• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
Honestly, Edwards half-assedly trying to become the Al Gore of the poverty issue is kind of sickening anyway. I don't want to say "good for Obama," because the big-O should be engaging Edwards regardless, but he doesn't need him and I not only find Edwards' schtick disingenuous, I find Hillary's catering to it as though it were coming from a die-hard populist amusingly apropos. He's a fucking trial lawyer.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Edwards has always struck me as disingenuous..I never really believed that he was as passionate for his cause as he makes people believe. Maybe it was the youtube video where he obsesses over his hair for 30 min like a psycho, but hes always struck me as the oily salesman type.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This made me chuckle

Negro president by year 2000 (1965)

Leftwing political realists in both major political parties are looking eagerly beyond the era of appointment of Negroes to high federal office to the time when there will be a Negro president of the United States, a Negro on the Supreme Court, one or more in the U.S. Senate.

Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, D-N.Y., cited the trend after his brother was elected president. In an address aimed at the emerging African nations, Kennedy said; "And now we have an Irish Catholic as president of the United States. The same kind of progress can be made by U.S. Negroes."

Kennedy related the political rise of Irish American Roman Catholics in the United States to the possibilities open to American Negroes, Sen. Jacob Javits, R-N.Y., was encouraged by the 1957 (Eisenhower administration) civil rights legislation to predict that there would be a Negro cabinet member, a Negro president or a Negro vice president by the year 2000.

Writing in the magazine Esquire, Javits said that as of 1958, the immediate goal of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People was to be the election in 1960 of three Negro congressmen from Mississippi and one each from North Carolina and South Carolina. NAACP didn't make it in 1960 but has mounted a continuing campaign.

Javits wrote that he hoped and believed that U.S. Negroes would attain the suggested political heights on the basis of practical political considerations.

"Once the (civil rights) fight has won for Negroes in the South their constitutional right to vote," Javits wrote, "and once they learn to take the full responsibility of voting, this country may well witness a ballot box revolution in many southern states."

Javits believes that 30 to 40 Negroes will be elected to the 107th Congress which will convene in January, 2001. He wrote that Negro leaders had told him that it would be possible to nominate a Negro to the Supreme Court in 1968 and that there would be by then a Negro member of the U.S. Senate.

Well before 2000, Javits expects a Negro to be elected mayor in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Los Angeles. He wrote in 1958 that he expected school desegregation to be completed by 1965, Javits calculations are based on a steady increase of the Negro vote for local and federal office under protection of federal law.

Another consideration is the population shift of Negroes to the great northern and eastern cities. A result of such a shift can be seen in New York City where the Borough of Manhattan elected in 1953 and re-elected in 1957 a Negro named Hulan Jack to be borough president, Jack, in effect, is mayor of the island of Manhattan, the one the Indians sold.

By now that important job is 100 per cent segregated. New York's commitment to politics on the basis of race and religion apparently has reserved forever the Manhattan Borough presidency for a Negro.

New York politicians see no harm in that kind of segregation.

Javits estimated that by 2000 one out of four persons in New York City will be Negroes, one of three in Chicago and one of two in Los Angeles. The political impact of that would be considerable.
wht809_hh1.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Well shit :lol

On my way to class today at around 5PM, I see that there are like 30 cop cars around looking like they are getting ready to create a barricade. Didn't bother to ask any of the cops what was up.

Turns out Bill Clinton was giving a speech couple miles from my house at the East Portland Community Center. Too bad I had class and did not know about this earlier, otherwise I would have tried to attend to hear President Bill Clinton speak. Although I think he gave the speech to some 150 senior citizens so I would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

syllogism

Rasmussen PA polls have favored Obama but still:

RASMUSSEN POLL: Clinton Lead Shrinking in PA; Clinton 47% Obama 42%... Developing...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
are these the same type of polling that showed Obama pulled even in MA and NJ right before Super Tuesday?

syllogism

scorcho said:
are these the same type of polling that showed Obama pulled even in MA and NJ right before Super Tuesday?
What are you suggesting exactly? That once a mistake is made the pollster will never be reliable again? Not that I believe Obama will do any better than in Ohio, but at least the margin probably isn't ~20% anymore.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/03/pollster-ratings-updated.html

Anyway, I don't know about NJ, but Rasmussen had Clinton up outside the margin of error in MA.

So what was the final outcome of the Texas stuff? Did Obama net any more delegates?

If Obama can keep his loss to single digits that will bode well for him. I'm thinking Hillary will probably take PA by 12 points though. And no, I have nothing to back up that prediction.

This liberal voting record thing could sting a bit though. Obama's camp needs to come up with a definite answer to this one quick. If his views changed over time, then he should come out and say that. If not, they need to own up to it and offer a good response. At the end of the day though if its simply pandering its no worse than what Hillary's been doing or John "I'll say anything to seem conservative" McCain. It would tarnish his image but to what degree, I'm not sure.

Also, Obama's always getting caught with bad off the cuff remarks. Of course we know the context and understand what he means but the media loves soundbites and they'll replay those things for hours on end to stir up some controversy. I'm sure Obama's latest "poor choice of wording" talking about abortion will be all over talk radio today.

syllogism

maximum360 said:
So what was the final outcome of the Texas stuff? Did Obama net any more delegates?
The likely outcome is a 37-30 split for Obama meaning overall +3 in Texas. Initial projection was 38-29, so I guess you could say he lost 2.

syllogism said:
The likely outcome is a 37-30 split for Obama meaning overall +3 in Texas. Initial projection was 38-29, so I guess you could say he lost 2.

:(

Sounds like the Clinton bots were partially successful. I don't mind losses when things are fair, but shady dealings like this continue to give an unfavorable image of Hillary's candidacy. (I'm not saying her camp would directly endorse what has been going on in Texas but I'm sure they won't come out to condemn it either.)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
maximum360 said:
:(

Sounds like the Clinton bots were partially successful. I don't mind losses when things are fair, but shady dealings like this continue to give an unfavorable image of Hillary's candidacy. (I'm not saying her camp would directly endorse what has been going on in Texas but I'm sure they won't come out to condemn it either.)
i'm sure this jockeying happens on both sides. there's really nothing to condemn.

AniHawk

syllogism said:
Rasmussen PA polls have favored Obama but still:

RASMUSSEN POLL: Clinton Lead Shrinking in PA; Clinton 47% Obama 42%... Developing...

Holy crap. That's a helluva gap he closed. It was 10 points a week ago (again using Rasmussen), and 15 points about a week before that.

syllogism

scorcho said:
i'm sure this jockeying happens on both sides. there's really nothing to condemn.
I don't think the "shift" happened due to "jockeying" (all we had was projections anyway), but from all the reports it was pretty clear it was the Clinton camp that encouraged and conducted these endless credentials challenges that were the reason most conventions took hours longer than they should have. One even lasted for 20 hours. But Clinton camp is the one that wants all the votes to counted right.

Cheebs

SUSA is releasing a new PA poll either today or tomorrow. And as we all know in this thread, they are the gold standard. We'll see if this Ras. is a real trend with that poll.

even Obama closes in on her lead in PA, the media is going to make it seem as if a Clinton victory will be a huge comeback for her even if she won by single digits. Stoopid media :-/

Smiles and Cries said:
How relevant is McCain right now? I just have not heard much media buzz around him lately

bubububu the extended democratic primary is helping him!

He's received absolutely no coverage while the media focuses on Sniper-Gate and Obama. Even his foreign policy speech, which was supposed to be importantly apparently, was ignored. The last time I heard any McCain news was when ESPN reported the NFL season would kickoff on September 4th....90 minutes before McCain is supposed to accept the party nomination at the Republican convention lol

v1cious

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
even Obama closes in on her lead in PA, the media is going to make it seem as if a Clinton victory will be a huge comeback for her even if she won by single digits. Stoopid media :-/

the media already expects her to win, so the big story, would be about how much Obama shrunk her lead.

PhoenixDark said:
Yeah! I'm laughing out loud and stuff at these ridiculous claims that drawing out the election process until August could possibly hurt the party. I mean, our candidates are in the news! Any exposure is good exposure. Who cares that every other day it's some story that puts each candidate in a bad light? We get to see them so that we can remember who to vote for come November if, instead of names, they put pictures of candidates on the ballots. Who can remember what old man McCain looks like? Is he still in this race?

And lord knows that the democrats are a lock this November! Even they couldn't screw this up! It's just so awesome that we get to continue to speculate about who are candidate is going to be our nominee for four more months. It's going to be awesome.

PhoenixDark said:

He's received absolutely no coverage while the media focuses on Sniper-Gate and Obama. Even his foreign policy speech, which was supposed to be importantly apparently, was ignored. The last time I heard any McCain news was when ESPN reported the NFL season would kickoff on September 4th....90 minutes before McCain is supposed to accept the party nomination at the Republican convention lol

He really has to do something soon, I bet he can't wait for a clear winner on the dems side

Steve Youngblood said:
Yeah! I'm laughing out loud and stuff at these ridiculous claims that drawing out the election process until August could possibly hurt the party. I mean, our candidates are in the news! Any exposure is good exposure. Who cares that every other day it's some story that puts each candidate in a bad light? We get to see them so that we can remember who to vote for come November if, instead of names, they put pictures of candidates on the ballots. Who can remember what old man McCain looks like? Is he still in this race?

And lord knows that the democrats are a lock this November! Even they couldn't screw this up! It's just so awesome that we get to continue to speculate about who are candidate is going to be our nominee for four more months. It's going to be awesome.

This is going to be over after the first week of June. And once it is over, the party will in line with the nominee. Dean isn't going to let Hillary drag this to the convention

gcubed

PhoenixDark said:
This is going to be over after the first week of June. And once it is over, the party will in line with the nominee. Dean isn't going to let Hillary drag this to the convention

nope he wont. If PA is a single digit win and NC goes with how its polling, its over after that.

gcubed said:
nope he wont. If PA is a single digit win and NC goes with how its polling, its over after that.

PA won't be a single digit win, and she'll do well in Indiana imo. Obama isn't going to close her out; he's shown an inability to end this himself on multiple occasions, therefore Dean is going to step in. We'll start seeing big super delegate migrations in that first week of June according to various reports.

Smiles and Cries said:
He really has to do something soon, I bet he can't wait for a clear winner on the dems side

The one downside to the Dems always being in the news is that the media will do their best to outdo each other by trying to dig up as much dirt and information to incur wild speculation on their stances on various issues. McCain on the other hand gets the Chelsea Clinton free pass.

Seeing McCain and Obama in a future debate would be very "interesting". Obama would take ten minutes to make a point that could be done in 30 seconds while McCain naps periodically through talking points.

Cheebs

gcubed said:
i didnt mean he'd close her out, i meant that either Dean or a mass movement of supers would end it.
Dean won't pull the trigger on the Clintons till June though. Dean WILL give Clinton the knock out punch if Obama is unable to do it himself, but he won't do it before June.

If both candidates would stop going negative, then this would be good. The daily sniping isn't helping anyone though. Shit like this,

huffpopoliticsheadlines said:
Clinton Today: Obama Campaign Wants People To Stop Voting
Obama Sunday: Clinton Should Keep Running

How is that crap helping anyone?

Bad news out of Indiana, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=ad.x9sdAW1Tw&refer=home

though no polling data, which is a little weird, just anecdotal stuff. There seems to be a lack of actual polling from indiana, for at least a month.

Cheebs said:
Dean won't pull the trigger on the Clintons till June though. Dean WILL give Clinton the knock out punch if Obama is unable to do it himself, but he won't do it before June.

Hillary is so fucked. Even if this got to the convention Dean would royally fuck her
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9298.html

Waiting until June will at least ensure that calls of sexism and "undemocratic practices" will be met with silence. Seems like the most powerful players are in Obama's corner and want this to end, and the longer Hillary holds out the bigger the embarrassment will be. She has every right to participate in the rest of the primaries and see if she can get the popular vote, but right now it seems like she's done. She pissed off the wrong people

Cheebs

PhoenixDark said:
Waiting until June will at least ensure that calls of sexism and "undemocratic practices" will be met with silence.

Which is why I feel Dean is staying hush hush despite the fact he obviously plans to help this go Obama's way. They'll open the floodgates in June if Hillary hasn't pulled out.

BUT none of them want to be seen as forcing her out unwillingly when states are left.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
PA won't be a single digit win, and she'll do well in Indiana imo. Obama isn't going to close her out; he's shown an inability to end this himself on multiple occasions, therefore Dean is going to step in. We'll start seeing big super delegate migrations in that first week of June according to various reports.

Why do people always say this? It's not like he can strong arm the voters to vote for him. There just happens to be Hillary oriented states when she needs them the most.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
PhoenixDark said:
you havent been right once during primary season, what makes you think you will be right here?

I wish these political threads could be split in two:

1) News and updates

2) Opinions (ie endless arguing)

I always stop in here to find the day's updates and news but NOOOO, you guys are always fucking bickering about retarded speculation. fuck

As a person who attended a Texas state senate convention as a delegate (posted my story earlier...) I can attest to the fact that a LOT of shennanigans were taking place -- by both sides. The credentials committee nonsense was just pure mindnumbingly stupid shit in a lot of cases. I mean, cases that should have breezed through the process in seconds were taking hours. Although our credentials committee was evenly stacked between the Obama and Hillary contingent, it was still quite the experience.

Cheebs

Schattenjagger said:
you havent been right once during primary season, what makes you think you will be right here?
Huh? He got March 4th primaries all dead on when like no one else here did.

harSon

Banned
Cheebs said:
Huh? He got March 4th primaries all dead on when like no one else here did.

He's basically chosen a single candidate throughout this elections entirety, you're bound to get some predictions right with a 50/50 chance... However, his predictions leading up to March 5th were absolute shit.

GhaleonEB

Looks like Obama crossed the magic number in Mississippi after all.

The final tally is:

Obama - 265,502
Clinton - 159,221

That gives Obama a heads-up 62.512% victory, which WILL switch another state-wide at-large delegate to him (there are 4 statewide pledged PLEO's in Mississippi, so 62.5% is the tipping point for them to break 3-1 instead of 2-2).

Net net? Now Mississippi broke 20-13.

On another note, Obama's margin of victory in Mississippi no longer "almost eclipsed" Hillary's primary margin in Texas - it completely surpassed it. To all you popular vote total affecianadoes, the hill just got a little steeper.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5330945

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom