• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
grandjedi6 said:
Did you choose the Netherlands option? Why did you choose the Netherlands option?

Of course not.

At least i dont think so.

It was all in english so i didnt think it was. I'll try again, but it doesnt seem to be loading for me now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No, it simply is. It's proponents have tried to turn it into many things, including an extension of the first amendment, but it is mainly about who is paying the bills for the development of the hardware behind the internet.
I don't even know what you're trying to argue... unless this is some kind of bullshit libertarian stand.

Net neutrality, as pertaining to legislation that's been under debate in Congress for way too long now, has everything to do with ISPs not dictating what and how users can access the Internet.

If you want to pretend that should be called something else, whatever. There isn't a chance in hell the public would be against protecting that concept if they were aware it was an issue.

JayDubya

Banned
Ron Paul
You are 17% more economic right
You are 1% more traditional
You have a substantive agreement of 82%

John McCain
You are 20% more economic right
You are 31% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 63%

Hillary Clinton
You are 70% more economic right
You are 18% more traditional
You have a substantive agreement of 40%

Barack Obama
You are 61% more economic right
You are 34% more traditional
You have a substantive agreement of 44%

Nothing I didn't already know.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is mine

35lzour.jpg

ta4rqd.jpg

dam it. I wish mine would work but all i get is words in dutch. Cookies or something prevent me from starting a brand new one as my answers seem to be saved everytime i start it up.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm economically left to Obama. and a bit more liberal. But otherwise, I sit at his top left corner.

Bit disappointing to hear he wants to spend more on military. but it's not like there's anyone else out there for me.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gamer @ Heart said:
dam it. I wish mine would work but all i get is words in dutch. Cookies or something prevent me from starting a brand new one as my answers seem to be saved everytime i start it up.
Then just erase your cookies

Zaptruder said:
I'm economically left to Obama. and a bit more liberal. But otherwise, I sit at his top left corner.

Bit disappointing to hear he wants to spend more on military. but it's not like there's anyone else out there for me.

Personally I think it is kinda crazy to want to spend less.

when I take this test on Saturday, Clinton's face better be X'ed out!

edit: I support military spending in a "support the troops!" type of way, but not in a "let's fight wars of aggression and maintain bases around the world" type of way. It's not like we don't already spend a lot on military expenditures anyhow, *shrug*

I guess I just think a defense budget shouldn't be an offense budget (which is what it seems to have become)

AniHawk

20pu9tv.jpg

Barack Obama
You are 10% more economic left
You are equally social-liberal as social-conservative
You have a substantive agreement of 80%

Hillary Clinton
You are as economic right as economic left
You are 16% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 75%

Ron Paul
You are 57% more economic left
You are 33% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 50%

John McCain
You are 50% more economic left
You are 65% more progressive
You have a substantive agreement of 39%

...I don't think I was THAT far left on the GAF political compass thing.

Triumph

Banned
Mandark said:
No doubt Hillary took a lot of heat because she was the frontrunner, then the main competition to the most popular candidate on GAF, and cause her campaign turned pretty sour.

But that in no way justifies using a bigoted tone for the criticism towards her. Using bigotry as a vehicle for personal attacks just turns it into a general swipe at an entire group, usually a marginalized one at that. Women deal with enough crap without having that added to the pile.

I hope I never tinge my rants about Condi Rice with racism, and as much as the sight of Joe Lieberman angers me, if anyone used him to trot out some anti-semitic stereotype I would hie myself to #ga and throw a massive shitfit until that person was banned.
I agree with what you say, although my point was that the coverage of her IN THE MEDIA was harsh because she was the frontrunner, and that harshness unfortunately often took the form of sexist remarks. On the internets it's another thing altogether, as people all too often take advantage of the relative anonymity to engage in unfortunate attacks on people.

I will say that some of the things that I said about her this primary season could have been construed as sexist- I think I called her "shrill" and a harpy quite a bit. For me that was motivated by my intense dislike of her as a person and the wing of the party that she represents. Champion of the working people my fat American ass, you DLC shill.

Farmboy

C&P from the other thread, my take on the Veepstakes (added Kaine, Schweitzer)

Richardson:
+ Foreign policy experience and otherwise great resume
+ Will actually seal up his home state (few VP-choices can)
+ Popular in the West, where Obama can use some help
+ Pro-gun, could help with certain demographics (some say he might actually put Texas in play, but I think that's far-fetched)
+ Asset with Hispanics
- Black/Hispanic ticket may be too much rainbow for crucial blue collar voters in OH/PA
- Won't help to bring back Hillary supporters, especially since the Clinton camp went haywire on him when he 'defected' (also, rumoured sexism problems)
- Not really a 'blue collar' guy despite pro-gun record
- Gaffe-prone

Clark:
+ Will help bring unity, being a Clintonite
+ Foreign policy experience
+ Opposed Iraq from the start
- Not much of a campaigner, wouldn't help put additional states in play
- Never held elected office

Sebelius:
+ Very popular governor with ties to battleground Ohio
+ Good relationship with Obama
+ Moderate, liked in Midwest
+ Known as great speaker (poor State of the Union performance notwithstanding)
- Not polling well in SUSA matchups, even in Midwest (probably just name recognition though)
- Black/Woman ticket may be too much rainbow for crucial blue collar voters
- Putting a woman on the ticket that's not Hillary may be viewed as a snub by Clinton supporters
- Doesn't add foreign policy experience

Edwards:
+ Polling well, well-known and liked
+ Is more popular now than he was in 2004
+ Seasoned campaigner, looks good on camera, vetted, not prone to making gaffes
+ Could help bring in blue collar voters
- Not a winner (didn't carry his home state in '04, though he might this year)

Bloomberg:
+ Economic expert in an election that's about the economy, stupid
+ Good relationship with Obama
+ Very popular with independents
+ Will help with Jewish vote in PA and FL
- Black/Jewish ticket may be too much rainbow for crucial blue collar voters
- Adding a billionaire to the ticket does little to combat elitism claims (and Obama doesn't really need the money), not a 'blue collar' guy

Webb:
+ Vietnam veteran that opposed the war, perceived as having foreign policy experience
+ Could help with blue collar voters
+ Has increased visibility with GI Bill (an issue where he and Obama come out on the 'popular' side, in contrast to both Bush and McCain) and recent book
+ Securing Virginia would go a long way towards EC victory
- Not especially popular in Virginia (Warner and Kaine would be better choices on that front)
- Has a reputation as something of a male chauvinist that could harm unity
- Guaranteed to say or do something controversial before November
- Senator/Senator ticket traditionally a no-no

Kaine:
+ Popular governor; securing Virginia would go a long way towards EC victory
+ Catholic with Midwestern roots could bring in blue collar voters
+ Fluent in Spanish; could be instrumental in wooing hispanic vote
+ Would pass the vetting process with flying colors
- While popular, success of his governership is debatable

Schweitzer:
+ Great speaker, with a populist tinge that could complement Obama's more soaring style well
+ Populist, one-liner-driven style should connet well with 'low info voters'
+ 'Gore choice': reinforces the message
+ Popular governor in Big Sky region, could bring Montana in play
+ Rising star in party that could be well-positioned for a 2016 run
- Doesn't add foreign policy experience, or much other experience
- 'Gore choice': doesn't balance the ticket
- Taking VP could leave Dem state operation in disarray

Cheebs

Diablos said:

That was in April. He has been far more wishy-washy about it lately, even doing that weekend visit with romney and crist a few weeks back.

btw it wont be crist. Charlie Crist is gay. Even if he hasn't made it public if he is picked SOMEONE in the media underworld like drudge or something will dig up evidence of him being with a guy and it will cause McCain's candidacy to implode. America is barely ready for a black guy, they are nowhere near ready for a Gay VP.

syllogism

To be released by RASMUSSEN: National Poll Shows Bounce for Obama; Obama now leads McCain 48% to 43%.... Developing...

Could just be noise but I'll take it

ps.

obama704.jpg

I'm probably in reality a bit more right economically but close enough

Zeed

Banned
I think it's going to be Jindal or Romney. I'm hoping that it ends up being Romney.

Jindal scares me, and even though I doubt he'd help McCain, I don't even want the possibility of him becoming VP. His stances on creationism, abortion, and nearly every other evangelical issue are just terrifying.

I'd love to meet a Hillary supporter bitter enough to vote for a ticket with Jindal on it.

Dhx

I'm starting up a SE quadrant defense force. We may be few, but we shall hold our own due to 10x military spending.

Zeed said:
I think it's going to be Jindal or Romney. I'm hoping that it ends up being Romney.

Jindal scares me, and even though I doubt he'd help McCain, I don't even want the possibility of him becoming VP. His stances on creationism, abortion, and nearly every other evangelical issue are just terrifying.

I'd love to meet a Hillary supporter bitter enough to vote for a ticket with Jindal on it.

I think it'll be Romney because he'll deliver Michigan - which has gone Blue the last 2 elections.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DarkhawkX said:
I'm starting up a SE quadrant defense force. We may be few, but we shall hold our own due to 10x military spending.
In past threads, that quadrant was labeled "Orwellian Nightmare". ;)

RyanDG

Interesting quiz -

Barack Obama
You are 13% more economic right
You are equally social-liberal as social-conservative
You have a substantive agreement of 72%

Seems about right.

pxleyes

Banned
King_Slender said:
I think it'll be Romney because he'll deliver Michigan - which has gone Blue the last 2 elections.
Picking Romney will overshadow McCain. I hope to go he picks him. Take Michigan. The rest of the country will be Obama's.

Cheebs

King_Slender said:
I live in MI, no way we aren't going blue. We blame our economic woes as the state with the worst economic downfall on the republicans in DC.

MI hates republicans now. Dems are going to pick up 2 congressional seats here. And Dems control the state government and both senate seats.

The car unions and the detroit political machine will deliver the state for Obama.

The only reason MI looked red in polling earlier was because of the delegate situation. Now that it's been dealt with you should see a move in his direction soon.

Cheebs

typhonsentra said:
The only reason MI looked red in polling earlier was because of the delegate situation. Now that it's been dealt with you should see a move in his direction soon.
Exactly. Plus MI, of all the mid-west states (unless you count PA as mid-west) has the best democratic machinery. Unions + Detroit political machine make sure this state goes Dem. I live here, 0% chance of it going McCain.

WTF McCain's lead in West Virgina is only in the single digits! :lol
West Virginia: McCain 45% Obama 38%

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Barack Obama
You are 22% more economic left
You are 3% more progressive

Some of those questions are very very very unique to America. It's interesting, because my country is pretty politically diverse, but I'd say that pretty much everyone in the country would end up answering pretty much the same thing to all of those questions.

I'm pretty much a dead centrist where I am; I vote for the centrist party, and I'm probably a little to the right of most supports of that particular party. In this quiz, I'm socially and economically far left of Obama. If fact, if I uncheck gun control, which I am nominally "conservative" on, I'm as far up and left as you can possibly get.

The following issues aren't even up for debate where I live: creationism, gay marriage, illegal immigration, abortion, Iraq, UHC, death penalty, stem cell research, UN contributions/multilateralism, and progressive taxation. There's near unanimous consensus on those issues politically.

Hell, even on the environment; the debate here is between carbon taxes and cap-and-trade schemes, not being action or inaction.

Our prime minister right now is literally the most conservative one we've had in the modern era of the country, and he'd be somewhere just to the right of Hillary in terms of practice (he's just the prime minister) and probably a little further right and down if he had presidential-like control.

I was surprised at the lack of questions on, for example, privatization of government servies like prisons, rehabilitative justice, government provision of daycare, government provision of dental health and insurance, telecommunications regulation and ownership issues, public broadcasting and funding, decriminalization and legalization of drugs, youth justice issues, multiculturalism issues, the role of police in parole boards and judicial nomination boards, and federal-local jurisdictional issues--the issues that actually define the political spectrum in my country.

syllogism

Stumpokapow said:
The following issues aren't even up for debate where I live: creationism, gay marriage, illegal immigration, abortion, Iraq, UHC, death penalty, stem cell research, UN contributions/multilateralism, and progressive taxation. There's near unanimous consensus on those issues politically.
Many of these should not even be labeled conservative/liberal

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm off to the Democratic State Convention. Not trying to be a national delegate (too much work).. hopefully I can meet a hot young clinton supporter in town for the weekend and band the shit out of her for party unity.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Many of these should not even be labeled conservative/liberal
to be fair to mccain on creationism he is someone who believes in evolution and has called charles darwin one of his heroes.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
to be fair to mccain on creationism he is someone who believes in evolution and has called charles darwin one of his heroes.
Another reason why I think Jindal has no chance. Not only it might scare away some of the "will not vote for a black man" vote, it might also scare away social moderates.

e: I see Zeed mentioned this

tanod

when is my burrito
On electoral compass, I ended up between Ron Paul and Barack Obama but was closer to Obama.

On the individual issues, I matched up with Obama about 60% of the time, Ron Paul about 30% and McCain and Giuliani about 10% of the time.

theBishop

Banned
Here's Me:
c97f0545.png

That questionnaire didn't ask about a lot of important issues. It was a lot of wedge issues specific to the US, and not so much about actual political philosophy.

Why should the Iraq war be a left/right issue, for instance? Traditional conservatives have just as much cause to oppose the Iraq war as liberals.

tanod

when is my burrito
The health care questions, I thought, were weird. Neither Obama or HRC want the government to provide the care themselves. Their plans are for everybody to have insurance.

Triumph

Banned
tanod said:
The health care questions, I thought, were weird. Neither Obama or HRC want the government to provide the care themselves. Their plans are for everybody to have insurance.
Yeah, I wanted my single payer option! iViva Socialized Medicine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom