• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

Instigator said:
Or a fake devout Christian, much like the Clintons and a good chunk of the political establishment in the country.

And thank jebus for that. Look what happens when a legitimate evangelical nutjob is in charge.

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, Bush was the worst kind of evangelical. One who believes that God thinks he is right and an arm of Him. Instead of being about the principles, he was about the glory.

siamesedreamer said:
If it is wrong for white politicians to associate with white racists, then how is it acceptable for Obama to associate with black racists like the Rev. Wright?

teehee.

"That MLK guy? Who does he think he is? Criticizing American foreign policy and wanting better opportunities here in the US for black people. Why not want better opportunities for all people? Racist."

theBishop

Banned
Tamanon said:
Nah, Bush was the worst kind of evangelical. One who believes that God thinks he is right and an arm of Him. Instead of being about the principles, he was about the glory.

Do you really think that? When his top advisor is on record calling Christian evangelicals "nuts", I have a hard time believing he is sincere.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Instigator said:
You care enough to reply, twice.
Just make sure you correct the spelling mistake when you point it out,or I'm going to have to assume that you are also not the best speller in the world. Otay Mr.Smug?

Tamanon

Banned
theBishop said:
Do you really think that? When his top advisor is on record calling Christian evangelicals "nuts", I have a hard time believing he is sincere.

I dunno, he's said several times he went to war because God told him to, he honestly seems to me to believe he's some instrument of God's judgement.

siamesedreamer said:
If it is wrong for white politicians to associate with white racists, then how is it acceptable for Obama to associate with black racists like the Rev. Wright?

Meriam-Webster said:
The Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines racism as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular racial group, and that it is also the prejudice based on such a belief.

I'd like to see where Wright said that blacks were superior to white people please. Infact, his lingering anger (justified or not) stems from blacks still being seen as inferior.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh, and ARG, the pollsters who for some odd reason showed the two tied last week, now have a poll with Hillary and a 20-point margin. I'm honestly starting to think they don't poll people, they just follow the newscycle.:lol

gkryhewy

theBishop said:

He's in favor of ID being taught alongside evolution, and he believes in the rapture. What more do you want, a weekly telethon?

VanMardigan said:
Good piece, and it goes back to what I said like 5 pages ago. It wasn't the "bitter" part that was bothersome, it was the implication that the bitterness is why we "cling" to religion. Definitely the one time where I felt that Obama misfired. Personally, that statement bothered me a lot.

He didn't phrase it like that, nor was that his meaning. He said that people in rural areas hit the hardest by the economy turn their attention away from that important issue, and find solace in the things that can't be shipped to China - their faith, guns, etc; people become bitter when they see no change in their lives, and they become even more bitter and cynical when they hear politicians promising the same old stuff year after year, and it never comes to pass. So politicians often exploit that by portraying the opposition as the side that wants to take away their values, whether it's through homophobia or "they're gonna take your guns" scare tactics.

theBishop

Banned
gkrykewy said:
He's in favor of ID being taught alongside evolution, and he believes in the rapture. What more do you want, a weekly telethon?

I guess functionally its the same, but I don't think Bush actually believes any of it. I think he just doesn't give a shit about the country and these are the people that vote for him.

Door2Dawn said:
Just make sure you correct the spelling mistake when you point it out,or I'm going to have to assume that you are also not the best speller in the world. Otay Mr.Smug?

There you go, if you insist, I can bother to correct yours (your real errors):

Italicize/italicise

Should have taken

P.S. English is not my first language, but to see people butcher basic English, especially when I know they are native speakers, is like nails on a board.

gkryhewy

PhoenixDark said:
He didn't phrase it like that, nor was that his meaning. He said that people in rural areas hit the hardest by the economy turn their attention away from that important issue, and find solace in the things that can't be shipped to China - their faith, guns, etc; people become bitter when they see no change in their lives, and they become even more bitter and cynical when they hear politicians promising the same old stuff year after year, and it never comes to pass. So politicians often exploit that by portraying the opposition as the side that wants to take away their values, whether it's through homophobia or "they're gonna take your guns" scare tactics.

Nicely put.

Insertia

RubxQub said:
Old people need to not be allowed to make decisions.

thumbs-up.jpg

Lefty42o

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

me , agreeing with PD? never :lol

QFt.

i now feel dirty

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/media/press-releases/obama-widens-lead-clinton

Good lord, 45 to 27 now for Obama in NC. High number of undecideds, but that's still not good to be treading under 30.

BTW, at dinner last night, my stepfather revealed that he would be voting Clinton in the NC election because he got his marching orders from Rush. Not shitting you, that's actually exactly what he said.:lol
What matters is, are the undecideds mostly white or black? Because Hillary always tends to win the white vote in these racially divided southern states despite Obama always winning overall.

Edit: HUUUUGE swing in PA to hillary according to Arg:
http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/padem8-705.html

She was tied with Obama a week ago, now they have her up by 20.

maynerd

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Holy shit!

theBishop

Banned
Tamanon said:
http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/media/press-releases/obama-widens-lead-clinton

Good lord, 45 to 27 now for Obama in NC. High number of undecideds, but that's still not good to be treading under 30.

It doesn't matter. The press has already decided that Obama has to "surprise" them by winning in PA to end this thing. If he doesn't win PA, he'll have to wait for the super delegates to wake up. Actually, even if he does win PA, I doubt Clinton will pack it up.

I'm not sure what the SDs are waiting for. The margins haven't changed significantly since Feb 12, and they aren't going to change between now and August. They're just wasting time.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
-jinx- said:
The media coverage of this non-event over the weekend is starting to make me very, very, VERY angry.
apf: oh look another bitter person who's probably going to cling to guns, religion and and become a nativist now.

fake outrage is fun to watch, especially on Fox and through Clinton's transparent cries of 'elitism'. this, much like Wright, will come to haunt Obama a bit more in the GE though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PhoenixDark said:
yep.

Any negative perceptions towards obama about these remarks completely miss what he was trying to say.

He was saying that instead of addressing objective problems in society, politicians focus on personal, subjective values/beliefs such as abortion, faith, the right to bear arms, etc.

He was talking about politicians instilling fear in Americans by focusing on things like "death taxes" instead of focusing on reducing the national debt by creating a yearly surplus.

Instead of the mortgage crisis or the national debt, politicians bring up their opponents' pastors, or the fact that an anti-semite endorsed someone, or some kind of similar cherry-picked bullshit that has nothing to do with the real issues and questions that should be addressed.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Cheebs said:
What matters is, are the undecideds mostly white or black? Because Hillary always tends to win the white vote in these racially divided southern states despite Obama always winning overall.

Edit: HUUUUGE swing in PA to hillary according to Arg:
http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/padem8-705.html

She was tied with Obama a week ago, now they have her up by 20.
Where the hell is that chart....

EDIT:Obama can kiss any chance of winning PA he had goodbye with that slip up.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
That ARG poll was conducted too early to attribute the swing as a possible effect of "bittergate".
Eh? No one said its cause of bittergate. ARG says its cause Obama is overwhelming the state with ads.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, didn't he do the same thing in Texas also? I mean, I can understand a few people being annoyed at the ads, but 23% changing their vote because of it? That's a bit farfetched.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Eh? No one said its cause of bittergate. ARG says its cause Obama is overwhelming the state with ads.
No, ARG says that's what some Hillary supporters claim was the reason, which certainly doesn't sound believable. It would be interesting to know how the question was phrased, but regardless I'm certain it's nonsense.

I don't buy that poll at all. CNN had it within 4% on Friday and no matter what happens, polls don't swing THAT fast. The whole bitter-gate thing won't move the polls that much, and certainly over advertising won't either:lol

Cheebs

syllogism said:
No, ARG says that's what some Hillary supporters claim was the reason, which certainly doesn't sound believable. It would be interesting to know how the question was phrased, but regardless I'm certain it's nonsense.
Hmmm that could make sense. So you are thinking a good number of Clinton supporters would claim they don't like Obama's ads just purely because they are against Obama? I'd buy that.

Doesnt explain this wild swing then. While ARG is far from a trust pollster when they have a swing from one of their own polls a week ago it is worth raising an eyebrow over.

ToyMachine228 said:
I don't buy that poll at all. CNN had it within 4% on Friday and no matter what happens, polls don't swing THAT fast. The whole bitter-gate thing won't move the polls that much, and certainly over advertising won't either:lol
To be fair CNN said when including leaners Hillary's lead doubles to 8-9%

theBishop

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:

ToyMachine228:

Do you or do you not genuinely believe 'Bitter' permanently hurt Obama?

Answer the question. C'mon. Don't be a scaredy cat.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:
Hmmm that could make sense. So you are thinking a good number of Clinton supporters would claim they don't like Obama's ads just purely because they are against Obama? I'd buy that.

Doesnt explain this wild swing then. While ARG is far from a trust pollster when they have a swing from one of their own polls a week ago it is worth raising an eyebrow over.

To be fair CNN said when including leaners Hillary's lead doubles to 8-9%

Dude, that's pretty much all they do is swing, remember the week before it was tied, and the week before that, Clinton was up double digits. ARG is horrible. Weekly polls and only 600 people:p

Tamanon

Banned
Hillary picks up key cross-party endorsement!

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1jm.htm

MCCAIN: 'HILLARY CAN STILL PULL IT OFF';
SENATOR PREFERS CLINTON CONTEST
Mon Apr 14 2008 10:46:19 ET

**Exclusive**

Republican presidential hopeful John McCain has confided to his inner circle that Hillary Clinton may yet be the Democratic nominee, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned, a development the senator from Arizona would personally welcome!

"Look, I know something about long odds, they had me written off last summer," McCain explained over the weekend, according to a top source.

McCain would prefer to go up against Clinton in the general election, insiders reveal.

He has instructed his campaign staff to "chill out" on countering Hillary Clinton's torrent of claims and promises as primary voting comes to an end over the next 6 weeks.

McCain made the tactical decision to downplay Clinton's tale of Bosnia sniper fire, leaving some McCain staffers frustrated and perplexed.

Instead, the critical focus has been on Barack Obama. McCain's official website features 14 press releases taking on Obama since the first of the year, only 3 for the former first lady.

Developing...

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
Dude, that's pretty much all they do is swing, remember the week before it was tied, and the week before that, Clinton was up double digits. ARG is horrible. Weekly polls and only 600 people:p
Yeah. I want some post-bittergate PA polls.

Still the only good thing out of bittergate is it stops expectations from getting out of hand for Obama like they did on Super Tuesday and Ohio/Texas.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cheebs said:

Still the only good thing out of bittergate is it stops expectations from getting out of hand for Obama like they did on Super Tuesday and Ohio/Texas.
super tuesday was a disappointment for obama?
o_O

I think you mean new hampshire?

theBishop

Banned
Cheebs said:

The funny thing is that Obama came out ahead on Super Tuesday Mark II.

Cheebs

GaimeGuy said:
super tuesday was a disappointment for obama?
o_O

I think you mean new hampshire?
Don't you remember? In the days leading up to the race the media was claiming he'd win CA and Mass. and force Hillary out of the race.

theBishop said:
The funny thing is that Obama came out ahead on Super Tuesday Mark II.
No? Clinton won more delegates that day still.

theBishop

Banned
WTF... How did I miss this!?

Did PoliGAF discuss Orange Juicegate? I didn't see it. Apparently, Obama was offered coffee at a diner, and he asked for Orange Juice instead!!! Can you believe the nerve of this guy!? Who the hell does this guy think he is!? Obviously he thinks he's too good to drink coffee like the rest of us hard-working, red-blooded, Pennsylvanians.

Go Hillary! Ready to drink COFFEE on Day-One!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom