• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blakero said:
080731DailyUpdateGraph1_pcmrtyb.gif

fuck

God blessss ammmeriiicaaaaa

red_neck_car.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
maynerd said:
I believe that McCain is an empty shell and believes what people tell him to believe. Whatever is on the notecard at the time.

I've noticed that, he always has a notecard. Like he can't talk on his feet.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
He asks someone else to remind him what he thinks?
Why are you playing the age card? McCain is old and sometimes forgetful.

artredis1980 said:
God blessss ammmeriiicaaaaa
The Gallup was the only poll to show Obama getting a bump from his overseas trip. What it has done since then is regress back to where it was before - which is where all the other polls are.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
don't pay much attention to the gallups. They were virtually tied up until his overseas trip, where Obama shot up. McCain then starts the negative ads, people believe them, then you see the effect. I can't wait for the debates just to see how polar opposite they are.

Agent Icebeezy

alr1ghtstart said:
don't pay much attention to the gallups. They were virtually tied up until his overseas trip, where Obama shot up. McCain then starts the negative ads, people believe them, then you see the effect. I can't wait for the debates just to see how polar opposite they are.

He won't be able to carry the notecard.

maynerd said:
I believe that McCain is an empty shell and believes what people tell him to believe. Whatever is on the notecard at the time.

From what I can tell, foreign policy is the only area in which McCain seems to have any real convictions. And even then, they're the wrong convictions, and he still doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about when he speaks on the subject.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/obama_taunts_mccain_is_that_th.php

Obama said:
"We want to have a serious debate. But so far, we've been hearing about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. I do have to ask my opponent: is that the best you can come up with? Is that really what the election is about? Is that worthy of the American people? Even the media has pointed out...that McCain has fallen back into ... predictable political attacks and demonstratively false statements... Spending all this time talking about me instead of talking about what he's going to do. That's not going to lower your gas prices. That's's not going...to help you find a job if it's been shipped overseas. It doesn't do a single thing to help the American people. It's the politics of the game. But the time for game-playing is over. That's why I'm running for President."....
(emphasis added)

has this been discussed already?

Tamanon

Banned
And....is it such a good idea for McCain to accuse Obama of playing the race card the day before McCain is speaking in front of the National Urban League?

maynerd

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
The last two days prove that these two guys are completely unfit for the White House.

Where the fuck is Gingrich?

Yeah? McCain has proven he's unfit because of his attacks and Obama has proven it because of the attacks?

Explain.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
siamesedreamer said:
The last two days prove that these two guys are completely unfit for the White House.

Where the fuck is Gingrich?

What the?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Gingrich?

ahahaha

i'd also love to know what Obama did in the last two days that suddenly makes him unfit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AniHawk said:
He asks someone else to remind him what he thinks?

Its terrible isn't it? Why would he fall back on Bush's position? If he doesn't know where he stands on an issue, why take Bush's 28 percent having opinion?????

Cheebs said:
Gingrich is unfit to be a city dog catcher. Come on.

Gingrich is actually pretty damn sharp. Really the only republican who has a clue. He just has a really bad stink from the days of being Speaker of the House.

He had the sense lay low this year, and has been predicting a bloodbath for republicans come november.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
maynerd said:
More McCain taking a question...

Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”
Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.”
(Mr. McCain turns to take a question on Iraq, but a moment later looks back to the reporter who asked him about AIDS.)
Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”
Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”
Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”
Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”
Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”
Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

I really should have bolded the whole thing.

he doesnt even know his own policies. good lord. :/

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/31/the-view-fights-over-john_n_116097.html

Elisabeth: It seems to be that you can only have one opinion in this country right now.
Whoopi: Oh really? After the last eight years you can say that? Don't go there, please. On one opinion, I know. I got eaten by what one opinion should be in this country.
Elisabeth: I'm saying, you experienced that.
Whoopi: Yes I did, so that's not what I'm doing. I'm trying to get this ad out, to talk about this ad, whether you think it's good or whether you don't think it's good. Not because he went here... What was wrong with that ad is, Is there no other way to do this? John McCain is a great guy. I like him. But this was beneath him. He is a much better guy than this. And that's what agitates me.
Joy: Well, he used to be. He used to be. He's not anymore.

Just hilarious how worked up they were getting.:lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys:

dont forget, tonight at midnight is the deadline to donate money. Any donation in July qualifies you for the chance to go to Denver and meet the Senator.

So, everyone give 10 bucks. Think of it as a raffle with awesome as the prize.

dionysus

Yaldog
Gingrich is the greatest Republican leader since the Gipper. Unfortunately, effective Republicans get mercilessly attacked by the media. So eventually he got overwhelmed and run out of Capitol Hill.

maynerd

Banned
StoOgE said:
Guys:

dont forget, tonight at midnight is the deadline to donate money. Any donation in July qualifies you for the chance to go to Denver and meet the Senator.

So, everyone give 10 bucks. Think of it as a raffle with awesome as the prize.

Wut?! I'm donating TONIGHT!

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0708/Davis_Obama_camp_was_pushing_race_story.html#comments

"His campaign actively has been feeding to journalists, all night last night and all day today, the notion that somehow something that we have done in our campaign -- which I could not identify to you today -- somehow had racial overtones," he said, in an apparent reference to the claim -- seen on liberal blogs -- that pairing Obama with two oversexed young white women carried a racial edge.

The blog items, he said, were a third factor driving his comment. "I can only assume [the items] did not come out of the blue," he said, apparently crediting Obama's campaign with suggesting the theme to bloggers.

Uh....what? McCain's camp is the only one that actively feeds talking points to bloggers.:lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So when does the polls usually start to reflect more accurately the outcome of the election? a month before? a week? i am asking because i think the poll results at this point are pretty useless considering is so long before the election.

I think the winner of the day is that Exxon Mobile's stock dropped today because their profits for the quarter "only" hit $11.6 billion (the highest of any US company) were below expectations. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
First read not really buying the race card bit:

Earlier this morning, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis released this one-sentence statement: "Barack Obama has played the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck. It's divisive, negative, shameful and wrong."

The statement refers to this Obama line yesterday: "So nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other Presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky. That's essentially the argument they're making."

Obama's remark yesterday seemed innocuous. In fact, it's similar to what he has said many times before. "I know that I don’t look like the Americans who’ve previously spoken in this great city," Obama noted in last week's speech in Berlin.

Perhaps more important, Obama's remarks wouldn't have been seen as playing the race card if Davis hadn't issued this release. After all, the best way to play the race card sometimes is to accuse the other of playing it.

Could you argue Obama used the color of his skin as an attempt to garner votes? Yes. Could you also argue that some Republicans have played the race card? Yes. (See here and here and here.) And was it inevitable that race was going to play a role in this campaign? Yes.

But Obama's remarks yesterday seemed like an obvious observation; Obama was very subtle. Davis, though, decided to use a sledgehammer.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton issued this statement: "This is a race about big challenges -- a slumping economy, a broken foreign policy, and an energy crisis for everyone but the oil companies. Barack Obama in no way believes that the McCain campaign is using race as an issue, but he does believe they're using the same old low-road politics to distract voters from the real issues in this campaign, and those are the issues he'll continue to talk about."

Tamanon

Banned
That was after the debates and people realized that Reagan wasn't a newbie who would just ruin everything. I expect a similar bump for Obama after the debates, since theoretically it won't be 20-minutes about mandates versus voluntary.:p

Agent Icebeezy

Gexecuter said:
So two months before the election carter had the edge and then right before the election the polls were in the margin of error? wow. Since Reagan won by a landslide i wonder if something happened right before the election or the gallup polling was just wrong.

People thought Reagan was kooky and after the debates, this was debunked. It is the same thing that is going to happen this cycle. Obama is 6'2" and McCain is 5'7" So, with the height and stature, Obama is going to look presidential. Then, when they both have to talk, Obama is going to blow McCain out of the water. Look at every showing of McCain, he is holding an index card of notes. He won't have that, or anybody else talking into his ear. He will be alone for the whole world to see. There is going to be a public massacre during that first debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom