• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopaz

Banned
JayDubya said:
Ugghhhhhhh.
Sho' nuff.
A true free market is laissez faire, with no controls or regulation, and no coercion or fraud. It's not like people don't know that smoking is a risky proposition. If they choose to do it anyway, we can only assume that they understand and assume the risk because they enjoy the product and continue to buy it. There's also a very wide variety of products and services aimed specifically at helping people quit if they so choose to.

First things first, though.

a) I never said I don't support the idea of an age of majority.
b) It's very much so a parental responsibility to safeguard against that behavior.

Eh, you're right I guess. I withdraw!

edit: I still think it's not a good situation since someone can't just change their mind and decide they don't want to use tobacco any more. But that can be true of a lot of things really, so it's a grey area for me

JayDubya said:
A true free market is laissez faire, with no controls or regulation, and no coercion or fraud. It's not like people don't know that smoking is a risky proposition. If they choose to do it anyway, we can only assume that they understand and assume the risk because they enjoy the product and continue to buy it. There's also a very wide variety of products and services aimed specifically at helping people quit if they so choose to.

I don't mind people choosing to smoke, until I realize that when they become sick and decrepit, that my tax money is more than likely going to go to pay for their sickness. That's when I start taking issue with people smoking.

Even though I know you will say that we shouldn't take care of them. :p

JayDubya said:
Your "true free market" is just as much of a fairy tale as "true communism" is.

It looks good on paper but could never pan out in practice.

JayDubya

Banned
Skiptastic said:
I don't mind people choosing to smoke, until I realize that when they become sick and decrepit, that my tax money is more than likely going to go to pay for their sickness. That's when I start taking issue with people smoking.

Even though I know you will say that we shouldn't take care of them. :p

As I said, they assumed the risk.

Also, that line of reasoning can be taken to some scary places where society lords over all our choices and overrides individual will with coercive force because of any potential health risks.

pxleyes said:
No I don't. Are you going to make a point?

He made a very good point. You want anything addictive banned apparently, which means you would logically have to support banning cigarettes and returning to the era of alcohol prohibition.

pxleyes

Banned
Eric P said:
i don't think that's even possible because people will always be selfish scared and greedy
Well its the same argument people try to pull with taxes. "You tax the rich, they wont give you jobs. If you only didn't tax them..." ...they would keep all their money because they are greedy.

I do NOT trust the charity and goodwill of the rich.

pxleyes

Banned
JayDubya said:
He made a very good point. You want anything addictive banned apparently, which means you would logically have to support banning cigarettes and returning to the era of alcohol prohibition.
He made no point at all, and you made an assumption. So really, STFU.

JayDubya

Banned
pxleyes said:

I made no assumptions. I reacted to what you stated and noted what you'd also have to believe in order to be logically consistent.

I did so in the hopes that maybe you'd realize the contradictions therein and either retract or revise your own position. Hey, lopaz did it.

pxleyes said:
Well its the same argument people try to pull with taxes. "You tax the rich, they wont give you jobs. If you only didn't tax them..." ...they would keep all their money because they are greedy.

I don't believe I've seen the argument as you stated. There's two ends of things, people and businesses.

As for individual people, if you tax them at the same percentage rate and they have more of whatever you're taxing, they'll be paying more by virtue of what a percentage rate is. That's equitable.

As for businesses, if you tax them more, you can guarantee that they'll pass the expense on to the consumer.

I suppose the very rich can often be business owners as well, but I wouldn't combine the arguments.

Eric P said:
i'm referring to the no coercion and no fraud.

Well, there's criminal laws and courts for a reason.

Chrono

Banned
Branduil said:
Instead you trust the charity and goodwill of politicians. Wise choice.

Wow. This is one of those things so stupid it makes me wonder how much of it you actually believe, as if hoping you didn't mean it completely somehow restores some sanity.

Politicians are accountable and can be kicked out and replaced when needed, as will happen to your buddies this year. There's no charity and goodwill here.

JayDubya

Banned
I don't disagree with Branduil. I despise most politicians and the deceit they use to get where they are. I despise the political process such as it is in this country. I would rather the bastards be neutered as much as possible so they can't muck up our daily lives anymore than they already do.

datruth29

pxleyes said:
My point was basically an extension of Jay's argument. Jay referred to the banning of cigarettes in which you gave a good response to. I was extending that argument further by adding alcohol in the mix. I was hoping you could give a similar response in the way that you gave to cigarettes. I'm just trying to flesh out the argument on both sides, and to keep it going.

If you want me to get to a point, I guess it would be that you stated the DEA should go after drugs that are not victimless. My question is do you think that alcohol is a victimless drug? If so, why? If not, why should it be exempt from being banned?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Obama said:
"These are the judgments I've made and the policies that we have to debate, because we do have differences in this election," Obama said. "One of the things that we have to change in this country is the idea that people can't disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism. I have never suggested that Sen. McCain picks his positions on national security based on politics or personal ambition. I have not suggested it because I believe that he genuinely wants to serve America's national interest. Now, it's time for him to acknowledge that I want to do the same."

Obama said:
"Let me be clear: I will let no one question my love of this country," Obama said to applause.

McCain stood before the same audience a day earlier and said Obama "tried to legislate failure" in the Iraq war and had put his ambition to be president above the interests of the United States

LINK

JayDubya said:
Also, that line of reasoning can be taken to some scary places where society lords over all our choices and overrides individual will with coercive force because of any potential health risks.

I'd rather not have that, but at the same time, if I'm going to be paying for other people's health care, I'd rather not have that be regardless of whatever decisions they make in their lives. But, then again, I'd just rather not be paying for other people's health care.

NLB2

Banned
pxleyes said:
I trust the will of the people, or am I wrong in assuming that is what our government is founded on?
You are wrong. Our government was founded on the Constitution of the United States which clearly delineates the roles and responsibilities of our branches of government and guarantees certain rights to Americans. The United States is a democratic nation, but it is not a true democracy, thankfully.

pxleyes said:

Do you think the rich just put all of their money under the mattress and take it out of circulation? You don't need to trust their charity and goodwill, you just need to trust that it will help people. They will either spend it or invest it. Where do you think the money comes from so you can get a mortgage when you haven't saved up $250K to buy a house outright? Where does the money in your paycheck come from?

NLB2 said:
You are wrong. Our government was founded on the Constitution of the United States which clearly delineates the roles and responsibilities of our branches of government and guarantees certain rights to Americans. The United States is a democratic nation, but it is not a true democracy, thankfully.

We're a democratic republic, to be specific.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Summary of potential Republican VP nods -

MITT ROMNEY:
Pros: history of rapid flip-flops will neatly counterbalance McCain's record of stunning policy reversals to achieve perfect pandering equilibrium; ability to suck opponents into the inky void of his soul should prove useful in veep debate; sweats liquid money
Cons: eccentric space-god religion could appear unacceptably bizarre to pious nation of devout two-thousand-year-old Jewish zombie worshipers

JOE LIEBERMAN:
Pros: sure to spice up campaign with torpid, hectoring schoolmarm charm; could unite America with moderate, bipartisan blow-up-the-world ticket
Cons: combined stench of death might might overwhelm unsuspecting Club For Growth members

BOBBY JINDAL:
Pros: least likely to die over the next four to eight years; zeal for castration and exorcism meshes nicely with party's innovative 12th century social policy
Cons: will inevitably be kidnapped and rendered to a secret CIA torture camp upon his first attempt to board Air Force One, missing tie-breaking vote on critical appropriations bill

TIM PAWLENTY
Pros: voters may be unaware that he is actually Republican
Cons: voters may be unaware that he actually exists

THE CRYPTKEEPER:
Pros: balances out McCain ticket with touch of youth and vigor; winning sense of humor sure to charm media and independents alike; foreign policy expertise ensured by unquenchable thirst for death
Cons: may be just a pre-makeup Joe Biden

DICK CHENEY:
Pros: would make an excellent "Cheney figure;" provides for a smooth transition between Cheney administrations; only way to stop him from activating America's secret self-destruct sequence from within his hidden lair in the tip of the Washington Monument
Cons: None. None whatsoever.

scorcho said:
DICK CHENEY:
Pros: would make an excellent "Cheney figure;" provides for a smooth transition between Cheney administrations; only way to stop him from activating America's secret self-destruct sequence from within his hidden lair in the tip of the Washington Monument
I LOL'd

scorcho said:

MITT ROMNEY:
Pros: history of rapid flip-flops will neatly counterbalance McCain's record of stunning policy reversals to achieve perfect pandering equilibrium; ability to suck opponents into the inky void of his soul should prove useful in veep debate; sweats liquid money
Cons: eccentric space-god religion could appear unacceptably bizarre to pious nation of devout two-thousand-year-old Jewish zombie worshipers

JOE LIEBERMAN:
Pros: sure to spice up campaign with torpid, hectoring schoolmarm charm; could unite America with moderate, bipartisan blow-up-the-world ticket
Cons: combined stench of death might might overwhelm unsuspecting Club For Growth members

BOBBY JINDAL:
Pros: least likely to die over the next four to eight years; zeal for castration and exorcism meshes nicely with party's innovative 12th century social policy
Cons: will inevitably be kidnapped and rendered to a secret CIA torture camp upon his first attempt to board Air Force One, missing tie-breaking vote on critical appropriations bill

TIM PAWLENTY
Pros: voters may be unaware that he is actually Republican
Cons: voters may be unaware that he actually exists

THE CRYPTKEEPER:
Pros: balances out McCain ticket with touch of youth and vigor; winning sense of humor sure to charm media and independents alike; foreign policy expertise ensured by unquenchable thirst for death
Cons: may be just a pre-makeup Joe Biden

DICK CHENEY:
lawl That's awesome.

scorcho said:

MITT ROMNEY:

They should have put Mitt toward the bottom, the rest just couldn't live up to the bar set here.

siamesedreamer said:

Unfortunate, but it's not much a violation. From what I can tell, the state system doesn't rely on volunteers, so much as paid workers. That money has to come from somewhere. It's not like there are people standing on street corners saying "Vote Obama! 50 free dollars for your vote!"

numble

080819DailyUpdateGraph1_ujmnbvc.gif

NLB2

Banned
StrikerObi said:
We're a democratic republic, to be specific.
You're right.

By a democratic nation, I meant we have democratic institutions and value democracy.

Thanks for clarifying that.

numble

siamesedreamer said:
Hey, guess what--in southern New Mexico the McCain campaign is offering the local bosses $1000 each to turn up 300 votes through their extended families, locals who depend on them for water access, etc. These are for folks that usually vote Democratic. If you want to talk about buying votes...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So Obama already has made his choice and hasn't told Bid...........errr.........the candidate yet? Is he worried the candidate will leak the information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom