• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
reilo said:
Will I get banned for insulting Larry Madill?

After all, me being the 13-year old college educated nerd that does nothing but argue about X360 versus PS3 that lives out in some basement and in no way pays for his own stuff feels a bit insulted.

Hey, Larry, word of advice: How about you actually read these PoliGAF threads, and you might actually come away with an opinion that completely, and utterly contradicts that idiotic smear piece you wrote, yea?
Whoever that idiot was, he probably doesn't even read the OT. Gaming sider ftl.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Who is this old moron on MSNBC proclaiming that the people saying that Obama has been saying the same thing now he said a year ago are making "revisionist history"?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
reilo said:
Who is this old moron on MSNBC proclaiming that the people saying that Obama has been saying the same thing now he said a year ago are making "revisionist history"?

Obama blamed criticism from "my friends on the left" and "some of the media" in part on cynicism that ascribes political motives for every move candidates make. "You're not going to agree with me on 100 percent of what I think, but don't assume that if I don't agree with you on something that it must be because I'm doing that politically," he said. "I may just disagree with you."

The FISA thing sucks donkey balls but that's as far as my beef goes. Nice that he considers me a friend though.

GhaleonEB

Remember yesterday, when McCain promised to balance the budget in his first term? Nevermind. And for good measure, he's never promised to do so in his first term. So there.

The McCain campaign appears to be unable to decide when he'll succeed in balancing the budget. Is he promising a balanced budget by the end of his first term -- partly contingent on a sudden victory in Iraq -- or by the end of his second term?

As Think Progress pointed out, McCain economic adviser Doug Holtz-Eakin told the New York Times yesterday that McCain would balance the budget by the end of his first term. But during a conference call with reporters yesterday, Holtz-Eakin suddenly walked it back significantly.

Not only that, but he walked it back in a way that made it seem like this was always McCain's position, and not a flip-flop: "The senator has always pledged to balance the budget by the end of his second term."

Late Update: This isn't the first time McCain has gone back and forth on this one, either. As the New York Times noted, McCain promised back in February to balance the budget during his first term, but then changed it to the second term in April.
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/mccain_will_balance_budget_by.php

ZealousD said:
McCain considers you a friend too.
For some reason, I want him to refer to us as his pancakes.

GhaleonEB said:
Remember yesterday, when McCain promised to balance the budget in his first term? Nevermind. And for good measure, he's never promised to do so in his first term. So there.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/mccain_will_balance_budget_by.php

I honestly think at this point, the RNC has realized that perception is reality. If he says he never said it, then those people watching only that will believe him. The rest who knows he HAS said it, probably won't vote for him anyway. It's bringing "truthiness" to the next level.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GhaleonEB said:

"My pancakes, that's not change you can believe in! heheheeheheehe"

reilo

Wow.

Cheney deleted findings in EPA reports about climate change.

Why am I not fucking surprised?

reilo

He literally redacted 5-6 pages about EPA findings that proclaim that climate change directly affects the populace's health.

worldrunover said:
I honestly think at this point, the RNC has realized that perception is reality. If he says he never said it, then those people watching only that will believe him. The rest who knows he HAS said it, probably won't vote for him anyway. It's bringing "truthiness" to the next level.
I want to see someone clip together a commercial with a string of several "I never said that" followed by the quote of him saying it.

reilo said:
He literally redacted 5-6 pages about EPA findings that proclaim that climate change directly affects the populace's health.
It is the Cheney placebo healthcare plan . . . if you don't tell them it may hurt their health then maybe it won't.

GhaleonEB

reilo said:
My god. This administration is literally taking notes from The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29189

onion_news1523.jpg

New Study Too Frightening To Release

PALO ALTO, CA–Researchers at Stanford University are refusing to release a comprehensive three-year interdisciplinary study on the grounds that the results are "too terrifying to reveal to the public at large," sources close to the project announced Monday.

Dr. Desmond Oerter breaks down while discussing his terrifying, never-to-be-released study.

"In light of their profoundly disturbing nature, we have decided that it is in the best interest of public safety to withhold the results our study," said Dr. Desmond Oerter, head of the Stanford team. "So soul-shaking are the conclusions we have drawn, they would, if released, result in no less than the total breakdown of societal order, including the abandonment of the current political and economic system, rioting, looting, mass suicide and even, quite possibly, global thermonuclear war."

"I beg the forgiveness of God for unleashing this hellish study upon humanity," added Oerter, dropping to his knees. "I am death, destroyer of worlds."

Oerter then produced a pair of ballpoint pens and plunged them into his eye sockets. Moments later, he drove the imbedded pens deep into his brain by slamming his face repeatedly against the lectern, killing himself within seconds.

At a press conference later that afternoon, Stanford president Gerhard Casper assured members of the general public that steps are being taken to prevent the release of what is being called "The Study Which Must Not Be Named."

"All primary data gathered in the study have been destroyed, as have all research materials used by those involved," Casper said. "The world must never know what was learned here."

Flo_Evans

I just wonder if Obama does win, will he restore the balance to the executive/legislative/judicial, or just run with it and use the extra power to do what he wants?

Triumph

Banned
reilo said:
*shrugs*

At this point, for most of America to really give a shit about anything this Administration has done, one of 'em would have to:

A) Get caught fucking a live boy or dead girl
B) Publicly take a shit on the American flag
C) Eat a baby on live television, preferably a minority

GhaleonEB said:
My god. This administration is literally taking notes from The Onion.
Ah . . . an excuse to post the scariest Onion article of all-time . . . just read this and be amazed:
Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'
January 17, 2001 | Issue 37•01

WASHINGTON, DC–Mere days from assuming the presidency and closing the door on eight years of Bill Clinton, president-elect George W. Bush assured the nation in a televised address Tuesday that "our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over."

"My fellow Americans," Bush said, "at long last, we have reached the end of the dark period in American history that will come to be known as the Clinton Era, eight long years characterized by unprecedented economic expansion, a sharp decrease in crime, and sustained peace overseas. The time has come to put all of that behind us."

Bush swore to do "everything in [his] power" to undo the damage wrought by Clinton's two terms in office, including selling off the national parks to developers, going into massive debt to develop expensive and impractical weapons technologies, and passing sweeping budget cuts that drive the mentally ill out of hospitals and onto the street.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

"You better believe we're going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration," said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. "Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?"

On the economic side, Bush vowed to bring back economic stagnation by implementing substantial tax cuts, which would lead to a recession, which would necessitate a tax hike, which would lead to a drop in consumer spending, which would lead to layoffs, which would deepen the recession even further.

Wall Street responded strongly to the Bush speech, with the Dow Jones industrial fluctuating wildly before closing at an 18-month low. The NASDAQ composite index, rattled by a gloomy outlook for tech stocks in 2001, also fell sharply, losing 4.4 percent of its total value between 3 p.m. and the closing bell.

Asked for comment about the cooling technology sector, Bush said: "That's hardly my area of expertise."

Turning to the subject of the environment, Bush said he will do whatever it takes to undo the tremendous damage not done by the Clinton Administration to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He assured citizens that he will follow through on his campaign promise to open the 1.5 million acre refuge's coastal plain to oil drilling. As a sign of his commitment to bringing about a change in the environment, he pointed to his choice of Gale Norton for Secretary of the Interior. Norton, Bush noted, has "extensive experience" fighting environmental causes, working as a lobbyist for lead-paint manufacturers and as an attorney for loggers and miners, in addition to suing the EPA to overturn clean-air standards.

Bush had equally high praise for Attorney General nominee John Ashcroft, whom he praised as "a tireless champion in the battle to protect a woman's right to give birth."

"Soon, with John Ashcroft's help, we will move out of the Dark Ages and into a more enlightened time when a woman will be free to think long and hard before trying to fight her way past throngs of protesters blocking her entrance to an abortion clinic," Bush said. "We as a nation can look forward to lots and lots of babies."

The speech was met with overwhelming approval from Republican leaders.

"Finally, the horrific misrule of the Democrats has been brought to a close," House Majority Leader Dennis Hastert (R-IL) told reporters. "Under Bush, we can all look forward to military aggression, deregulation of dangerous, greedy industries, and the defunding of vital domestic social-service programs upon which millions depend. Mercifully, we can now say goodbye to the awful nightmare that was Clinton's America."

"For years, I tirelessly preached the message that Clinton must be stopped," conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said. "And yet, in 1996, the American public failed to heed my urgent warnings, re-electing Clinton despite the fact that the nation was prosperous and at peace under his regime. But now, thank God, that's all done with. Once again, we will enjoy mounting debt, jingoism, nuclear paranoia, mass deficit, and a massive military build-up."

An overwhelming 49.9 percent of Americans responded enthusiastically to the Bush speech.

"After eight years of relatively sane fiscal policy under the Democrats, we have reached a point where, just a few weeks ago, President Clinton said that the national debt could be paid off by as early as 2012," Rahway, NJ, machinist and father of three Bud Crandall said. "That's not the kind of world I want my children to grow up in."

"You have no idea what it's like to be black and enfranchised," said Marlon Hastings, one of thousands of Miami-Dade County residents whose votes were not counted in the 2000 presidential election. "George W. Bush understands the pain of enfranchisement, and ever since Election Day, he has fought tirelessly to make sure it never happens to my people again."

Bush concluded his speech on a note of healing and redemption.

"We as a people must stand united, banding together to tear this nation in two," Bush said. "Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent. And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it."

"The insanity is over," Bush said. "After a long, dark night of peace and stability, the sun is finally rising again over America. We look forward to a bright new dawn not seen since the glory days of my dad."
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28784

Triumph said:
*shrugs*
At this point, for most of America to really give a shit about anything this Administration has done, one of 'em would have to:
A) Get caught fucking a live boy or dead girl
B) Publicly take a shit on the American flag
C) Eat a baby on live television, preferably a minority
Yeah . . . totally amazing things are revealed and it gets ignored. Such as the fact that the Bush administration totally lied about not knowing about a major Bush supporter signing an exclusive oil deal with the Kurds in a manner that harmed our efforts in Iraq.

People just expect corruption out of the Bush administration at this point.

Triumph

Banned

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The Iraqi's requiring a timeline would be a huge hit for McCain.. if it was the most important issue, but since the economy is, who knows what will happen.

Outrageous thing for Cheney to do. A former Bush aide and adviser was fired for doing the same thing. Well, resigned once it was revealed I believe. I forget his name, but Gore details it in An Inconvenient Truth. Ridiculous. Fuck Cheney seriously.

And also, anyone else see that the Obama campaign is setting up Shape The Agenda meetings in July? That's awesome. I love the idea and going to see if we can get one going in my county.

reilo

What's sad is that no network is even running with this story. The Obama girl video of the "Soldier Boy" remix got more airtime than this.

This is so disgusting.

As much as people hate the over-the-top vigor by Olbermann and Maher, but at least they talk about this shit and tell you why it is bad.

Everyone else just ignores it like it's not a big deal.

reilo

:lol

Mathews is grilling this guy from Vets for Freedom.

"You are not here to deal with the facts."

"Answer the question Pete, over the next 4-8 years if the Iraqi government wants us to leave, what does it mean to succeed?"

reilo

artredis1980 said:
Gaf!!! Quick, this is my first trip in 14 days to this thread, please give me a summary, and dont give me any Osama is a Muslim summary

But he is...!

artredis1980 said:
Gaf!!! Quick, this is my first trip in 14 days to this thread, please give me a summary, and dont give me any Osama is a Muslim summary
Obama leads by a small margin. He's been tacking toward the center and being cautious. McCain is largely failing to get traction with anything and has reshuffled his campaign a bit. That's about it.

reilo

Always ironic hearing a McCain supporter [and former strategist at that] proclaim that Obama is this huge, raging, flip-flopper.

And here I thought 2004 politics were over, but I guess the GOP will do anything and everything they need to.

:lol

Mathews talking about Howard Wolfson joining Fox.

"It reminds me of a movie, called, Howards End."

reilo

The GOP convention and McCain's acceptance speech for the nomination is the first day of the NFL season. Nice planning there, guys!

reilo said:
The GOP convention and McCain's acceptance speech for the nomination is the first day of the NFL season. Nice planning there, guys!

They moved up the Skins/Giants game because of it. The game starts at 7 now, so it should be over by the time McCain speaks (I think).

Triumph

Banned
reilo said:
Actually, that was Howard Dean's doing. He got the slot before that so the GOP is screwed over. More reason to love the guy.

GhaleonEB

worldrunover said:
They moved up the Skins/Giants game because of it. The game starts at 7 now, so it should be over by the time McCain speaks (I think).
It's going to be fun to compare the ratings each speech gets. I have a feeling a whole lot more people are going to watch Obama's.

reilo

GhaleonEB said:
It's going to be fun to compare the ratings each speech gets. I have a feeling a whole lot more people are going to watch Obama's.

I think more people will watch SportsCenter on September 4th than the GOP convention.

StoOgE said:
T Boone Pickens is fucking McCain right in the ass with 50 million dollars. I love it.
Wat? Link?

I heard Pickens talking about his big wind energy plan. On NPR, he said that we lacked the leadership to get us off oil. Then my head almost exploded while I realized this was the same guy that funded the Swift Boat Vets for 'Truth'.

Has the guy really had a near-death change of heart?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
speculawyer said:
Wat? Link?

I heard Pickens talking about his big wind energy plan. On NPR, he said that we lacked the leadership to get us off oil. Then my head almost exploded while I realized this was the same guy that funded the Swift Boat Vets for 'Truth'.

Has the guy really had a near-death change of heart?

No, he just owns a giant wind farm and plans to make millions on it. His entire ad is "Oil sucks, we're fucked total, drillng wont solve a thing, spend money on alternatives" and he is spending 50 million dollars to promote it.

reilo

Harold Ford Jr. mentioning Pickens, too.

Democrats have a 55,000+ voter lead in Nevada.

StoOgE

reilo said:
Harold Ford Jr. mentioning Pickens, too.

Oh yeah, this is a giant talking point now. This is one of the biggest US oil men now saying "we cant drill any more". The Dems are going to run that sound bite for the next 4 months till you hear it in your sleep.

GhaleonEB

reilo said:
Democrats have a 55,000+ voter lead in Nevada.
I think Nevada is nearly a lock for Obama now. To put the numbers into context:

In 2004, Bush beat Kerry in Nevada by three points:

Bush 418,690
Kerry 397,190

At the time, Republicans held a one-point advantage in voter registration in the state. Today, Democrats have opened up a 5-point advantage, and it's growing.

According to the secretary of state's office, 55,560 more Democrats than Republicans are on the active voter rolls in Nevada, as of the end of June. The gap widened from 50,020 in May and represents 5 percent of the 1,031,984 active voters [...]

"That's a 6-point shift in just one presidential cycle," [Kirsten Searer, deputy executive director of the Nevada Democratic Party] said. "I think it's fair to say this is a trend at this point. It's very good news for Democrats up and down the ballot, from Assembly and Senate all the way to Congress."
I suspect a simiar trend is going on in other states.

StoOgE said:
No, he just owns a giant wind farm and plans to make millions on it. His entire ad is "Oil sucks, we're fucked total, drillng wont solve a thing, spend money on alternatives" and he is spending 50 million dollars to promote it.
Well . . . I don't know if it is just to make money. He is 80 and has already billions. And what is the point of the PR campaign? That doesn't help him make money.

But it is bizarre how he funded the Swift Boat smear to keep the oil men in office (Bush/Cheney) . . . and now he is on some alternative energy jihad.

StoOgE

speculawyer said:
Well . . . I don't know if it is just to make money. He is 80 and has already billions. And what is the point of the PR campaign? That doesn't help him make money.

But it is bizarre how he funded the Swift Boat smear to keep the oil men in office (Bush/Cheney) . . . and now he is on some alternative energy jihad.

Curious bedfellows.

reilo

The carbon footprint of the batteries currently used in electrics is horrifying.

Gaborn

GhaleonEB said:
I think Nevada is nearly a lock for Obama now. To put the numbers into context:

I suspect a simiar trend is going on in other states.

The thing is, looking at past elections a lot, lot, lot can happen between now and election day. I think a lot of Obama supporters are being very positive, and with good reason, this is a year the Democrats SHOULD dominate, but all it takes is one scandal and the race can be totally thrown in a different direction so it's probably a good idea for everyone on every side to kind of just realize it's only June, VPs haven't been picked, we haven't had our first general election debate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom