• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Tamanon said:
No....there's no fucking way McCain would do that?

No way.
I'm not surprised at all.

The funny thing is that he's saying this isn't the time for politics, even though in the back of his mind he's hoping this will help him score some political points.

And, how cute, his best buddies, Senators Graham and Lieberman are going. Aww.

Tamanon

Banned
It was pretty funny how the Republican guy was hammering Obama for his initial statements calling for peace. "That's what most people would do, and thus it shows his inexperience"

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Frank the Great said:
Bill Kristol is saying on FOX News that Colin Powell will endorse Obama at the Democratic National Convention.

Woah woah woah woah. This is Bill Kristol we're talking about here. Take a deep breath, and think about this for a moment.

It's convention day.

"I was told a few weeks ago that Colin Powell was suppose to endorse Obama at the convention, but he hasn't! Did Colin Powell have a change of heart? Maybe he realized that Obama simply isn't fit to be president."

LCGeek

formerly sane
DarkMage619 said:
Does anyone else notice that many times when places are shot up out of protest it seems to be people pushing conservative values? What about being conservative makes you want to go out and hurt people? I have never heard of a pro-choice person shooting up a hospital because a woman decided to give birth. I am sure you have all heard about doctors being killed for performing abortions.

Pres. Bush is under no major threat to his person or even threat of losing his job for leading us into a war that wasted billions of dollars, hurt American prestiege, cost thousands of American lives and maybe hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives but people out there are threating Obama for... running for president? What sort of world do we live in?

The Dark One

Look at the practice of conservatism. Essentially not changing the course, to stay as is. They are threatened because it represents change they do not want. Does this make all with conservative mindset dangerous, not in the least, but when pushed in a such a direct way it's gonna cause problems.

GhaleonEB said:
It's a good cycle.
1) President of Georgia tells his paid lobbyist what to tell McCain
2) McCain says it
3) President of Georgia quotes McCain
So basically, he's quoting himself, McCain is just the proxy.

In defense of McCain, we shouldn't just assume that he is spouting paid-for talking points. After all, the guy is an ex-lobbyist for Georgia. However, McCain might want to say that the ex-lobbyist is abstaining from advising on the matter due to his lingering conflict of interest.

And it really does not reflect well on the McCain campaign how many of his advisors are lobbyists. IMHO, it reflects rather poorly. It really makes it look like he is for sale. He's the lobbyist friendly candidate.

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
In defense of McCain, we shouldn't just assume that he is spouting paid-for talking points. After all, the guy is an ex-lobbyist for Georgia. However, McCain might want to say that the ex-lobbyist is abstaining from advising on the matter due to his lingering conflict of interest.

And it really does not reflect well on the McCain campaign how many of his advisors are lobbyists. IMHO, it reflects rather poorly. It really makes it look like he is for sale. He's the lobbyist friendly candidate.
I was mostly being facetious. Just pointing out his conflict of interest in this situation.
thefro said:
http://www.demconvention.com/the-2008-convention-tuesday-august-26th-renewing-america-s-promise/

Sebelius speaking Tuesday night at the Convention, so RIP her VP chances.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tamanon

Banned
speculawyer said:

While he is an ex-lobbyist, his partner still is lobbying for Georgia, and they're a 2-person operation. :p

And conservatism doesn't lay claim to violence solely, remember that there also were liberal bombings and such a while ago.

DarkMage619 said:
Does anyone else notice that many times when places are shot up out of protest it seems to be people pushing conservative values? What about being conservative makes you want to go out and hurt people? I have never heard of a pro-choice person shooting up a hospital because a woman decided to give birth. I am sure you have all heard about doctors being killed for performing abortions.

Pres. Bush is under no major threat to his person or even threat of losing his job for leading us into a war that wasted billions of dollars, hurt American prestiege, cost thousands of American lives and maybe hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives but people out there are threating Obama for... running for president? What sort of world do we live in?

The kind of world where talking about peace is always a dangerous message that can get you killed. Just ask Anwar Sadat, Ghandhi, MLK, Yitzhak Rabin, and Jesus Christ.

I am almost certain its either going to be Biden or Clark. "Securing America's Future" is always used in relation to foreign policy issues in Obama's campaign... and Clark/Biden are the two big foreign policy candidates.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, I’ve been talking to Senator McCain several times a day, and he has been very reassuring. He has been really helpful in raising our morale. You know, I think he spends less time on his presidential campaign these days and lots of time on Georgia, and I really appreciate that, because Senator McCain has been fighting for freedom of Georgia for many, many years. He understands every issue involved here. He understands what are fighting for, and the same for Senator Obama. And I think it's very important to understand that these are still candidates, but every word of support, every word of sympathy, every word of outcry in the world really helps.

From the Georgian Prez.......this is really, really weird, and Obama would be burned at the stake if he even approached this level.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
From the Georgian Prez.......this is really, really weird, and Obama would be burned at the stake if he even approached this level.
Seriously. Obama said during his trip through Europe that the US "only has one president at a time". Someone needs to let McCain know. It's beyond presumptuous to be sending a political campaign's delegation over to Georgia.

laserbeam

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Seriously. Obama said during his trip through Europe that the US "only has one president at a time". Someone needs to let McCain know. It's beyond presumptuous to be sending a political campaign's delegation over to Georgia.

To be fair both of them serve on the Committee that does the kind of thing they are going over to do. He is simply using them doing their job as a Campaign talking point.
Its politics and in politics talking points is what wins voters over.

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:
To be fair both of them serve on the Committee that does the kind of thing they are going over to do. He is simply using them doing their job as a Campaign talking point.
Its politics and in politics talking points is what wins voters over.

I dunno, the Armed Services Committee is a bit out of its league since we don't have any armed services or defense personnel over there. Plus, McCain isn't the head of the committee. It's still being quite presumptuous, especially since the Sec of State is heading over there now.

Frank the Great said:
Bill Kristol is saying on FOX News that Colin Powell will endorse Obama at the Democratic National Convention.

Powell tells ABC News: “I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol’s musings. I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear.”

http://thepage.time.com/2008/08/13/kristol-colin-powell-to-endorse-obama/
kristol, shut down, once again

what powell DOESN'T say is that he won't be endorsing Obama, or anything like that. he very specifically says that he won't be going to the convention, that is all...

laserbeam

Banned
Tamanon said:
I dunno, the Armed Services Committee is a bit out of its league since we don't have any armed services or defense personnel over there. Plus, McCain isn't the head of the committee. It's still being quite presumptuous, especially since the Sec of State is heading over there now.

Armed Forces arrived in Georgia this morning and have been there frequently training etc but I do agree with you to an extent. It really is just a pointless talking point considering their going over there means nothing for his campaign as they are Senators with a job.

Mccain is just trying to push the I am the better handler of foreign policy bit

Warner Pick for Convention May Signal Sidelines for Kaine

The choice of former Virginia governor Mark R. Warner to give the Tuesday night keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention is likely to spark a fresh round of speculation about Sen. Barack Obama's vice presidential choice.

Warner's selection is unlikely to be good news for current Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, who has been a finalist for the running mate job. The prospect of two Virginia governors giving speeches on successive nights at the convention is thought to be unlikely.

Obama's running mate, whoever it is, is scheduled to give the keynote on Wednesday.

A source close to Kaine said Tuesday night -- before this morning's announcement about Warner -- that the governor had seemed glum, and believed that he would "get the silver medal" in the vice presidential sweepstakes.

Obama's decision to make security the theme of Tuesday night during the convention is also seen by tea leaf readers as a subtle hint that Kaine and other governors without foreign policy credentials might be less likely choices.

Warner, who preceded Kaine in Virginia's Executive Mansion, is not known for being an especially dynamic speaker. In an e-mail, Obama said Campaign Manager David Plouffe focused on Warner's background as a business executive.

"Like Barack Obama, Mark Warner is not afraid to challenge the status quo to bring people together and get things moving," Plouffe said. "It's that kind of spirit and innovation that resulted in his selection as keynote speaker on a night when we will be discussing how
to renew America's promise."

For Warner, the national profile will help his already lopsided Senate race against former governor James S.Gilmore III. For Obama, the choice might help win in Virginia, a true battleground state in the presidential race for the first time in decades.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/th...ner_pick_for_convention_may.html?hpid=topnews

CLARK
CLARK
CLARK
CLARK
CLARK

Xisiqomelir

thefro said:
http://www.demconvention.com/the-2008-convention-tuesday-august-26th-renewing-america-s-promise/

Sebelius speaking Tuesday night at the Convention, so RIP her VP chances.

darth_vader_nooo.jpeg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wesley_Clark_speaking01.jpg

"I believe I can fly"

wesley-clark-2004-763882.jpg

"I believe I can touch the sky"

wesleyclark.jpg

"I think about it every night and day"

WesleyClarkSpeech.jpg

"Spread my wings and flyyyy aawaaaaay"

Cheebs

I dont think ANY newsoutlet ever speculated on Clark. Not even once. Only gaf and the bloggers have.

Meaning? Don't expect it kids. Foreign policy guy that got all the buzz was Biden.

Cheebs said:
I dont think ANY newsoutlet ever speculated on Clark. Not even once. Only gaf and the bloggers have.

Meaning? Don't expect it kids. Foreign policy guy that got all the buzz was Biden.

I agree... its probably going to be Biden... but one can wish...

Biden would be awesome too though.

IMG_1380.jpg

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:

I don't put much stock on the news outlets' insight into the Obama search process.

reilo

Mind you, I've been asking about the possibility of Clark as Obama's VP before all of the primaries even ended.

I've been steering this bandwagon for a long time, and goddammit, I ain't giving up!

Biden has the issue of voting for the war and having a diarrhea come out of his mouth on more than one occasion.

Clark's biggest problem was that he dared to ask what qualifies McCain as CIC.

woeds

Karma Kramer said:
I agree... its probably going to be Biden... but one can wish...

Biden would be awesome too though.

IMG_1380.jpg
I just lolled...no idea why :lol funny pic.

Clark would be a great choice though. He's a good speaker and very knowledgeable.

Cheebs said:
I dont think ANY newsoutlet ever speculated on Clark. Not even once.
I think they did until he came out and slammed McCain with the (emminently logical but no so politically correct) "Getting shot down doesn't qualify you for president" remark.

(BTW, I still think it is amazing how little known is the fact that McCain has lost five (5!) US aircraft. He's gonna lose AirForceOne if he's elected! :lol )

Personally I think there's more of a chance that Clark gets picked than Biden. Biden is definitely in the running for Secretary of State. Biden or Kerry likely. But I really doubt Biden will be the VP choice.

reilo

Isn't it great though that Obama is able to dismiss potential VP picks based on one or two very minor things, as opposed to McCain's possible Veeps choices which got a laundry list of problems?

Would any of us really be distraught if Obama picked any of the following: Clark, Biden, Sebellius, Kaine, etc?

reilo

WTF CNN?

"Is the Russia-Georgia conflict the start of a new Cold War?"

What in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom