• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEO3

Tamanon said:
Kerry is actually doing good in a surrogate capacity against Kyl. I'm actually a little shocked.

Don't be, Kerry has been fucking awesome since he jumped on the O-train. Every time I see him he's on television owning someone. I really wish he had shown just how awesome he could be during his 2004 bid, but sadly he decided to play it safe instead.

Tamanon

Banned
He basically spelled out why offshore drilling is a red herring in many ways, knocked down the surge stuff and got Kyl to admit that the Paris Hilton/Spears bits added nothing to the campaign after all.:lol

Tamanon said:
Rachel actually attacked the "presumptuous" meme. Pointed out that McCain isn't called presumptuous for advertising himself as President McCain or giving a Weekly Radio address. And then tied that into why people see racial tones there.

She also discusses this a bit in today's broadcast of her show. Here's a clip of it.

Karma Kramer said:
Why is the media so biased against Barack Obama?

1356147370_95b0e2cea6_o.jpg

Why does Obama ignore th truth?

Arde5643

siamesedreamer said:
Nah...I just like $100M+ players who stay out of jail.

EDIT - My tag feels liberating...
Good - we also feel really liberated since now we can safely ignore anything you say just by checking your tag.

So thanks, mods.

OuterWorldVoice said:
wat. MoveOn does crap, everyone knows, nobody is fond of it. What does this have to do with bias against or for Obama?
Jon Stewart once had this to say about MoveOn.org:

"MoveOn.org: making even people who agree with you... cringe."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"I do believe we're going to be hearing a lot more from Barack Obama in the years to come. He has the gift." - Billmon, July 2004.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tamanon said:
Please lord, make these debates not horserace debates. PLEASE LORD! Make them all issues.

In case you've forgotten, the three main presidential debates and the vp debate are all sponsored by the "Commission on Presidential Debates", a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that has run all the presidential debates since 1988.

In other words, they won't be horserace debates. All of the debates during the primary were sponsored by news outlets that were interested in high ratings. The CPD doesn't care about ratings so much, so we'll have an impartial set of debates if all of their previous debates are any indication.

Agent Icebeezy said:
People thought Reagan was kooky and after the debates, this was debunked. It is the same thing that is going to happen this cycle. Obama is 6'2" and McCain is 5'7" So, with the height and stature, Obama is going to look presidential.

This year's format is going to have them sitting at a table with a moderator except for the town hall style debate. So height is mostly going to be a non-issue. Age will probably still play a factor, though.

Tamanon

Banned
That's right, it's going to be broadcast on all 3 networks if I remember correctly. That should help contain the superfluous nonsense.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ZealousD said:
In other words, they won't be horserace debates. All of the debates during the primary were sponsored by news outlets that were interested in high ratings. The CPD doesn't care about ratings so much, so we'll have an impartial set of debates if all of their previous debates are any indication.

i hope so, but i have this sinking feeling that they have been corrupted somehow.

:(

HylianTom

Banned
ZealousD said:
Age will probably still play a factor, though.

Yup. I've been predicting that this will be the HD parallel to the Kennedy-Nixon debate, where the younger Kennedy (in powder-based makeup) stayed fresh throughout against the older, clammier Nixon (in no makeup). Generally speaking, people with radios thought that Nixon won, while people with TVs thought that Kennedy won.

People with HDTVs are going to see youthful, toned, tight-skinned Obama versus decrepit, saggy, liverspotted McCain. This contrast won't be as accentuated by SDTVs, so I'm calling it right now:
if we poll those with HDTVs and those with SDTVs, we'd see a definite split.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
siamesedreamer said:
Feel free to link us to a post where I've ever said anything racist about Obama.

You wish he was from a nice white family and could stay out of jail and talk to the suburbs.

HylianTom said:
Yup. I've been predicting that this will be the HD parallel to the Kennedy-Nixon debate, where the younger Kennedy (in powder-based makeup) stayed fresh throughout against the older, clammier Nixon (in no makeup). Generally speaking, people with radios thought that Nixon won, while people with TVs thought that Kennedy won.

People with HDTVs are going to see youthful, toned, tight-skinned Obama versus decrepit, saggy, liverspotted McCain. This contrast won't be as accentuated by SDTVs, so I'm calling it right now:

Gizmodo: Will HDTV Decide the Presidential Election?
mccainupclose.jpg

Hitokage said:
Just came upon this interesting read on the legacy of Hillary Clinton's presidential bid:

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2008/07/standing-at-nexus-of-change.html

The generational differences between Obama and Clinton were always the most interesting aspect of the primary race. I would say that I am sort of surprised the media didn't catch on to it, but their dim view of the average American's capacity for understanding nuance makes the media behavior unsurprising.

JCX

I'm probably a little late on the discussion about this, but this new anti- Obama ad is crazy.
First they blame Obama for high oil prices. Now they are subtly comparing Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

To be cliche, this is madness!

Senator Ted Stevens's inevitable indictment yesterday made one Alaska Republican deliriously happy: lawyer and economic historian Vic Vickers, who's mounting a very-generously-self-funded primary campaign against Stevens.

Not so happy: national GOPers. Or they won't be when they get a load of exactly what kind of Republican their electoral savior is.

The best hope the GOP has in Alaska is for a fresh face to knock off Stevens in the August 26 primary, allowing Republicans to approach the general election from higher ground. Well -- Vickers is nothing if not fresh. "As an American historian, I’ve studied every president," he told me over the phone today from Anchorage, "and I can say with authority that George Bush is the worst president in American history."

:lol

Hope of GOP Alaska

HylianTom said:

HD penetration is so small that this won't have much of any effect on anything. This myth gets out of hand, especially when people gloss over the fact that Kennedy barely won that election - or didn't win it at all...

Race issue moves to center of campaign
Given the historic presence of the nation's first major-party African-American presidential nominee, it was likely inevitable.

But now the combustible issue of Barack Obama's racial identity has been thrust squarely into the heated political battle of the 2008 race. Obama Wednesday warned voters that John McCain or his allies would try to "scare" them with his race, and McCain campaign manager Rick Davis responded furiously on Thursday, accusing Obama of playing the race card.

Behind the accusations from both sides in the last 24 hours lies a furious battle to frame the racially charged conflict many in both campaigns have been girding for and to find effective ways to blame the other campaign for any unpalatable racial subtext to a race that — in theory — could actually show the better angels of America’s nature.

esbern

this guy is the state representative (just for state gov) of my district. he's 24. here's his facebook status:

______ strongly believes Obama and/or McCain needs to pick a female Vice President. If McCain does, Obama doesn't, McCain wins. Many women feel disenfranchised. 11m ago

fucking shoot me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom