• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Some guy from American University just said Hillary Clinton will get the VP position because US needs a "commander-in-cheif"/Margarat Fetcher type of person... :lol This is from an interview on the Canadian CTV news channel, hahaha

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
VanMardigan said:
So Obama already has made his choice and hasn't told Bid...........errr.........the candidate yet? Is he worried the candidate will leak the information?
He's probably told them by now.

Tamanon

Banned
The dude's operated basically a leakless campaign which is amazing for a Presidential race. I'm sure his pick knows, and the reason we don't know is one of the reasons they were picked.

Cheebs

Looks like it'll happen saturday:

Chicago Sun-Times reports Obama and his veep will showcase the new ticket Saturday at the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois.

State of Illinois authorities have been asked permission by Obama folks to reserve the historic spot at noon.
Spot is the same place where he officially kicked off his campaign in February 2007.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I just wanted to say that I despise Rick Warren, when larry king asked him last night if he knew Mccain was not in 'a cone of silence' he blinked uncontrollably and said 'of course not' or some crap. Very mad was I.

And btw I never saw John Mccain answer questions so fast as he did on saturday night, almost like he knew EXACTLY what was coming.

TDG

Banned
Saturday it is, then.

...I've got to say, there's no doubt in my mind that it will be Biden. And Biden's a good guy, a likeable guy, he's a kickass debater... it's a good choice.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Wow, I thought for sure it would be before the weekend. Right down to the wire.

The location is good. And it doesn't give away any clues about the veep, either.

TDG

Banned
I wonder if we'll have some fun "reporting" like this:
nypost-kerry-gephardt.jpg

again this time.

It would be fun to witness everyone freak out over one guy, and then watch the double freak out as it turns out it's someone else.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Undeux said:
So cryptic.
Not really. He's saying one of the reasons he was picked is that he's trustworthy and doesn't leak campaign secrets. Thus, the candidate's tendency to not spill the beans is one of the reasons the beans have not been spilled.

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
I wonder if we'll have some fun "reporting" like this:
nypost-kerry-gephardt.jpg

again this time.

It would be fun to witness everyone freak out over one guy, and then watch the double freak out as it turns out it's someone else.
We can only hope. I'd like to see Drudge "leak" it only to be wrong. Though in print would be even funnier.

I still don't think it's going to be Bayh, Biden or Kaine.

ChrisGoldstein said:
I just wanted to say that I despise Rick Warren, when larry king asked him last night if he knew Mccain was not in 'a cone of silence' he blinked uncontrollably and said 'of course not' or some crap. Very mad was I.

And btw I never saw John Mccain answer questions so fast as he did on saturday night, almost like he knew EXACTLY what was coming.
Of course.

It was a terrible miscalculation for Obama to attend what was essentially an inquisition conducted by evangelicals.

Tamanon

Banned
Limbaugh yesterday was apparently not really realizing that he was advocating two opposites, on one hand he said that Obama was an empty vessel being controlled by all the various Democratic special interests, but on the other hand crowing about how divided all the factions are in the Democratic party.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tamanon said:
Limbaugh yesterday was apparently not really realizing that he was advocating two opposites, on one hand he said that Obama was an empty vessel being controlled by all the various Democratic special interests, but on the other hand crowing about how divided all the factions are in the Democratic party.
No, he just likes having his cake and eating it too.

GhaleonEB

Mercury Fred said:
Of course.

It was a terrible miscalculation for Obama to attend what was essentially an inquisition conducted by evangelicals.
He was playing in McCain's home turf. I doubt his performance brought him down in front of that crowd; it might have helped him among a few. Worst-case scenario he breaks even. But it shows Obama is willing to engage everyone in discussion, even those who disagree with him. Which is part of the premise of his campaign.

NLB2

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
Of course.

Yeah it was an inquisition. They burned a couple of witches the week before.

You're fucking retarded.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mercury Fred said:
Of course.

Obama certainly didn't do as well as (a well prepared?) McCain, but he did very well. I think he'll do much better than people expect among that demographic. Aside from the abortion issue, Obama seemed more comfortable talking about his personal faith than McCain. Which is due to the fact that hes' far more religious than McCain is. And I think evangelicals are realizing that, and last night helped.

They're definitely coming around to Obama, despite being "fucking cavemen", as per a previous post in this thread.

laserbeam

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Obama certainly didn't do as well as (a well prepared?) McCain, but he did very well. I think he'll do much better than people expect among that demographic. Aside from the abortion issue, Obama seemed more comfortable talking about his personal faith than McCain. Which is due to the fact that hes' far more religious than McCain is. And I think evangelicals are realizing that, and last night helped.

They're definitely coming around to Obama, despite being "fucking cavemen", as per a previous post in this thread.

I think your way overstating the supposed coming around of enagelicals to Obama. Abortion is basically issue #1 for them and he did the same thing Mccain got alot of shit for on this forum and refused to answer. He even stated he voted for a bill that in actuality he voted against.

This I find quite interesting though

Obama the moral philosopher replied, accurately, that evil is everywhere, in Darfur, in our city streets, in our own hearts. We cannot "erase evil from the world. That is God's task. But we can be soldiers in that process, and we can confront [evil] when we see it." (Imagine the reaction if President Bush called himself a soldier of God in the battle against evil.)

or

When asked what America's greatest moral failing was, theological Obama said it was our collective failure to "abide by that basic precept in [the Book of] Matthew that whatever you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me."

In 2003, as chairman of the Illinois Senate Health and Human Services Committee, Obama received a statement from Jill Stanek, a registered nurse at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Ill. She testified that at her Chicago-area hospital, she'd seen a baby accidentally delivered alive during an abortion and then "taken to the Soiled Utility Room and left alone to die."

I'm no expert on the Christian Gospel, but something tells me that Matthew might consider these wailing creatures the least of our brothers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
laserbeam said:
I think your way overstating the supposed coming around of enagelicals to Obama. Abortion is basically issue #1 for them and he did the same thing Mccain got alot of shit for on this forum and refused to answer. He even stated he voted for a bill that in actuality he voted against.

Abortion is important to them, but I can assure you that vocal groups cause that issue to seem more important to evangelicals than it may actually be. In other words, if Obama can show that he is just as concerned in other areas of moral/spiritual importance to them, he still has a chance. Which is why he was so open about his opposition to gay marriage.

Someone posted a poll showing Obama already leading overall among Christians in this very thread. Obama is courting the group heavily, and has been extremely forthcoming (books, interviews, etc.) about his Christian faith. To a group that has seen many of their leaders either just pander or dodge the issue of personal spirituality, it's a breath of fresh air. Someone who doesn't just go to church for PR events and for Easter, who actually knows Scripture, and who, through his own experiences and exposures to sermons and fellow worshippers, is more in tune with their sensitivities than McCain. Bush, you may recall, was also extremely open about his personal faith during the '04 campaign and it helped to push them his way and away from Kerry, who seemed as uncomfortable and aloof about issues of personal spirituality in the same way that McCain does.

Imagine the reaction if President Bush called himself a soldier of God in the battle against evil

He basically did. Remember when the implication was that he was carrying out God's work whenever he made his decisions?

i don't think there's any way for a progressive candidate to get on the good side of evangelicals. you hear about how obama is appealing to a contingent of them because of his stong faith-based rhetoric. but i don't think they're ready yet. they're mostly idiots who'll never leave that leave it to beaver sphere of thinking, so i wouldn't waste too much time with them IMO. theres almost no point in talking about it

Cheebs said:
Chicago Sun-Times reports Obama and his veep will showcase the new ticket Saturday at the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois.

State of Illinois authorities have been asked permission by Obama folks to reserve the historic spot at noon.
Spot is the same place where he officially kicked off his campaign in February 2007.

obama_sebelius_wart.jpg

clapping617.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i they're mostly idiots who'll never leave that leave it to beaver sphere of thinking, t

What the fuck hitokage I'm tired of this shit. Seriously, why the free pass on the constant bullshit attacks?

laserbeam

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Abortion is important to them, but I can assure you that vocal groups cause that issue to seem more important to evangelicals than it may actually be. In other words, if Obama can show that he is just as concerned in other areas of moral/spiritual importance to them, he still has a chance. Which is why he was so open about his opposition to gay marriage.

Someone posted a poll showing Obama already leading overall among Christians in this very thread. Obama is courting the group heavily, and has been extremely forthcoming (books, interviews, etc.) about his Christian faith. To a group that has seen many of their leaders either just pander or dodge the issue of personal spirituality, it's a breath of fresh air. Someone who doesn't just go to church for PR events and for Easter, who actually knows Scripture, and who, through his own experiences and exposures to sermons and fellow worshippers, is more in tune with their sensitivities than McCain. Bush, you may recall, was also extremely open about his personal faith during the '04 campaign and it helped to push them his way and away from Kerry, who seemed as uncomfortable and aloof about issues of personal spirituality in the same way that McCain does.

He basically did. Remember when the implication was that he was carrying out God's work whenever he made his decisions?

Obama will pull the Liberal minded Christians I am sure of that. I think the Conservative ones though he has no chance in hell. The Conservative ones arent really even fans of Mccain but they will vote for him

You are right Bush did allude to that and there was a shitstorm about it. Obama didnt allude to it he flat out said it and its ignored.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm pretty sure because Obama also mentioned that just because we think something is evil doesn't mean that it is. He wasn't really claiming a moral superiority there.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
laserbeam said:

This I find quite interesting though

Obama the moral philosopher replied, accurately, that evil is everywhere, in Darfur, in our city streets, in our own hearts. We cannot "erase evil from the world. That is God's task. But we can be soldiers in that process, and we can confront [evil] when we see it." (Imagine the reaction if President Bush called himself a soldier of God in the battle against evil.)

or

When asked what America's greatest moral failing was, theological Obama said it was our collective failure to "abide by that basic precept in [the Book of] Matthew that whatever you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me."

In 2003, as chairman of the Illinois Senate Health and Human Services Committee, Obama received a statement from Jill Stanek, a registered nurse at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Ill. She testified that at her Chicago-area hospital, she'd seen a baby accidentally delivered alive during an abortion and then "taken to the Soiled Utility Room and left alone to die."

I'm no expert on the Christian Gospel, but something tells me that Matthew might consider these wailing creatures the least of our brothers.

First of all show me one Christian that's perfect. Second, how many times are you going to lie about Obama's pro choice beliefs?

**CBS News: VP Announcement Will Happen Friday Afternoon**

CBS News has confirmed that Barack Obama's campaign now plans to announce Obama's vice presidential choice to supporters via email and text message on Friday afternoon.

He will then appear with his running mate at noon the next day in Springfield, Illinois, CBS News chief political consultant Marc Ambinder reports.

Media reports today have suggested that Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine and Delaware Senator Joseph Biden as the names now atop Obama's list.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/19/politics/horserace/entry4364243.shtml

tanod

when is my burrito
Deus Ex Machina said:

CBS News has confirmed that Barack Obama's campaign now plans to announce Obama's vice presidential choice to supporters via email and text message on Friday afternoon.

He will then appear with his running mate at noon the next day in Springfield, Illinois, CBS News chief political consultant Marc Ambinder reports.

Media reports today have suggested that Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine and Delaware Senator Joseph Biden as the names now atop Obama's list.

Bad news dropaton!

Deus Ex Machina said:

I shall count the minutes!

GhaleonEB

Deus Ex Machina said:

Either you edited this out or they edited it in:

(This plan could change, of course.)

Talk about CYA. Obama's campaign isn't making tenative plans around this. They're speculating.

mckmas8808 said:
First of all show me one Christian that's perfect. Second, how many times are you going to lie about Obama's pro choice beliefs?

Would you take a moment to help clarify his pro choice beliefs?

This sounds beyond a womans right to choose, and "a fetus isn't a baby" rhetoric. I'd like to know how Obama could not vote for a measure to uphold a living infant's rights as an American and as a Human.

maynerd

Banned
librasox said:
Bad strategy. News of this importance shouldn't be relegated to the weekend shuffle.

I think there will be plenty of time to talk about the VP during the convention the following week.

librasox said:
Bad strategy. News of this importance shouldn't be relegated to the weekend shuffle.

Unless it's an unknown VP which news readers might not automatically respond favorably to without some time getting accustomed to them, like say, Sebelius or Richardson.

Tamanon

Banned
Plus the way it's setting up, it'll be Veep speculation until Friday, veep announcement fro the Friday news shows, veep discussion for the saturday and sunday shows, then the convention. Pretty much a solid week or two of Dem coverage on the news.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
laserbeam said:
Obama will pull the Liberal minded Christians I am sure of that. I think the Conservative ones though he has no chance in hell. The Conservative ones arent really even fans of Mccain but they will vote for him

You are right Bush did allude to that and there was a shitstorm about it. Obama didnt allude to it he flat out said it and its ignored.

That's because people just don't believe Obama means it the same way Bush did. Please Laser don't live in a world full of absolutes.

As a "conservative" people viewed Bush saying that meaning that abortion would be banned, gay marriage would never ever happen, etc. All the right wing stuff they try to say belongs to them.

With a DEM saying it (better yet a progressive one at that) people don't know what to make of it. Nobody knows what it means in a sense.

Frank the Great said:
Unless it's an unknown VP which news readers might not automatically respond favorably to without some time getting accustomed to them, like say, Sebelius or Richardson.
Or it's a bomb so huge it doesn't matter, like Colin Powell.

God's Beard said:
Or it's a bomb so huge it doesn't matter, like Colin Powell.

Actually on second thought and after reading Tamanon's post, it could be anyone. I don't think we should speculate on who the VP might be based on when the announcement is taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom