• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdunn

Hitokage said:

Wiki
Certain radioactive elements (such as plutonium-239) in “spent” fuel will remain hazardous to humans and other living beings for hundreds of thousands of years. Other radioisotopes will remain hazardous for millions of years. Thus, these wastes must be shielded for centuries and isolated from the living environment for hundreds of millennia.

Check.

cjdunn said:
Nuclear energy isn't clean. It's the kind of dirty that lasts for 10,000 years. [Edit:] Okay, not carbon dirty, but still...

Yeah by clean I meant it would not emit CO2 into the atmosphere.

You've been misinformed. It would take a decade to get a safe plant running. They're not apartment buildings, you know. Not to mention the political firestorm locally communities would start when the zoning license applications are submitted.

Yes it appears I have actually, just read about a plant being built in the UK which is going to take about 10 years to build. Regardless though, the earlier we start building these plants the better. Just look at the French and how they run 75% of their energy off of Nuclear Energy. Their foresight is benefiting them at the moment.

I really don't see substantial reasoning to not at least allow for private corporations to be able to start producing plants in the United States.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
out of curiosity, why does it take so long to build a nuclear power plant?

demon said:
out of curiosity, why does it take so long to build a nuclear power plant?

My guess is a lot of regulation is in place to ensure 100% that the plant will be safe. They could probably build them faster, but it would risk the safety of the plant.

I am sure as more and more are being built, the better the technology will get, which will increase building efficiency.

Amir0x

Banned
ClockWidgetHead.jpg

:lol

reilo said:

Is that a parody site? That has to be.

Nah. It's just desperation.

The behavior of Republicans and the Republican party, since Barack Obama won the nomination, has made me very hopeful for Obama's chances in November.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm dead serious, that website looks like it's a mockery done by the Daily Show. There is not a single thing on there that discusses issues.

NewLib

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Both sites are exclusively about Obama!

Republicans only chance is if they make Obama a scary prospect. McCain isnt going to drive people to the polls. What will drive people to the polls is if they are scared of Obama to be President.

Why is everyone so shocked? Were you guys asleep the past 8 years? This is the Republican Party people.

If anything the RNC is smart for running this sort of campaign against Obama.

Cheebs

NewLib said:
Republicans only chance is if they make Obama a scary prospect. McCain isnt going to drive people to the polls. What will drive people to the polls is if they are scared of Obama to be President.
Exactly. This election is about Obama. Obama IS the 2008 election. Either Americans rally to him or they are scared of him and reject him.

NewLib

Banned
Cheebs said:
Exactly. This election is about Obama. Obama IS the 2008 election. Either Americans rally to him or they are scared of him and reject him.

I also dont know if the fact Obama is going to be front and center for a full year before election night compared to the usual 3 months will help him.

Excitement as a human emotion doesnt last as long as fear. Im afraid the college crowd will get bored with Obama and wont come on election day because of how long this is going to last. I also fear the extended campaign time is going to give Republicans more time to build up the fear aspect.

I personally see this election looking very similar to the 2004 election. Both in how its run from both sides, and how the public perceives both candidates. Whoever wins... will win barely.

Edit: But thats really not important now. We got 5 months until November so any talk of who wins now is so pointless its ridiculous. I really wish this thread focused a bit more on talking about the issues... and I really wish we had some more republicans on GAF to have debates.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
NewLib said:
I also dont know if the fact Obama is going to be front and center for a full year before election night compared to the usual 3 months will help him.

Excitement as a human emotion doesnt last as long as fear. Im afraid the college crowd will get bored with Obama and wont come on election day because of how long this is going to last. I also fear the extended campaign time is going to give Republicans more time to build up the fear aspect.

I'd argue that the general populace fears another Bush presidency more-so right now. At least, I hope they do.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
reilo said:

Is that a parody site? That has to be.

Days Since Obama Visited Iraq
Days Since Obama Invited To Townhalls
The RNC site is pretty damn embarrassing.

It's clear they acknowledge that the path to victory is not publicizing McCain, it's attempting to depublicize Barack. But it's really because they love him so...

RNC Goon: (drying tears) Oh shit... that Barack gives a good god damn speech...like fuck.

RNC Tard: Amen!

RNC Goon: Ok ok...we've got to keep it together.

RNC Tard: Right right... so what do you think we should put on the website?

RNC Goon: Well, McCain's face should be front and center. The people need to clearly see who our candidate is!

RNC Tard: Eh...I don't know...

RNC Goon: What?

RNC Tard: It's... well... you know. You've seen him, right? You really want that mug representing our party's website? Holy shit my kids will have liver spotted nightmares.

RNC Goon: Fuck, you're right.

RNC Tard: So no McCain on the site. If people have a chance to see this guy it will be fucking devastating in the polls.

RNC Tard: (nods)

RNC Goon: I propose we put up pictures of Obama! I've got a shitload of them in my private folder. There's this one where he's wearing jeans, ya know? And like, he lifted his one leg up on a bus seat.

RNC Goon: That's my desktop! Who's got a little captain in them?!

RNC Goon/Tard: OBAMA!!!

(high fives)

NewLib

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I personally see this election looking very similar to the 2004 election. Both in how its run from both sides, and how the public perceives both candidates. Whoever wins... will win barely.

I guess in the way that 2004 was all about Bush, which backfired totally against Democrats. Maybe this will backfire against the Republicans.

There are some smart fellows here on GAF that are not of the Democratic persuasion. Gaborn and JayDubya spring to mind. We need conservatives in this thread, though. Republicans no longer represent true conservatives.

Okay, so you may remember back in February I started a blog that compiled all the Obama (and McCain and Clinton) campaign news and whatnot. Well, it's grown to the point where I have about 400-500 unique visitors each day.

Yay. :)

But things have definitely leveled off in terms of growing the number of visitors. I have a digg link at the bottom of each post and whatnot (currently at 185 diggs), and I share the link with people on the Obama HQ blog, but that's about it in terms of advertising.

Any suggestions on how to grow this further? Any ideas would be appreciated.

For anyone who wants to find it, it's the first result when you google "cuban for obama."

Karma Kramer said:

the 2004 election was one of those that ended before it began. that was still when an armada of terrorists were trying to turn the US into crater between the atlantic and pacific, and President Rambo and his party were still the ones brave enough to fight them. and only cowards questioned things. granted, it was dying down by latter 2004 and the cracks in the iraq war were beginning to show. but yeah... i really don't think it'll be anything like that election.

TDG

Banned
Cheebs said:
I agree. I think in this election the choices are:
Obama
Not Obama

Tyrone Slothrop said:
the 2004 election was one of those that ended before it began. that was still when an armada of terrorists were trying to turn the US into crater between the atlantic and pacific, and President Rambo and his party were still the ones brave enough to fight them. and only cowards questioned things. granted, it was dying down by latter 2004 and the cracks in the iraq war were beginning to show. but yeah... i really don't think it'll be anything like that election.

Republicans in 2004 ran against Kerry on security. They basically hit the point of "Can you trust this man? Will he keep you safe? Does he have a stance on the war on Iraq?"

They basically played it as, you should stick with the devil you know rather then the devil you don't.

This election is going to be very similar in my opinion, in that Republicans are going to hit home the same basic ideas. "Is Obama ready to be president? Can he keep us safe from Terrorist? Is he too elitist and liberal? Is he Patriotic? Do you know who he is?"

They will do this... which is the same basic theme of the 2004 election.

NewLib

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Republicans in 2004 ran against Kerry on security. They basically hit the point of "Can you trust this man? Will he keep you safe? Does he have a stance on the war on Iraq?"

They basically played it as, you should stick with the devil you know rather then the devil you don't.

This election is going to be very similar in my opinion, in that Republicans are going to hit home the same basic ideas. "Is Obama ready to be president? Can he keep us safe from Terrorist? Is he too elitist and liberal? Is he Patriotic? Do you know who he is?"

Except Kerry's counter to this was, "LOL, NOT BUSH. VOTE KERRY"

AniHawk

Karma Kramer said:

Fortunately, Obama has a spine. He'll call out the RNC's negativity and lack of ability to debate him on the issues etc etc.

NewLib said:
Except Kerry's counter to this was, "LOL, NOT BUSH. VOTE KERRY"

Well Obama is doing pretty much the same by trying to link McCain to Bush. Obama definitely is a better campaigner though as evident by the recent poll showing Democrats voting for Obama by 50% and only voting against Bush/McCain by like 17%... While back in 2004 pretty much everyone was voting against Bush.

NewLib

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Well Obama is doing pretty much the same by trying to link McCain to Bush. Obama definitely is a better campaigner though as evident by the recent poll showing Democrats voting for Obama by 50% and only voting against Bush/McCain by like 17%... While back in 2004 pretty much everyone was voting against Bush.

No he isnt. You cant compare what Obama is doing to what Kerry did.

Kerry was a worst candidate than Bob Dole. Atleast as bad as Mondale. Hell I argue Mondale could have beaten Bush in 2004.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
AniHawk said:
Fortunately, Obama has a spine. He'll call out the RNC's negativity and lack of ability to debate him on the issues etc etc.
Plus, the same tactics in a very different environment doesn't really make for the same situation. McCain is playing the same cards during a time that the war is extremely unpopular and run by an extremely unpopular president, whom he is trying to come off as a clone of. "Don't change waters mid-stream" doesn't exactly work so well when the majority of the country fucking hates where we are.

NewLib said:
No he isnt. You cant compare what Obama is doing to what Kerry did.

Kerry was a worst candidate than Bob Dole. Atleast as bad as Mondale. Hell I argue Mondale could have beaten Bush in 2004.

He isn't trying to link McCain to Bush? What?

Also you are preaching to the choir right now, cause I just said Obama is a better campaigner as evident by recent polling. He is definitely a better candidate then Kerry, but that still doesn't change the fact that the tactics being used by both parties isn't similar.

Its just that this time Democrats have a better candidate plus they have a really poor economy... which is going to help them tremendously.

i just think that alot of that 9/11-induced fear and paranoia is gone, so the demcrats don't have an achilles heel like they did earlier this decade. and the midterm election in 06 proved it, that everybody was just fed up with it.

the polls show mccain and obama being neck and neck, but i personally don't buy it. unless somehing happens between now and november, i think this'll be one of those elections where one candidate (obama) will win unequivocally. but i wrote off mccain early in the primary (when he laid off all his staffers) and laughed at his attempts to stick with it, so i guess that shows what i know

demon said:
Plus, the same tactics in a very different environment doesn't really make for the same situation. McCain is playing the same cards during a time that the war is extremely unpopular and run by an extremely unpopular president, whom he is trying to come off as a clone of. "Don't change waters mid-stream" doesn't exactly work so well when the majority of the country fucking hates where we are.

I really don't know what the out-come of this election will be... I just think that tactically this is a repeat of the 2004 election. Whether it works for the RNC again like it did in 2004... who knows. I doubt it... but anything can happen in politics.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Karma Kramer said:
He isn't trying to link McCain to Bush? What?

Also you are preaching to the choir right now, cause I just said Obama is a better campaigner as evident by recent polling. He is definitely a better candidate then Kerry, but that still doesn't change the fact that the tactics being used by both parties isn't similar.

Its just that this time Democrats have a better candidate plus they have a really poor economy... which is going to help them tremendously.

This isnt going to be the same thing at all "security moms" are now "fuck I cant pay for gas moms".

There is also a diffence between Kerry saying "lulz bush" when Bush had a 52% approval rating. Obama saying "lulz BushII" with a 27% approval rating has much more impact.

Kerry was a terrible candidate. He was a war hero that actually turned that into a liability. He was about as interesting as a wet mop.. and he seemed to rely far too much on the poplation at large hating bush at a time when they really didnt.

StoOgE said:
This isnt going to be the same thing at all "security moms" are now "fuck I cant pay for gas moms".

There is also a diffence between Kerry saying "lulz bush" when Bush had a 52% approval rating. Obama saying "lulz BushII" with a 27% approval rating has much more impact.

Kerry was a terrible candidate. He was a war hero that actually turned that into a liability. He was about as interesting as a wet mop.. and he seemed to rely far too much on the poplation at large hating bush at a time when they really didnt.

Kerry wasn't an interesting candidate, but he was a good one from the standpoint of he would have made a good president (I think). But it's true he didn't jam his veteran status down our throats, but that may have been because he was very anti-Vietnam and those soldiers were not looked highly upon if I recall.

StoOgE said:

Regardless of how much better this looks for the DNC this year... we can't ignore the white (or should I say black) elephant sitting in the room.

This country is far from being completely progressive. And this could become a very big issue for most Americans. As sad as that sounds.

StoOgE

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i just think that alot of that 9/11-induced fear and paranoia is gone, so the demcrats don't have an achilles heel like they did earlier this decade. and the midterm election in 06 proved it, that everybody was just fed up with it.

the polls show mccain and obama being neck and neck, but i personally don't buy it. unless somehing happens between now and november, i think this'll be one of those elections where one candidate (obama) will win unequivocally. but i wrote off mccain early in the primary (when he laid off all his staffers) and laughed at his attempts to stick with it, so i guess that shows what i know

in what world are the polls close? Obama is up by an average of 6 points in all major polls conducted after Hillary's endorsement. (dont show me the daily tracking poll, those are scientifically suspect at the very best).

Lets put it this way, Obama is up by 6 in a poll that Kerry never led in and Bush never led by more than 4 in. And the dem party is still not unified. Give it another 30 days and the Hillary supporters's wounds will heal and the polls will open up even more.

Then you look at the polls in the "swing" states, and its pretty much a slaughter. The dem leaning states are going HUGE for Obama, the "neutral" states are leaning dem. The "leanings republican" states are now neutral.. and two "leanings republican" states jumped all the way over to the "leaning dem" category.

Everything about this election is in Obama's favor in a very very big way right now. The fundamentals are in his favor as well. McCain has an outside chance of winning, but its going to be a very uphill battle, and he isnt much of a candidate. He is boring, old (which hurts more in polls than being black), inarticulate and contradicts himself in ways Kerry never did.

The other big change is the Dems have their own "swiftboat" groups set up and ready to go.. and they have more money than the republican groups.

The DNC has more money than the RNC, and Obama has a shitload more money than McCain.

This isnt "close" right now, and this certainly isnt "2004 all over again"

StoOgE

worldrunover said:
Kerry wasn't an interesting candidate, but he was a good one from the standpoint of he would have made a good president (I think). But it's true he didn't jam his veteran status down our throats, but that may have been because he was very anti-Vietnam and those soldiers were not looked highly upon if I recall.

he may have been a good president, but as a candidate he was fucking useless.

He has a silver star. He let a draft dodger's cronies call him out on his war record.

The guy was a terrible candidate.

Need I remind you "Lt Kerry reporting for Duty... :salutes:"

StoOgE said:
in what world are the polls close? Obama is up by an average of 6 points in all major polls conducted after Hillary's endorsement. (dont show me the daily tracking poll, those are scientifically suspect at the very best).

Lets put it this way, Obama is up by 6 in a poll that Kerry never led in and Bush never led by more than 4 in. And the dem party is still not unified. Give it another 30 days and the Hillary supporters's wounds will heal and the polls will open up even more.

Then you look at the polls in the "swing" states, and its pretty much a slaughter. The dem leaning states are going HUGE for Obama, the "neutral" states are leaning dem. The "leanings republican" states are now neutral.. and two "leanings republican" states jumped all the way over to the "leaning dem" category.

Everything about this election is in Obama's favor in a very very big way right now. The fundamentals are in his favor as well. McCain has an outside chance of winning, but its going to be a very uphill battle, and he isnt much of a candidate. He is boring, old (which hurts more in polls than being black), inarticulate and contradicts himself in ways Kerry never did.

The other big change is the Dems have their own "swiftboat" groups set up and ready to go.. and they have more money than the republican groups.

The DNC has more money than the RNC, and Obama has a shitload more money than McCain.

This isnt "close" right now, and this certainly isnt "2004 all over again"

None of the polls matter today at all. I am sorry, but there is simply no way to call this in bag for Obama atm. Things change a ton when it gets down to the wire... and peoples priorities shift.

I am not saying that Obama won't win this cleanly... but to suggest any sort of estimation is just ridiculous.

I am simply arguing that the tactics will be similar to the 2004 election and depending on the climate it could swing either Rep. or Dem. this November.

StoOgE

Karma Kramer said:
None of the polls matter today at all. I am sorry, but there is simply no way to call this in bag for Obama atm. Things change a ton when it gets down to the wire... and peoples priorities shift.

I am not saying that Obama won't win this cleanly... but to suggest any sort of estimation is just ridiculous.

I am simply arguing that the tactics will be similar to the 2004 election and depending on the climate it could swing either Rep. or Dem. this November.

I am not saying that Obama has it in the bag, I am showing that all of the fundamentals in this race lean heavily in his favor. He is about 70% to win the election at this point, and that is what the political markets are showing as well.

Things could change, there could be an October surprise, another terrorist attack, etc. But short of that stuff, he is likely to win.

I also disagree that this election is about security. Most of the speaches both candidates have been giving are about the economy. McCain has been calling Obama a tax and spend liberal.. Obama showing that McCain wants to help the upper class with tax cuts and not the middle class.

This election, right now, is all about the economy. It has more in common with 1992 or 1996 than it does 2004.

mclem

the disgruntled gamer said:
I agree. I think in this election the choices are:
Obama
Not Obama

Has anyone suggested to McCain that he changes his name directly to NotObama? Just to, you know, make it absolutely clear what he stands for?

StoOgE said:
I am not saying that Obama has it in the bag, I am showing that all of the fundamentals in this race lean heavily in his favor. He is about 70% to win the election at this point, and that is what the political markets are showing as well.

Things could change, there could be an October surprise, another terrorist attack, etc. But short of that stuff, he is likely to win.

I also disagree that this election is about security. Most of the speaches both candidates have been giving are about the economy. McCain has been calling Obama a tax and spend liberal.. Obama showing that McCain wants to help the upper class with tax cuts and not the middle class.

This election, right now, is all about the economy. It has more in common with 1992 or 1996 than it does 2004.

I didn't necessary mean to correlate security with "foreign policy issues" but more around Obama's persona as a candidate. The idea that he might be "too different" for American's too accept as their leader.

This election for the Republicans will not be about the issues at all... it will be about Obama. This type of tactics is similar to the 2004 tactics because its based entirely on the premise of fear. Yes it is slightly different, but same basic setup in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom