• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!

Make it happen!

Cheebs

reilo said:
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!

Make it happen!
He wasn't on the short list, the only foreign policy guy on it was Biden. And Mark Halperin said this weekend it WILL be someone from the shortlist and not out of left field... Though Bayh has a lot of foreign policy cred too.

Clark has a good resume but he is a horrible campaigner.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Speaking of Clark...I didn't know he was from Chicago. To bad he jumped on the Clinton boat early on :/

He's not a great campaigner or debater though, plus he has no experience in government

Clark's biggest problem in '04 was that he jumped in late. All the good advisors, consultants, fundraisers were scooped up. For someone that green, it was not a good situation.

With a bit more experience under his belt, I'm sure he'd do great. He really is an exceptional person.

Cheebs

reilo said:
I don't believe in any damn short lists.
Ok then how about just the fact Wes Clark would be a complete dud? Weak campaigner and no one outside of the netroots cares about him. Horrible choice.

mamacint said:
Clark's biggest problem in '04 was that he jumped in late. All the good advisors, consultants, fundraisers were scooped up. For someone that green, it was not a good situation.

With a bit more experience under his belt, I'm sure he'd do great. He really is an exceptional person.

Nah, he just isn't a good politician with good instincts.

Having an impressive resume is not enough.

Keylime

Instigator said:

(neutral) Instigator
(Today, 06:54 PM)
Reply | Quote

HOLY EFF?! WHAT THE EFF!

And the new avatar is :lol

Instigator said:

He tends to kick ass on the talk shows when he's on. That could easily translate into being an effective VP.

Hootie said:
Chris Matthews is finally back!

Yeah and they just showed McCain's Olympics ad.

Chris Matthews: Isn't it interesting that they're showing a smiling Obama next to bad news? It's like they're playing on his celebrity, his popularity and sticking it to him on the facts.

Andrea Mitchell: First off, it's factually wrong.

Keylime

Instigator said:
Don't get too excited, it's just a tag.
Bah...it seems as though this is a new trend. Now we can't tell who can/can't make threads!

Oh wells.

reilo said:
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!
WESLEY CLARK!

Make it happen!

My 'out-there' VP picks:

Obama/Bloomberg
Obama/Warren Buffet
Obama/Wesley Clark

reilo

polyh3dron said:
Matthews, HOW THE FUCK IS MCCAIN STICKING IT TO OBAMA ON THE FACTS? Is your show not called Hardball?

Mathews can be so disappointing. He's a very charismatic, smart, and at the same time very enigmatic figure.

Farmboy

PhoenixDark said:

'Securing America's Future' is actually the slogan for Wes Clark's PAC, as CQ politics points out:

Gen. Wes Clark's slogan -- "Securing America's Future" -- is the theme for the night Barack Obama's running mate is scheduled to speak at the Democratic National Convention.

Clark's political action committee is called WESPAC -- Securing America's Future.

(Forgive me if this has been mentioned, I must have missed it).

On another note, this is the most comprehensive list of McCain flip-flops I've seen yet. Can't hurt to digg it.

reilo

:lol :lol

Olbermann brought up Wiki-gate.

Also, hearing Bush say that Russia must respect Georgia's sovereignty is hilarious times ten.

Tamanon

Banned
Which is really bizarre, since he should have the most comprehensive knowledge on Georgia himself. Considering his foreign policy head WORKED for them.

reilo

Tamanon said:
Which is really bizarre, since he should have the most comprehensive knowledge on Georgia himself. Considering his foreign policy head WORKED for them.

Maybe he was the one that wrote the Wikipedia entries?

Operation: Social Engineering

Mission: Tamper with the McCain Campaign computers so that every Wikipedia query is rerouted to Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Hopeful Outcome: Lulz will be had.

Hootie

polyh3dron said:
Operation: Social Engineering

Mission: Tamper with the McCain Campaign computers so that every Wikipedia query is rerouted to Encyclopedia Dramatica. Lulz will be had.

Can't wait for his ED speech on America :lol :lol

thekad

Banned
Wesley Clark wouldn't be too bad. Who else served in the military (that's the new litmus test, no?) and is on the "short list?" Please don't say Biden.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
Josh Green's piece in The Atlantic on the demise of Hillary Clinton's campaign is now out:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200809/hillary-clinton-campaign

Be sure to take a gander at all the unearthed memos, too. Lots of good stuff.
I just got home and started going through this. I'm going to read the entire article, and all of the memos linked along the way.

The first big one, Penn's strategy memo after Clinton's reelection in 2006, is incredibly telling of their later strategy and how deeply they under-estimated Obama.

On strategy if he runs: "We have to transfer electability burden to him."

On his threat level if he did:

"We have to attract the base of the party - the most liberal, activist, difficult group of voters in America. Or not. We really only need neutralize them because time and time again they have not proven to be the real base of the party. The real base is of working class and middle class Americans, who feel left out of the new waves of prosperity they see around them.

*snip*

Kerry beat Dean. Gore easily defeated Bradley."

They were under-estimating Obama right from the initial strategy. And part of the strategy was to convince the activists that "you never would have started the war". Too bad she voted for it!

And twice so far Penn spelled Obama's first name as "Barak".

gkryhewy

Wesley Clark would be a good pick. AFAIK his only liability would be the "being shot down doesn't make you qualified to be president" bit.

He's perhaps a more interesting and dynamic candidate than the other short-listers, and would bring a bit of energy to what has at its best been an energy campaign.

I would prefer him to midwestern brown haired white guy number 7.

RubxQub said:
Se...belius?

:(
n744489007_867516_470.jpg

Why is everyone thinking Clark all of the sudden?

Also.. I would be fucking stoked if it was Clark. The guy is awesome. And he could legitimately go after McCain on military/foreign policy issues without being snubbed aside as inexperienced.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, I think there really is something to the naming of the VP day at the convention, that's just too weird:p

Plus, McCain's willingness to go so negative already means that you can unleash the attack dog Clark with no real boundaries.

speculawyer said:
Maybe because there is a war in Eastern Europe again?

Do you really think Obama would randomly switch his pick because of a sudden foreign war? I doubt he would do something so rash.

But perhaps you are right.

Any other reasons? I thought Clark was pretty much off the list due to the explosion of negative press he got after the comments he made about McCain. Even Obama basically said in a press release that what Clark said was wrong.

Biden is going to be the pick in my opinion.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Wow, that's interesting. Clark was never mentioned as a top choice on the short list, and he's virtually disappeared since his comments on McCain. O_O

Eh he still shows up every week or so on Abrams' show.

Clark would be the best pick... come to think of it. Cause he is a symbol of the military. People fear democrats still because they think... once a democrat gets in charge... we are going to get attacked again. Having Clark right next to Obama, probably would give a lot of people comfort.

Most of all the name "General" and the visual "Clark in uniform" do a lot more in getting votes then any other candidate.

Tamanon

Banned
So....I guess I'm having trouble connecting the dots on McCain's commercials. Obama promises more government spending but that means.....less jobs? It's not like government spending is just dumping the money into a shredder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom