• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diablos said:
Oh boy, a tie!

If the Britney and Paris video contributed to that, then Americans will fall for anything. There's no campaign strategy that can save people from falling for that shit, even though if Obama loses people would claim otherwise.

Also, if Britney sues McCain - :lol
Finally, she does something worthy of our respect!
Time for paper, rock, scissors.

GhaleonEB

ORLANDO, Fla. -- We've written before about the McCain campaign's recent restriction of the media's access to the candidate. In the last few days, I've heard some reporters say that they could just as easily do their jobs from their desks in Washington. Some plucky journalists have resorted to calling out questions when they find themselves within earshot at Sen. John McCain's photo-ops, only to be ignored.

Well, today is a little different. For the first time in the four weeks that I've been traveling with the campaign, McCain has actually scheduled -- as in it's in the schedule, as opposed to hastily announced, usually moments before -- a media availability for later today in Panama City, Fla. This will be the first time the presumptive Republican nominee has taken questions from the traveling press in more than a week -- since last Thursday's awkward supermarket debacle, that made more headlines for an applesauce spill than for its content.

So is McCain looking forward to taking questions and getting his message out -- in this week where his campaign really went after Sen. Barack Obama in an ad that compared the Illinois senator to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears? The likely answer: not really. The conference is scheduled for 3:20 p.m. CDT -- part of the Florida panhandle is not on Eastern time -- which is 4:20 EDT. It is expected to last until 4:35 p.m. His one press conference of the week will take place late in the day Friday. As so many beleaguered administrations -- consider the Reagan White House during Iran-contra, not to mention the current Bush White House -- have demonstrated, this ls the ideal time to release information if you want it to be ignored. It's not ideal for the press corps -- but at this point, they will have to take what they can get.
http://washingtonindependent.com/view/extra-extra-mccain

artredis1980 said:
you have GOT to be fucking kidding me!

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/143513.html
picard-facepalm.jpg

They'll be talking about this soon.

I love that ad. Here, we've all been talking to death whether or not McCain went too far with the last one, and whether or not it was even a wise political attack. Surely, McCain won't try another stunt like that again, will he?

You bet your ass he will! Kudos, Johnny.

Wow. This is despicable, but so far it seems to be working. But I think they're taking it too far and hopefully there will be a big backlash. That clip of Obama talking about a light shining down... was that him countering Clinton's sarcasm in the primary? It sounded familiar...

maynerd

Banned
As usual just about everything McCain says is a distortion or a lie. Most of the things he puts out are already debunked too. They freakin absolutely know it's a lie and they are tossing it out. Worse yet they distort it even more than it was distorted before.

Prime example is the quote in the ad.

The original distortion
"This is the moment ... that the world is waiting for. ... I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

Now the McCain distortion
I have become a symbol of America returning to our best traditions

The actual quote
"It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign -- that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It's about America. I have just become a symbol."

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Besides what Maynerd posted, doesn't the ad have a religious undertone to it? Wouldn't this help Obama with the evangelicals? :lol :lol
No, McCain's just pointing out the facts here. Evangelicals will hate him more, and rightfully so. The fact that a secret Muslim has the audacity to parade around as the second coming of Jesus Christ? Obama must be stopped!

Vote John McCain!

Kaeru

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:
Wow. This is despicable, but so far it seems to be working. But I think they're taking it too far and hopefully there will be a big backlash. That clip of Obama talking about a light shining down... was that him countering Clinton's sarcasm in the primary? It sounded familiar...

What I thought too, sounds like he was being sarcastic about what Clinton said.

maynerd

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Besides what Maynerd posted, doesn't the ad have a religious undertone to it? Wouldn't this help Obama with the evangelicals? :lol :lol

No because the ad is making out that Obama is Jesus and that Obama THINKS he's jesus sent here to save us all.

masud

Banned
Wasn't Obama mocking Hilary (for trying to pull the same shit McCain is now) with that light shining down statement?

maynerd

Banned
Kaeru said:
What I thought too, sounds like he was being sarcastic about what Clinton said.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was talking about.

This ad is beyond the pail. I hope that the press rips him appart during his press conference. They won't cause he's teflon john.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This ad takes at least 3 things out of context, and in doing so changes their meaning completely.

The thing about the light shining down was MOCKING people who said stuff like this.

This is fucking stupid. Congrats McCain, Bush now looks like he ran a clean campaign compared to you.

I guess Obama's best chance is to do "McCain is old and senile" attacks?

Kusagari said:
The sad fact is that these ads somehow seem to be working. God bless America, where you win by belittling your opponent.
Yes. I can't wait for the polls to close, and the anchors to announce that the winner is... Not Barack Obama! The divisive Democrat has been defeated by whoever the Republicans threw on the ballot to oppose him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JayDubya said:
What's "illegally fire," precious?

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN3024398620070430?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

http://www.momandpopnyc.com/campaig...ces_Unions/AntiUnionActs, WaPost, 4.10.05.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuZt0vYwvB4

And to just add a little bit more to the discussion...

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

* Article 23.

(1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.

(2) Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.

(3) Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.

(4) Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

That's right, busting unions is a human rights abuse.

Gaborn

ZealousD said:

Only in some peoples minds. Nobody has a right to work anywhere they choose under their own conditions, you work at the pleasure, ultimately of your employer. If you go against their interests, as long as they're the one paying you I have no problem with them firing you. If the government objects they can pay your salary.

GhaleonEB

alr1ghtstart said:
stay classy McCain. :lol :lol
I remember people talking about how the primary was ugly (I was guilty of that as well). Every now and then people would warn, just wait for the general. This is nothing.

They weren't kidding. Holy fuck, McCain. What a shitbag.

GhaleonEB said:
I remember people talking about how the primary was ugly (I was guilty of that as well). Every now and then people would warn, just wait for the general. This is nothing.

They weren't kidding. Holy fuck, McCain. What a shitbag.
Whoa, Ghal. Don't insult McCain. He's right: people are starting view Obama as some sort of religious figure, a second coming of Christ if you will, and it needs to stop. Now.

Dax01 said:
Whoa, Ghal. Don't insult McCain. He's right: people are starting view Obama as some sort of religious figure, a second coming of Christ if you will, and it needs to stop. Now.
Make your voice heard. Vote Not Barack Obama!

Dax01 said:

I see way more people starting to view the people who support Obama as people who believe he's some sort of religious figure than I ever see people actually viewing him as some sort of religious figure.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I see way more people starting to view the people who support Obama as people who believe he's some sort of religious figure than I ever see people actually viewing him as some sort of religious figure.
Based on what McCain has told me, you're incorrect.

Branduil

BenjaminBirdie said:
To be fair many people here and elsewhere do see politics in a quasi-religious light where politics takes the place of religion in their lives.

Branduil said:
To be fair many people here and elsewhere do see politics in a quasi-religious light where politics takes the place of religion in their lives.
To be fair many people here and elsewhere do see athletes in a quasi-religious light where sports takes the place of religion in their lives.

Sports can also be substituted with anything else that receives wide, national coverage and is deemed as an important current event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom