• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama can attack McCain on these issues, and dismantle his smears at the same time. It's easy, too. Start a commercial with McCain's latest comment (McCain's poking fun at inflating tires) and lead that into contrasting with Obama's serious commitment to the United States (while Barack Obama proposes solutions for Americans from the federal level down to individual solutions). Discredit him as nothing serious, non-substantial, petty, while giving weight to Obama's gravitas.

Edit:

Today I had a discussion with a friend who argued with me about the media and it's relationship with McCain and Obama. He said the media was in love with Obama (ugh). I wanted to counter, but it was hard. Where can I get hard proof to the contrary? My friend is very intelligent, but for some reason, all he knows of politics are, well, campaign ads and what he can catch from the media.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Door2Dawn said:
So when Obama doesn't fight back you guys start freaking out and saying how he needs to do this and that.

But when he does hits back,it hurts him because he is hitting to hard?

He seriously can't win with some of you people.

Look, Obama needs to hit back, but he needs to do it well.

This is the political equivalent of "NO U!"

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Obama can attack McCain on these issues, and dismantle his smears at the same time. It's easy, too. Start a commercial with McCain's latest comment (McCain's poking fun at inflating tires) and lead that into contrasting with Obama's serious commitment to the United States (while Barack Obama proposes solutions for Americans from the federal level down to individual solutions). Discredit him as nothing serious, non-substantial, petty, while giving weight to Obama's gravitas.
I'm pretty sure Obama has an ad that does the exact same thing airing during the olympics

ZealousD said:
Look, Obama needs to hit back, but he needs to do it well.

This is the political equivalent of "NO U!"
Well, I'm sure it's made in jest, and this campaign sure could use some humor in it. It's all in good fun, really...

I'm pretty sure Obama has an ad that does the exact same thing airing during the olympics

All I've seen is the Hands ad. Which, I think, is very good. Every time I see McCain's ad sandwich'd between two uplifting Olympic ads, I have to wince.

Leave it to me to cover the superficial crap!

White House DJ Battle
On the eve of the Democratic and Republican conventions, Blender polled Barack Obama and John McCain for their top 10 songs. then we enlisted trusted sages Randy Newman and Girl Talk to analyze their picks.
July 30 2008
whitehouseDJbattle_article_large.jpg

BARACK OBAMA
1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Spingsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am

JOHN McCAIN
1. Dancing Queen ABBA
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me ABBA
4. If We MakeIt Through December Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters

more at link

perfectchaos007 said:
So what do you guys think about Barack Obama being popular in the hood? I went to Cedar Point over the weekend and saw a lot of gangsta's wearing oversized Obama shirts. I think its a good thing tbqh. He is a better gangsta icon then say Tupac. Its actually quite interesting to see all this happening.
God forbid inner city blacks have someone to look up to who isn't a criminal. Obama's making it cool for black men to be smart articulate and ambitious, and he shows them that they can go toe to toe with the whites in their world, and that they CAN do more than selling crack rock or having a wicked jump shot.

...and WTF McCain.... TWO ABBA songs? srsly?

Banned
Lv99 Slacker said:
Leave it to me to cover the superficial crap!

White House DJ Battle
On the eve of the Democratic and Republican conventions, Blender polled Barack Obama and John McCain for their top 10 songs. then we enlisted trusted sages Randy Newman and Girl Talk to analyze their picks.
July 30 2008
whitehouseDJbattle_article_large.jpg

BARACK OBAMA
1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Spingsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am

JOHN McCAIN
1. Dancing Queen ABBA
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me ABBA
4. If We MakeIt Through December Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters

more at link

either obama lied or he has a shitty taste in music. will.i.am, U2, seriously Barack?

Some of McCain's song seem so...appropriate:lol

either obama lied or he has a shitty taste in music. will.i.am, U2, seriously Barack?

Some of McCain's song seem so...appropriate:lol

U2 is great, as is Bruce, Nina, and the Rollingstones....

Its typical mainstream stuff... but its not shitty.

Obama, McCain: By Their Offices Ye Shall Know Them
By NANCY BENAC Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON August 11, 2008 (AP)

By their offices ye shall know them.

The personalities and personal histories of John McCain and Barack Obama are as evident in the artwork, books and mementoes in their Senate offices as in any words they may utter.

McCain's office oozes comfy clutter and informality: random piles of books, a fortune-cookie message taped to the desk, an abundance of tchotchkes and bric-a-brac.

Obama's office feels more like a gallery of modern art: precisely placed objects, sparsely adorned surfaces, clean lines, choreographed displays.

Both offices show their occupants' sentimental streak: McCain has a picture of his favorite high school teacher, and a 1904 Navy register that lists his grandfather as a midshipman. Obama has a photo of the cliff in Hawaii where his mother's ashes were scattered into the Pacific, and a tiger-beating stick from his grandmother's village in Kenya.

A walking tour of the Senate offices of the two presidential candidates tells a tale of their occupants:

(McCain)

capt.6668e1b1402449dea6fa6bc2fe16da9c.office_politics_mccain_wxsc220.jpg

Some of the things covering the Capitol Hill office desktop of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Monday, July 21, 2008, in Washington. Asked by the Associated Press during an interview if there could one day be a dancing hamster and a Barry Goldwater bobble-head, left, in the Oval Office, McCain, laughed and said, 'There should be.' He added that he'd seen a McCain bobble-head recently. 'Maybe we'd have to have that,' he said. 'You've got to have a little humor.'
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.818ae629cf104d6990d434d89d4f4937.office_politics_mccain_wxsc214.jpg

In the Capitol Hill office of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in Washington Monday, July 21, 2008, there is only one glad-handing political photo in the office, and it is of McCain posing with the late Rev. Jerry Falwell and Falwell's wife, Macel, in 2006. The inscription to McCain from the televangelist reads: 'You are a great American, a national treasure and I am glad to say my good friend.' That would be the same Falwell McCain referred to during his first presidential run in 2000 as an 'agent of intolerance'. They reconciled.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.b697ad75ef5d45f3bc32b1a7b14dde41.office_politics_mccain_wxsc213.jpg

In the Capitol Hill office of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in Washington Monday, July 21, 2008, the Republican presidential has 1904 Navy register that lists his grandfather as a midshipman. Atop it is a bible.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.ac00d1df8c8a4dcfb6453f510dce7f4d.office_politics_mccain_wxsc217.jpg

An 18th century muzzle loader rests up against the wall of the Capitol Hill office of Republican Presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Monday, July 21, 2008, in Washington.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.dc6b8660a68d45e883da584819d09da4.office_politics_mccain_wxsc212.jpg

On a table in the Capitol Hill office of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Monday, July 21, 2008, in Washington is a fist-sized chunk of reddish rock mounted on a base with the inscription 'Hoa Lo — Hanoi Hilton.' It's another small but powerful reminder of McCain's five and a half years as a POW.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.88f93d09ee1646d18d68707b02342c7f.office_politics_mccain_wxsc209.jpg

On the imposing marble mantel of the fireplace in Sen. John McCain's, R-Ariz., office on Capitol Hill Monday, July 21, 2008, in Washington is one of McCain's most prized possessions: a baseball signed by Red Sox great Ted Williams, a childhood hero.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.7f9a82b17a184606a7a0ebf4bac8de18.office_politics_obama_wxsc210.jpg

In his Capitol Hill office in Washington Monday, July 21, 2008, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., an avid reader, has books stacked seven- oreight-high along the length of a window sill. They include among McCain's favorite 'For Whom the Bell Tolls.'
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

(Obama)

capt.d11a5208d47443f990abf8488f340d9f.office_politics_obama_wxsc112.jpg

The desk in Sen. Barack Obama's office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, once used by former Illinois Sen. Paul Simon, is a testament to discipline. It is home to two family photos, a very uncrowded inbox, a mug full of pens, and little else.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.551b8be6f55a48d88e8bb759957016d7.office_politics_obama_wxsc110.jpg

In the office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a painting by Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., dedicated to the Illinois senator with the words, 'To Barack - I love your audacity. With great respect and warmest wishes.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.0d944d62e2a240e194bcf1a138b0a49b.office_politics_obama_wxsc108.jpg

On a wall in the office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a photo, left, of the cliff in Hawaii, where Obama's mother's ashes were scattered into the Pacific, and at center a 2004 portrait of Thurgood Marshall by Chaz Guest on loan from the DuSable Museum of African American History in Chicago, Ill.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.316bb0d587a6403d92e35fafdf55f985.office_politics_obama_wxsc106.jpg

In office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, one item that Obama originally planned to mount on the wall wound up on the floor; it's a white Gibson guitar that Obama received as a Rock the Vote honoree. The holes were already drilled to hang it on the wall when a guitar player who happened to be visiting the office convinced Obama that the instrument should be preserved in its case. Obama himself doesn't play.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.c77eeaa2afc0414e99553b14d36b1094.office_politics_obama_wxsc105.jpg

A wall in Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, displays a personal collection of photos taken by Obama's former personal assistant, David Katz, in various political settings, such as the Democratic National Convention and a Rainbow PUSH event, but also with his wife, and daughters. Hanging next to the photo of Muhammad Ali over a fallen Sonny Liston in their 1965 rematch, left, used to be the most prominent item in the office: a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Ali. The gloves were put in storage; aides said visitors were too prone to handle them.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.37a85297475c4c559d6ed1d4b7af96c3.office_politics_obama_wxsc104.jpg

On the side table of Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., office in the Senate Hart Office Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a tiger-beating stick from his grandmother's village in Kenya, and under the table is a white Gibson guitar that Obama received as a Rock the Vote honoree.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.b8fc315347af4c1cb6c0293eb6fea861.office_politics_obama_wxsc103.jpg

In office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is the 'wall of heroes' containing historic photos of those the senator admires. Abe Lincoln is there, as well as Gandhi with his spinning wheel, Martin Luther King Jr., and John F. Kennedy. The arrangement includes a framed original program from the 1963 March on Washington where King delivered his 'I have a dream' speech. There also is a framed copy of the Life magazine cover from 1965 showing civil rights marchers in Selma, Ala. It is signed by John Lewis, a protester who was bludgeoned at Selma and now is a member of Congress.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.e5405a0d2747445883780ab22d40d1da.office_politics_obama_wxsc102.jpg

The desk of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is seen in his Senate office in the Hart Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008. Obama has been a senator only since 2005, and his office in the Hart Office Building has a fresh, clean look to it. 'He's tidy. It stays tidy,' said Ashley Tate-Gilmore, the Illinois senator's executive assistant.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

rest of the AP article at link
full photo gallery

mj1108

FlightOfHeaven said:
Today I had a discussion with a friend who argued with me about the media and it's relationship with McCain and Obama. He said the media was in love with Obama (ugh). I wanted to counter, but it was hard. Where can I get hard proof to the contrary? My friend is very intelligent, but for some reason, all he knows of politics are, well, campaign ads and what he can catch from the media.

Then he can't be very smart.

You gotta get him on what the media has been sidestepping (mostly McCain's flipflops).

Banned
McCain has a good taste in books, but his room is so blah. it kinda looks like what you would expect on a hollywood set but much more cluttered. looks good though.

I want the Barry Goldwater head and the plush toy.

Obama room looks so sheik, modernized but without a hint of hi-tech. it's classy in a GQ sort of way. Better than McCain's anyway.

Get rid of the Guitar though. I want the Thurgood Marshall painting.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
polyh3dron said:
God forbid inner city blacks have someone to look up to who isn't a criminal. Obama's making it cool for black men to be smart articulate and ambitious, and he shows them that they can go toe to toe with the whites in their world, and that they CAN do more than selling crack rock or having a wicked jump shot.

...and WTF McCain.... TWO ABBA songs? srsly?

His favorite song of all time is, Dancing Queen?

From Entertainment Weekly...

Barack Obama: My Pop-Culture Favorites
The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee talks to EW about his picks in movies (''The Godfather''), TV shows (''M*A*S*H,'' ''The Dick Van Dyke Show''), singers (Frank Sinatra, Sheryl Crow), and a fictional president he admires

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: A lot of your pop culture tastes are already listed on your Facebook page — we know you like the first two Godfather movies and are a big SportsCenter fan — but we want to get a little more specific and probing.
BARACK OBAMA: Absolutely, sure.

For instance, who's your favorite movie or TV president?
You know who was a great movie president? Jeff Bridges in The Contender. That was a great movie president. He was charming and essentially an honorable person, but there was a rogue about him. The way he would order sandwiches — he was good at that.

Is that one of the things you're looking forward to? Confounding the White House kitchen staff with obscure sandwich requests?
Absolutely. I want to test them. I want to see if I can get any sandwich I want.

What's the last movie you saw in a theater?
Oh, goodness. It's almost certainly a children's movie. The last few times I've gone it's been with my kids. I'm trying to think back — maybe Shrek 3?

What'd you think of it?
Not as good as the original.

Who controls the remote in your house —you or Michelle?
I usually have some clout when it comes to the remote. I'm not home a lot, so Michelle is usually willing to give it up. The only time I grab for the remote is when a game is on.

So neither of you are fascists when it comes to the remote...
If I tell her, ''Sweetie, we've got game 5 of the NBA finals on,'' she's willing to give me a little slack. Most of the time, though, the TV is on HGTV, and I suffer that silently.

Are there any shows you two argue about?
She likes American Idol, her and the girls, in a way that I don't entirely get.

Have you or any member of your family ever voted for an Idol?
I think the girls did vote in last year's contest. I don't know who they voted for, but I recall that a vote was cast. They were very excited about it. [Obama's camp won't comment, but rumor has it that his daughters, Malia and Sasha, were big David Archuleta fans last season.]

What's the last videogame you played?
Pong. That gives you a sense of my age. I loved that game.

more Q&A at link

John McCain: My Pop-Culture Favorites
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee talks to EW about his picks in movies (''Viva Zapata!,'' Indiana Jones), TV shows (''Seinfeld,'' ''The Wire''), singers (Roy Orbison, Usher), and a fictional president he admires

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: This might sound like a sleazy rumor out of one of those 527 ads, but we've heard you're a huge ABBA fan. Can this possibly be true? Honestly?
JOHN McCAIN: Yes, I have to give a straight-talk answer. I'm also a Roy Orbison fan and a Linda Ronstadt fan — all the ones whose place in the spotlight ended some years ago. But I like Usher, too. I was on Saturday Night Live with him, got to see him perform, and I was very impressed with him.

Yeah, but back to ABBA. Is it true ''Take a Chance on Me'' is your campaign theme song?
''Take a Chance on Me'' was one of them. ''Sweet Caroline'' is another favorite of mine. Lately, with the media, though, we've been using songs like ''My Eyes Adored You'' and ''Can't Take My Eyes Off You.''

What's the best movie about the Vietnam War you've ever seen?
We Were Soldiers. That's a very good film. Let's see, what else? You know, it's been so long since I've seen one. I know there was Full Metal Jacket and Coming Home and Born on the Fourth of July, Apocalypse Now — but honestly, one of them doesn't really stand out as the best.

What's the last movie you saw in a theater?
A couple of weeks ago we went to see the new Indiana Jones movie. I enjoyed that so much. The old guy wins.

We read somewhere that Viva Zapata! is your favorite movie of all time...
Elia Kazan made three movies with Marlon Brando. One was A Streetcar Named Desire, one was On the Waterfront, and the third was Viva Zapata! Many people think Brando's performances in Streetcar and Waterfront were his best. I think Zapata! was his best. I'm in the minority about this. But go back and watch the scene of his wedding night, with [Brando] and Jean Peters — the actress who later married Howard Hughes, who made her give up acting — when she teaches him to read by taking out the Bible and reading it with him. That's a poignant scene.

What's the first movie you remember seeing as a kid?
Believe it or not, Bambi.

Did you cry?
Oh, yeah. When his mother was killed. Oh, yeah, I cried.

If you could be any superhero, which one would you be?
Batman. He does justice sometimes against insurmountable odds. And he doesn't make his good works known to a lot of people, so a lot of people think he's just a rich playboy.

more Q&A at link

Diablos

So most people think the VP is gonna be Kaine?

Is this really a good idea? I always figured he'd be more inclined to go with someone that has military experience.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wait a goddamn minute, McCain likes ABBA?

that explains so much.

But wait, no Fernando? Jesus I hate ABBA so much.

At least he doesnt have Journey on there.. oh wait, there's Niel Diamond. Just as bad.

tanod

when is my burrito
GrotesqueBeauty said:
"No distractions", right? It's what set Obama apart in the first place.

Which is why Obama's only running his on cable news channels. McCain is using his pretty widely.

The Obama campaign seems to be hitting him on the news channels to at least deflect criticism from hardcore party activists and pundits.

Cheebs

Diablos said:

Is this really a good idea? I always figured he'd be more inclined to go with someone that has military experience.
The "official" short list bandied about the media has been Kaine, Bayh, and Biden. But now the convention theme for the VP's day will be about foreign policy and national security so that raises some eyebrows and leads a lot to believe it will be a military type of guy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Diablos said:

Military conflicts are taking a backseat to the economy in this election. Plus, this thing In Georgia seems to be dying down pretty quickly (luckily it doesnt look like a full on power grab, but just a shot across the bow to NATO)... pocketbook first in a bad economy.

He could still go military to make sure that security moms, etc dont vote against their pocketbooks for fears of keeping their kids safe. This scenario assumes that Obama has the economic voter locked up (very likely) and is just trying to take away any fears lingering in the back of their mind about keeping their families safe.

Diablos

StoOgE said:
Military conflicts are taking a backseat to the economy in this election. Plus, this thing In Georgia seems to be dying down pretty quickly (luckily it doesnt look like a full on power grab, but just a shot across the bow to NATO)... pocketbook first in a bad economy.

He could still go military to make sure that security moms, etc dont vote against their pocketbooks for fears of keeping their kids safe. This scenario assumes that Obama has the economic voter locked up (very likely) and is just trying to take away any fears lingering in the back of their mind about keeping their families safe.
Nah, I think it's important that Obama lets undecided voters know he has a military guy as his running mate.

gkryhewy

Amir0x said:
It really IS creepy that Obama has the will.i.am YES WE CAN song as one of his top ten favorites.

It seems clear that each of those lists has a song or two chosen for being politically cute (see: Take a Chance on Me).

Cheebs

gkrykewy said:
It seems clear that each of those lists has a song or two chosen for being politically cute (see: Take a Chance on Me).
Uh...McCain has been obsessed with ABBA since before he ran for President. ;)

tanod

when is my burrito
Diablos said:
Bayh does seem like a good choice. Experience, Hillary surrogate, popular in a red state.

Also, a safe choice. Obama has a really great handle on foreign policy details that he's not getting credit for yet. He doesn't need a Biden or a Clark.

Cheebs

Diablos said:
Bayh does seem like a good choice. Experience, Hillary surrogate, popular in a red state.
And unlike say the gov. of ohio and PA Bayh more or less kept his mouth shut about attacking Obama. No weird moments for anti-Obama ads from him.

Bayh IMO is his best possible choice.

Lots of experience
From red state
White blue-collar support
Former Hillary guy to help with unity
Never is off message
Young, good looking guy makes a good picture with Obama
Both he and Obama would be a mid-west ticket with most swing states in the mid-west this helps

Only drawback is he isn't that charismatic, but Obama is so charismatic and affable it really is not something Obama needs (unlike Kerry who needed the friendly charisma of Edwards to make up for his aloofness)

06obama-531.jpg

JayDubya

Banned
Cheebs said:
Too bad he is right.

To the extent that any and all hobbies and any and all forms of entertainment are "wastes," perhaps.

Though you may be lost, this is a forum for gamers. Self-hating gamers might count, I'm not sure.

Edit: Ooh, sneaksy hobbitses.

Cheebs said:
If you think McCain plays video games instead prepare to be disappointed.

Yeah, this was the joke I was expecting. That, or the "Yeah, like you were going to vote for Obama anyway."

ToxicAdam

[Obama called for] investments in early childhood education to close the achievement gap, but with an added emphasis on poetry, music and art, not just academics. Obama admonished parents to do their part by turning off the television, putting away the video games, and instilling in their children a desire to get a good education.

I know how hard it will be to alleviate poverty that has built up over centuries, how hard it will be to fix schools, because changing our schools will require not just money, but a change in attitudes.

We're going to have to parent better, and turn off the television set, and put the video games away, and instill a sense of excellence in our children, and that's going to take some time.

He probably views video games as a waste of time. I don't really argue with that.

Cheebs

JayDubya said:
To the extent that any and all hobbies and any and all forms of entertainment are "wastes," perhaps.

Though you may be lost, this is a forum for gamers. Self-hating gamers might count, I'm not sure.

Edit: Ooh, sneaksy hobbitses.

Yeah, this was the joke I was expecting. That, or the "Yeah, like you were going to vote for Obama anyway."
I still stand by it I just didnt think it was a good reply. ;) And I wouldn't call the OT a board for gamers, I'd say at least half the OT is a causal game player at most.

Also Obama's stump speech has a line telling parents to turn off their kids video games.

tanod

when is my burrito
ToxicAdam said:
He probably views video games as a waste of time. I don't really argue with that.

For kids in school, I would tend to agree. They have much more important things they should be doing 95% of the time.

Diablos

Cheebs said:
And unlike say the gov. of ohio and PA Bayh more or less kept his mouth shut about attacking Obama. No weird moments for anti-Obama ads from him.

Bayh IMO is his best possible choice.

Lots of experience
From red state
White blue-collar support
Former Hillary guy to help with unity
Never is off message
Young, good looking guy makes a good picture with Obama
Both he and Obama would be a mid-west ticket with most swing states in the mid-west this helps

Only drawback is he isn't that charismatic, but Obama is so charismatic and affable it really is not something Obama needs (unlike Kerry who needed the friendly charisma of Edwards to make up for his aloofness)

06obama-531.jpg
VP picks don't really need to be charismatic.

Cheney has no charisma, Lieberman really didn't either, Gore had nothing on Clinton, Quayle was a complete moron, Bush Sr. had absolutely none, etc.

Bayh is probably the best pick. Lots of people have discussed the negatives of an all senator ticket but Bayh isn't the typical senator; he has executive experience, and as governor he managed to be very popular in a red state doing things like cutting taxes.

He initially supported the war though which bugs me, but I don't think it's much of a deal now. Limiting VP choices based on their Iraq votes/early opinions disqualifies a lot of good people. The economy is the more important issue, and while someone like Kaine is rather inexperienced in that regard Bayh totally fits the bill

Downside to Bayh is that since the state currently has a Republican governor, and Bayh himself is unusually popular for a Democrat in the state, him leaving the Senate would probably mean a long term loss of that seat. Basically, it would harm efforts to get as close to 60 as possible.

TDG

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Bayh is probably the best pick. Lots of people have discussed the negatives of an all senator ticket but Bayh isn't the typical senator; he has executive experience, and as governor he managed to be very popular in a red state doing things like cutting taxes.

He initially supported the war though which bugs me, but I don't think it's much of a deal now. Limiting VP choices based on their Iraq votes/early opinions disqualifies a lot of good people. The economy is the more important issue, and while someone like Kaine is rather inexperienced in that regard Bayh totally fits the bill
I agree with pretty much all of this. Bayh is definitely the best choice IMO. Though I would prefer others, such as Sebelius, Obama doesn't need a risky pick for VP.

It's a shame Biden isn;t in a good location and is likely to get himself in trouble with his mouth, or else he'd be a fairly good choice.

GhaleonEB

He voted for the war.

"....should never have been authorized and never been waged." is something Obama has said a good 200 times this election.

And speaking if which:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/u...ics&adxnnlx=1218548753-ZYosJLJ3jUPJRBMGyr6/eQ

Mr. Bayh's support of authorizing force in Iraq stands in sharp contrast to Mr. Obama's oft-stated view that he showed the good judgment to oppose the conflict from the start. After his vote, Mr. Bayh in early 2003 joined Mr. McCain as an honorary co-chairman of the Committee for the Liberation of Iraq, which made regime change in Iraq its central cause.

"He was not only wrong, he was aggressively wrong," said Tom Andrews, national director of the Win Without War coalition, referring to Mr. Bayh. "In my view, he would contradict if not undermine the Obama message of change, turning a new page on foreign policy and national security."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
McCain has a good taste in books, but his room is so blah. it kinda looks like what you would expect on a hollywood set but much more cluttered. looks good though.

I want the Barry Goldwater head and the plush toy.

Obama room looks so sheik, modernized but without a hint of hi-tech. it's classy in a GQ sort of way. Better than McCain's anyway.

Get rid of the Guitar though. I want the Thurgood Marshall painting.
Looks staged with regard to the books tbh. both campaigns would have known photos were being taken and could have prepared accordingly putting things in taking things out etc.

edit: not saying McCain doesn't like for whom the bell tolls or anything, I would just caution that I doubt these are "candid" shots.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He is a better role model than Lil' Wayne, so whatever

and PD pretty much said what needed to be said. The ads are dumb, and he shouldn't be playing this game. Bush didn't beat Kerry becuase Kerry didn't use attack ads on every fucking issue. he lost becuase Bush controlled the narrative throughout the entire race, and McCain has started to do the same.

McCain, the same man who said he doesn't understand the economy, has been putting Obama on the defensive lately.

Obama should be passing out shovels at McCain rallies

Get outta here with that BS talk. Obama has been leading the narritive too. It goes back and forth. The whole overseas trip was him controlling the narritive.

Then Mccain took it back with bitchassness ads about Obama being a celebrity. Now Obama is running a great economy ad during the Olympics and has called Mccain and his campaign liars.

And his campaign are calling the Mccain campaign liars. This is something most politicians don't do. So stop making it seem like Obama is straight responding to everything and doing nothing of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom