• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
PhoenixDark said:
(I'm in the library btw).

You're right. I really don't see McCain taking this state. The black vote would be huge in the cities, plus he'd mobilize a good deal of the college kids who fill the state. I think Hillary would beat McCain here too, if she were to get the nomination in a non-shady fashion.

Florida...eh. I dunno if either candidate would win that state

probably a lost cause bc their gov may be McCains veep.

Tamanon

Banned
Florida is not going Dem this year, they've been trending Republican for a while now. I'd actually wager they're approaching red state status instead of purple.

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
Florida is not going Dem this year, they've been trending Republican for a while now. I'd actually wager they're approaching red state status instead of purple.
For general elections I'd agree, but I think the Dems can pick up a few more House seats down there this year.

Tamanon said:
I dunno, this state can be pretty random when it comes to presidential politics. State level though yeah, this is Republican territory. I remember being so depressed after the 2006 mid-terms when everyone was so excited about the results only to hear any Dem I voted for soundly defeated. :(

Deus Ex Machina said:

Clinton's rebuttal

video:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/24109989#24109989

Listen to the crowd... I think she needs to leave this bittergate alone. The crowd wasn't haven't it :lol
RubxQub said:
How fucking stupid does she think American people are? Her statements in that video are crazy...

There is absolutely no way in hell anyone can listen to that and go "yep..." and nod...is there?!

IS THERE?!

What's even funnier is she was about to say in that msnbc video"

Universal Hair Care

GhaleonEB

041408DailyUpdateGraph1_b1v9n2.gif

Barack Obama, who has come under attack by his presidential rivals for describing small-town voters as "bitter," seems to be weathering the storm to this point as far as voters are concerned. He maintains a 10 percentage point lead over Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, 50% to 40%, according to the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking.

That 10-point lead matches Obama's best of the campaign, and even as the controversy has dominated the political airwaves, Obama's support remained strong in tracking interviews conducted on Saturday and Sunday. It is likely Clinton and Republican John McCain will continue to remind voters of the remarks, and the possibility remains that it could affect voters in the coming days, but so far they seem unaffected by the controversy.

Obama has now held a significant lead over Clinton in Democratic voters' nomination preferences for the last eight days, averaging roughly an 8-point lead, compared with the current 10-point spread. During this time, 50% of Democratic voters have supported him on average, matching the latest figure for interviewing conducted April 11-13. (To view the complete trend since Jan. 3, 2008, click here.)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/106504/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Numbers-Holding-Strong.aspx

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GhaleonEB said:
New all-time low for Clinton!

Everything is falling into place for...

THE EVENT

Tamanon

Banned
The good news is that Gallup even mentions that he's still going strong on Saturday and Sunday. The problem is that without a big polling shift, there's no reason for Obama to give his poverty speech.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
XxenobladerxX said:
Crisis averted?

Hopefully, I would be really sad if it had turned into a "Crisis"
America can't be that stupid.

The Bitter remark is true, and the other words could have been chosen a bit better. End of story.

What still amazes me, is both McCain and Clinton have targeted the Bitter remarks, when most people agree with that portion of the statement.

APF

Didn't Obama join Wright's church to integrate him into the community he was going to serve, and not out of religious motivation (this is my recollection)? His standing by Wright was standing by someone he's been close to for twenty years (a "uncle"), not a testament to his personal religious faith. Hillary and Bill talk about faith all the time, and it's part of her soccer-mom appeal.

GhaleonEB

FlightOfHeaven said:
Obama's been the focus of media fury after a long and painful streak on Hillary, and Hillary is the one to pay?

Ouch.
The movement of the past three days is well within the margin of error. I think it's more important that we didn't see a drop - which we DID see in the days right after the Wright issue blew up. It was an immediate and steady decline for Obama.

Tamanon said:

Our economy in Florida is a disaster. I'm hoping voters see the light and vote Democrat. If not, I'm moving.:lol

RubxQub

APF said:
Didn't Obama join Wright's church to integrate him into the community he was going to serve, and not out of religious motivation (this is my recollection)? His standing by Wright was standing by someone he's been close to for twenty years (a "uncle"), not a testament to his personal religious faith. Hillary and Bill talk about faith all the time, and it's part of her soccer-mom appeal.

Hillary said:
“This is about what people feel is being said about them. I went to church on Easter. I mean, so?”

I imagine this is what directly contradicts that. You're probably right about the Obama's church thing, but if Hillary's making statements like that, I can't imagine she'd be viewed as the more religious of the two.

Tamanon

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Our economy in Florida is a disaster. I'm hoping voters see the light and vote Democrat. If not, I'm moving.:lol

Probably won't happen until Crist wipes away all the goodwill Jeb built up. He was a damn fine governor.

GhaleonEB

pxleyes said:
Sounds great in principle...but I'm not liking the polls out of PA. Regardless of Obama's overall lead, etc... you all KNOW Clinton is going to spin even a 1 point lead in PA into being this MASSIVE achievement worthy of the nomination.
But you also know that it won't matter. See: her rousing victory on March 4th. Didn't get her any closer to the nomination (she's lost ground since then). Hillary has already said she's taking it to the convention, regardless of the result.

But more to your point, I agree national trends don't really apply to the states. But I wouldn't take today's PA poll with anything but a cubic ton of salt, given the source.

That said, I think Indiana/NC will be more impactful. Two states, and more delegates, up for grabs.

APF said:

I'd actually somewhat agree with you, especially after reading Obama's book. He mostly seems to be religious for the community outreach and social aspects rather than literally believing in any of the fantastical stuff.

Especially since his mom didn't really raise him religious at all, and he's pretty much opposite most "hardcore evangelicals" when it comes to his actual positions. I have a feeling that he knows in the back of his mind that there isn't really an invisible dude watching over the country who cares about abortion or stem cell research, lol

Obama am disguised atheist confirmed

Tamanon said:
Probably won't happen until Crist wipes away all the goodwill Jeb built up. He was a damn fine governor.

The property tax cuts has hurt a lot of schools, fire and police departments. I'm thinking of becoming a cop and a buddy of mine who's SWAT told me that there's a statewide hiring freeze due to the tax cuts. There are even schools that'll be shutting down. :lol

pxleyes

Banned
Tamanon said:
:lol If I ever see Jeb in person I would seriously contemplate punching the guy in the face.

not sure if posted yet, but some sad news has hit the internet today:

The McCain girls are a fraud!

Drum roll, please: The creators of the McCain Girls turn out to be the comedy team behind 23/6, a five-month-old Web site owned by an affiliate of IAC/InterActiveCorp that parodies the news. The site, at 236.com, uses the motto “Some of the news, most of the time.”

Indeed, the videos’ makers say they were trying to tread the line between sincerity and irony.

so very sad.

Last fall, Barack Obama quietly slipped into the Miami headquarters of a major law firm scarred by the scandals of Jack Abramoff, its once-powerful Washington lobbyist who now sits in jail.

Arriving a little after 10 a.m. on Oct. 1, Obama spent the next three hours schmoozing, speaking in a video conference to branch offices and raising money at Greenberg Traurig, a billion-dollar firm with one of the biggest lobby shops here.

Obama has now raised about $125,000 from Greenberg Traurig employees -- nearly half of it at the time of the event -- more than from any of the other top law and lobby firms.

Symbolically, it was a starkly contradictory event: an appearance by the candidate who crusades most adamantly against lobbyists at the onetime firm of the poster child for out-of-control influence peddling.

Public anger over the Abramoff lobbying scandal led Obama to institute the ban on lobbyist money in the first place, an aide said last year.

Newsday

RubxQub

siamesedreamer said:
From the same article you just posted:

Obama's invitation for the fundraiser stated he doesn't accept money from "currently registered federal lobbyists, registered foreign agents, political action committees, or minors under the age of 16."

His filings show he was true to his word, though one donor was registered as a Washington lobbyist, in 2004.

You were saying?

tanod

when is my burrito
pxleyes said:
Sounds great in principle...but I'm not liking the polls out of PA. Regardless of Obama's overall lead, etc... you all KNOW Clinton is going to spin even a 1 point lead in PA into being this MASSIVE achievement worthy of the nomination.

The problem is that they've moved the goal posts as far as they can. I think most of the media is settling on reporting that Obama is the guaranteed nominee.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RubxQub said:
From the same article you just posted:

You were saying?

:lol Seems to me the same people who throw around the "Messiah" label are the same people trying their best to point out he isn't one. It's like they're convincing themselves of something nobody asked or are simply wanting to have it both ways:

1) Messiah. lol.

2) *insert wanna-be scandal du jour*

3) omg Isn't it horrible that he's imperfect??

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
soul creator said:
I'd actually somewhat agree with you, especially after reading Obama's book. He mostly seems to be religious for the community outreach and social aspects rather than literally believing in any of the fantastical stuff.

You're basically projecting what you'd like for reality to be. His words about how Wright helped him to form a relationship with Jesus Christ contradict what you would like reality to be. I have no reason to question the actual faith Obama has in Christianity.

Clevinger

kkaabboomm said:
not sure if posted yet, but some sad news has hit the internet today:

The McCain girls are a fraud!

so very sad.

Haha, god I love Jon Benjamin/Jon Glaser/Eugene Mirman.

:lol

Some of those videos are really great, like the Huckabee Mircale one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPbbcPT4-U

And the parody of Swift Veterans For Truth with Swift Kids For Truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFOy29nNIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj9bjRixkVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7s8TuvZ8U

Futureman

syllogism said:

I like in the article it says after the crowd was jeering her...

It was only when Clinton concluded her opening remarks by attacking President Bush that she received a warm round of applause.

Uh oh, crowd's not liking me, throw some Bush-hatin' in!

I was actually there, but only saw the Obama speech because I had to leave for work. Holy cow is Obama such a great speaker. His line about Hillary taking a shot and beer and how she'll be toasting the lobbyists if she wins was ace (it's in the MSNBC video above).

Whenever he went into a short question and answer session, I moved into the center isle and was like 10 ft. away from him snapping photos. It was pretty surreal to be that close to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom