• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRS7

Tyrone Slothrop said:
man this election is so in the bag. i don't care what any polls say. we all know who our next president will be

I wish I had you confidence in my fellow citizens. Unfortunately after talking to my neighbors I think this will be much harder than you think. The Republicans have done a good job so far in portraying Obama as an American hating radical. Many people believe this. A vast majority think that the media is heavily biased in Obama's favor. Rather this is true or not it will impact perception of coverage. But the truth is this election is about Obama. No one is really voting for McCain. People are voting for or against Obama. I have no problems with those who have legitimate policy reasons not to vote for Obama, it just annoys me when the reasons they give or either completely false or blatantly racist. My hope is that he anti-Obama vote gets split up between McCain, Barr, and Nader and that will be enough to insure victory in November.

tanod

when is my burrito
Tamanon said:
Rasmussen also said there was a big bounce in the overnights. Shockingly they said that 50% of the people surveyed actually saw or read the speech.

I credit the sound bite-yness of the speech.

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm optimistic about Obama, but I think it's a little early to write off the election in November as a forgone conclusion.

definitley

but media gushing aside, obama is a phenomenon that rivals JFK. this may even be bigger. i sort of get the sense, watching mccain and his surrogates on conferences, that they know its pretty much time for things to go left, and in a very big way. of course they'll put up a hell of a fight and they could very well put a dent in this thing. but... those kind of victories are relegated to Rocky movies rather than reality :p

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA arrives in Paris, meets with French President Nicholas Sarkozy

2008_07_25t104349_450x302_us_usa_obama_germany_cnbc.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) steps off his campaign plane as he arrives in Paris July 25, 2008. (Jim Young/Reuters)

capt.ee4b726e9d6141ababc6458091bf0cf5.france_obama_2008_frah111.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., 2nd left, greets with French President Nicolas Sarkozy, left, in Paris, Friday, July 25, 2008. Friday was France's turn to greet Barack Obama, but instead of a rousing speech before thousands of fans at a historic site, the Democratic candidate was stopping by just long enough to chat with the French president.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

capt.1973ad4324744772971e04026c72c72c.france_obama_2008_frah108.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, talks with French president Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris, Friday, July 25, 2008. Friday was France's turn to greet Barack Obama, but instead of a rousing speech before thousands of fans at a historic site, the Democratic candidate was stopping by just long enough to chat with the French president.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

r344086877.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)(L) arrives for a joint press conference with French President Nicolas Sarkozy at Elysee Palace in Paris, July 25, 2008.
REUTERS/Jim Young

capt.9a0eec45bebb42d89696521f96291291.france_obama_2008_frah118.jpg

Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, is seen with French president Nicolas Sarkozy, right, during a news conference in Paris, Friday, July 25, 2008.
(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Tyrone Slothrop said:
definitley

but media gushing aside, obama is a phenomenon that rivals JFK. this may even be bigger. i sort of get the sense, watching mccain and his surrogates on conferences, that they know its pretty much time for things to go left, and in a very big way. of course they'll put up a hell of a fight and they could very well put a dent in this thing. but... those kind of victories are relegated to Rocky movies rather than reality :p

This is what worries me if McCain somehow does win. If he wins, you can kiss another worthy Democratic president goodbye for a long time.

When Applesauce Attacks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayO4pc8S_A

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stum...in-scenes-from-a-bethlehem-grocery-store.aspx

McCain: Scenes from a Bethlehem Supermarket

When John McCain descended on a Bethlehem, Penn. grocery store late yesterday afternoon, the unscheduled campaign stop, meant to highlight McCain's concern over skyrocketing food prices, instead quickly became a theater for the absurd. First, a cameraman knocked over several glass jars of Mott's applesauce, which rolled near McCain's feet as he posed for a bevy of cameras while strolling the grocery aisles. Then, the senator's hastily assembled press conference, held in front of a perishable food case labeled "Dairy Delights," was interrupted by the scream of the store's P.A. system announcing a staffer had a phone call. Finally, there was the fact that Renee Gould, the young mother McCain had an extended chat with about the high price of tomatoes and milk, was not a random shopper, but an area resident funneled to the campaign by the local Republican Party. Gould's admission (a reporter cornered her and asked how she came to be there) was ultimately not all that surprising. Even with the amusing mishaps, the entire event came off as canned, and McCain—whose discomfort with the phoniness required by politics has always been evident—spent most of his time shifting uncomfortably.

Still, McCain did what he could to stick to his message, reading from a note card in his hand as he told reporters gathered for the dairy aisle press conference that, "Among other challenges that American families face: The price of a gallon of milk just went over $4 a gallon." McCain, who has tried to focus more on domestic issues recently, also lamented that high oil prices are trickling down to other sectors of the economy and driving up the cost of food. But the senator's effort to set a tone for the press conference was ignored by members of the press, who were not interested in discussing food prices. Instead, reporters hammered McCain on recent foreign policy gaffes; his feelings about the intense attention being paid to Barack Obama's foreign trip; policy toward Israel; and his vice presidential search. (When pressed on the last point, McCain allowed that top contenders Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, are "the future of the Republican party, the next generation of leadership").

After the press conference, McCain made his way back to the front of the store, where Gould was unloading her groceries with the help of her husband and two young daughters. The senator stood awkwardly next to her and again tried to make stilted small talk about the high price of food. Gould coyly asked, "You're going to be my bagger?" McCain didn't, in fact, bag and seemed to be searching for conversation topics, even as he looked into a field of cameras. Gould's bill came to $105, which she noted is more than she used to pay.

McCain was a hit with the crowd, but the stampeding media was not. Most in the crowd seemed to take the side of the stern campaign staffers demanding reporters stay at least six feet from the senator. "They're rude," one woman could be heard saying about the reporters, who were camped out with boom mikes and note pads fighting for prime real estate with a view of McCain. Other shoppers were merely dumbfounded to show up for groceries mid-afternoon and find a presidential candidate on the stump with a full entourage of cameras. "It's kind of weird with all this media here," said Amber Huff, 23, looking around in a daze. But Huff had a camera of her own and documented the moment by taking a photo of McCain with her hot pink cell phone. Shoppers in Kalamazoo, Toledo and Reno take note—campaign staffers say they plan to start making many more such stops in the near future.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
of course they'll put up a hell of a fight and they could very well put a dent in this thing. but... those kind of victories are relegated to Rocky movies rather than reality :p
I understand what you're saying. I just think it's a grave mistake to underestimate the power of negative campaigning, and the GOP's ability to wield it effectively.

GhaleonEB

maximum360 said:
Still, McCain did what he could to stick to his message, reading from a note card in his hand as he told reporters gathered for the dairy aisle press conference that, "Among other challenges that American families face: The price of a gallon of milk just went over $4 a gallon."

After the press conference, McCain made his way back to the front of the store, where Gould was unloading her groceries with the help of her husband and two young daughters. The senator stood awkwardly next to her and again tried to make stilted small talk about the high price of food. Gould coyly asked, "You're going to be my bagger?" McCain didn't, in fact, bag and seemed to be searching for conversation topics, even as he looked into a field of cameras. Gould's bill came to $105, which she noted is more than she used to pay.
Wow. That sounds really awkward. Nice counter-programming. I hope he continues to run behind Obama, shouting, "Look at me! Look at ME!" for the rest of the campaign. :lol

Bishman

Poli-GAF I'm debating with my friend how McCain doesn't have a chance electoral wise. Can someone post an electoral map how it would look this November.

KRS7 said:
I wish I had you confidence in my fellow citizens. Unfortunately after talking to my neighbors I think this will be much harder than you think. The Republicans have done a good job so far in portraying Obama as an American hating radical. Many people believe this. A vast majority think that the media is heavily biased in Obama's favor. Rather this is true or not it will impact perception of coverage. But the truth is this election is about Obama. No one is really voting for McCain. People are voting for or against Obama. I have no problems with those who have legitimate policy reasons not to vote for Obama, it just annoys me when the reasons they give or either completely false or blatantly racist. My hope is that he anti-Obama vote gets split up between McCain, Barr, and Nader and that will be enough to insure victory in November.

Same here man. Barack is running a magnficent campaign. But I can't underestimate the idiocy of the American people and the Republican's ability to scare up votes.

Bishman said:
Poli-GAF I'm debating with my friend how McCain doesn't have a chance electoral wise. Can someone post an electoral map how it would look this November.
I don't know if this is a debate worth having, as it's very premature. Although I'm sure someone will be happy to post up projections based on polling data for you.

Obama will win every Kerry state, he will probably pick up Ohio, Iowa, Colorado and New Mexico atleast. They will ensure he gets over 270. But on election day I suspect he will go a lot further.

Steve Youngblood said:
I don't know if this is a debate worth having, as it's very premature. Although I'm sure someone will be happy to post up projections based on polling data for you.
The easier argument to prove is 'which one would make a better president?'

The Lamonster said:
The easier argument to prove is 'which one would make a better president?'
Even that's not an easy argument. If we're talking about two moderates having a discussion, then perhaps you can have an honest debate. But if you're talking about a debate between staunch supporters of either party, then it unfortunately will boil down to a tedious exercise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

This picture is amazing.

Look at Sarkozy. He's fucking ECSTATIC. Maybe he thinks Obama's popularity in France will rub off on him.

Bishman

Steve Youngblood said:
Even that's not an easy argument. If we're talking about two moderates having a discussion, then perhaps you can have an honest debate. But if you're talking about a debate between staunch supporters of either party, then it unfortunately will boil down to a tedious exercise.
Thank you. That is not an easy argument at all. I just make my points and leave it like that. You can sway die hard supporters.

maynerd said:
Ya? Like what?

he's made comments that are critical of the US Government and also had a pastor that criticized the US government (in a more flamboyant, "angry" way). Oh, and some 60's radical now lives in the same city as Obama, and they've actually been in the same room as each other. Oh yeah, Louis Farrakhan once said he liked Obama, which obviously means that Obama is just as anti-semitic as Farrakhan is reported to be! Even though they have no special relationship beyond that. Farrakhan's supposedly an angry guy as well.

yeah.

ZealousD said:
This picture is amazing.

Look at Sarkozy. He's fucking ECSTATIC. Maybe he thinks Obama's popularity in France will rub off on him.
Well, of course the French love him. They're freedom-hating cowards. Obama is in good company there, am I right people!?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ZealousD said:

This picture is amazing.

Looks like Sackozy is more happy to see Obama than the other way around. Man Obama isn't even President yet!

So Gallup is showing a 6 point lead, why is David Schuster (sp?) still pushing that Obama has a 2 point lead despite Obama's overseas tour?

Macam

Banned
JayDubya said:
Really? Gosh, thanks. You've really peaked my interest here, do you have any more tips, or would you like to segway into another topic?

I didn't get the joke and I certainly wasn't going to address your questions since, as I noted before, I have no interest in discussing issues with a brick wall. You're outright dogmatic in your positions, so what's the point?

Mumbei said:
Piqued.

(sorry please don't kill me)

He also used 'segway' instead of 'segue', but who knows, those mistakes may be some sort of pseudo-libertarian humor.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
maximum360 said:
So Gallup is showing a 6 point lead, why is David Schuster (sp?) still pushing that Obama has a 2 point lead despite Obama's overseas tour?

The NARRATIVE!! The MSM is full of assholes.

maximum360 said:
You didn't get the memo? The overseas tour has been a complete failure. All it's done is show that being popular around the world is no way to win good, red-blooded Americans over. Who cares that hundreds of thousands of Germans were elated to see him? They're not voting!

Clearly, Obama is out of touch with the issues that are affecting those of us here in the USofA, and is already setting his sites on being king of the world. His hubris will be his downfall.

I saw CNN is also plugging that BS NewsBusters type story about Obama not making a visit to the troop hospital in Germany.

Old bald boy Bill summarizes it and the Obama response and points out he would get criticized either way. Wolf has to interject it what talk radio rejects are saying cause he has to fill another segment with this crap.

ViperVisor said:
I saw CNN is also plugging that BS NewsBusters type story about Obama not making a visit to the troop hospital in Germany.

Old bald boy Bill summarizes it and the Obama response and points out he would get criticized either way. Wolf has to interject it what talk radio rejects are saying cause he has to fill another segment with this crap.
Will the press ever get tired of swooning over Obama? If they like him so much, why don't they just marry him?

JayDubya

Banned
Macam said:
I didn't get the joke and I certainly wasn't going to address your questions since, as I noted before, I have no interest in discussing issues with a brick wall. You're outright dogmatic in your positions, so what's the point?

Aaaaand that's different from talking to say, you, how?

He also used 'segway' instead of 'segue', but who knows, those mistakes may be some sort of pseudo-libertarian humor.

Wow, I make a joke you don't get and suddenly it's "pseudo-libertarian humor." :lol

Well, Thunder thought it was funny anyway.

Blitzer is the worst. He was practically lapping up everything McCain said and afterwards wanted to highlight the controversy about Obama not being able to see the troops. Also, he made it a point to stress that Obama had time to go to the gym but not see the troops. Good shilling Wolf. I hate how tabloid the media has begun.

I need to go buy the winning lottery ticket and just roll out.

Door2Dawn said:
Who cares,seriously.
America cares, and so does John McCain. He's out there in the trenches everyday fighting for you and I, one incoherent narrative at a time while his opponent is out there trying to be a political rock star.

JayDubya said:
Aaaaand that's different from talking to say, you, how?

Wow, I make a joke you don't get and suddenly it's "pseudo-libertarian humor." :lol

Well, Thunder thought it was funny anyway.
I also think Vaseline is funny though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Chris Matthews just basically got Scott McClellan to say that the White House used Fox News as a mouthpiece :lol :lol :lol

mckmas8808 said:
Interesting that I haven't actually heard this on the cable TV shows.

Gallup had a couple polls out 2 days ago that shows that Obama has gained ground in red, blue, and purple states since June.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/109036/obama-gains-over-mcCain-swing-states-since-june.aspx

Again I wonder why nobody seemed to talk about these polls?
These polls are boring. I'm conducting my own poll which I think will shed some light on how Americans regard Obama:

"On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being 'he's not a fan of American values,' and 10 being 'he will hand over this country to the terrorists immediately after being sworn into the office,' how unpatriotic do you think Barack Obama is?"

APF

Steve Youngblood said:
Will the press ever get tired of swooning over Obama? If they like him so much, why don't they just marry him?

<<
But nobody in the German press appears to have been quite as smitten by their visitor as Bild reporter Judith Bonesky, who had the opportunity to work out with Obama in the gym of the Ritz Carlton Hotel earlier in the day.

"Obama (with toned arms and a strong back) puts on his headphones for his iPod to listen to pop music. He hums quietly. Then he jumps on a fitness bike. He pushes three times on the pedals -- but then can't be bothered with it.

"He picks up a pair of 16 kilo weights and starts curling them with his left and right arms, 30 repetitions on each side. Then, amazingly, he picks up the 32 kilo weights! Very slowly he lifts them, first 10 curls with his right, then 10 with his left.

Quickly I ask: "Mr. Obama, could I take a photo?". "Of course!" he answers, before asking my name and coming over to stand next to me. "My name's Judith" I reply. "I'm Barack Obama, nice to meet you!" he says, and puts his arm across my shoulder. I put my arm around his hip -- wow, he didn't even sweat! WHAT A MAN!"
>>

via

APF said:
<<
But nobody in the German press appears to have been quite as smitten by their visitor as Bild reporter Judith Bonesky, who had the opportunity to work out with Obama in the gym of the Ritz Carlton Hotel earlier in the day.

"Obama (with toned arms and a strong back) puts on his headphones for his iPod to listen to pop music. He hums quietly. Then he jumps on a fitness bike. He pushes three times on the pedals -- but then can't be bothered with it.

"He picks up a pair of 16 kilo weights and starts curling them with his left and right arms, 30 repetitions on each side. Then, amazingly, he picks up the 32 kilo weights! Very slowly he lifts them, first 10 curls with his right, then 10 with his left.

Quickly I ask: "Mr. Obama, could I take a photo?". "Of course!" he answers, before asking my name and coming over to stand next to me. "My name's Judith" I reply. "I'm Barack Obama, nice to meet you!" he says, and puts his arm across my shoulder. I put my arm around his hip -- wow, he didn't even sweat! WHAT A MAN!"
>>

via
And clearly, when those polls were conducted that stated that Americans believe that Obama gets more favorable coverage, this is what they were talking about -- what the German press is saying about him

Branduil

APF said:
<<

>>

via
What are you talking about. There's no evidence at all that anybody in the world misguidedly deifies Obama, or latches onto him as some kind of messianic politician and uber-man that will usher in a new politics of peace and unity(involving all his opponents suddenly giving up their unreasonable positions and agreeing with his reasonable ones). That's just a right-wing talking point.

APF

Obama's actually pretty weak in terms of world leaders. Kim Jong-il, of course, has been known to tricep kickback two VWs impaled with a telephone pole, and sweats Dom Pérignon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom