• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
One thing I liked about that speech is that he brought up that B's are great, but strive higher.

And :lol at him quoting Chris Rock.

"I'm not in jail" "But, you're not supposed to be in jail!"

Deus Ex Machina said:

Barack Obama's Speech on Father's Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1hCDjwG6M

He spoke the truth, with kindness and empathy...and the whole service was lovely.

This is a speech everyone should hear - if they could listen long enough.
Tamanon said:
One thing I liked about that speech is that he brought up that B's are great, but strive higher.

And :lol at him quoting Chris Rock.

"I'm not in jail" "But, you're not supposed to be in jail!"
He addressed it to everyone, rich and poor, black and white. It's not only the AA community that needs to heed his words.

Cheebs

Keith Olbermann was nearly the host of the CBS Evening News:

After Rather's unhappy departure from CBS, the network's president, Leslie Moonves, said that he wanted to blow up the "Evening News"--by which he meant, he later explained, that he wanted to do away with the program's outmoded "broadcast of record" posture, and its accompanying burden of summarizing the world in twenty-two minutes each night. Moonves and Andrew Heyward, then the president of CBS News, held a secret meeting with Olbermann at his apartment, and asked how he would approach the "Evening News" job. Olbermann, who was nearing the end of his contract at MSNBC, said he thought that it was a waste for networks to spend so much money on their anchors, when they shared so much airtime with field correspondents. Olbermann said that he would, of course, be less freewheeling than he had been at "Countdown," and that he would redirect the broadcast incrementally, beginning with a three-minute block at the end of each newscast to which he would apply his personal touch. "Maybe in a year's time, after you've given me those three minutes to sort of reprogram, maybe I'll get four or five," Olbermann says now. "You don't go in for the full revolution. You do not come on and do `Naked News.' "

The meeting ended, and Heyward was not convinced that Olbermann was the right choice for an institution where even the use of music in a news report, let alone voice impersonations by the anchor, is strictly forbidden. But soon afterward Heyward was replaced as news-division president by the head of CBS Sports, Sean McManus, who agreed to a second meeting with Olbermann, at CBS News headquarters on West Fifty-seventh Street. In the end, CBS hired Katie Couric--a decision, Olbermann likes to point out, that has not worked as well as had been hoped. (Couric consistently comes in third in the network ratings.)

Uncooked

Banned
A lot of people in Iran carry knives, so Obama is basically saying if elected we are going to invade Iran, and possibly China and Russia, how can you all support such a warmonger? My dad carries a knife too, is he going to shoot my dad? This is Father's Day Barack, show some respect, what a terrible man.

Just a joke of course, but some of you take this too seriously.

Cheebs

His thoughts on what he would do were interesting. It sounded like he'd want to keep his special comments and slowly evolve the show to be more like Countdown.

Kaeru

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Pictures of Obama and Family at Apostolic Church - Father's Day

Getty Images Link (15 pics here)

Here are the pics on a slide show at AOL (about 50 pics at this link)

81580245.jpg

zoom in on cleavage please

That speech actually made me tear up. I'm glad he kept the politicking to a minimum and sent it home with a Christian message. It's exactly what I needed to hear.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
I've been out all day, but in my skim of the past few pages I didn't see this posted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25166151/

Keep attracting the female vote, McCain.
That cake? McCain is going to have it and eat it too.

McCain Doesn't Quite Cancel Controversial Fundraiser

John McCain's campaign has arrived at a new solution in canceling their planned fundraiser with controversial Texas oilman Clayton Williams -- a compromise that allows them to both distance themselves from a man who would seriously complicate their efforts at outreach to women voters, while also getting access to the money he's helped bring in.

The original fundraiser, planned for Monday, was cancelled after Democrats publicized a statement about rape that Williams had made during his 1990 campaign for governor, and which had arguably cost him the race.

The fundraiser will now be rescheduled for later this summer at a new venue. All the people on the guest list that Williams had organized will be invited -- just not Williams himself.

syllogism

The conservative Evangelical biographer of George W. Bush and Tom DeLay has moved on to a new subject: Barack Obama. And his new book, due out this summer, may lend credibility to Senator Obama's bid to win Evangelical Christian voters away from the Republican Party.

The forthcoming volume from Stephen Mansfield, whose sympathetic "The Faith of George W. Bush" spent 15 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list in 2004, is titled "The Faith of Barack Obama." Its tone ranges from gently critical to gushing, and the author defends Obama-and even his controversial former minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright-from conservative critics, and portrays him as a compelling figure for Christian voters.

"Young Evangelicals are saying, 'Look, I'm pro-life but I'm looking at a guy who's first of all black-and they love that; two, who's a Christian; and three who believes faith should bear on public policy," Mansfield, who described himself as a conservative Republican, said in a telephone interview. "They disagree with him on abortion, but they agree with him on poverty, on the war."

More here

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11099.html

TheKingsCrown said:
Obama believes faith should bear on public policy? Source?

I imagine it's in a really vague way.

"No more wars, cuz Jesus says I should be nice to people, lolz"

rather than "Leviticus blah:blah says we should hate gay people, therefore no more gays, lolz"

Stumpokapow said:
Have you ever listened to any of his speeches?
I have listened to plenty of them. No matter who is president, their faith is going to be reflected in what they do. But it was my impression from him that while his faith is important to him, if he has a decision to make and he has option y or x, and y is the better one for the people of the country but x is the one sanctioned by God, he would still go with y.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I only check this thread occasionally so this may be old news to yall, but the guy who invented PECOTA has gone from baseball to politics. He was more accurate than polling during the primaries by using comparable demographic data for predictions, the same principle behind PECOTA.

So far, Silver's system shows Obama and McCain splitting the popular vote 50.0 percent to 50.0 percent, with Obama winning the Electoral College 274.4 to 263.6... And thanks to Nebraska, where electors are awarded by congressional district, Silver even suspects that McCain and Obama could, um, tie. "Right now, Obama's losing the state by 10 points, but that's 10 points better than Dems usually do," he says. "If Obama wins Colorado, Iowa and the city of Omaha, where he's popular, it would end up 269–269 and go to the House of Representatives. Crazier things could happen."

Now that would be entertaining. Even better than 2000.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/140469

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TheKingsCrown said:
I have listened to plenty of them. No matter who is president, their faith is going to be reflected in what they do. But it was my impression from him that while his faith is important to him, if he has a decision to make and he has option y or x, and y is the better one for the people of the country but x is the one sanctioned by God, he would still go with y.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I have no idea what speech or stump it was, but someone asked Obama something along these lines and he answered exactly as I would have wished him to.

He basically says what you said.

RubxQub said:
I have no idea what speech or stump it was, but someone asked Obama something along these lines and he answered exactly as I would have wished him to.

He basically says what you said.
I really hope so, and if someone can identify in what speech it was that would be great.

This would be a deal breaker for me.

Chrono

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I really hope so, and if someone can identify in what speech it was that would be great.

This would be a deal breaker for me.

Considering the frightening alternative it really shouldn't.

This is not a game. It's real and there will be consequences for the whole world.

Azih said:
You guys have such a borked view of religous people.
Bush borked my view of religious presidents.

Chrono said:
Considering the frightening alternative it really shouldn't.

This is not a game. It's real and there will be consequences for the whole world.

Point noted. But one of the things that made Bush such a disastrous president was either his, or his cohorts need to put before God's judgment ever decision that was made, so that even if it wasn't in the best interests of the country, as long as it was sanctioned by God it was the decision that would be made.

I can't vote for a president who would do that. They can call on God if they dont' know what to do, but I would hope they would try to figure it out.

Mumei

Guileless said:
I only check this thread occasionally so this may be old news to yall, but the guy who invented PECOTA has gone from baseball to politics. He was more accurate than polling during the primaries by using comparable demographic data for predictions, the same principle behind PECOTA.

So far, Silver's system shows Obama and McCain splitting the popular vote 50.0 percent to 50.0 percent, with Obama winning the Electoral College 274.4 to 263.6... And thanks to Nebraska, where electors are awarded by congressional district, Silver even suspects that McCain and Obama could, um, tie. "Right now, Obama's losing the state by 10 points, but that's 10 points better than Dems usually do," he says. "If Obama wins Colorado, Iowa and the city of Omaha, where he's popular, it would end up 269–269 and go to the House of Representatives. Crazier things could happen."

Actually, he's now showing the popular vote as 51.3% - 48.7% in Obama's favor, and 300.3 - 237.7 in his favor in the electoral college.

Hootie

Guileless said:

Jesus, if this thing goes to the House of Reps...get ready for some fireworks! :lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
TheKingsCrown said:
But one of the things that made Bush such a disastrous president was either his, or his cohorts need to put before God's judgment ever decision that was made, so that even if it wasn't in the best interests of the country, as long as it was sanctioned by God it was the decision that would be made.

You think Pres. Bush and/or his cohorts make every decision according to "God's judgment" rather than political or policy grounds? That is almost as ridiculous as not voting for a candidate who voted with the Democratic party 97% of the time because he talks about his faith.

Cheebs

I saw this on The Page:
The Boston Globe: Sam Nunn “a real possibility as Obama’s running mate.”

“He seems more prepared to accept a vice presidential offer this year, helping to offset Obama’s lack of experience on national security and giving the Democrats a fighting chance in Georgia.”
image_5717611.jpg

Sam Nunn would be a solid pick. Huge foreign policy credentials and he'd help get Georgia in play.

I'd say he is up there in the top 3 of Obama's potential picks.

thekad

Banned
Cheebs said:
I saw this on The Page:

image_5717611.jpg

Sam Nunn would be a solid pick. Huge foreign policy credentials and he'd help get Georgia in play.

I'd say he is up there in the top 3 of Obama's potential picks.

What's wrong with him?

I wish I could get out of this funk that I am in... Obama's speech shamed me... it made me say "I want to do better."

I really like this guy
although I'm fighting alot of things those words gave me a little boost

syllogism

Fitting

Fox News's newest contributor, to be announced today, may surprise the liberal crowd: former Clinton White House lawyer Lanny Davis.

"Fox has always treated me with respect and given me a chance to express my point of view," Davis says of the network that the Democratic candidates refused to grant a debate out of concern that it favors Republicans. He will be a frequent guest, along with such Fox stalwarts as Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich.

A relentless surrogate for Hillary Clinton, Davis says, he felt "ganged up on" during appearances on the other cable channels. He says that Clinton was "demonized" by MSNBC's Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann, and that CNN's primary-night panels were tilted toward the Obama side.

"Does Fox have a conservative slant on some of their programs? Yes," Davis says. "They're giving me a chance to provide a counterpoint, and that's all I can ask."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/15/AR2008061501890_3.html

Smiles and Cries said:
I wish I could get out of this funk that I am in... Obama's speech shamed me... it made me say "I want to do better."

I really like this guy
although I'm fighting alot of things those words gave me a little boost
Do you have a son?

thekad

Banned
Cheebs said:
Uh...nothing? He is a fairly moderate democratic senator from georgia famous for his foreign policy cred.

Well, I figured something must be wrong with him if no one has mentioned him up until very recently.

Women voters lining up behind Obama

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-women16-2008jun16,0,5593581.story
McCain hopes to lure Clinton loyalists. But polls show they are staying Democratic.

By Michael Finnegan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 16, 2008

Marilyn Authenreith, a mother of two in North Carolina, felt strongly about supporting Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Democratic presidential primary.

But once the former first lady quit the race, Authenreith switched allegiance to Barack Obama, mainly because she thinks that he -- unlike Republican John McCain -- will push for universal healthcare.

"I can't understand the thinking of how someone would jump from Hillary to McCain," she said. "It doesn't make any sense."

Now that the Democratic marathon is over, Clinton supporters like Authenreith are siding heavily with Obama over McCain, polls show. And Obama has taken a wide lead among female voters, belying months of political chatter and polls of primary voters suggesting that disappointment over Clinton's defeat might block the Illinois senator from enjoying his party's historic edge among women.

The rancor peaked two weeks ago with televised images of furious Clinton loyalists protesting a Democratic Party meeting in Washington to settle a dispute over Florida and Michigan delegates.
Women are too smart to vote for McCain.

Azih

TheKingsCrown said:
Bush borked my view of religious presidents.
Horribly low sample size and I'm sure you could find quite a few very religious presidents who did a good job.

Point noted. But one of the things that made Bush such a disastrous president was either his, or his cohorts need to put before God's judgment ever decision that was made, so that even if it wasn't in the best interests of the country, as long as it was sanctioned by God it was the decision that would be made.
Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and other PNAC men are not religious. Bush relies heavily on his advisors and took their PNAC doctrine to heart. 'Sanctioned by God' has nothing to do with it especially since a crazy number of churches came out against the War. Shit the Pope disagreed with it
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/jun/05/usa.iraq
I don't know where this sanctioned by God business is coming from.

Looks like it's an update of a 2004 game that ended up with a 72% on gamerankings.com (which is respectable):

Stardock's blurb on the new version:
Ever thought you could run for President? Now's your chance with The Political Machine. Pick a candidate (real or imaginary) or design your own from scratch. Then choose a political party and start your campaign.

The Political Machine takes the real-world mechanics of political campaigning and uses it to create an award-winning strategy game. Raise money, hire spin-doctors, win the endorsements of important groups, go on TV interviews, take out ads, fight off smear merchants and much more in your quest to win the 270 electoral votes you need to get into the white house.

Your opponents can be controlled either by human players over the Internet or by a diabolical computer AI designed by Stardock's renowned artificial intelligence team. With multiple maps and scenarios to choose from, a candidate editor and much more, The Political Machine is not just a timely bit of fun during the campaign season but a strategy game that will stand the test of time. In between your gaming exploits, hang out at the PoliticalMachine.com, discussing the issues of the day on a non-partisan site where people of all political persuasions can advocate their positions.

Features

* Play as your favorite candidate, or create your own.
* Play against online opponents or against the computer.
* Find out how your favorite candidates might actually do in the 2008 election.
* Hire special operatives like the "Smear Merchant," the "War Hero," "Spin Doctor," and many others.
* See how you would fare in historic elections.
* Take a stand on the issues you care about most.
$20 for download, releases tomorrow.

Cheebs

Woah, Nunn shouldn't be it then. :lol

I wonder who it will be, it will be a white male thats for sure though (Selebius hasn't got a shot in hell I think, GAF overplays her far too much. GAF's obsession with her compared to the more lack of of interest in her on other political blogs/boards is weird)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom