• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
The carbon footprint of the batteries currently used in electrics is horrifying.
But in comparison to all the gasoline that will not be used if the cars run on electric?

I am curious to learn more . . . any links would be appreciated.

I've gotta say, I'm sorta amazed by this Pickensplan . . . perhaps the old coot actually did have a change of heart and is actually trying to pull a 'Perot' and help the country? (Not by running for office but by making a particular issue important . . . this time oil imports instead of defict.)

Edit: I think this Pickens plan is thread-worthy.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hootie said:
Maddow again? What's happening with Olbermann?

Looks like she's wearing his suit, too. That thing is fitted for a 6'5 man.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I just watched the Pickens plan... I think it makes alot of sense as a short term gap. Throw in some biofuels and increases in other resources and I think it could work as a stop gap solution.

Last I checked, Natural Gas is in even shorter supply than oil*. That's a short term plan if there ever was one. :lol

*except in Russia. Siberia has a lot of it.

Elfforkusu said:
Last I checked, Natural Gas is in even shorter supply than oil*. That's a short term plan if there ever was one. :lol
*except in Russia. Siberia has a lot of it.
Another reason why I'd rather go electric for cars.

Iran also has lots of natural gas . . . another country that we don't really want to be dependent on. (And this is also the reason why people constantly question their need for a nuke plant.)

Just wanted to say how glad I am to see that the Obama campaign is looking to put Georgia into play. Between focusing a lot of resources there, and the small number of votes that Bob Barr can take from McCain there (Once polled to be around 8% of the Republican vote there), Obama just might be able to pull it off. Would be amazing, and I'm looking forward to it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
thegreyfox said:
Pickens has a lot of money invested in Nat Gas and Wind power.

So you can say it's %50 change of heart and %50 change of cash.

No doubt, this is a business decision, but after watching the CBS News interview, there is definitely a change in the message.

ToyMachine228 said:
Just wanted to say how glad I am to see that the Obama campaign is looking to put Georgia into play. Between focusing a lot of resources there, and the small number of votes that Bob Barr can take from McCain there (Once polled to be around 8% of the Republican vote there), Obama just might be able to pull it off. Would be amazing, and I'm looking forward to it.
That liberal talk screamer Mike Malloy is based in Georgia, right? Perhaps he can get movement going.

reilo

Karl Rove is going to ignore the subpeona served to him by the House Judiciary Committee.

reilo said:
Karl Rove is going to ignore the subpeona served to him by the House Judiciary Committee.
Sent the Sargeant at Arms!

I want to see Rove locked in the basement of Congress. :lol

Some action like that which hasn't happened for decades would be awesome.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
reilo said:
rove_arrested.jpg

**Another conspiracy theory**

Sometimes I wonder if Karl Rove's mission in life has been to screw over the entire world. He's got a fat pudgy body & bald head with the face of a baby, his mom committed suicide and his dad was gay . . . maybe he had such deep anger toward everyone that he hatched a plan to get back at everyone. First he would champion a conservative and take-over the whitehouse. He would then alienate every liberal in the USA with wars, pollution, and destroying the reputation of America.

But then he would simultaneously orchestrate the great fall of the conservative GOP . . . with massive deficits and fiscal policies so inept that he would destroy the GOP and its leader with an approval rating in the 20s.

Naw . . . I don't believe it. But it is amazing how much damage the guy has wrought to everyone.

Hootie

speculawyer said:
**Another conspiracy theory**

Sometimes I wonder if Karl Rove's mission in life has been to screw over the entire world. He's got a fat pudgy body & bald head with the face of a baby, his mom committed suicide and his dad was gay . . . maybe he had such deep anger toward everyone that he hatched a plan to get back at everyone. First he would champion a conservative and take-over the whitehouse. He would then alienate every liberal in the USA with wars, pollution, and destroying the reputation of America.

But then he would simultaneously orchestrate the great fall of the conservative GOP . . . with massive deficits and fiscal policies so inept that he would destroy the GOP and its leader with an approval rating in the 20s.

Naw . . . I don't believe it. But it is amazing how much damage the guy has wrought to everyone.

At this point, I wouldn't be suprised in the least if this was completely true.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
grandjedi6 said:
NeoGAF vs random Dailykos blogger :lol
Holy hell.

Where have you been Jedi? I feel like I haven't seen a post of yours in a month.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RubxQub said:
Holy hell.

Where have you been Jedi? I feel like I haven't seen a post of yours in a month.
probably because I haven't posted much in the last month :lol Summer time generally means I'm either working outdoors or camping, both of which do not lend well to internet time :p

Fatalah

I just got a dumbass chainletter e-mail from a dumbass friend that showed a dog p*ssing on an Obama lawn sign. The copy says something about how dogs have a "sixth sense for bad things to come".

Can the sender give me any legitimate reason as to why Obama is a bad candidate? NO.

Just send out a photoshop image of a dog pissing to your friends. It's crap like this that worries me, people are idiots.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Fatalah said:
I just got a dumbass chainletter e-mail from a dumbass friend that showed a dog p*ssing on an Obama lawn sign. The copy says something about how dogs have a "sixth sense for bad things to come".

Can the sender give me any legitimate reason as to why Obama is a bad candidate? NO.

Just send out a photoshop image of a dog pissing to your friends. It's crap like this that worries me, people are idiots.

Send him a photoshop of McCain and his wife superimposed over 2girls1cup.

and say "Shit doesnt just come out of his mouth"

GhaleonEB

Fatalah said:

You can thank the AP for that one.

Banned
Fatalah said:

Thank you for that thrilling story

I used to think the majority of people were alright, just trying to get by and live happily with their families. Now I know their just idiots

Fatalah said:

I get those all the time at work. I wouldn't worry at all about them. The only people who would put any stock into those are people who are already firmly implanted in their political ideologies (i.e. the people I work with who thought that very email you were talking about was hilarious -- they're all conservatives). It's not like anybody sitting on the fence is going to think "well, I was thinking about voting Obama until I saw that dog email."

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Fatalah said:

haha, I got that one too a few days ago :lol

But who cares? It's just a stupid chain letter. Talking about it only helps it succeed.
GhaleonEB said:
You can thank the AP for that one.
nah, this chain letter has been going around for the last week

Fatalah

Steve Youngblood said:
I get those all the time at work. I wouldn't worry at all about them. The only people who would put any stock into those are people who are already firmly implanted in their political ideologies (i.e. the people I work with who thought that very email you were talking about was hilarious -- they're all conservatives). It's not like anybody sitting on the fence is going to think "well, I was thinking about voting Obama until I saw that dog email."

Thanks for calming me down man, you really helped me.

Luckily I didn't hit Reply All while I was angry-- I only replied back to my friend with a story about how McCain doesn't have a technology policy and how he barely knows how to use a mouse. My friend's in the tech industry, so I wanted to zing him.

My other option was to do that 1cup photoshop mentioned.....But I suppose my way was more civil. Haha

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA speaks at a town-hall today in Powder Springs, GA, returns to D. C.

capt.8b311a5b992742f7b74a1584250ad52e.obama_2008_gajh123.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, watches as he is introduced at a town hall-style meeting in Powder Springs, Ga., Tuesday, July 8, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

2008_07_08t103617_450x348_us_usa_politics_obama_economy.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama speaks during a town hall meeting at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia, July 8, 2008. (Tami Chappell/Reuters)

r4139272777.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL), (L), speaks to Edith Page-Gude (R), as she asks a question during a town hall meeting at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia, July 8, 2008. REUTERS/Tami Chappell

capt.f0a5f5b44bde467598df2ef7af561a1d.obama_2008_gajh119.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, right, greets supporters after a town hall-style meeting in Powder Springs, Ga., Tuesday, July 8, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.be619a49269148209694574f3e795bf2.obama_2008_gajh114.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, center, greets supporters after a town hall-style meeting in Powder Springs, Ga., Tuesday, July 8, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.8f352a704ab74b339c77e72c8e4f4c59.obama_2008_gajh121.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, shakes hands with supporters through a backstage curtain after a town hall-style meeting in Powder Springs, Ga., Tuesday, July 8, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.b1be5d43410942729e4f785d846548e9.obama_2008_gajh115.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, center, greets supporters after a town hall-style meeting in Powder Springs, Ga., Tuesday, July 8, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.ba677b6d994941a2b6b00608643d4e22.obama_2008_dcjh101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, center, arrives at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, Tuesday, July 8, 2008. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Fair and Balanced

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama says John McCain's plan to balance the budget doesn't add up. Easy for him to say: It's not a goal he's even trying to reach.
ADVERTISEMENT

Not only does Obama say he won't eliminate the deficit in his first term, as McCain aims to do, he frankly says he's not sure he'd bring it down at all in four years, considering his own spending plans.

"I do not make a promise that we can reduce it by 2013 because I think it is important for us to make some critical investments right now in America's families," Obama told reporters this week when asked if he'd match McCain's pledge.

So what is more important in tough economic times? For the government to spend more to help hard-hit Americans or to eliminate a deficit that can lead to higher borrowing costs and slow the economy?

I swear, the liberal media really bends over backward for their candidates!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was going to make up some comparable quote criticizing Obama for not trying, but there's really no way to top the original.

Sometimes I wish liberals had their own Fox News. I really hate how my mom only watches Fox News and then gets all these ideas in her head about Obama that are absolutely not true.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hitokage said:
I was going to make up some comparable quote criticizing Obama for not trying, but there's really no way to top the original.

jonah-jameson.jpg

"Muck raking Neo-GAF Mod can't criticize candidate articulately, rests on laurels of others."

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
Fair and Balanced

That's part three in a series, really.

Part 1

Is Barack Obama close to being shadowed by giant flip-flops and, worse, having the image stick with people all the way to the voting booth?

Reminds me of the Daily Show's bit on the question mark that Fox likes to use.

Part 2

U.S. presidential candidates historically steer to the political middle once nominated, but Democrat Barack Obama's unabashed appeal to centrist American voters has further opened the door to Republican claims his message of change only applies to the positions he has taken in the past.

reilo

What's worse is that most of the stuff the rightwingers are proclaiming as flip-flops really aren't.

But yet, the media, gleefully and willingly chooses to ignore everything and any of the bullshit McCain has not flip-flopped on, but fucking backflipped on.

I'm always curious why the Democratic nominee is always scrutinized as if they were the spawn of satan by the media. There is no logical reasoning behind any of this.

It's hilarious how all the other media organizations are bashing Access Hollywood because they got the Obama family exclusive. :lol Jealous just a wee bit?

ralexand said:
Can't believe McCain joked about hoping Iranians die. So stupid. I wonder if there is a video.

I didn't hear anything about this today and watched all the political shows this afternoon. I only heard about it as an off-hand comment from one of the CNN guests.

If Obama said something like this it would be a screaming headline across all the networks.

reilo said:
What's worse is that most of the stuff the rightwingers are proclaiming as flip-flops really aren't.

But yet, the media, gleefully and willingly chooses to ignore everything and any of the bullshit McCain has not flip-flopped on, but fucking backflipped on.

I'm always curious why the Democratic nominee is always scrutinized as if they were the spawn of satan by the media. There is no logical reasoning behind any of this.

It's like they enjoy the taste of bullshit and when they don't get enough from McCain they shove a colonic in any hole they can in anything Obama says or does and suck as hard and long as it takes to get more shit in their stomach.

The Chosen One said:
It's hilarious how all the other media organizations are bashing Access Hollywood because they got the Obama family exclusive. :lol Jealous just a wee bit?

It's not like Maria is worse than the lame brains that populate cable news.
anchor_article_maria.jpg

What's your most memorable Channel One moment so far?
I would have to say the opportunity to interview the President of the United States is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Let's make it 2 for 2.

NewLib

Banned
speculawyer said:
WHat? Is this something new? Not just the old "bomb bomb bomb . . . bomb bomb Iran" song?

He joked based on the report that American export of cigarettes has increased to Iran. I really dont think its that big of a deal. I thought the same thing when I saw it and probably would have told the same joke.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
NewLib said:
He joked based on the report that American export of cigarettes has increased to Iran. I really dont think its that big of a deal. I thought the same thing when I saw it and probably would have told the same joke.
Not if you are running for president to replace a president who has been brain dead when it comes to foreign policy.

ViperVisor said:
It's not like Maria is worse than the lame brains that populate cable news.

Seriously... it's funny how some news organizations were complaining that the questions weren't hard hitting enough. What exactly are you suppose to ask a 10 and 6 year old? Their thoughts on climate change or Social Security? Or ask when was the last time daddy Obama whupped their ass? Was Maria suppose to make the kids cry? The other news organizations are being really petty with their criticisms.

Incognito said:
Fair and Balanced

A little digging on the author of this "article" is very interesting, at least if Ms. Nedra Pickler's wikipedia page is halfway accurate:

Pickler married Eric Conner, who works for Fox News, on November 24, 2007. [6] She first met him in 2006 while on a trip to Mexico covering President George W. Bush.
Pickler was promoted to cover national political issues for the AP in December 2002, and was the lead reporter covering Democrats in the 2004 United States Presidential Election. In her coverage of the 2004 presidential race, Pickler drew criticism for her treatment of Democratic candidates, including Howard Dean [8] and John Kerry.
n covering the 2008 election, Pickler again came under scrutiny for her coverage of the Democratic candidates, particularly Barack Obama. A March 27, 2007 article written by Pickler entitled "Is Obama All Style and Little Substance?" was criticized for its false claim that Obama had "delivered no policy speeches and provided few details about how he would lead the country" in his campaign up to that point.[11] The progressive media watchdog group Media Matters for America countered by pointing out that Obama had given numerous policy speeches on Iraq,[12] Israel,[13] health care,[14] and other topics.[15] In February 2008, Pickler again came under criticism after she wrote an article in which she detailed Republican charges that questioned Obama's patriotism. Her main source was Roger Stone, a Republican consultant already notorious in the 2008 election for founding a non-profit organization named CUNT (Citizens United Not Timid) in order to "educate the American people about what Hillary Clinton really is."[16]. The article drew approximately 15,000 letters of complaint[17] directed to the AP and media outlets carrying Pickler's article in a matter of days.

Her reporting was largely responsible for feeding the controversy surrounding Obama advisor Austan Goolsbee's meeting with the Canadian consulate,[18] as she broke the story on a memo suggesting that Goolsbee had reassured the Canadian government that Barack Obama's stance on NAFTA was "more about political positioning than a clear articulation of policy plans".

On 18 April 2008, she produced a story on the Democratic candidates in which the first sentence was: "Democratic presidential rivals Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama are complaining about which candidate is the biggest complainer."[19]

On July 8, 2008 A Pickler "analysis" was criticized by Media Matters for America and Talking Points Memo. The article uncritically echoed erroneous claims from a McCain press release and accused Obama of "not even trying" to balance the Federal budget.

Looks like Fox News has successfully planted a mole in the AP.

reilo

KilledByBill said:
A little digging on the author of this "article" is very interesting, at least if Ms. Nedra Pickler's wikipedia page is halfway accurate:

Looks like Fox News has successfully planted a mole in the AP.

Her main source was Roger Stone, a Republican consultant already notorious in the 2008 election for founding a non-profit organization named CUNT (Citizens United Not Timid)

NO

WAY

Let me spell this out for you again:

C
U
N
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom