• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelle Obama Hosting On The View Today

Started with fist bump...

then went into long discussion about her comment about pride in her country. She did well. Said Barack told her to "be good" on the show.

holy shit at this article

basically, Obama is winning, but it's a "surprisingly small lead", and the whole article is spent on how Obama is in so much danger :lol

Oh yeah, and Obama is in trouble because of TEH LACK OF EXPERIENCE and TEH MARRIED WHITE WOMEN

Shouldn't the guy who is, you know, behind be the one that's "in danger"? Also, I love how they act all shocked at how McCain is "so close" yet act completely surprised when Obama says that McCain has gotten a free pass from the media. Because of course, the traditional media is totally on top of McCain amirite?

Lieberman Skips Senate Dems' Strategy Meeting

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/lieberman_skips_senate_dems_st.php

By Eric Kleefeld - June 18, 2008, 9:05AM

Joe Lieberman's support of John McCain is starting to generate some readily apparent conflicts with his participation in the Democratic caucus. When Barack Obama's top strategist David Axelrod briefed the Senate Dems' weekly policy lunch yesterday, Lieberman skipped the meeting.

"It was my decision," Lieberman said. "I thought it would be awkward for everybody."

This begs the question: Will he start attending the Republicans' policy meetings?

Farmboy

Cheebs said:
I am getting more and more convinced Obama is going to win by Reagan like margins.

The latest Quinnipac polls have the EC-tracking sites going pretty much apeshit. 538.com has him at 334 EV, 74% win, 38% of a 375+ EV landslide. Would be amazing if it works out that way.

McCain's total flop on offshore drilling is akin to Clinton's gas tax(and McCain's) suspension "plan." People want to move away from oil -- period. They don't want offshore drilling rigs in front of their beachfront property. The fact that the right is in a tizzy about this will only hasten their demise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Justin Bailey said:
When is Lieberman going to go ahead and switch parties already?

Foreign policy is the only issue he agrees with the Republicans on. He votes with the Democratic party pretty much categorically across the board except on foreign policy issues, and even then he votes with the Democratic party on many issues.

He's less of a Republican than Lincoln Chafee was a Democrat, and Chafee did not switch until after he was booted out of the Senate. No one asks if Ben Nelson will become a Republican, although he's substantially more conservative politically than Lieberman. Nor Claire McCaskill, nor Mary :lol Landrieu

As an example, if you want to actually rank senators, using the National Journal ranking (which has severe methodological issues designed in such a way that Lieberman would be painted more Republican than he is and most Democrats painted more Democratic than they are--to be brief; they select votes specifically to make Democratic rising stars more liberal than they are; it's the reason you hear "Obama is the most liberal senator" or "John Kerry is the most liberal senator" despite the fact that realistically although they'd both make the top ten, neither is. As a result, Lieberman's differences with the Democratic party line ought to be emphasized here), let's look at the middle block:

Code:
Name	Economic	Social	Foreign	Total
Lieberman, Joe, ID-Conn.  	72  	59  	38  	57.5
McCaskill, Claire, D-Mo. 	51 	58 	59 	57.3
Baucus, Max, D-Mont. 	53 	55 	59 	57.3
Conrad, Kent, D-N.D. 	53 	55 	59 	57.3
Pryor, Mark, D-Ark. 	63 	53 	47 	55
Landrieu, Mary, D-La. 	49 	54 	54 	53.2
Snowe, Olympia, R-Maine 	46 	49 	46 	47.8
Collins, Susan, R-Maine 	48 	47 	45 	47.2
Smith, Gordon, R-Ore. 	44 	43 	53 	47.2
Nelson, Ben, D-Neb. 	46 	44 	48 	46.7

Lieberman is more "liberal" than six Democrats and all Republicans by a substantial margin. Look at his scores--he's actually substantially more economically "liberal" than even most Democrats; more "liberal" in that way than John Kerry or Harry Reid, in fact. Socially he's more "liberal" than nine Democratic senators.

Only in the foreign policy category is he on par with the Republicans and even there he's only more "conservative" than 8 of the Republicans--so even if you define him only by one attribute of his voting and service record, he's still quite "liberal" for Republicans.

Also, if he switches parties (or even stops caucusing), he loses the vast majority of his sway in terms of committees, functionally making him the 100th ranked senator in the senate rather than the 29th ranked senator which he is right now.

Lieberman is a blowhard and he's wrong on a number of issues, especially foreign policy. But don't let that confuse you--the idea that Lieberman is a secret Republican or that him switching parties is a good or feasible idea is just as much a media narrative as any of the identified "anti-Obama" narratives out there.

Clipjoint

Lieberman may vote liberal, but this public, active, and enthusiastic support of McCain is going to upset the powers that be within the Democratic party, as well as Democratic voters. They already punished him by beating him in his own state's primary - this is only going to further alienate him, despite his voting record.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Ventrue said:
If a person betting against him is right, he gets $10x1, $10.
If he wins, he gets $10x17, $170.

(although presumably with more than two people, a pool of money).

I wish I could get a pool going. Nobody would bite at 20-1 or anything higher. I finally found someone to take it at 17-1, so I will probably be $170 richer on election day when the Cubs are the champs and a black guy is president-elect. Now think of the odds you could have gotten on that a few years ago when the Cubs lost 100 games yet again and nobody had ever heard of Sen. Obama. 200-1? 500-1? 1,000-1? It's plausible.

Clevinger

A good article about McCain (if you can excuse the tasteless art) by Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/21129038/full_metal_mccain

One of my favorite parts, where he talks to people at a McCain event:

A few paces away, I catch up with a man named Ron Saucier and a woman who would only identify herself as Mary. Ron says his problem with Obama is the integrity thing. "He exaggerates too much," Ron says. "He's not honest."

"OK," I say. "What does he exaggerate about?"

"Well, like that time he was saying he had a white mother and a white grandmother," he says.

I ask him how this is an exaggeration.

"Well, he was saying . . ." he begins. "As if that qualifies him to . . ."

Despite my repeated prodding, Ron seems unable or unwilling to say aloud exactly what he means. Finally, his friend Mary, a grave-looking blonde with fierce anger lines around her eyes, jumps in, points a finger and blurts out one of the all-time man-on-the-street quotes.

"Look, you either are or you aren't," she says.

"And he aren't," Ron says, nodding with relief.

:lol So awful...

Obama pulls in front of McCain in new poll (that's Michelle and Cindy)

Video:

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Vote2008/story?id=5185695&page=1

Battle of the Spouses: A Bit Better for Obama
Early Edge is Michelle Obama's, But Plenty of Room to Move for Cindy McCain
ANALYSIS By GARY LANGER
June 18, 2008

In the battle of the spouses the early edge is Michelle Obama's, in favorable views and intensity of sentiment alike. But there are sharp differences among groups, and plenty of room to move for the less well-known Cindy McCain.

Forty-eight percent of Americans in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll see Obama favorably, vs. 39 percent for McCain, a 9-point Obama advantage. Slightly more, though, also view Obama unfavorably – 29 percent vs. McCain's 25 percent.
Maybe the anti-smear site is helping already?

Incognito said:
In Pennsylvania, Obama holds a commanding 95-1% advantage. :lol
:lol Awesome. I just made a $1 bet with a friend from PA that Obama would carry the state. She lives in central PA, and I think that her perspective has been skewed because of it. 538 has Obama winning by a healthy margin, so I think I'm good.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
In Pennsylvania, Obama holds a commanding 95-1% advantage. :lol
Ben Smith made a good point that the new Quinnipac polls are notable for not under-estimating the black vote for Obama. SUSA did some polling last month that only had Obama getting in the 80% range, which skewed their results a bit. Even if Obama just makes Florida close, McCain is going to be sweating it and spending lots of quality time there.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Clevinger said:
A good article about McCain (if you can excuse the tasteless art) by Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/21129038/full_metal_mccain

One of my favorite parts, where he talks to people at a McCain event:

:lol So awful...

I enjoyed reading that article- very passionate. So many good parts, Ill just throw in one:

That's it — that's the entire argument. McCain is a canny enough old goat to know that the public's insatiable appetite for traitorous enemies will do the rest. He'll wave as many flags and stand in front of as many fucking fighter jets as you like, while the other guy lectures us about why he doesn't always need to wear a flag pin in his lapel and calls a bomb-throwing Sixties terrorist "a guy who lives in my neighborhood" instead of calling for his immediate beheading.

Cindy Oestriecher, a McCain supporter who turned out for his speech in New Orleans, is stumped when I ask her for an example of Obama's lack of patriotism. "What was that thing about anti-American?" she asks a friend. "What were they referring to?"

"What thing?" asks the friend.

"People were talking about that thing, that anti-American thing," Cindy says, frowning.

"You mean about the flag, the thing on the Internet?" the friend replies.

"Yeah, I guess," says Cindy. "The anti-American thing." "That bothers you?" I ask.

"Of course it does!"

"But you don't even know what it is," I say. "You just know that someone else said he was anti-American. You don't even know who it was that said it!"

She shrugs. What's my point? We all know what the deal is. When it comes to presidential politics, you either are or you aren't. And Barack Obama aren't. If you can't grasp the simple math of that statement, you don't know much about elections in this country. It's not about the war, or the economy, or the faltering Republican brand, or any of that: This is about hate and fear, and a dark instinct in our blood going all the way back to Salem, and whether or not a desperately ambitious ex-heretic named John McCain can whip up a big enough mob in time to drown the latest witch.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
anyone check out Obama's national security working group?

* Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
* Senator David Boren, former Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
* Secretary of State Warren Christopher
* Greg Craig, former director of the State Department Office of Policy Planning
* Secretary of the Navy Richard Danzig
* Representative Lee Hamilton, former Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
* Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder
* Dr. Tony Lake, former National Security Advisor
* Senator Sam Nunn, former Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
* Secretary of Defense William Perry
* Dr. Susan Rice, former Assistant Secretary of State
* Representative Tim Roemer, 9/11 Commissioner
* Jim Steinberg, former Deputy National Security Advisor

nothing altogether disagreeable, but nothing inspiring either. it's a shame that Samantha Power is still ostracized

thekad

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Bu.bu.bu.b.b.b. the TV host told me that Obama will lose Florida easily and could lose Ohio and Pennsylvania too all in the same year!!

New Jersey is going to be a barn-burner. I hear Rudy's going to be campaigning for McCain!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Liara T'Soni said:
Exactly...the media does not care about the country at all...they want this to be some sort of crazy drama-filled, legendary election.

Look at how Obama's so called "suburban women problem" has been blown up. First it's women in general...then he wins them. Then it's Hillary supporters...she endorses him and polls show that the high majority will support him. So then they fucking find ONE category he's not winning and all of a sudden it's "Oh...will Obama be able to pull white women suburban voters over 40" and shit. Some have even tried to make an issue over him losing white men (An area Democrats never win). The media wants more then anything to dramatize this fucking thing like it's a soap opera. Does Obama need to poll above McSame in every state and in every demographic before he doesn't have a "problem"??? How could ANYONE thats objectively looking at this race right now say that McCain doesn't have bigger problems then Barack? He's the older mother fucker ever to run for the white house, running on a platform that has destroyed our economy, culture, and standing in the world, and has publicly stated on MANY occasions that he supports the policies of a man that is going to go down in the history books as one of, if not THE, WORST president in the history of this nation!!! I'm not saying it's over, but DAMN, get off Obama's dick and stop trying to force all this negativity on his campaign!

They LOOOOVE drawing upon this "The voters don't trust him" and "The voters need to know more about him" shit. How long does this man have to be in the fucking public spotlight before people know who the fuck Barack Obama is? The guy has the most internet support of any candidate in history. He's been on the cover of magazines, newspapers, and fliers. He has written TWO BESTSELLING BOOKS! He has won a grammy! He has been on the news EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR THE PAST YEAR! He is the FIRST SERIOUS BLACK CANDIDATE EVER! He is the most popular democrat in the fucking country! Yet, Wolf Blitzer still thinks that "Voters need to get to know him better"...fucking Christ! Does Obama need to fucking go door to door and talk to 300 million plus Americans before people "know him"??? Just because McCain has been in the Senate for 40,000 years, and ran for president before, doesn't mean that people know him any fucking better then they do Obama. The people that follow this shit JUST A LITTLE BIT know who Barack Obama is and what he's about. The people that don't follow this shit at all couldn't tell John McCain from fucking John Wayne, and thats the damned truth!

This is the realest shit you ever wrote. This lady straight telling the truth for real. I was embarrassed how somebody on CNN yesterday stated that Michelle Obama's image could be better had she NOT been so aggressive,bold, blunt, honest, up front, and open about her looks and fashion.

It felt like the guy was saying that she should be more like Cindy McCain and not talk much.

Muslims barred from picture at Obama event

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=9C35D9AD-3048-5C12-001E5E2F7EAC1D85

Two Muslim women at Barack Obama's rally in Detroit Monday were barred from sitting behind the podium by campaign volunteers seeking to prevent the women's headscarves from appearing in photographs or on television with the candidate.

The campaign has apologized to the women, all Obama supporters who said they felt betrayed by their treatment at the rally.

"This is of course not the policy of the campaign. It is offensive and counter to Obama's commitment to bring Americans together and simply not the kind of campaign we run," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton. "We sincerely apologize for the behavior of these volunteers."

UGH ...

20080617t213910450x318unc2.jpg

capt.b45fc7096307453998bb580cdf84d550.obama_2008_mips110.jpg

Damn, volunteers!! Good move by the campaign to quickly apologize for it.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
very stupid PR move by Obama's people.
Someone was being over-protective of the Muslim smears and didn't want give them material. Stupid to go there. Though I think Politico is blowing it way out of proportion (par for the course for them.)

TDG

Banned
scorcho said:
very stupid PR move by Obama's people.
Doesn't seem like it'll have any negative reprecussions though. I mean, Obama supporters will either not care or be okay with it based on the quick apology, the muslim women aren't seen in behind Obama during his speech which might cause delusional people to think that he is a muslim, and maybe some clueless slobbering retards who think Obama might be a muslim see this story and have second thoughts. Win-win-win.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I live in jersey....McCain ain't winning this state.

New Jersey are or it aren't, and New Jersey aren't.

HylianTom said:
Sorry if this has been posted already.. has anyone seen this button that was for sale at the Texas GOP convention?

obama-button.JPG

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/17/gop-convention-button-asks-if-obama-is-presidentwill-we-still-call-it-the-white-house/

Wow.
Texas GOP: stunned regarding racist button sold @ convention - it "was about unity and diversity"

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...2008/06/18/obama_leader_says_republicans.html

<snip>

Hans Klingler, spokesman for the Republican Party of Texas, said party officials had no idea the button was for sale until they saw it blogged. He said that the party doesn’t review the content of booths during the convention, adding that there will be procedures put in place in the future to scout for objectionable items.

“We were stunned; the whole convention was about unity and diversity,” Klingler said. “It was heartbreaking.”

“We would never want anything offensive or overtly bigoted to be at our convention,” he said.

Klingler said the party plans to donate its $1,500 in proceeds from the booth rental to flood relief in the Midwest.

Arde5643

mckmas8808 said:
This is the realest shit you ever wrote. This lady straight telling the truth for real. I was embarrassed how somebody on CNN yesterday stated that Michelle Obama's image could be better had she NOT been so aggressive,bold, blunt, honest, up front, and open about her looks and fashion.

It felt like the guy was saying that she should be more like Cindy McCain and not talk much.
Basically, the best first lady are those who stay behind the kitchen and make everyone a sammich?

Obama Announces Senior Working Group on National Security

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gG5SZ7

Senator Obama’s Senior Working Group on National Security includes:

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
Senator David Boren, former Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
Secretary of State Warren Christopher
Greg Craig, former director of the State Department Office of Policy Planning
Secretary of the Navy Richard Danzig
Representative Lee Hamilton, former Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder
Dr. Tony Lake, former National Security Advisor
Senator Sam Nunn, former Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Secretary of Defense William Perry
Dr. Susan Rice, former Assistant Secretary of State
Representative Tim Roemer, 9/11 Commissioner
Jim Steinberg, former Deputy National Security Advisor

CHICAGO, IL – Senator Obama today announced the formation of his Senior Working Group on National Security, a group of advisors that he will consult on a regular basis between now and the election. Obama will meet with the group for the first time today in Washington, DC for a wide-ranging discussion of the immense challenges faced by the United States in the wake of the disastrous foreign policies of George Bush.

“Each individual here today has provided extraordinary service to our nation in the executive branch and Congress. Several have been advising my campaign for some time. We’re also honored to be joined by some of Senator Clinton’s senior advisors. In the months to come, we’ll be reaching out to others, as well as leaders in Congress,” Senator Obama said. “The stakes in this election could not be higher. John McCain wants to continue George Bush's foreign policy which has made us less safe, less respected, and less able to lead the world. It's time to change course. It's time to end the war in Iraq responsibly, refocus on Afghanistan and al Qaeda, and renew our global leadership so that we can tackle the huge challenges of the 21st century.”

Later today, he will also meet with a group of nearly 40 retired Admirals and Generals to discuss the state of our armed forces, and the challenges facing our military in Iraq, Afghanistan, and around the world. This meeting is part of an ongoing dialogue between Senator Obama and current and former military officers of various ranks and views.

That's one hell of a power lineup.

Cheebs

mckmas8808 said:
What exactly did they do wrong? I see those same ladies in a picture with him.
that wasnt the event in question. the event in question was the rally.

And I have known about this personally. I was at a rally where I'd say about 70% of the crowd was black and it was being filmed by CNN/MSNBC...etc. One of Obama's handlers put my family on stage behind him at a rally because cause we were white. About 80% of the people for the camera behind him were white, and the crowd not facing the cameras was almost all black.

Cheebs said:
that wasnt the event in question. the event in question was the rally.
The Muslim thing is anti what Obama believes... the volunteers should know matter.
And I have known about this personally. I was at a rally where I'd say about 70% of the crowd was black and it was being filmed by CNN/MSNBC...etc. One of Obama's handlers put my family on stage behind at a rally because "we need more white people for the tv cameras"
They do this at all candidates rallies. Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom