• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
It's just incredibly stupid, especially since McCain has been quick to make those "Those who make light of war and death are fools" remarks. It's like he actually wants to kill all Iranians.

With the Iran missile test news.

OOH! A HELPFUL CHART ON IRAN-US RELATIONS!

Lame but expected development, Obama has to live in the Land of Chocolate so during his interviews this morning he has to ratchet up the hype saying Iran is a serious threat. Can't have any qualifications or the retards jump on it and it spreads to the retards with college degrees.

219qxhu.jpg

I guessed before I saw this that we could destroy Iran with whatever carriers we got in the area.

I was watching a show on History about the aircraft dogfights in Desert Storm. We either blow them out of the sky before they even see us or one dude got outmaneuvered and ate sand with his MIG when he try to hang.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
none of the political rhetoric on Iran matches reality - none of it. war hawks and ideologues on the right are happy to pray on a clueless American public that actually believes Iran to have a formidable military (not), economy (not), a suicidal will to destroy Israel (not) and a Hitler-esque leader who controls everything (not).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Wednesday said Iran is a "great threat" and called for tighter sanctions after it test-fired nine missiles.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN0935786320080709

That just went over the wire this morning, but of course Sen. Obama also said Iran is "not a threat" a few months ago during the primaries. After Iran's revolutionary government destroyed the Carter presidency and branded the Democrats as weak and ineffective executives who lost a lot of national elections, I would think the Democrats in the foreign policy establishment would be especially sensitive to looking weak against Iran if they take power in Jan.

Tamanon

Banned
It's their internet polling group, not really reliable.

And Obama said that Iran wasn't a threat compared to the Soviet Union in the cold war days, and we handled that one without overt violence. He has constantly talked about the Iran threat, just that he's open to diplomacy unlike some people.

Now Obama says he publicly regrets doing the Access Hollywood interview? Why???

I didn't see anything wrong with it. The major news organizations are just jealous they didn't get the scoop. Now Obama is making a much bigger issue than it needed to be.

*sigh*

The Chosen One said:
Now Obama says he publicly regrets doing the Access Hollywood interview? Why???

I didn't see anything wrong with it. The major news organizations are just jealous they didn't get the scoop. Now Obama is making a much bigger issue than it needed to be.

*sigh*

I think people are scuttlebutting that he's using his kids to skirt the recent dustups in the campaign. I don't think that was his motivation, but that's the chatter.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25600445/

The interview, conducted by Maria Menounos, prompted criticism of the candidate, who had said that he wanted to keep his family life private, but now seemed to be using his family to advance his candidacy.

Good job there. Can we not call out McCain who claimed he won't use his military service to advance his candidacy but in every ad seems to do so?

I think it was a good thing to dispel some of the claims that the Obamas' are "un-american". It's shameless that the media is going after him about this.

Cheebs

Zogby polling is shit, remember his polling for California and Pennsylvania? Obama will win, but Zogby is going to vastly over predict Obama like always.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Zogby polling is shit, remember his polling for California and Pennsylvania? Obama will win, but Zogby is going to vastly over predict Obama like always.
Every single pollster this cycle has blown some states. Zogby nailed their fair share. That said, I recall Zogby online polls really do suck ass, and this looks like one.

Guileless said:
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Wednesday said Iran is a "great threat" and called for tighter sanctions after it test-fired nine missiles.

That just went over the wire this morning, but of course Sen. Obama also said Iran is "not a threat" a few months ago during the primaries. After Iran's revolutionary government destroyed the Carter presidency and branded the Democrats as weak and ineffective executives who lost a lot of national elections, I would think the Democrats in the foreign policy establishment would be especially sensitive to looking weak against Iran if they take power in Jan.
Or they could just illegally sell them weapons like any good Republican!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guileless said:

That just went over the wire this morning, but of course Sen. Obama also said Iran is "not a threat" a few months ago during the primaries.

Obama during Primaries said:
They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us and yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying we're going wipe you off the planet.

So what does he do today, Mr. Flip Flopper? Call them a "great threat", totally not contradicting his previous statement, and ask for more diplomacy, or exactly what he said all along:

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama called Iran a threat that should be contained with diplomacy and tighter sanctions on Wednesday, and Republican John McCain said Tehran's missile test proved the need for a missile defense shield in Europe.

But I can see your confusion on the use of the word "threat", Guileless. Obama should have added at "But Iran is still a threat, make no mistake." at the end of that quote I posted though this is more or less acknowledged by what he's actually saying.

Cheebs

Incognito said:
Zogby online polling correctly predicted 17 out of 18 Senate races in 2006.
A week before the 2004 election ZOgby polling had Kerry winning a significant amount of states, over 300 electoral votes iirc.

Cheebs

Incognito said:
That wasn't online polling, though.
Wouldnt online be less accurate since a lot of conservative leaning old people dont use the internet? I dont know how their online polling works so I dont want to make a claim about how it functions.

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
McCains inability to wow a crowd is something that is given far less attention than warranted. Big excited crowds arent some democrat only thing. Bush in 2004 was able to fill football stadiums and get a crowd roaring and cheering.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Tamanon said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/34djw44.jpg[IMG]

FEEL IT![/QUOTE]
:lol

Although this picture does show McCain gaining amongst the Amish demographic. BEWARE

Cheebs said:
Wouldnt online be less accurate since a lot of conservative leaning old people dont use the internet? I dont know how their online polling works so I dont want to make a claim about how it functions.

Historically, their online polling outfit has been pretty shit. 2006 seems to be the aberration. FWIW, I don't buy these numbers for one second -- but they're still interesting to look at.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So how many people think this Iran shooting missiles thing will help McCain this week?

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, I don't think it'll help either guy. Just like Israel's test runs didn't. I think people are starting to come around to the fact that there's no good guy over there.

mckmas8808 said:
So how many people think this Iran shooting missiles thing will help McCain this week?

The fact that the Iraq government called for a pull-out should counter this.

Me personally, I'm so sick of this imperialist, sensationalist, bullshit from the west. The people of that nation have a right to test their fucking weapons. I don't give a fuck what the second-in-command says about Israel. People act like only certain nations should be allowed to have a military!

ViperVisor said:
It's like they enjoy the taste of bullshit and when they don't get enough from McCain they shove a colonic in any hole they can in anything Obama says or does and suck as hard and long as it takes to get more shit in their stomach.

It's not like Maria is worse than the lame brains that populate cable news.
anchor_article_maria.jpg

What's your most memorable Channel One moment so far?
I would have to say the opportunity to interview the President of the United States is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Let's make it 2 for 2.

She's awesome, fuck the MSM, the MSM is doing everything they can to keep this election close.

I really wonder what the media wants from these kids. My guess? They probably want to paint them as "Angry Black Children"......:D

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:
none of the political rhetoric on Iran matches reality - none of it. war hawks and ideologues on the right are happy to pray on a clueless American public that actually believes Iran to have a formidable military (not), economy (not), a suicidal will to destroy Israel (not) and a Hitler-esque leader who controls everything (not).

Don't forget a monolithic ideology that puts them complete, harmonious agreement with all the Bad Muslims (Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Sadr) and none of the Good Muslims (the Supreme Council, the Gulf states).

Tamanon

Banned
I still love that Muslims are such a threat that we went and shattered a big secular government over there for some reason.

Liara T'Soni said:
The fact that the Iraq government called for a pull-out should counter this.

Me personally, I'm so sick of this imperialist, sensationalist, bullshit from the west. The people of that nation have a right to test their fucking weapons. I don't give a fuck what the second-in-command says about Israel. People act like only certain nations should be allowed to have a military!

9780805086713.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Semantics aside, I don't see how comparisons to the Soviet Union are a good way to think about this. Nothing is as threatening as a superpower with the world's largest military and nuclear arsenal organized around fighting the United States and its allies. Doesn't that just go without saying? What does that have to do with trying to prevent proliferation to non-nuclear states in 2008?

Tamanon

Banned
Guileless said:
Semantics aside, I don't see how comparisons to the Soviet Union are a good way to think about this. Nothing is as threatening as a superpower with the world's largest military and nuclear arsenal organized around fighting the United States and its allies. Doesn't that just go without saying? What does that have to do with trying to prevent proliferation to non-nuclear states in 2008?

You're being pretty obtuse here. He was comparing them to the Soviet Union because for some reason the current policy has ruled out diplomacy as a method of neutralizing the "threat". And yet, the Soviet Union posed a MUCH greater threat and we still went through with diplomacy and it worked. Don't be a moron.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
You're being pretty obtuse here. He was comparing them to the Soviet Union because for some reason the current policy has ruled out diplomacy as a method of neutralizing the "threat". And yet, the Soviet Union posed a MUCH greater threat and we still went through with diplomacy and it worked. Don't be a moron.
Precisely. With all the bluster about how Iran might obtain nuclear weapons, remember that the Soviet Union had the capacity to nuke the entire planet severe times over. And we still sat down with them. This does not mean Iran is not a threat, it means we should use all of the tools available in dealing with them, including direct diplomacy. Which is what Obama has been saying all along. It's not complex.

Unrelated - Obama just tripled his paid staff in Missouri.

http://www.kansascity.com/775/story/697394.html

How much would Barack Obama love to win Missouri?

Let us count the staffers… 148, 149, yes, 150 …

The Democrat’s campaign said Tuesday it is tripling its paid staff — to an unprecedented 150 workers, who will fan out from 30 field offices across the state, from West Plains to Maryville.

“It’s unheard of,” veteran Democratic worker Woody Overton of Kansas City said of the effort and expenditure.

“It’s unbelievable.”

“Desperate” is the adjective John McCain’s camp uses.

“When you feel like you have to put that many people in the state to cover it, means you think you’re in trouble and you have to have a surge,” said Jack Jackson, McCain’s Missouri co-chairman.

Recent polls indicate the race in Missouri is close.

McCain’s operation expects to have 12 to 14 full-time workers and 10 offices. The Arizona Republican now has four people on the ground.

The Obama camp said it already has 50.

The Illinois senator’s deep pockets, resulting from millions of small contributors, gives him the chance to organize in ways and places that no Democrat has before, experts say.

Sen. John Kerry’s 2004 Missouri campaign had around 15 offices and 80 full-time workers, who ultimately were dispatched to other states deemed more competitive weeks before Election Day. President Bush had 50 staffers and about the same number of offices as Kerry.
His ground game in that state is going to be huuuuuge.

The Democrat’s campaign said Tuesday it is tripling its paid staff — to an unprecedented 150 workers, who will fan out from 30 field offices across the state, from West Plains to Maryville.

“It’s unheard of,” veteran Democratic worker Woody Overton of Kansas City said of the effort and expenditure.

“It’s unbelievable.”

“Desperate” is the adjective John McCain’s camp uses.

“When you feel like you have to put that many people in the state to cover it, means you think you’re in trouble and you have to have a surge,” said Jack Jackson, McCain’s Missouri co-chairman.
Desperate would be if this was Massachusetts. This is Missouri, a very red state . . . this is optimistic.

Cheebs said:
McCains inability to wow a crowd is something that is given far less attention than warranted. Big excited crowds arent some democrat only thing. Bush in 2004 was able to fill football stadiums and get a crowd roaring and cheering.

Seems like an irrelevant point. The people McCain attracts actually vote on a consistent basis, which is all that matters

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Obama Campaign said:
"These missile tests demonstrate once again that we need to change our policy to deal aggressively with the threat posed by the Iranian regime. Through its nuclear program, missile capability, meddling in Iraq, support for terrorism, and threats against Israel, Iran now poses the greatest strategic challenge to the United States in the region in a generation. Now is the time to work with our friends and allies, and to pursue direct and aggressive diplomacy with the Iranian regime backed by tougher unilateral and multilateral sanctions. It's time to offer the Iranians a clear choice between increased costs for continuing their troubling behavior, and concrete incentives that would come if they change course.

"As these tests have reaffirmed, the threat from Iran's nuclear program is real and it is grave. As President, I will do everything in my power to eliminate that threat, and that must begin with direct, aggressive, and sustained diplomacy."

McCain's camp has an official response as well.

GhaleonEB said:
Precisely. With all the bluster about how Iran might obtain nuclear weapons, remember that the Soviet Union had the capacity to nuke the entire planet severe times over. And we still sat down with them. This does not mean Iran is not a threat, it means we should use all of the tools available in dealing with them, including direct diplomacy. Which is what Obama has been saying all along. It's not complex.

Unrelated - Obama just tripled his paid staff in Missouri.

http://www.kansascity.com/775/story/697394.html

His ground game in that state is going to be huuuuuge.

I think the neocon argument, the one Guileless keeps repeating topics after topics, is that Iran is still not a nuclear power and can be bullied into submission, just like weak 2003 Iraq was. Why negotiate and lose something in the process when you can win it all? Neocons figure they can take that gamble and probably believe they can make other countries fall into line rather than encourage them to force America to the negotiation table for concessions.

The Soviet Union presented a scenario where it could not be bullied so there was no choice but negotiation and/or a long cold war of attrition.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
it's stupid. considering the military games Israel played before, i don't buy the argument of Iran's missile test as any more threatening. Israel and the US are allowed to saber rattle, but god forbid the country we're threatening decides to assert its right to defend itself. if we really, truly want to ratchet down tensions then end the speculative chatter on pre-emptive strikes and start/continue back-channel dialog with the Supreme Leader and his subordinates.

that won't happen though. the only thing we're interested in is in maintaining Israel's nuclear hegemony in the Middle East at all cost.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
PhoenixDark said:
Seems like an irrelevant point. The people McCain attracts actually vote on a consistent basis, which is all that matters
So you don't think their turnout will be affected by candidate enthusiasm? Keep dreaming.

TDG

Banned
ralexand said:
So you don't think their turnout will be affected by candidate enthusiasm? Keep dreaming.
I don't. Young people can go to rallies and scream their lungs out for Obama, but if they forget to vote in November, or lose interest (as so many usually do), it doesn't matter how loud they were at that rally. And it doesn't matter if McCain's supporters are sleepy old people, as long as they show up and vote for him, that's all that matters.

scorcho said:
it's stupid. considering the military games Israel played before, i don't buy the argument of Iran's missile test as any more threatening. Israel and the US are allowed to saber rattle, but god forbid the country we're threatening decides to assert its right to defend itself. if we really, truly want to ratchet down tensions then end the speculative chatter on pre-emptive strikes and start/continue back-channel dialog with the Supreme Leader and his subordinates.

that won't happen though. the only thing we're interested in is in maintaining Israel's nuclear hegemony in the Middle East at all cost.

why do you hate america and jewish people, and why do you sympathize with terrorists?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
American policy towards Iran boils down to picking a strategic goal. Does the US want

1) to change the behavior of Iran, so it stops pursuing nuclear weapons and sponsoring groups like Hezbollah?

or

2) to change the regime in Iran?

You can't have both. If Iran thinks the US is out to install a new Iranian government, the current regime will pursue as many possible deterrents as it can, including nuclear weapons and proxy forces that could cause pain to Israel or to US forces in Iraq.

A sane diplomatic approach towards goal 1 would mean giving Iran security guarantees, withdrawing US support and tolerance for groups like the MEK, Pejak, and Jundallah, and allowing Iran to join the multilateral institutions that would integrate it further into the world economy.

You can't really expect a country to disarm while you work to topple it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom