• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

masud

Banned
The willful ignorance about the history of race relations in this country is stunning to me. Obama's polling numbers with black people are completely understandable and for the most part it has nothing to do with "black racism".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
half a moon said:
racism includes racial prejudices which is making a decision about something before becoming aware of facts.

so when you don't want to vote for a white person because they are white and only want to vote for a black person because they are black then it IS racism. you are only seeing color and not who is the better person based on thier actions and goals.

In this case you would be right. That would make those black people racist. But lets get one thing straight here. Blacks vote DEM over REP 4 to 1. So its not like Black people would decide not to vote for a white man because he's white.

What do you think we have been voting for our entire lives? White people of course. And are some of you guys mad that Obama might get over 90% of the black vote?

half a moon said:
so when you don't want to vote for a white person because they are white and only want to vote for a black person because they are black then it IS racism.

Not wanting to vote for someone because they're white is an entirely distinct and separate issue from wanting to vote for someone because they're black. The former is inherently born of racial prejudice, the latter can be but is not inherently.

There's a rather significant social and cultural watermark effect generated by a member of a historically oppressed group achieving the nation's highest office for the first time which makes a certain measure of race-driven support legitimate where it would not be for, say, white males (who have not been historically oppressed and who have members of their demographic as President all the time.)

There's also a factor of group-relevant issues: there may be issues which affect a minority group more directly, which you might believe a member of said group would address more effectively or directly. (Look at the number of women who supported Hillary due to her strong stances on reproductive health issues as an example.)

I don't think there are actually that many people voting for Obama out of racial prejudice against whites, since said people would pretty much by definition never have voted in a Presidential election before. There are almost certainly people making a choice for Obama in superficial ways, although that doesn't meaningfully separate him from any other candidate who received support based on superficial, irrelevant qualities.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
charlequin said:

Ah, the double standard/understanding the context angle. Sort of like how it's ok for McCain to have cheated on his wife because he was a returning POW?

I'm not even saying that I don't understand WHY black people will vote for Obama, but it is what it is.

And are some of you guys mad that Obama might get over 90% of the black vote?

I'm not, we're talking about WHY that is.

Voting based mainly on the race of the candidate is racist. If the color of candidates skin is what matters to you then you are pretty damn stupid.

maynerd

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Voting based mainly on the race of the candidate is racist. If the color of candidates skin is what matters to you then you are pretty damn stupid.

It's a good thing that stupid people don't vote then.

Banned
charlequin said:
Not wanting to vote for someone because they're white is an entirely distinct and separate issue from wanting to vote for someone because they're black. The former is inherently born of racial prejudice, the latter can be but is not inherently.

There's a rather significant social and cultural watermark effect generated by a member of a historically oppressed group achieving the nation's highest office for the first time which makes a certain measure of race-driven support legitimate where it would not be for, say, white males (who have not been historically oppressed and who have members of their demographic as President all the time.)

There's also a factor of group-relevant issues: there may be issues which affect a minority group more directly, which you might believe a member of said group would address more effectively or directly. (Look at the number of women who supported Hillary due to her strong stances on reproductive health issues as an example.)

I don't think there are actually that many people voting for Obama out of racial prejudice against whites, since said people would pretty much by definition never have voted in a Presidential election before. There are almost certainly people making a choice for Obama in superficial ways, although that doesn't meaningfully separate him from any other candidate who received support based on superficial, irrelevant qualities.
Like I said before, to many black people this is about pride in one's race.

The problem is there is a double standard in that pride. if a white guy says he is proud to be white and is voting McCain, people get suspicious. It's a tricky road, but I can see the argument someone can make that a black obama supporter voting out of race and color isn't very different from a McCain supporter voting out of race and color.

Of course i don't think most voters are like that, and It's why I get so pissed when people simplify McCain fanbase as just being full of closet racists.

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:
In this case you would be right. That would make those black people racist. But lets get one thing straight here. Blacks vote DEM over REP 4 to 1. So its not like Black people would decide not to vote for a white man because he's white.

What do you think we have been voting for our entire lives? White people of course. And are some of you guys mad that Obama might get over 90% of the black vote?

Right, but as you said on the last page
mckmas8808 said:
No cot damn! Because they just never cared to vote for whatever reason.

My point is some black people never voted before because they didn't care to, but now they feel inspired to because a black man is voting.

That doesn't make them racist.

In other words, for SOME blacks (I never used the words all blacks, or most blacks, or anything close to suggesting this is generally true of all blacks) it's a matter of racism. They refused to vote before because they didn't want to support a white candidate, and now they are voting for a black candidate. Because he's black.

mckmas8808

charlequin said:

THANK YOU!!! *kisses him/her on cheek*

I couldnt have said it better.

mckmas8808

Karma Kramer said:

So are the people that voted for Hillary because shes a woman, sexist?

Are the people that voted for JFK because he was a catholic, bigots?

Are the people that will vote for Mccain because he is older than 65, ageist?

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:
THANK YOU!!! *kisses him/her on cheek*

I couldnt have said it better.

You didn't.

mckmas8808 said:
No cot damn! Because they just never cared to vote for whatever reason.

My point is some black people never voted before because they didn't care to, but now they feel inspired to because a black man is voting.

That doesn't make them racist.

charlequin said:

numble

Gaborn said:

In other words, for SOME blacks (I never used the words all blacks, or most blacks, or anything close to suggesting this is generally true of all blacks) it's a matter of racism. They refused to vote before because they didn't want to support a white candidate, and now they are voting for a black candidate. Because he's black.
How many new black voters have you actually talked to? As somebody who's been out in the field in 4 states so far, I have NEVER encountered this thought process among new black registrants, and I've registered a ton of them. The pitch to get new people to register (regardless of race) is usually a combination of explaining how every vote actually does matter and how much a difference it is between who gets into office. It is the strong field plan, not some strange notion of reverse black racism that is the reason why the campaign is churning out gigantic numbers of new registrants.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
mckmas8808 said:
So are the people that voted for Hillary because shes a woman, sexist?

Are the people that voted for JFK because he was a catholic, bigots?

Are the people that will vote for Mccain because he is older than 65, ageist?

Yes, Yes, and ....................yep.

mckmas8808

Gaborn said:

I see why people get pissed when they talk to you. I never said those black people didnt vote because they didnt like white folks.

GhaleonEB

Gaborn said:
You need to bear this in mind: Kerry won ~88% of the black vote in 2004. Blacks are overwhelmingly Democrats already. So Obama's ~95% support isn't that much of a swing.

I mention this to try and provide some measureable behind the "some" in this statement. While that's a factor, I think it's pretty small.

The problem is there is a double standard in that pride. if a white guy says he is proud to be white and is voting McCain, people get suspicious. It's a tricky road, but I can see the argument someone can make that a black obama supporter voting out of race and color isn't very different from a McCain supporter voting out of race and color.

showing any semblance of pride in being white will have you flogged and castrated

Kusagari

Gaborn said:

Wow that's a pretty big ass leap of logic. They REFUSED to vote because they didn't want to support a black candidate? Just because Obama got some blacks to vote doesn't mean it's racism for them. It just means they care more. It's like saying young people are biased against old uncharismatic people because Obama inspires them to vote unlike Kerry or Gore.

ShOcKwAvE

Basing any decision on a person's race, regardless of whether your race has a history of oppression, is racism.

If a black votes for a black because he is black, that's racist.
If a black votes for a white because he is white, that's racist.
If a white votes for a white because he is white, that's racist.
If a white votes for a black because he is black, that's racist.

Let's be clear: voting based on race doesn't mean you hate the other race, it just means you think the outcome will be better if one wins over the other. Socially, some people (myself included) want Obama to win in part because it will destroy the imaginary barrier that blacks in the USA can achieve the highest office. For me it's a little like, "let's do this so I can stop hearing about the barrier." In other words, once a black person holds the office, people will know that it has always been possible. Of course his race is the last reason I am voting for him, but I don't deny that it adds something to the decision.

Edit - I also want to apologize for continuing to veer this thread off politics toward racism, but I wanted to add $.02

Gaborn

GhaleonEB said:
You need to bear this in mind: Kerry won ~88% of the black vote in 2004. Blacks are overwhelmingly Democrats already. So Obama's ~95% support isn't that much of a swing.

I mention this to try and provide some measureable behind the "some" in this statement. While that's a factor, I think it's pretty small.

And I never said otherwise. About 3 pages back I replied to someone who was sardonically wondering why Obama hadn't secured racists whites with a comment that he had already secured racist blacks. I made no mention of numbers of racist blacks, but I feel comfortable in claiming a majority of them are supporting Obama, and they're probably a small portion of the total black vote, but they're there.

Banned
Kusagari said:
Wow that's a pretty big ass leap of logic. They REFUSED to vote because they didn't want to support a black candidate? Just because Obama got some blacks to vote doesn't mean it's racism for them. It just means they care more. It's like saying young people are biased against old uncharismatic people because Obama inspires them to vote unlike Kerry or Gore.
huh?

and there is a lot of young people who hate old people. Just read the primary threads

"Old people shouldn't be allowed to vote"
"Old people should always fuck up. Fucking racists"
"Old people should die"

etc etc

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Anyone that believes that the black population wouldn't have voted for the democratic candidate - no matter what their race - with a 90% majority are just fooling themselves.

Banned
reilo said:
Anyone that believes that the black population wouldn't have voted for the democratic candidate - no matter what their race - with a 90% majority are just fooling themselves.
If Obama lost, After Hillary commented on MLK, after her accusations of sexism, after john Edwards...

And I don't think it's a question of where black people will vote, but the amount

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, this is a very good point. Also, Hillary Clinton would likely have gotten well over 90% of the black vote. Closer to Barrack's 95% given the popularity they have (had?) with blacks, especially Bill.

1. What are you called if you vote for Obama because he was born in the same state of Hawaii?

2. What about voting for Obama if you are a White Sox fan?

3. What about voting for hime because Michelle Oh Mama?

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
1. What are you called if you vote for Obama because he was born in the same state of Hawaii?

1. Sexy
2. Traitor
3. Homewrecker

Smiles and Cries said:

statist
soxist
stalker

surprsingly a lot of hillary's super delegates were black. sheila lee jackson, that young congressman from ohio, others.

anecdotal evidence ahoy but a i know some black voters who didnt vote for O in the primaries. so it may not be quite the landslide it'd seem.

VanMardigan said:
Ah, the double standard/understanding the context angle. Sort of like how it's ok for McCain to have cheated on his wife because he was a returning POW?

No, not really. Most reasonable people understand both that context is vital for understanding all situations in life, and that some contexts do in fact alter the ethical vaue of actions while others do not. Conservative moral principles acknowledge this just as much as liberal ones (for example, self-defense or defense of personal property as a mitigating factor in assault is a principle based entirely on context) but for some reason it's still a conservative talking point to call out context as irrelevant.

Black Americans considering it a benefit that Obama is black is justified by context because the things America's society and government have done historically to blacks due to their race have yet to be fully systematically remedied, and therefore a black President would be a huge symbolic victory. When it represents only a greater appreciation for a specific candidate rather than a disguise for active dislike of a different demographic, this sort of affinity politics isn't inherently dangerous or wrong: it's okay for Southerners to like a candidate better because he's from the South, or Irish Catholics to have an affinity for JFK, or for young people to support Obama as the "young candidate," the same way. It just doesn't make sense for someone to be like "I like this candidate because he's a white guy" because every candidate in history is a white guy.

McCain's actions aren't justified by the context because they have nothing to do with each other. :lol His marital vows were a promise to his wife not to harm her with disrespectful and deceitful behavior, and nothing about him being a POW impacts that. Context that changed this situation would have to apply to the relationship itself -- for example, very few people would as harshly criticize someone who cheated after enduring repeated philandering by their spouse.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
showing any semblance of pride in being white will have you flogged and castrated

Pride is a kind of silly word to use in the context of being white, because "black pride" was a term invented in response to an explicit government program of belittling and discriminating against blacks. The idea was that instead of listening to the segregationist government when it told blacks to be ashamed, they should instead be proud because they were just as good as whites. It was also a way of inventing a new ancestral identity for American blacks because most were the descendants of slaves, which meant that their actual nation of origin, family names, etc. had been stripped away.

The other problem with "white pride" is that it doesn't mean much because white is such a huge category. You'll note that almost no one will get on someone's case for having "Irish pride," "Italian pride," "German pride," or any other pride in a specific ancestral identity, even when that identity is one made up entirely of "white" people.

masud

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:
Basing any decision on a person's race, regardless of whether your race has a history of oppression, is racism.

If a black votes for a black because he is black, that's racist.
If a black votes for a white because he is white, that's racist.
If a white votes for a white because he is white, that's racist.
If a white votes for a black because he is black, that's racist.

Let's be clear: voting based on race doesn't mean you hate the other race, it just means you think the outcome will be better if one wins over the other. Socially, some people (myself included) want Obama to win in part because it will destroy the imaginary barrier that blacks in the USA can achieve the highest office. For me it's a little like, "let's do this so I can stop hearing about the barrier." In other words, once a black person holds the office, people will know that it has always been possible. Of course his race is the last reason I am voting for him, but I don't deny that it adds something to the decision.

Edit - I also want to apologize for continuing to veer this thread off politics toward racism, but I wanted to add $.02
:lol
And Gaborn even your initial joke is wrong. Most black racists wouldn't vote for Obama or anyone because that would make them a willing participant in Amerikkkan government.

charlequin said:
Pride is a kind of silly word to use in the context of being white, because "black pride" was a term invented in response to an explicit government program of belittling and discriminating against blacks. The idea was that instead of listening to the segregationist government when it told blacks to be ashamed, they should instead be proud because they were just as good as whites. It was also a way of inventing a new ancestral identity for American blacks because most were the descendants of slaves, which meant that their actual nation of origin, family names, etc. had been stripped away.

The other problem with "white pride" is that it doesn't mean much because white is such a huge category. You'll note that almost no one will get on someone's case for having "Irish pride," "Italian pride," "German pride," or any other pride in a specific ancestral identity, even when that identity is one made up entirely of "white" people.

yeah i know what you mean. but in modern times black pride is more about respecting where you came from ancestrally. if you watch those black pride forums on cspan they teach young blacks that you should take pride in your african heritage and what have you.

proud of your anglo saxon roots? ruh oh.

i mean, i don't care either way. but there's a double standard. and its not just blacks, it goes with asians, hispanics, ect ect. i remember this girl in high school wrote asian pride on her backpack and i busted laughing knowing that if somebody wrote "white pride" on theirs they'd be called into the office.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
charlequin said:

Alright, so this time it's ok for them, but what about the election after that? Or the one after that? Is there any point at which you would think that blacks voting for a presidential candidate BECAUSE he/she is black won't be justified? Or is there an eternal free pass for them to vote for black presidential candidates now? I think that's the problem when you try to rationalize double standards.

If you believe a black presidential candidate is entitled to 95% plus of the black vote from here on out because there is a context for them to do so, I'll disagree.

masud

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
yeah i know what you mean. but in modern times black pride is more about respecting where you came from ancestrally.
No, black pride is and always has been a reaction to the notion that black people are inferior. The respecting ancestry aspect is an attempt to regain the culture and history black people were deprived of.
VanMardigan said:
Alright, so this time it's ok for them, but what about the election after that? Or the one after that? Is there any point at which you would think that blacks voting for a presidential candidate BECAUSE he/she is black won't be justified? Or is there an eternal free pass for them to vote for black presidential candidates now? I think that's the problem when you try to rationalize double standards.

If you believe a black presidential candidate is entitled to 95% plus of the black vote from here on out because there is a context for them to do so, I'll disagree.
Eternal free pass? You do realize that allot of the people that fought in the civil rights movement are still alive right?

Gaborn

masud said:
:lol
And Gaborn even your initial joke is wrong. Most black racists wouldn't vote for Obama or anyone because that would make them a willing participant in Amerikkkan government.

Ok, even if we accept that as true, how about this statement? "of the black racists that will vote for President of the United States, a majority will support Obama rather than McCain"

but how is Obama black?

would it not be racist to call Obama black since the guy had a white mother?

I just don't get this whole racial thing... its like people are really strange about it.

If you are so busy posting away that blacks voting for Obama is racist then in the same stupid judgement calling a man who had a white mother black should be considered racist no?

:D

damn this thread make my head hurt

masud

Banned
Gaborn said:
Ok, even if we accept that as true, how about this statement? "of the black racists that will vote for President of the United States, a majority will support Obama rather than McCain"
Yes, I guess you are right about those couple dozen people.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
masud said:
Eternal free pass? You do realize that allot of the people that fought in the civil rights movement are still alive right?

You missed my point, but I'll bite.

Ok, so they're still alive, so now we wait until they are all dead before we can call voting because of race by black people racist? Or do we wait 50 years after they have died? What is the ratio, the rationale, the formula for deciding when that action would be racist?

Again, that's the problem with applying double standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom