• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
reilo said:
:lol :lol

Olbermann brought up Wiki-gate.

Also, hearing Bush say that Russia must respect Georgia's sovereignty is hilarious times ten.

link please!
:eek:

Tamanon said:
So....I guess I'm having trouble connecting the dots on McCain's commercials. Obama promises more government spending but that means.....less jobs? It's not like government spending is just dumping the money into a shredder.

I can't when Obama makes an ad pointing out pretty much how many factual fuck ups the McCain camp has had in their ads. Its going to make McCain look either like a sleeze or an old fart who doesn't know what he is talking about.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I just got home and started going through this. I'm going to read the entire article, and all of the memos linked along the way.

The first big one, Penn's strategy memo after Clinton's reelection in 2006, is incredibly telling of their later strategy and how deeply they under-estimated Obama.

On strategy if he runs: "We have to transfer electability burden to him."

On his threat level if he did:

"We have to attract the base of the party - the most liberal, activist, difficult group of voters in America. Or not. We really only need neutralize them because time and time again they have not proven to be the real base of the party. The real base is of working class and middle class Americans, who feel left out of the new waves of prosperity they see around them.

*snip*

Kerry beat Dean. Gore easily defeated Bradley."

They were under-estimating Obama right from the initial strategy. And part of the strategy was to convince the activists that "you never would have started the war". Too bad she voted for it!

And twice so far Penn spelled Obama's first name as "Barak".
I just read the article. Holy shit, what a mess. It reminded me of a scenario where all of us are put in charge of a campaign, all of us with different ideas, and always happy to NEVER STOP ARGUING. I feel a bit sorry for HRC, but at the same time she really should've brought the hammer down on her unruly campaign.

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
I just read the article. Holy shit, what a mess. It reminded me of a scenario where all of us are put in charge of a campaign, all of us with different ideas, and always happy to NEVER STOP ARGUING. I feel a bit sorry for HRC, but at the same time she really should've brought the hammer down on her unruly campaign.
Seriously. It's mind boggling that they didn't even talk about a delgate strategy until late December 2007. Before then it was all about winning the early states.

Seriously, I think Clark and Sebelius would be weak picks for VP. Aside from any credentials they may bring to the table, they are severely lacking in charisma. Bayh is just as bad, although in his case he may be more likeable and may bring Indiana with him. Sebelius would just piss of Hillary supporters even more. And Wes Clark outside of his foreign policy credentials is honestly, boring.

Biden would be an interesting pick. If they can keep him on message, he would be a terrific veep. Too bad he isn't from a swing state otherwise he might be higher up in contention.

I'm glad Hillary is out. She brings too much drama to the ticket, period.

Kaine is another boring choice (with a bad haircut).

The media also jumped all Wes Clark regarding his statements about McCain as well so that doesn't bode well for his chances either.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
maximum360 said:
Seriously, I think Clark and Sebelius would be weak picks for VP. Aside from any credentials they may bring to the table, they are severely lacking in charisma. Bayh is just as bad, although in his case he may be more likeable and may bring Indiana with him. Sebelius would just piss of Hillary supporters even more. And Wes Clark outside of his foreign policy credentials is honestly, boring.

Biden would be an interesting pick. If they can keep him on message, he would be a terrific veep. Too bad he isn't from a swing state otherwise he might be higher up in contention.

I'm glad Hillary is out. She brings too much drama to the ticket, period.

Kaine is another boring choice (with a bad haircut).

The media also jumped all Wes Clark regarding his statements about McCain as well so that doesn't bode well for his chances either.

Clark is an elegant speaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2DKzastu8

Here he is on Countdown a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B48v5OBTqBo

tanod

when is my burrito
mamacint said:
That was taken pretty out of context. She pretty categorically said "No" right before that, just a case of the media creating a story that wasn't there.

No, it wasn't. It was a completely retarded thing to say considering she goes to prayer breakfasts with him and she should have apologized but conveniently never did.

tanod

when is my burrito
Karma Kramer said:
I really hope Obama wins, not only because I think he will be better for this country... but because I can't wait to spout the biggest "I told you so," to some of my family.

Why wait? I've been doing that to my family for three years about Bush.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
McCains new ads (the one, and the fan club taco bell one) look like they were put together by first year marketing students at a community college. Is this what he is offering America?

John McCain's campaign : Out of Touch :: Hillary Clinton's Campaign : Poorly Managed

Tamanon

Banned
You'd think if you're spending 6 million to air the ads during the Olympics you could maybe toss another 100k to the commercial itself.

Diablos

maximum360 said:
Wow. I'm hearing that CNN put it out there this morning that the Obama camp might have known about the Edward's scandal before JE came clean. When I think they can't get any worse CNN finds a new low daily.

I seriously think the only voice of reason there is Cafferty. I didn't always agree with Geoffrey Toobin but at least he seemed impartial as part of the evening panel with Gloria "McCain is a Maverick" Borger leaning to the right.
CNN is getting really, really bad.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
considering the vetting process and the rumors that existed before the final enquirer story broke out i think Obama's camp very well did know. it doesn't mean anything, and to infer that it does or would is beyond stupid. you know, like former team hil members blaming Edwards for their loss.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
scorcho said:
considering the vetting process and the rumors that existed before the final enquirer story broke out i think Obama's camp very well did know. it doesn't mean anything, and to infer that it does or would is beyond stupid. you know, like former team hil members blaming Edwards for their loss.

Yeah, but the vetting process didn't start up until AFTER each and every state had voted.

Besides, what is Obama to do? If he reveals Edwards' dirty laundry, he has to do it for every candidate they vetted.

BTW, Kucinich got some 30 or so votes during the 04 convention.

Wonder if any bitter Clinton supporters will cast votes for her?

Diablos

The Clinton Machine once again displaying amazing levels of stupidity. They should seriously shut up. Primary season is over, and has been over for a while now. Complaining does nothing to help your party's cause (not that you are seriously looking out for the party, of course).

I would have never thought in a million years that Bill and Hillary would have lumped together the biggest group of morons to run a Presidential campaign in a long, long time.

They were so brilliant in the 90's. Now...

Diablos

They were dumb for signing on such a gigantic fuckwit in the first place, though. Mr. Wolfson would not have his little Fox News Soapbox had the Clintons not went with his stupid ass. That's the point.

Xeke

Banned
scorcho said:

Not to mention I'm sure Hillary knew nothing of it.:D

GhaleonEB

Rur0ni said:
Wow at that Atlantic article. Ickes was on the fuckin' ball.
Yup. I just finished reading it, and picked up a lot of respect for him. He still should have been sounding the alarm on the delegate strategy sooner - he was the first to do so, in December when it was far too late - but it would have been a lot closer had the campaign heeded his input. Penn really comes across as a fucking moron.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I just finished reading it, and picked up a lot of respect for him. He still should have been sounding the alarm on the delegate strategy sooner - he was the first to do so, in December when it was far too late - but it would have been a lot closer had the campaign heeded his input. Penn really comes across as a fucking moron.

True dat. The guy (Ickes) said some pretty nasty during the Florigan debacle but I have a lot more respect for him now.

I blame the bunker mentality fostered by Mark Penn for the amount of seriously stupid things that got said in the last half of the campaign. That, and HRC's apparent complete lack of understanding of how to manage people and conflict. She was the anti-decider.

I can't believe the campaign was virtually bankrupt before Iowa even happened.

WTF! :O

Rur0ni said:
Wow at that Atlantic article. Ickes was on the fuckin' ball.
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I just finished reading it, and picked up a lot of respect for him.
The article may paint him in a good light, but after seeing him throw a hissy fit at the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting I can't respect him just because he happened to see the writing on the wall a little earlier than other people in the campaign who were too preoccupied with petty bickering to see past the end of their own noses. He acted like a petulant child when the committee voted on resolutions for Michigan and Florida.

Currently reading the Atlantic piece on the Clinton campaign; very interesting stuff so far.

Outside of that big Time piece that came out a couple months ago or so there haven't been many insider pieces on the Obama camp to my knowledge; I'd imagine they'll flood in after the election. Plus iirc I heard something about a huge War Room-esque documentary being shot or Obama?

I'd sure hope Ickes knew what he was doing considering he the nominating process as we now know it was conceived in part by Ickes as a reaction to the backroom dealing, party leader coronations that took place prior to 68'.

GhaleonEB

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The article may paint him in a good light, but after seeing him throw a hissy fit at the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting I can't respect him just because he happened to see the writing on the wall a little earlier than other people in the campaign who were too preoccupied with petty bickering to see past the end of their own noses. He acted like a petulant child when the committee voted on resolutions for Michigan and Florida.
Bear in mind, I wasn't talking about him personally. Just as a strategist. :p
DEO3 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dioQamJC5vw

For the first 30 seconds you'll be wondering just what the fuck you're watching, and then.. holy shit.
This is amazing. :lol

lopaz said:
Meh. Could have used some awesomely contradictory Mccain clips to illustrate the lurching point. Also the celebrity angle, not needed. Makes the whole exchange seem childish.
Is doing a number of things in this ad -

1) Point out the hypocracy of McCain running with the "celebrity" angle
2) Reiterate McCain as changing his positions when it appeals politically
3) Tie him to lobbyists (again)
4) Tie him to Bush (again)

It's kind of scattershot. I'd like to have seen a more focused approach, but this is really just fodder for the cable news talking heads; it's only running on the cable channels.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Lurching to the right. Lurching to the left. Wow.

I can't wait for the Repubs outrage on behalf of Differently-Walking Americans once this airs.

AniHawk

lopaz said:
Meh. Could have used some awesomely contradictory Mccain clips to illustrate the lurching point. Also the celebrity angle, not needed. Makes the whole exchange seem childish.

Agreed on both points, but at the very least he actually takes him to task on the things he's done instead of using just popularity as an attack.

It's mudslinging though, and that's what I don't like.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What would you prefer? Kerry's mewling, pathetic non-defense? If McCain wants to go this route, Obama can burn him with an ad that

- doesn't look like it was thrown together with Ulead DVD Studio 6
- reminds voters that McCain's carried Bush's policies in near lockstep like a porter carries luggage

My old man always told me never to go looking for a fight with anyone, but if somebody brings one to you, make sure they regret that decision to the fullest. Squelching this horseshit immediately - and if this is what they're leading with instead of actual policy discussion, you can end this race now - is paramount to staying on course and demonstrating that this particular Democrat has some balls. Unlike certain examples from the past.

I'm just saying. A disinterested Canadian observer, nothing more.

I agree that echoing the awful McCain ads isn't the way to respond. Obama's team needs to stop reacting to every trivial accusation the McCain camp makes and work to define the real issues and focus on sane policy. Obama is at his best when he touches on truly pertinent issues and by virtue of contrast shows better judgment, not when he's trying to combat the farcical image his opponents try to paint of him. You can't raise the level of discourse if you're constantly reacting to pointless mudslinging.

"No distractions", right? It's what set Obama apart in the first place.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I agree that echoing the awful McCain ads isn't the way to respond. Obama's team needs to stop reacting to every trivial accusation the McCain camp makes and work to define the real issues and focus on sane policy. Obama is at his best when he touches on truly pertinent issues and by virtue of contrast shows better judgment, not when he's trying to combat the farcical image his opponents try to paint of him. You can't raise the level of discourse if you're constantly reacting to pointless mudslinging.

"No distractions", right? It's what set Obama apart in the first place.

Except the 'celebrity' accusation doesn't seem to be so trivial as it's gaining traction on cable news, and possibly on internal polls, as they keep bringing it up, so an equal response seems necessary.

Deku

Banned
So this new Ad by Obama may hurt Obama because he stooped to a very low level? This is the consensus?

I've been watching this race since the primaries with great interest and I'm seriously going to be very sad if he implodes from such amateurish jabbing from McCain.

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:
Except the 'celebrity' accusation doesn't seem to be so trivial as it's gaining traction on cable news, and possibly on internal polls, as they keep bringing it up, so an equal response seems necessary.
No it isn't. The reason why that news story is still running is becuase the people following this thing, and eating every fucking word, like poligaf does is still talking about it. Most Americans don't care. Obama has been linked to celebrities and glamour for a while, so making an ad like that is just a waste of time and is incredibily transparent.

If Obama wants to move past this, than he needs to set the next issue instead of just waiting to be attacked with oil pumps and flights around the world.

Door2Dawn

Banned
So when Obama doesn't fight back you guys start freaking out and saying how he needs to do this and that.

But when he does hits back,it hurts him because he is hitting to hard?

He seriously can't win with some of you people.

So what do you guys think about Barack Obama being popular in the hood? I went to Cedar Point over the weekend and saw a lot of gangsta's wearing oversized Obama shirts. I think its a good thing tbqh. He is a better gangsta icon then say Tupac. Its actually quite interesting to see all this happening.

While the response is definitely of better quality than McCain's original it seems like a bad move because it merely reacts to that ad and - more importantly - validates it. In short McCain is driving the narrative and Obama has decided to play along. If McCain is teflon when it comes to "third term" strategies I don't see how this will stick. The more personal ads concerning job loss in Ohio for instance seem more effective because they're a factual punch in the face, plus they dismantle McCain's armor emotionally.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
That's baloney, if you'll pardon my saying so. Obama won the primaries because he was smart enough to take the gossip surrounding him at various points and turn it into a platform for wider messages that are actually relevant to our standing as a country. Knee jerk "NO U!" responses to the McCain camp's desperate claims is tantamount to letting them define the tone of the general election, which is the worst possible scenario. Responding to factual policy based issues is one thing; smears another. The proper response would be running a campaign so much tighter and more focused that McCain's campaign is seen as it is; floundering in the dark. You can't successfully convey a "change" message and a "me too" message simultaneously. That doesn't mean rolling over like Kerry, it means hitting the republicans back harder on more substantive matters. Leave the petty stuff to them.

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
So what do you guys think about Barack Obama being popular in the hood? I went to Cedar Point over the weekend and saw a lot of gangsta's wearing oversized Obama shirts. I think its a good thing tbqh. He is a better gangsta icon then say Tupac. Its actually quite interesting to see all this happening.
He is a better role model than Lil' Wayne, so whatever

and PD pretty much said what needed to be said. The ads are dumb, and he shouldn't be playing this game. Bush didn't beat Kerry becuase Kerry didn't use attack ads on every fucking issue. he lost becuase Bush controlled the narrative throughout the entire race, and McCain has started to do the same.

McCain, the same man who said he doesn't understand the economy, has been putting Obama on the defensive lately.

Obama should be passing out shovels at McCain rallies

Well, when I said it's getting some traction, that's what I meant: it's gotten people on cable talking and it must have had some positive effect on polling or they would have dropped the attack already.

Also, other than the clips and the first few seconds, the ad really is another McCain = Third Bush Term ad, and as an extension of that, McCain is and has changed his position in order to get the presidency (a charge McCain has also lifted against Obama recently.)

It's not like this is the main axis of the campaign (like McCain seems to be doing) and Obama has put out some solid issue based attack ads (the Ohio DHL one and the Nevada nuclear waste one). This one was more of a small scale response in order to get those talking heads on cable contrasting McCain's claims with reality instead of having a lopsided message with McCain controlling the entire narrative, at least with regards with this 'issue' (which McCain contrived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom