• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
He didn't even "start in politics" at Ayers' house.:lol

The ad signals the emergence of the type of tough advertising by independent organizations that operate outside the financial limits of campaign finance law. It is reminiscent of the Swift Boat ads aired against John Kerry four years ago questioning his military service and are widely blamed by Democrats for contributing to his defeat.

Organizers sought to air the ad on Fox News Channel, but a Fox spokesman said the network declined to run it.

Ayers is now a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He and Obama live in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood and served together on the board of the Woods Fund, a Chicago-based charity that develops community groups to help the poor. Obama left the board in December 2002.

It's actually funny when even FOX refuses to air it, but I'm sure Hannity will make sure and air it a couple times for free.

TDG

Banned
I don't understand the logic behind Obama needing Hillary. Any advantage she would provide would be negated by the stupid shit Bill would say, and by the record turnout by Republicans who want to keep her away from the presidency.

minus_273 said:
the key is having people ask how are ayers methods any different from bin laden's. he probably killed fewer innocent people but thats about it.

Yea, you don't know shit about the group ayers was a part of.

They called ahead to places they were going to bomb, only people killed by the group were some members of the group who detonated a device by mistake...

But I guess you show off the effectiveness of the ad.

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
I don't understand the logic behind Obama needing Hillary. Any advantage she would provide would be negated by the stupid shit Bill would say, and by the record turnout by Republicans who want to keep her away from the presidency.
The generally sane Nate posted this over at fivethirtyeight yesterday:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/08/case-for-hillary.html

It almost - almost! - had me thinking going with Hillary wouldn't be so bad for a moment.

speculawyer said:
White power sent to McCain office in Colorado . . . well, I see Karl Rove is up to his old tricks.

2d6k5za.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Yea, you don't know shit about the group ayers was a part of.

They called ahead to places they were going to bomb, only people killed by the group were some members of the group who detonated a device by mistake...

But I guess you show off the effectiveness of the ad.

He's a Randroid, his absorption of things at face value is astounding.

quaere

Wow, that Ayers ad hits far harder than Rezko ever will. That Obama launched his political career in Ayers' house and then his recent defense of him establishes a timeline that strongly suggests a relationship even if there actually isn't one. And it's all true too!

Too bad for the McCain campaign it's from a third party organization, if they had held this until closer to the election it could have been the bump to put them over the top.

TDG

Banned
Man, from reading this thread you'd think the election was over. Compare this to a week after Obama became the presumptive nominee, where people were predicting record blowouts.

I look forward to seeing the victorious attitudes when Obama's up by 10 in most polls post-convention, and the doom and gloom when McCain takes a big lead after the RNC.

tanod

when is my burrito

Logic and Hillary do not belong in the same sentence. The last two months of the Hillary Clinton primary campaign was the real-life equivalent of watching a GAF meltdown.

Man, from reading this thread you'd think the election was over. Compare this to a week after Obama became the presumptive nominee, where people were predicting record blowouts.

I look forward to seeing the victorious attitudes when Obama's up by 10 in most polls post-convention, and the doom and gloom when McCain takes a big lead after the RNC.
The general sentiment is that Obama needs to respond to some of these ridiculous ads. If he doesn't he will lose the election. I'm not sure many are predicting his end quite yet.

GhaleonEB

Heck, look at this morning when Obama was on the attack and McCain's campaign was crumbling. Now Ayres and Rezko are back and it's all over. As if those were not the two most predictable skeletons that could possibly be hauled out and we all weren't expecting it all along.

(Side note: Obama actually had a pretty good state polling day.)

Tamanon

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
The general sentiment is that Obama needs to respond to some of these ridiculous ads. If he doesn't he will lose the election. I'm not sure many are predicting his end quite yet.

The Rezko ad will get a response, just trotting out all the info he's said and vindication. It's a stupid tact. Ayers will probably just get the same media response it did before.

TDG

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I don't think I've heard many people say that.

The best thing Obama can do is not acknowledge them, and stay on the attack. If he responds, it validates the claims, everything gets all muddy, and eventually most voters are too confused by all the claims and counter-claims, so they just go with the claims.

Are the ads nasty? Sure. but it remains to be seen how the media will end up reacting overall, and how voters will respond to it. These claims are both old, and were unsuccessful in the primaries. It's best not to escalate this.

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA at a townhall meeting tonight in Chesapeake, Virginia

r4140468319.jpg

US Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) steps off his campaign bus as he arrives for a town hall meeting in Chesapeake, Virginia August 21, 2008. REUTERS/Jim Young

capt.737d2e26776a4cf8954c39cd055292de.obama_2008_vaab138.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. steps off the bus to attend a town hall meeting, Thursday, Aug. 21,2008, at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake, Va.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.6cc1b664c9e0492f991fa753f803fbce.obama_2008_vash113.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama,D-Ill., gestures during a town hall meeting, Thursday, Aug. 21,2008, at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake, Va. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

capt.97c9feaaf24d4088be98a4baae69ff07.obama_2008_vash114.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama,D-Ill., is welcomed by the crowd as he arrives for a town hall meeting at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake, Va., Thursday, Aug. 21, 2008.
(AP Photo/Steve Helber)

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12155322/

A golden oldie:

But he took more questions, including a pointed one on his immigration plan.

McCain responded by saying immigrants were taking jobs nobody else wanted. He offered anybody in the crowd $50 an hour to pick lettuce in Arizona.

Shouts of protest rose from the crowd, with some accepting McCain’s job offer.

“I’ll take it!” one man shouted.

McCain insisted none of them would do such menial labor for a complete season. “You can’t do it, my friends.”

Some in the crowd said they didn’t appreciate McCain questioning their work ethic.

besada

Banned
JayDubya said:
Being a career soldier is the same as doing nothing and getting paid for it? :lol

He wasn't a career soldier, though. He's spent less than a third of his life as a soldier, and yet the state paid for his birth and will pay for his funeral, not to mention paying for all his health care in between and his college.

And yet he thinks the state paying for health care is wrong. He thinks the state paying for college is wrong. Except when the state provides him cradle to grave health care and education.

As soon as it was apparent he wouldn't make Admiral, he found another way to suck off the state's tit, and was cushioned in his transition by his father-in-law's money, who also provided the cash to get him a job as a Congressman, where he could safely ensconce himself in the protective arms of the state forever.

Pretty weird history for a guy who fights state funded health care and education. At least your average Republican free-market douche had to make his own way at some point in his life. McCain rode his dad's shirt-tail into the Navy, then rode his father-in-law's into the Congress (although he had to get rid of his pesky first wife, first).

quaere

Tamanon said:
He didn't even "start in politics" at Ayers' house.:lol
“I can remember being one of a small group of people who came to Bill Ayers’ house to learn that Alice Palmer was stepping down from the senate and running for Congress,” said Dr. Quentin Young, a prominent Chicago physician and advocate for single-payer health care, of the informal gathering at the home of Ayers and his wife, Dohrn. “[Palmer] identified [Obama] as her successor.”
Are you disputing this account?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
aswedc said:
Are you disputing this account?
Quick question:

Do you know fucking anything about Obama's past?

My signs point to...no!

TDG

Banned
aswedc said:
Wow, that Ayers ad hits far harder than Rezko ever will. That Obama launched his political career in Ayers' house and then his recent defense of him establishes a timeline that strongly suggests a relationship even if there actually isn't one. And it's all true too!

Too bad for the McCain campaign it's from a third party organization, if they had held this until closer to the election it could have been the bump to put them over the top.
This post is sarcasm, right?

quaere

RubxQub said:
Quick question:

Do you know fucking anything about Obama's past?

My signs point to...no!
How about explaining your position instead of being a fucking condescending asshole?

My understanding is Obama's first elected position was as an Illinois state senator, in 1996, succeeding Alice Palmer, who had anointed him her successor (apparently in the Ayers house) until she subsequently changed her mind.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:
Heck, look at this morning when Obama was on the attack and McCain's campaign was crumbling. Now Ayres and Rezko are back and it's all over. As if those were not the two most predictable skeletons that could possibly be hauled out and we all weren't expecting it all along.

(Side note: Obama actually had a pretty good state polling day.)

It screams of desperation that the McCain campaign had to pull out two of their three potential trump cards.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
has anyone heard about obama's long lost brother? just saw it on the front page of the national post. apparently he is ashamed of being his brother.. and a bunch of other crap. reaching! ive yet to see anything about mccain's ex-wife on a front page. :(

RubxQub

aswedc said:
How about explaining your position instead of being a fucking condescending asshole?
How about you do a little research before you try and grandstand your opinion.

Here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

Check out what's going on from '85-'96 yourself.

Tamanon

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
has anyone heard about obama's long lost brother? just saw it on the front page of the national post. apparently he is ashamed of being his brother.. and a bunch of other crap. reaching! ive yet to see anything about mccain's ex-wife on a front page. :(

Yeah, he's got half-brothers all over the place, his dad was a manwhore.

RubxQub

Tamanon said:
Yeah, he's got half-brothers all over the place, his dad was a manwhore.
Yeeeeeeeeap.

Obama's father the polygamist, more news @ 9.

RubxQub

Odrion said:
http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=1747

Huh?

I'm more in support for Obama Sebelius than Obama Bin Laden.
Never heard of this website, but the information appeals to my personal wants, therefore it is now the most credible piece of news I've read all my life.

quaere

RubxQub said:
How about you do a little research before you try and grandstand your opinion.

Here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

Check out what's going on from '85-'96 yourself.
Community organizer, law school, law school instructor = political career? Yeah, you're stretching. A politician is someone who holds elected office. Obama started that in 96 in the Illinois state senate.

RubxQub

aswedc said:
Community organizer, law school, law school instructor = political career? Yeah, you're stretching. A politician is someone who holds elected office. Obama started that in 96 in the Illinois state senate.
Excellent job changing the basis of the argument. Please troll elsewhere.

quaere

RubxQub said:
Excellent job changing the basis of the argument. Please troll elsewhere.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If we aren't arguing about when Obama started his political career, what the fuck are we arguing about? I posted about NOTHING ELSE in the post you quoted and called me out for supposedly not knowing anything about Obama's past.

RubxQub

aswedc said:

If we aren't arguing about when Obama started his political career, what the fuck are we arguing about? I posted about NOTHING ELSE in the post you quoted and called me out for supposedly not knowing anything about Obama's past.
...dude. Fucking read what you quoted.

He didn't even "start in politics" at Ayers house.

My answer to you was simple. No he did not "start in politics" at Ayers house. You then changed the argument into "when he became a politician".

It's not complicated. It really isn't.

Clevinger

aswedc said:

Being a community organizer is a "start in politics".

RubxQub

Clevinger said:
Being a community organizer is a "start in politics".
...and lets not forget his degree in Political Science or his law degree, or teaching law.

None of which apparently have anything to do with politics.

numble

aswedc said:

I know people who are running the entire field campaigns for swing states--basically the people trusted to strategize, direct and run the state, to get the votes to make or break a state's electoral votes--who initially started as community organizers... but lol they have not started their political careers yet amirite?

quaere

RubxQub said:
...dude. Fucking read what you quoted.

My answer to you was simple. No he did not "start in politics" at Ayers house. You then changed the argument into "when he became a politician".

It's not complicated. It really isn't.
I see...so you're arguing between "start in politics" and the start of his "political career". Then it is Tamanon who misquoted the ad - the Ayers ad uses the language "political career"

Gotta ask, so is the desired allegation that Obama chose to organize this meeting at Ayres house because they are such good friends?

Because logically if an incumbent was going to endorse me to take their seat, I would likely be prone to attend the meeting made to announce this endorsement. Doesn't really mean I have some deep ties with the owner of the house it's at.

Furthermore, serving on a board with someone does not prove deep ties as well. Obama did not form the board then ask Ayres to join it with him. They had similar positions that were primarily independent of one another.

We post on the same message board, am I going to be linked to whatever dumbass decisions/comments some of our "upstanding citizens" here at GAF commit?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Byakuya769 said:
We post on the same message board, am I going to be linked to whatever dumbass decisions/comments some of our "upstanding citizens" here at GAF commit?

David Lynch's Dune is a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom