• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
bob_arctor said:
In these here parts, we like to call 'em "Democrats".

/shrug Anyone that views race as a positive or negative factor in their personal esteem of someone else or their ability to perform is, yeah, racist.

"Oh boy, a black president, yay!" is just as bad as "Oh no, a black president, boo!"

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Lv99 Slacker said:
Do you think the majority of black voters are going for Barack because McCain is white? Before Obama came on to the national scene, what was the skin pigmentation of the Democratic Presidential nominees before him?

Not as subtle as what I just said to him but acceptable. ;-) Though I guess he can point out the majority of white voters always vote Republican. Or maybe he can't since I pulling that out my ass.

JayDubya said:
/shrug Anyone that views race as a positive or negative factor in their personal esteem of someone else or their ability to perform is, yeah, racist.

"Oh boy, a black president, yay!" is just as bad as "Oh no, a black president, boo!"

I thought racism had to do with the belief in racial supremacy?

bob_arctor said:
McCain was talking shit, moreso than anyone really ("Today, we are all Georgians!"), if only to showcase his FP skillz and score some political points to that end. I think that would be an assessment worth debating (as well as McCain's vested interest in shilling for Georgia generally). But this woman is annoying as fuck. And seems like a dummy to boot.

Sorry, your assessment is a total failure. Susan Rice is pretty competent as a surrogate when it comes to foreign policy matters and has shown that she's a great attack dog and will not back down (like other Dems do) when republicans or pundits start spewing factually incorrect information. I'll concede that she may not always be the best fit for tv though since she always has her poker face on and always plays hardball.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JayDubya said:

That Obama's black makes it just that much sweeter to me. Like apple pie and then pow!, ice cream on top. I would have eaten that shit regardless, knowwhatimsayin'?

maximum360 said:
I'll concede that she may not always be the best fit for tv though since she always has her poker face on and always plays hardball.

Exactly this. I'll concede calling her a dummy was wrong (even if I already knew she wasn't).

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
It tries to end on a positive note, but it's a complete shotgun approach.

Barack Obama's plan:
End the war responsibly.
Better schools.
No more tax breaks for oil companies.
Barack Obama … the Middle Class first.

Better schools and ending the war are middle-class issues? The first half is setting up a narrative on how the Iraq war has hurt our economy, which is a good narrative to construct. Obama needs to build from that how ending the war will help the economy. But the "Obama's plan" comes across as disconnected and scatter shot. And yeah, bad last line.

I think he's trying to change the definition of "most/average Americans aren't/are..." which is the thinly veiled swipe Republicans use extremely often. He's putting his stamp on what it means.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JayDubya said:

That's the most simple/dumb thing that I've read all day.

Banned
Lv99 Slacker said:
Do you think the majority of black voters are going for Barack because McCain is white? Before Obama came on to the national scene, what was the skin pigmentation of the Democratic Presidential nominees before him?
Are you for real? Of course they are.

This election has taken on another form for black people. it's about pride at this point.

In my house when Hillary was still big we supported becuase she was a dem, but it was never heartfelt. When Obama took over my parents completely changed. Now my family tries to get everyone who enters my house intoa conversation about Obama.

If it's safe to assume all of McCain's supporters are white racists, than i don't think it's to far out of reality to believe many black people are voting on race as well.

mckmas8808 said:
That's the most simple/dumb thing that I've read all day.
no that's harsh truth.

Photos: From the Office of Senator Barack Obama.

capt.ee677b4eb7bb4e00bfb37ee5ee17ab0e.office_politics_obama_wxsc111.jpg

The desk in Sen. Barack Obama's office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, once used by former Illinois Sen. Paul Simon, is a testament to discipline. It is home to two family photos, a very uncrowded inbox, a mug full of pens, and little else, but does include one sentimental item given him on the campaign trail: a carving of a wooden hand holding an egg, a Kenyan symbol of the fragility of life.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.d11a5208d47443f990abf8488f340d9f.office_politics_obama_wxsc112.jpg

The desk in Sen. Barack Obama's office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, once used by former Illinois Sen. Paul Simon, is a testament to discipline. It is home to two family photos, a very uncrowded inbox, a mug full of pens, and little else.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.c77eeaa2afc0414e99553b14d36b1094.office_politics_obama_wxsc105.jpg

A wall in Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, displays a personal collection of photos taken by Obama's former personal assistant, David Katz, in various political settings, such as the Democratic National Convention and a Rainbow PUSH event, but also with his wife, and daughters. Hanging next to the photo of Muhammad Ali over a fallen Sonny Liston in their 1965 rematch, left, used to be the most prominent item in the office: a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Ali. The gloves were put in storage; aides said visitors were too prone to handle them.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.0d944d62e2a240e194bcf1a138b0a49b.office_politics_obama_wxsc108.jpg

On a wall in the office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a photo, left, of the cliff in Hawaii, where Obama's mother's ashes were scattered into the Pacific, and at center a 2004 portrait of Thurgood Marshall by Chaz Guest on loan from the DuSable Museum of African American History in Chicago, Ill.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.e5405a0d2747445883780ab22d40d1da.office_politics_obama_wxsc102.jpg

The desk of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is seen in his Senate office in the Hart Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008. Obama has been a senator only since 2005, and his office in the Hart Office Building has a fresh, clean look to it. 'He's tidy. It stays tidy,' said Ashley Tate-Gilmore, the Illinois senator's executive assistant.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.37a85297475c4c559d6ed1d4b7af96c3.office_politics_obama_wxsc104.jpg

On the side table of Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., office in the Senate Hart Office Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a tiger-beating stick from his grandmother's village in Kenya, and under the table is a white Gibson guitar that Obama received as a Rock the Vote honoree.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.59ec26c5fe2e4d2996f962094fce08e8.office_politics_obama_wxsc101.jpg

The office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008. Obama has been a senator only since 2005, and his office in the Hart Office Building has a fresh, clean look to it. Ashley Tate-Gilmore, the Illinois senator's executive assistant, says 'He played a big part in putting it all together, right down to selecting the straw-colored tint of the walls and carpeting.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.551b8be6f55a48d88e8bb759957016d7.office_politics_obama_wxsc110.jpg

In the office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is a painting by Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., dedicated to the Illinois senator with the words, 'To Barack - I love your audacity. With great respect and warmest wishes.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.be00003fe62e404f9851933b5be982ea.office_politics_obama_wxsc109.jpg

In Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., office on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is an African table top, seen from above, decorated with the Illinois senator's name and status.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.8f01a439817e4f908e33e586747891c0.office_politics_obama_wxsc107.jpg

On the desk in Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., Capitol Hill office in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, sits an Italian edition of his book 'The Audacity of Hope' (L'Audacia della Speranza). The credenza behind his desk contains a handful of file folders in one drawer, but otherwise is completely empty. Not many knickknacks.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

capt.b8fc315347af4c1cb6c0293eb6fea861.office_politics_obama_wxsc103.jpg

In office of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 24, 2008, is the 'wall of heroes' containing historic photos of those the senator admires. Abe Lincoln is there, as well as Gandhi with his spinning wheel, Martin Luther King Jr., and John F. Kennedy. The arrangement includes a framed original program from the 1963 March on Washington where King delivered his 'I have a dream' speech. There also is a framed copy of the Life magazine cover from 1965 showing civil rights marchers in Selma, Ala. It is signed by John Lewis, a protester who was bludgeoned at Selma and now is a member of Congress.
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

mckmas8808

maximum360 said:
Sorry, your assessment is a total failure. Susan Rice is pretty competent as a surrogate when it comes to foreign policy matters and has shown that she's a great attack dog and will not back down (like other Dems do) when republicans or pundits start spewing factually incorrect information. I'll concede that she may not always be the best fit for tv though since she always has her poker face on and always plays hardball.

Sometimes I don't know what's wrong with you dems on GAF. She's EXACTLY what the dems need this year on TV. Don't you guys see how many people on TV shill for Mccain and let bullshit slide when it comes to Obama?

mckmas8808

Are you for real? Of course they are.

This election has taken on another form for black people. it's about pride at this point.

In my house when Hillary was still big we supported becuase she was a dem, but it was never heartfelt. When Obama took over my parents completely changed. Now my family tries to get everyone who enters my house intoa conversation about Obama.

If it's safe to assume all of McCain's supporters are white racists, than i don't think it's to far out of reality to believe many black people are voting on race as well.

no that's harsh truth.

Black people aren't got damn racist because they may vote Obama this year, when in the past they never voted before.

How the fuck is someone racist just because they are voting for Obama becausethey are happy that someone of their own race can possilbly be president?

Some of those people never voted before in life.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Like I said to JayDub, it's the icing on top. A yummy, yummy icing. The cake would still be really good without it though. But man. That icing. And hell, I'm just a spic! ;-)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
mckmas8808 said:
How the fuck is someone racist just because they are voting for Obama becausethey are happy that someone of their own race can possilbly be president?

You just answered your own question.

Gaborn

Lv99 Slacker said:

Where on earth did I say that? Are you suggesting the reverse is true, that the majority of McCain's white voters are going to vote for McCain BECAUSE he's white? I was ridiculing that very notion in fact with my post, because some blacks (like some of any group) are racist against people of other groups and I'm guessing they're largely supporting Obama.

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:
Black people aren't got damn racist because they may vote Obama this year, when in the past they never voted before.

Because they didn't want to vote for a white candidate.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dax01 said:
Awesome @ Obama's office.

I think the best indicators of Obama's leadership abilities are stuff like how he handles his campaign (which has run extremely smooth for a presidential campaign) and the attention to detail in things like how his office is immaculate.

VanMardigan said:
I think the best indicators of Obama's leadership abilities are stuff like how he handles his campaign (which has run extremely smooth for a presidential campaign) and the attention to detail in things like how his office is immaculate.
Yep.

I bet Ghal wishes he had an office like that.

lopaz

Banned
I remember when Obama was saying how lack of self-belief amongst blacks was the reason why he didn't have higher polling numbers amongst them. Heaven forbid that yknow, maybe some of the black people wanted to vote for Hillary because they liked her policies or history.

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Like I said to JayDub, it's the icing on top. A yummy, yummy icing. The cake would still be really good without it though. But man. That icing. And hell, I'm just a spic! ;-)
Well that's nice.

mckmas8808 said:

And who's fault is that? You should vote for someone becuase you think they are the best at the job, not becuase you want your team to win.

And are you seriously saying black people have never voted before?

Gaborn said:
:lol

mckmas8808

VanMardigan said:
You just answered your own question.

So that makes them racists? As in hating people of different races?

How? What if they they voted for white people all their life?

Gaborn

BigAT said:
You see, black people have names like "Carl" where as white people have names like "Lenny."

Actually my middle name is Carl. My great grandfather was a Russian immigrant and it was his father's name.

mckmas8808

Gaborn said:

No cot damn! Because they just never cared to vote for whatever reason.

My point is some black people never voted before because they didn't care to, but now they feel inspired to because a black man is voting.

That doesn't make them racist.

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:

My point is some black people never voted before because they didn't care to, but now they feel inspired to because a black man is voting.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

Mc. check your spelling. i misspell shit all the time but damn

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
mckmas8808 said:
As in hating people of different races?

No, that's not what I meant. But say for instance that I was voting for McCain BECAUSE he is white. Would you consider me racist?

Which part? Being Puertorican? Yeah, it's fucking awesome.

Oh snap, a fellow Puerto Rican. :D

Still, how is Obama being black icing on the cake for you? Are you just going with the whole "minorities stick together" angle? Cause PR was overwhelmingly Clinton land.

mckmas8808

lopaz said:
I remember when Obama was saying how lack of self-belief amongst blacks was the reason why he didn't have higher polling numbers amongst them. Heaven forbid that yknow, maybe some of the black people wanted to vote for Hillary because they liked her policies or history.

To be honest Obama was right. As he won more and more states in the primary his black vote % went up.

Their were many black folks that didn't believe Obama (as a black man) could beat Hillary.

racism includes racial prejudices which is making a decision about something before becoming aware of facts.

so when you don't want to vote for a white person because they are white and only want to vote for a black person because they are black then it IS racism. you are only seeing color and not who is the better person based on thier actions and goals.

GhaleonEB

Someone tried to kill the chair the Arkansas Democratic party.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/13/arkansas.shooting/index.html

One person was shot Wednesday at the Little Rock, Arkansas, headquarters of the state Democratic Party, police said.

CNN affiliate KTHV reported Arksansas Democratic Party chairman Bill Gwatney was hospitalized.

The Arkansas Democratic Party said the chairman, Bill Gwatney, was hospitalized after the shooting, CNN affiliate KTHV reported. Little Rock police would not confirm or deny whether Gwatney was shot.

Little Rock police Lt. Terry Hastings said that the victim was in critical condition at the hospital.

The suspect, who fled the scene after the shooting in a pickup truck, led police on a chase into Grant County before being shot, Hastings said. Hastings did not release the suspect's name, what condition he was in or where he was shot, saying the investigation was ongoing.

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Come on, rice and beans and chuletas for dinner every day? Ridiculously beautiful women? Si, es muy bueno!
black chicks are prettier, and we have better food. Granted, more likely to kill you but tastier.

Why are we discussing this

To be honest Obama was right. As he won more and more states in the primary his black vote % went up.

Their were many black folks that didn't believe Obama (as a black man) could beat Hillary.
That has more to do with him running a better campaign.

racism includes racial prejudices which is making a decision about something before becoming aware of facts.

so when you don't want to vote for a white person because they are white and only want to vote for a black person because they are black then it IS racism. you are only seeing color and not who is the better person based on thier actions and goals.
It might be better to call it prejudice

I am 100% white, of Italian descent, and one of the main factors in my decision to vote for Obama has to do with the fact that he is black. I'm sick and tired of white Presidents, we've had like 43 three in a row. It's about damned time we mix it up a little.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
black chicks are prettier, and we have better food. Granted, more likely to kill you but tastier.

Why are we discussing this.

Because it's nice to see you joke around once in a while and not sounding so pissy. ;-)

Frank the Great said:
I am 100% white, of Italian descent, and one of the main factors in my decision to vote for Obama has to do with the fact that he is black. I'm sick and tired of white Presidents, we've had like 43 three in a row. It's about damned time we mix it up a little.
Racist.
100% white and of Italian descent here too.

mckmas8808

VanMardigan said:
No, that's not what I meant. But say for instance that I was voting for McCain BECAUSE he is white. Would you consider me racist?

Oh snap, a fellow Puerto Rican. :D

Still, how is Obama being black icing on the cake for you? Are you just going with the whole "minorities stick together" angle? Cause PR was overwhelmingly Clinton land.

Hey guys Im on a Sprint Mogul so some of my spelling is going to suck.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't say you were racist but I would question your motives.

But honestly are you going to sit here and say that blacks being proud and voting when that voter has never voted (or rarely ever votes) but decides to do so now because they person is black is a bad thing? How is that bad, wrong, or racist?

And there is history too that we have to take into account. Not all situations are the same.

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Not if we use the totally unbiased global indicator of female beauty: The Miss Universe Pageant

GO PR GO
I cried that night. it's unfair that PR has so many hot chicks, and yet so few of them move west.

California is just as nice as Florida, dammit! Move here!

hokahey

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/13/campaign.wrap/index.html

Ex-Virginia governor to give keynote at Democratic convention

CNN) -- Former Virginia Gov. and Senate candidate Mark Warner will deliver a keynote address at the Democratic National Convention this month.
Mark Warner, left, with Rep. Rick Boucher and Sen. Barack Obama, will give the Democratic keynote address.

Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign announced Wednesday that Warner will deliver the speech on the convention's second night -- August 26. That's the same night that former rival Sen. Hillary Clinton will give her prime-time address.

A Democratic source close to Clinton earlier had said, "Tuesday night is Hillary night," before Warner landed the role of keynote speaker.

Four years ago, Obama -- a little-known state lawmaker from Illinois who was running for the U.S. Senate -- had the same role. His speech at the convention in Boston, Massachusetts, was highly praised by Democrats.

Warner, who has been mentioned as a possible contender for the vice presidential spot, won Virginia's governorship in 2001. The win marked the first in a string of statewide election victories by Democrats in a state that Republicans once dominated. Video Watch more on the DNC headliner »

Warner is battling Jim Gilmore, another ex-governor of Virginia, to replace retiring Republican Sen. John Warner. (Mark and John Warner are not related.)

In June, Obama kicked off his general election campaign in Virginia, signaling that he thinks he can turn the once solidly red state into a Democratic pickup come November.

Virginia hasn't voted for a Democrat since President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964, but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of its argument that he can reshuffle the electoral map this fall.

Democrats said the theme of the second night of their convention will be "Renewing America's Promise."

Meanwhile, with the conventions fast approaching, there's no word on whom Obama and Sen. John McCain will pick as their running mates.

Former Republican Rep. Jim Leach crossed party lines to endorse Obama on Tuesday, saying he hopes the senator from Illinois will consider one of McCain's former GOP allies as his running mate. Video Watch how the VP contenders are performing »

Speaking on a conference call with reporters about a new effort among Republicans supporting Obama, Leach said he thinks Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska should be Obama's VP.

"There are a number of impressive potential vice presidential candidates, and this is a singular decision for one person, and that is Barack Obama," Leach said.

"But personally I'd be hopeful in the list of serious candidates to be considered would be Chuck Hagel, whether it be for the veep position or a serious position in an Obama administration."

Leach is a Republican moderate who was a congressman from Iowa's 2nd District for 30 years before losing his seat in 2006.

Shortly after Leach's suggestion, Hagel made it clear that he has no plans to endorse either major-party candidate this year.

"Sen. Hagel has no intention of getting involved in any of the campaigns and is not planning to endorse either candidate," Hagel spokesman Jordan Stark said.

Hagel, a leading Republican voice on international affairs and an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq, joined Obama last month on his trip to the Middle East.

He is not seeking a third Senate term and has said he would consider a VP offer from Obama.

Hagel also is a longtime friend of McCain's and briefly mulled a 2008 presidential bid of his own. He has butted heads with McCain and other leading Republicans over the war in Iraq and sharply criticized McCain's campaign in July for its attacks on Obama.

One of McCain's VP contenders -- Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut -- questioned Obama's patriotism and bipartisan record on Tuesday.

Lieberman said the presidential contest is "between one candidate, John McCain, who's always put the country first, worked across party lines to get things done, and one candidate who has not."

McCain's campaign later distributed those comments to reporters.

Lieberman, an Independent who caucuses with the Democratic Party, again sounded off to reporters onboard McCain's campaign plane during a flight to New Jersey, praising the Republican's record in the Senate and belittling Obama's.
advertisement

"In the 3 ½ years Barack Obama has been in the Senate, with all respect, there is very little evidence of that kind of bipartisan outreach," Lieberman said.

"Barack Obama talks about bipartisanship," he continued. "John McCain has lived it, worked it, done it. That's why I think in the end, which is Election Day, which we hope is just the beginning, there are going to be many more Democrats who will vote for John McCain than Republicans who will vote for Barack Obama."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom