results will measure its ultimate impact.
- gallup

so basically, both pollsters say that as of today, the 'bitter' remarks have not had an impact on the daily tracking polls. Ras's Clinton+1, according to Ras, has nothing to do with the 'bitter' remarks. Gallup's Obama+9 also has nothing, as of today's polling, to do with the 'bitter' remarks.

Both pollsters say initial polling about the remarks say they havent done much. They caution with the initially, and say to look to coming polls to see if that changes.

CoolTrick cites the Ras Clinton+1, and says:
I'm more than happy to say it allegedly didn't hurt in Obama's tracking on Gallup if it didn't. But to say he wasn't hurt at all when you just saw one of the two major daily pollsters put Clinton ahead and the other still hadn't even had a full day before interviews on this were conducted, how in the world can you say it hasn't had an effect?

how in the world can you say it hasnt had an effect? by citing both pollsters who say the exact same thing, the change to Clinton+1 in Ras had nothing to do with the bitter remarks, and that initial indications say it won't change much, but to look to upcoming polls and to the GE polls to see if it hurts him. thats how.

now, this is not to say it won't actually hurt him, and that the polls will show this hurting his numbers in the coming polls. that is perfectly debatable and probably be true, but its debatable. but to say today's polls show any movement based on it is 100% (per the pollsters themselves) wrong.

reilo

CoolTrick said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story broke Friday night. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that interviews conducted less than a day after it broke and gained traction may not reflect how this story hit -- especially when it shows it did in another polling firm.

The story broke Friday morning. McCain and Hillary had a statement before noon the same day.

Posted April 11, 2008 | 06:43 AM (EST)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html

So, yes, you are wrong.

typhonsentra said:
Exactly.

He even saw a point raise the day after on this.

If there's no change by tomorrow I'd say it's as much a nonstory as the man in Penn on FoxNews said it was.

CoolTrick said:
It broke Friday morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html

Posted April 11, 2008 | 06:43 AM (EST)

It was also mentioned and discussed on all the primetime cable news shows on (On Fox at least, that's all I checked for that day). Millions upon millions of people heard about it on the first day alone.

CoolTrick

Banned
Uh....Wow. Astounding.

You just equated "less" to "no.

Likely Voters suggest that the comments are troublesome for Republicans and unaffiliated voters. However, there is less of an impact among Democrats.

That is far, far different than

not yet hurt Obama

Even just the latter part of the first sentence.

So, yes, you are wrong.

:lol :lol You people are so caught up in trying to prove me wrong you forget that it's not about what you or I think.

Obama's standing was hurt by Rev. Wright in his favorability, with independants and conservatives, and with white, rural voters.

FACT.

Whether or not you believe this is up to you.

CoolTrick

Banned
Francois the Great said:
why the hell are you guys arguing about whether it has had an effect or not? what will it accomplish?

just fucking wait and see, my god. this is painful.

That's all I've been fucking saying. But not according to the Followers of the Messiah. One day of Gallup daily tracking clearly must show it had no affect. Fucking jeez. Especially audacious after one daily pollster DID say it hurt him.

reilo

CoolTrick said:
Uh....Wow. Astounding.

You just equated "less" to "no.

That is far, far different than

Even just the latter part of the first sentence.

:lol :lol You people are so caught up in trying to prove me wrong you forget that it's not about what you or I think.

Obama's standing was hurt by Rev. Wright in his favorability, with independants and conservatives, and with white, rural voters.

FACT.

Whether or not you believe this is up to you.

Still on that Reverend Wright thing, huh?

Well, here is something that will shatter your life forever:

Hillary's lie about Bosnia has permanently hurt her MORE than the Wright controversy did Obama.

CoolTrick said:

this i would say is a very reasonable statement. debatable, as always, as how long this will hurt him, but reasonable none the less. all i was pointing out was that citing the Ras Clinton+1 as evidence the bitter remark has already begun to impact him is false. Will it impact him? probably. has that shown up yet? no.

CoolTrick said:
That's all I've been fucking saying. But not according to the Followers of the Messiah. One day of Gallup daily tracking clearly must show it had no affect. Fucking jeez. Especially audacious after one daily pollster DID say it hurt him.

but why argue with them? what will it accomplish?

just wait to see if it has an effect, and if it does then you can rub your dick in their faces. until then though bickering about it like this is ridiculous and ruins the thread. needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom