• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So now leading by 8 points in a state isn't enough? And why do people keep saying Obama can't close the deal?

How can he close the deal or make it home without people actually voting?

People voting won't be enough. This is going to carry-on past Election Day, even once it's apparent that he'll be the next President.

It'll be during live coverage of the electors voting in December. During the state-by-state roll call, we'll still see pundits still whining about how he still "has yet to close the deal." Well, at least until his number actually crosses 269..

gkryhewy

HylianTom said:
People voting won't be enough. This is going to carry-on past Election Day, even once it's apparent that he'll be the next President.

It'll be during live coverage of the electors voting in December. During the state-by-state roll call, we'll still see pundits still whining about how he still "has yet to close the deal." Well, at least until his number actually crosses 269..

Wasn't unanimous - that's no kind of mandate, Wolf!

GhaleonEB said:
Wow. Up by eight is apparantly a bad thing. :lol

And fivethirtyeight picks up on some very interesting veep speculation....

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/08/warner-will-be-dems-keynoter.html

My question: How does sebelius know who the other choices are?
Edit:
To be fair, a lot of people speak at the convention, so the mere fact that Sebelius has a slot shouldn't mean all that much. But it certainly seems that she's (still) on the short list. I would also note that there would be a certain symmetry to the following pattern of speakers:

Monday -- Michelle Obama
Tuesday -- Hillary Clinton, Mark Warner
Wednesday -- Bill Clinton, Kathleen Sebelius
Thursday -- Barack Obama

You would have, essentially, three "couples" speaking: Michelle and Barack to bookend the convention (the present), Hillary and Bill in the middle (the past), and then Warner and Sebelius (the future), who aren't a couple, but who hit many of the same themes.

Judging from this, Sebelius seems very likely.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Door2Dawn said:
Ugh,Sebelius...

IIRC, you have been wanting Hillary to be involved in a bigger capacity. Have you read her email and the memos of her staff. She is in no way, shape or form ready to lead anything. If she couldn't control and run her campaign properly, no one in their right minds should want her to get some of the reins of the nation.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Agent Icebeezy said:
IIRC, you have been wanting Hillary to be involved in a bigger capacity. Have you read her email and the memos of her staff. She is in no way, shape or form ready to lead anything. If she couldn't control and run her campaign properly, no one in their right minds should want her to get some of the reins of the nation.
Plus her "solution" of the gas tax holiday calls into question her grasp of the issues even if she could manage.

mckmas8808 said:
So now leading by 8 points in a state isn't enough? And why do people keep saying Obama can't close the deal?

How can he close the deal or make it home without people actually voting?
Don't forget the Bradly effect.

I think a lot of these people who are 'undecided' or don't answer are not gonna vote for Obama.

ShOcKwAvE

Maybe he can't close the deal because, I don't know, the other candidate is John McCain and not some unknown idiot?

We heard the same argument during the primaries because Hillary kept running. "Why can't he close the deal" they said. Um, because:

- She's Hillary Rodham Clinton, NY senator and wife of a former president
- She's got millions of both supporters and dollars
- She's considered a masterful campaigner
- SHE'S HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

It's like asking during Superbowl 42, "why can't the Pats close the deal?"

Nothing is a lock.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Sebelius or Clark... zomg...

My pants are so toit! LIKE A TOIGAR!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Rice didn't blame McCain for the crisis, she lambasted the rhetorical emptiness of his grandstanding. pushing a hard line on Russia and arguing that 'we're all georgians' entails some type of policy and hard military action, otherwise we're just bluffing and politicizing a crisis to no end other than to illustrate our weakness.

there's nothing to wring one's hands about.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

RubxQub

bob_arctor said:
McCain was talking shit, moreso than anyone really ("Today, we are all Georgians!"), if only to showcase his FP skillz and score some political points to that end. I think that would be an assessment worth debating (as well as McCain's vested interest in shilling for Georgia generally). But this woman is annoying as fuck. And seems like a dummy to boot.
Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no you didn't.

Watch some videos of her owning people all over the place. There was a post a few pages back with some great highlight clips.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RubxQub said:
Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no you didn't.

Watch some videos of her owning people all over the place. There was a post a few pages back with some great highlight clips.

No, I understand she isn't. I've seen her in action. She's just annoying imo and the way she speaks just comes off as trying too hard. But yes, I know she's not dumb.

RubxQub

Frank the Great said:
If the choice is really between Sebelius and Clark...

:D
Either would be fucking awesome. Admittedly I was pretty disappointed with Clark when he sided with Clinton, as I knew he was a really solid person to have in your corner.

Seeing him come around for Obama has been good.

Sebelius would just be so much of an "OMG AMAZING" moment. I don't know how well that would affect the polls, but it would certainly shake everything the fuck up.

A women?! Who isn't Hillary?!

RubxQub

Frank the Great said:
If I'm at work and I get a text message saying that Sebelius is Obama's VP, I'm scared I will flip out with excitement and make a fool of myself.
OmgBama.png

Diablos

What's this about PA?

Getting all of my 2004 info from electoral-vote.com:

On July 4th, Bush was ahead. Today in 2004, Kerry was only ahead of Bush by five points. It went a bit higher. In November, it tightened up, though. Election results show that Kerry won PA by a measly 2.2%...

Obama, at this point in time, seems to be polling better than Kerry ever did in PA.
The only thing that could totally fuck Obama up in PA is former Governor Ridge on the ticket.

He's pro-choice, though... so that could end up being a bad move for McCain. Pawlenty may actually be more likely than Ridge. He's in a typically blue state, a sitting Governor, and an evangelical.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Frank the Great said:
"Barack Obama...the middle class, first."

Oh jeez.

Cornball City. Guess they're trying to play on Mccain's "Country, first" crap. Speaking of shitty things that talk:

At the event, Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee who is now an Independent, took a veiled shot at Obama.

Lieberman said:
"One candidate, John McCain ... has always put the country first, worked across party lines to get things done, and one candidate has not."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Karma Kramer said:
Why are people saying its between Wes and Kathleen? Is there new information to support this?
People are looking at the theme of the day the VP will speak matching Clark's PAC as well as the fact Sebelius is going to speak but hasn't been given a slot yet.

GhaleonEB

Frank the Great said:
"Barack Obama...the middle class, first."

Oh jeez.
It tries to end on a positive note, but it's a complete shotgun approach.

Barack Obama's plan:
End the war responsibly.
Better schools.
No more tax breaks for oil companies.
Barack Obama … the Middle Class first.

Better schools and ending the war are middle-class issues? The first half is setting up a narrative on how the Iraq war has hurt our economy, which is a good narrative to construct. Obama needs to build from that how ending the war will help the economy. But the "Obama's plan" comes across as disconnected and scatter shot. And yeah, bad last line.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It tries to end on a positive note, but it's a complete shotgun approach.

Barack Obama's plan:
End the war responsibly.
Better schools.
No more tax breaks for oil companies.
Barack Obama … the Middle Class first.

Better schools and ending the war are middle-class issues? The first half is setting up a narrative on how the Iraq war has hurt our economy, which is a good narrative to construct. Obama needs to build from that how ending the war will help the economy. But the "Obama's plan" comes across as disconnected and scatter shot. And yeah, bad last line.
Yeah, that ad is all over the place.

But, who knows, you throw enough catchy "plans" out there in an ad, and maybe you'll get some middle-class-for-a-reason idiots nodding and saying, "That sounds good."

Gaborn said:
He's certainly locked up most of the black racist vote.

Do you think the majority of black voters are going for Barack because McCain is white? Before Obama came on to the national scene, what was the skin pigmentation of the Democratic Presidential nominees before him?

RubxQub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom