• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Obama/Maddow '08

ObaMaddow '08

Vice President Maddow would make Cheney look like a chump.

Steve Youngblood said:
What happens to Abrams? I wasn't the biggest fan of Verdict, but I found him highly entertaining during his after coverage of the primaries when he had clearly had a few drinks before going on.

Abrams is getting his own show called "Should Hillary be VP??"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Brooks said:
When McCain and his team set out to win the presidency in 2008, they hoped to run a campaign with this sort of spirit. McCain would venture forth on the back of his bus, going places other Republicans don't go, saying things politicians don't say, offering the country the vision of a different kind of politics -- free of circus antics -- in which serious people sacrifice for serious things.

It hasn't turned out that way. McCain hasn't been able to run the campaign he had envisioned. Instead, he and his staff have been given an education by events.

In today's Times. Essentially, McCain wasn't able to run the high-minded campaign a man of his honorable character really, really wanted to run because the indifferent media and Obama's refusal to do town-halls wouldn't let him.

Poor, poor McCain.

The man who hopes to inspire a new generation of Americans now attacks Obama daily. It is the only way he can get the networks to pay attention.

Some old McCain hands are dismayed. John Weaver, the former staff member who helped run the old McCain operation, argues that this campaign does not do justice to the man. The current advisers say they have no choice. They didn’t choose the circumstances of this race. Their job is to cope with them.

Hootie

Rachel is awesome. Too bad for Abrams, though. I didn't exactly like/watch his show too much but it was somewhat entertaining.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You don't need to narrow your vote to extreme liberals, since it wasn't only extreme liberals who had the sense and balls to stand up to Bush and not vote in favor of war with Iraq. (Not to mention those not in congress/senate like Sebelius.) And keep in mind that Obama is using his opposition to the war as a contrast with McCain's support of it as a major point of contrast between them on foreign policy. Just this morning, Obama did it again, talking about how McCain supporting he war showed he had the wrong judgment. Obama can't exempt his veep from that same analysis.
To be honest, I think Obama likely would've voted for the war if he'd been in the senate at the time, as would've Sebelius. But I digress.

My point is that it's time to move on past that. I think it's really big mistake to make that vote the deciding factor, because if you do, then you'd better say goodbye to the idea of adding foreign policy experience to the ticket. At this point, I think it's time to stop holding grudges, and to start talking about what to do next.

And again, of course Obama can exempt his veep from that same analysis. Nobody cares about the veeps. If Obama keeps talking about his foreign policy judgement (something that voters don't seem to be buying into, btw), what's going to happen, is McCain going to attack biden/Bayh? Nobody cares what the veeps did, the veeps don't take away anything from the general message of the tickets, and the veeps are rarely, if ever, targeted by the opponent's campaign.

But we've argued about this many times and neither of us is changing our minds, so maybe we should just drop it.

GhaleonEB

Biden: 'I'm not the guy'

As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden left his home a few minutes ago, golf clubs in tow, he was asked where he was going to be on Saturday.

Biden replied, "Here" and pointed down to his driveway.

As he pulled out of the driveway in the driver's seat of his car he then said to the press gathered near his gate, "You guys have better things to do. I'm not the guy."
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/19/1276323.aspx

Can't wait to see who the media spazzes out about next! :lol

Alcander

all my roommates always give me shit for thinking Maddow is hot. I dunno what it is, but I like it! Who's with me!? (I know shes a lesbian)

Too bad for Abrams. His show wasn't actually bad on some occasions (though I did end up FF through a good portion of it at times). Too bad Maddow couldn't get the Gregory slot. I guess I can deal as long as they keep Gregory as far away from Meet the Press as possible (otherwise I just won't bother watching).

Tamanon

Banned
Alcander said:
all my roommates always give me shit for thinking Maddow is hot. I dunno what it is, but I like it! Who's with me!? (I know shes a lesbian)

She has a pretty large crush following. I think it's the confidence.

RubxQub

GhaleonEB said:

What sucks is that I've now heard two male oriented responses when referring to the VP choice.

Obama said something yesterday about "him", now Biden says something today about "that guy".

If it's Bayh, I'm going to become Bi and start fucking people as I drive by and wave bye.

If it's Kaine, I'm going to break both my legs and walk with a cane and get wisdom from Deckard Cain as I eat sugar cane.

Fuck them both. FUCK EM!

the disgruntled gamer said:
To be honest, I think Obama likely would've voted for the war if he'd been in the senate at the time

yes.

people don't understand what kind of intelligence was being fed to the senate -- and nobody at the time knew how corrupt the white house was back then, so the faulty intelligence was taken very, very seriously.

TDG

Banned
maynerd said:
I have no idea why you would say this.
It's just what I suspect. It's easy to take a stand for what you believe in when you have no power in the matter, but had he caucused with the other democrats, been in the midst of all that was going on, in the midst of all the things people (and the white house) were saying, etc, I don't know that he would've stood on the senate floor and voted against the war.

Tamanon

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
yes.

people don't understand what kind of intelligence was being fed to the senate -- and nobody at the time knew how corrupt the white house was back then, so the faulty intelligence was taken very, very seriously.

I dunno, the NIE was questioned by a sizable portion of Senators/representatives. The central claims were all based off one informant.

Alcander said:

She is reminiscent of a certain Colts quarterback.

peyton_manning.jpg

398px-Rachel_Maddow_1.JPG

maynerd

Banned
It's just what I suspect. It's easy to take a stand for what you believe in when you have no power in the matter, but had he caucused with the other democrats, been in the midst of all that was going on, in the midst of all the things people (and the white house) were saying, etc, I don't know that he would've stood on the senate floor and voted against the war.

Here's what he said in October 2002.

I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances. The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil.

I Don't Oppose All Wars

I don't oppose all wars. My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton's army. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil.

I don't oppose all wars. After September 11, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again.

Opposed to Dumb, Rash Wars

I don't oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income, to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression.

That's what I'm opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics.

On Saddam Hussein

Now let me be clear: I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power.... The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him.

But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors...and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences.

I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda.

I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars. So for those of us who seek a more just and secure world for our children, let us send a clear message to the president.

You Want a Fight, President Bush?

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's finish the fight with Bin Laden and al-Qaeda, through effective, coordinated intelligence, and a shutting down of the financial networks that support terrorism, and a homeland security program that involves more than color-coded warnings.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to make sure that...we vigorously enforce a nonproliferation treaty, and that former enemies and current allies like Russia safeguard and ultimately eliminate their stores of nuclear material, and that nations like Pakistan and India never use the terrible weapons already in their possession, and that the arms merchants in our own country stop feeding the countless wars that rage across the globe.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to make sure our so-called allies in the Middle East, the Saudis and the Egyptians, stop oppressing their own people, and suppressing dissent, and tolerating corruption and inequality, and mismanaging their economies so that their youth grow up without education, without prospects, without hope, the ready recruits of terrorist cells.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to wean ourselves off Middle East oil through an energy policy that doesn't simply serve the interests of Exxon and Mobil.

Those are the battles that we need to fight. Those are the battles that we willingly join. The battles against ignorance and intolerance. Corruption and greed. Poverty and despair.

RubxQub

polyh3dron said:
Yeah that pic = unflattering to say the least.. but she always looks good when she's on Countdown.

Agreed, I like my Maddow like this:

Rachel-maddow-724113.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/rachel-maddow-to-replace-dan-abrams-on-msnbc/

Mr. Abrams, who is well liked at MSNBC, is expected to remain at both that network and at NBC News, where he is the chief legal correspondent. He will also serve as an anchor during some of MSNBC’s daytime coverage, as well as a substitute host on NBC’s “Today” show, Mr. Griffin said.

Contacted by phone Tuesday, Mr. Abrams said “Putting my general manager’s hat back on, considering where the network is right now, it is actually the right call.”

Looks like Abrams is still pretty satisfied, that makes me think they're going to find another show for him.

GhaleonEB

I get a kick out of watching the media create their own short list, only to have them exposed for being hilariously wrong. Here's the Intrade graph for Biden from this morning (from Ben Smith):

bidenintrade.jpg

It spiked all the way up to $55 since then.

And is crashing big time right now. Anyone who shorted that is making a killing. :lol

GhaleonEB said:

As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden left his home a few minutes ago, golf clubs in tow, he was asked where he was going to be on Saturday.

Biden replied, "Here" and pointed down to his driveway.

As he pulled out of the driveway in the driver's seat of his car he then said to the press gathered near his gate, "You guys have better things to do. I'm not the guy."

Yes!!!! :D

Sebelius vs Kaine vs Bayh

RubxQub

GAF Official Correct Democratic VP Power Rankings of You Are Wrong If You Disagree
1. Sebelius
2. Clark
3. Bayh
4. Kaine

Deus Ex Machina said:
Yes!!!! :D

Sebelius vs Kaine vs Bayh

Sebelius adds no value to the ticket at all. She's not an attack dog like Hillary. She will not be able to carry her home state. She's about as exciting as Bayh is on the stump.

Obama could have other reasons if he ultimately picks her but as of now, I don't see doing anything but upsetting the Hillary die-hards (though, they most likely won't vote for Obama anyway).

I've seen that many times before. What's your point?
His point is that there's strong recorded evidence contradicting your point, and nothing tangible to support it. You're just making broad assumptions without a shred of evidence to back them.

TDG

Banned
Oh my god, why do people want Sebelius on the ticket? She adds absolutely nothing to the ticket. Nobody's heard of her, nobody cares about her, she's not going appease the few disgruntled Hillary supporters who remain, she's not going to help in any key areas, and she has the charisma of a dead horse. She. Adds. Nothing. To the ticket. Nothing.

maynerd said:
That was his position at the time.
I know what his position was at the time. ...And he wasn't in the senate at the time. I'm just not sure that, had he been a senator at the time, he would've said those things or voted against the war. Had he seen the intelligence the other senators saw, had he been involved in the democratic caucuses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom