• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Door2Dawn said:
Yes he can
CARI.Obama.gif

Schattenjagger said:
Biden is shady to me because of that whole mortgage controversy

isnt he also old?
Joe Biden is a high risk high reward, he "supposedly" has foreign policy experiance but he talks first thinks later too much. Remember when he called Obama "clean?"

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno where the Biden hype came from, I mean he's been around Washington FOREVER, voted for the war, involved in the mortgage crap. It's just bad mojo all around.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
I dunno where the Biden hype came from, I mean he's been around Washington FOREVER, voted for the war, involved in the mortgage crap. It's just bad mojo all around.
Agreed. He'd be a terrible choice, IMO.
Halycon said:
http://thepage.time.com/

Hm...looks like its Biden. His staff is sending out emails to his circle so that he can contact them in a hurry. Also the others on the shortlist say it's him.
Halperin thinks it's Biden? That pretty much confirms it's NOT.

Tamanon said:

a washington product? yes, but he is sort a rogue in relation to his peers. voted for the war? yes, but IMO anybody in the senate who voted for the war can be forgiven, because the CIA and DIA pulled them into a room and told them 'vote for the war or 9/11 times ten happens and its your fault.' hillary voted for it and look how far she got in the primary. never heard of the mortgage bruhaha.

biden is a gamble. it'd be easier to pick the governers, but i'm under the impression obama personally wants biden because they've worked together on the floor and on the foreign relations comitee for so long. but the vetters are probably trying to get him to choose otherwise...

of course that last paragraph is total speculation

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
WTF? My old jobs sent those emails out every so often to make sure the contacts were still current. I guess that means that the CEO of Citigroup is a Veep prospect! And wasn't Halperin sure it was Kaine 2 weeks ago?
Halperin runs wherever the CW tells him to.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
In 2003, as chairman of the Illinois Senate Health and Human Services Committee, Obama received a statement from Jill Stanek, a registered nurse at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Ill. She testified that at her Chicago-area hospital, she'd seen a baby accidentally delivered alive during an abortion and then "taken to the Soiled Utility Room and left alone to die."

Any transcripts of this testimony? Any other evidence to back up her story? Any other witnesses? Seems a little far-fetched considering where she (strongly) falls in the abortion debate. Taking this as gospel is a little like believing everything McCain says about the Georgia/Russia conflict.

Edit: Ah, just realized that Laserbeam was quoting one Jonah Goldberg without linking to him or mentioning his name. Fuck Jonah Goldberg.

Here's the article.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonat...es_collecting_info_on_their_man.html#comments

Top aides to Joseph Lieberman have reached out to former staffers in recent days with "substanative questions" about the issue areas they focused on while working for the Connecticut senator, according to a source close to Lieberman.

Clarine Nardi Riddle, Lieberman's Chief of Staff, and Sherry Brown, a top district aide and his 2006 campaign manager, are working the phones and sending emails in an apparent attempt to compile a portfolio for the former Democratic vice-presidential nominee.

Without saying defnitively that the information-gathering was being done to share with McCain's campaign, this source said "it would be unusual if not in the context of being vetted."

For example, one of the issues that Lieberman aides expressed an interest in finding more information about was the Enron case.

As chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee in 2002, Lieberman presided over the investigation into the corporate scandal. But he also was criticized for doing so after taking contributions from the former energy giant and seeing one of his former aides take them on as a lobbying client.

Another strong clue is that one of the former aides contacted was Lori McGrogan.

A longtime Lieberman aide, McGrogan served as Research Director on the senator's 2004 presidential bid where she was tasked with investigating her candidate's record as well as those of his Democratic primary rivals.

Lieberman's current aides have reached out to McGrogan to ask how to access her files on the senator, the source said.

Lieberman's office declined to comment on questions relating to the vice-presidential process.

PLEASE LORD PICK LIEBERMAN, MCCAIN!

PLEASE!

GhaleonEB said:
Agreed. He'd be a terrible choice, IMO.

Why? Biden has tons of experience. He has a ton of strength were Obama has weakness (foreign policy specifically), and he is a great debater.

His main problem is he runs his mouth. But as long as he kept it shut at the appropriate times, it shouldn't be an issue.

Macam

Banned
From the AP

His top contenders are said to include Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Less traditional choices mentioned include former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, an abortion-rights supporter, and Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, the Democratic vice presidential prick in 2000 who now is an independent.

Pointed out via Daring Fireball, but really amusing nonetheless.

GhaleonEB

VistraNorrez said:
Why? Biden has tons of experience. He has a ton of strength were Obama has weakness (foreign policy specifically), and he is a great debater.

His main problem is he runs his mouth. But as long as he kept it shut at the appropriate times, it shouldn't be an issue.
I keep hearing this. But he voted for the Iraq war. All that experience didn't get him very far....

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Tamanon said:

Couldn't this be bad for those of us that want Obama to get elected? I realize a McCain/Lieberman ticket would piss off the far right, but it would really enforce McCain's bullshit image as a maverick and potentially make McCain seem like the more open minded candidate when it comes to working to end partisan politics.

edit: I should clarify that I'm probably the least informed person posting in this thread, and would be more than happy to hear why I'm wrong.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Captain Pants said:
Couldn't this be bad for those of us that want Obama to get elected? I realize a McCain/Lieberman ticket would piss off the far right, but it would really enforce McCain's bullshit image as a maverick and potentially make McCain seem like the more open minded candidate when it comes to working to end partisan politics.

edit: I should clarify that I'm probably the least informed person posting in this thread, and would be more than happy to hear why I'm wrong.

Except liberals and independents hate Lieberman, too.

TDG

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Joe Biden is a high risk high reward
True, but that's a lot better than someone like Kathleen Sebelius, who is medium risk no reward.

GhaleonEB said:
I keep hearing this. But he voted for the Iraq war. All that experience didn't get him very far....
You know, I really don't think that in the year 2008, that should be the be-all-end-all vote that tells you whether a candidate is good with foreign policy or not. Most of the country would've voted for the Iraq War had they had the power to do so. I mean, you are pretty much narrowing your VP list down to extreme liberals nobody likes (like Kucinich) or people who didn't have the power to vote for the Iraq War at the time, though many of those people likely would've voted for the war of they could've.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
the disgruntled gamer said:
Most of the country would've voted for the Iraq War had they had the power to do so.
And that still would have left A LOT of people who wouldn't have voted for the war.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Bulla564 said:
I even liked Biden for president. I'm down with the OB/B.

You down with OB/B?
Yeah, you know me!

RubxQub

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
You know, I really don't think that in the year 2008, that should be the be-all-end-all vote that tells you whether a candidate is good with foreign policy or not. Most of the country would've voted for the Iraq War had they had the power to do so. I mean, you are pretty much narrowing your VP list down to extreme liberals nobody likes (like Kucinich) or people who didn't have the power to vote for the Iraq War at the time, though many of those people likely would've voted for the war of they could've.
I do.

You don't need to narrow your vote to extreme liberals, since it wasn't only extreme liberals who had the sense and balls to stand up to Bush and not vote in favor of war with Iraq. (Not to mention those not in congress/senate like Sebelius.) And keep in mind that Obama is using his opposition to the war as a contrast with McCain's support of it as a major point of contrast between them on foreign policy. Just this morning, Obama did it again, talking about how McCain supporting he war showed he had the wrong judgment. Obama can't exempt his veep from that same analysis.

And now, in the year 2008, it's more clear than ever how much this war has cost us, and what we could have done instead. The passage of time is no reason to forget a colossal error, one that's costing us billions every month, not to mention lives.

RubxQub

GhaleonEB said:
I do.

You don't need to narrow your vote to extreme liberals, since it wasn't only extreme liberals who had the sense and balls to stand up to Bush and not vote in favor of war with Iraq. And keep in mind that Obama is using his opposition to the war as a contrast with McCain's support of it as a major point of contrast between them on foreign policy. Just this morning, Obama did it again, talking about how McCain supporting he war showed he had the wrong judgment. Obama can't exempt his veep from that same analysis.

And now, in the year 2008, it's more clear than ever how much this war has cost us, and what we could have done instead. The passage of time is no reason to forget a colossal error, one that's costing us billions every month, not to mention lives.
So Obama should pick Sebelius is what you're saying?

Tamanon

Banned
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/was-mccain-tort.html

Interesting stuff.

In all the discussion of John McCain's recently recovered memory of a religious epiphany in Vietnam, one thing has been missing. The torture that was deployed against McCain emerges in all the various accounts. It involved sleep deprivation, the withholding of medical treatment, stress positions, long-time standing, and beating. Sound familiar?

According to the Bush administration's definition of torture, McCain was therefore not tortured.

Cheney denies that McCain was tortured; as does Bush. So do John Yoo and David Addington and George Tenet. In the one indisputably authentic version of the story of a Vietnamese guard showing compassion, McCain talks of the agony of long-time standing. A quarter century later, Don Rumsfeld was putting his signature to memos lengthening the agony of "long-time standing" that victims of Bush's torture regime would have to endure. These torture techniques are, according to the president of the United States, merely "enhanced interrogation."

No war crimes were committed against McCain. And the techniques used are, according to the president, tools to extract accurate information. And so the false confessions that McCain was forced to make were, according to the logic of the Bush administration, as accurate as the "intelligence" we have procured from "interrogating" terror suspects. Feel safer?

The cross-in-the-dirt story - although deeply fishy to any fair observer - is in the realm of the unprovable. But the actual techniques used on McCain, and the lies they were designed to legitimize, are a matter of historical record. And the government of the United States now practices the very same techniques that the Communist government of North Vietnam once proudly used against American soldiers. When they are used against future John McCains, the victims will know, in a way McCain didn't, that their own government has no moral standing to complain.

Now the kicker: in the Military Commissions Act, McCain acquiesced to the use of these techniques against terror suspects by the CIA. And so the tortured became the enabler of torture. Someone somewhere cried out in pain for the same reasons McCain once did. And McCain let it continue.

These are the prices people pay for power.

Ouch. It is pretty damning, a true black mark that the government still refuses to acknowledge.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PrivateWHudson said:
Would you take a moment to help clarify his pro choice beliefs?

This sounds beyond a womans right to choose, and "a fetus isn't a baby" rhetoric. I'd like to know how Obama could not vote for a measure to uphold a living infant's rights as an American and as a Human.

So are you saying the legislation didn't try to define the fetus as a person?

Odrion

Banned
Joe Biden would be so fucking cool, but

1.) He's a loose cannon.
2.) Do we really want "Obama Biden" on a bumper sticker? Like we want any more name likeness to Osama Bin Laden?

laserbeam

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So are you saying the legislation didn't try to define the fetus as a person?
Illinois Induced Birth Infant Liability Act," Senate Bill 1661.

Section 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the
5 Induced Birth Infant Liability Act.

6 Section 5. Findings and intent. The General Assembly
7 finds that all children who are born alive are entitled to
8 equal protection under the law regardless of the
9 circumstances surrounding the birth. Children who are born
10 alive as the result of an induced labor abortion or any other
11 abortion are in special need of protection due to the fact
12 that the intent of their birth is to cause the death of the
13 born child. Therefore, it is the intent of the General
14 Assembly to protect a child who is born alive as the result
15 of an induced labor abortion or any other abortion and to
16 ensure that the child receives all medical care necessary to
17 preserve and protect the life, health, and safety of the
18 child.

Senate Bill 1662, "Born-Alive Infant Defined
Amends the Statute on Statutes. Defines "born-alive infant" to
include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born
alive at any stage of development. Defines "born alive" to mean the
complete expulsion or extraction from the mother of an infant, at any
stage of development, who after that expulsion or extraction breathes
or has a beating heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite
movement of voluntary muscles, regardless of whether the umbilical
cord has been cut and regardless of whether the expulsion or
extraction occurs as a result of natural or induced labor, cesarean
section, or induced abortion. Effective immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom