• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

theBishop said:
Where my parents live, all the fat suburbanites who think they are royalty pronounce it "Tar-shay" (i.e. rhymes with 'ballet'). A pox on their houses, I say.
I say it that way, but with deliberate sarcasm. I hope that means I avoid the pox.

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA arrives for a meeting at the DNC headquarters in Washington, D.C.

capt.e3f2b556e7ce4aac820a06cf368df751.obama_2008_xifb104.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., talks to the media during a news conference on his campaign plane en route from Michigan to Washington, DC Tuesday, June 17, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.df0169e890d8445bb77cc4efac1b4ad0.obama_2008_xifb102.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., talks to the media during a news conference on his campaign plane en route from Michigan to Washington, DC Tuesday, June 17, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.3e31f6dcc16844f2ac36d653dd86f037.obama_2008_dclj114.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill. arrives at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008.
(AP Photo/Lawrence Jackson)

capt.f99134de0da44e8ba7616ab2d3e11ce1.obama_2008_dclj112.jpg

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill. arrives at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008. (AP Photo/Lawrence Jackson)

capt.cf4382b457774fa5abca217a4ef0807d.obama_2008_dclb113.jpg

Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., arrives to attend a meeting with Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008. (AP Photo/Lauren Victoria Burke)

capt.87b56e7ea6ab4a919819193937b75fa3.obama_2008_dclj115.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, listens as Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif., chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, speaks after a meeting at Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008.

capt.6ec85d5459454a089ef52a001d729a7b.obama_2008_dclj116.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., center left, with Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif., right, and other members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus speak after a meeting at Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008.

capt.c7ccc3f245dd455a950e71cf0592f72b.obama_2008_dclj118.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., center left, with Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif., right, and other members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, speak after a meeting at Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, Tuesday, June 17, 2008.

KRS7

I know I'm a bit late, but I just watched the Daily Show interview. Damn Lara Logan is fucking beautiful. Her accent just adds to her sexiness. I loved when she said she would blow her brains out if she had to watch US news. I completely agree.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
capt.6ec85d5459454a089ef52a001d729a7b.obama_2008_dclj116.jpg

That guy on the left is a robot....

capt.c7ccc3f245dd455a950e71cf0592f72b.obama_2008_dclj118.jpg

You check your blood sugar, you check it often. There's no reason not to.

With Willford Brimley on Obama's side, how can he possibly loose?

Tamanon

Banned
KRS7 said:
I know I'm a bit late, but I just watched the Daily Show interview. Damn Lara Logan is fucking beautiful. Her accent just adds to her sexiness. I loved when she said she would blow her brains out if she had to watch US news. I completely agree.

Yeah, Jon Stewart absolutely was floored in that interview it seems, he apparently expected something totally different and was kinda humble by the end of it.:lol

GhaleonEB

No surprise, but Donna Edwards won the special election tonight. :D

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/06/maryland_elects_1st_black_woma.php

Democratic lawyer and nonprofit executive Donna Edwards won a special election Tuesday to become Maryland's first black woman elected to Congress.

Edwards beat Republican Peter James in the race to serve the remainder of former U.S. Rep. Albert Wynn's term in Maryland's 4th District. Wynn left office May 31 to take a lobbying job after losing to Edwards in February's Democratic primary by 22 percentage points.

Edwards, 49, will hold the seat for the rest of the year. James also won his party's primary in February, meaning he and Edwards will face each other again in November's general election.

Once she is sworn in, Democrats will have 236 seats in the House to Republicans' 199.

The victory also gives Edwards a chance to establish some seniority if she is elected to a full term. A half-year spent in the House could give her a slight edge over other incoming freshmen, such as better committee assignments.

Edwards most recently led the nonprofit Arca Foundation. Her win in February was her second try at the seat after losing to Wynn in 2006 by a slim margin.

With about 25 percent of precincts reporting Tuesday night, Edwards had 93 percent of the vote, or 2,853 votes, to James' 6 percent, or 189. Voter turnout appeared to be low.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tamanon said:
I eagerly await the press discussing whether shopping at Target instead of Walmart makes one elitist.
Did she watch Sex and the City on HBO or TBS?

Macam

Banned
Boogie said:
The Daily Show: Wow, this Lara Logan is HAWT.

Logan's a fantastic reporter and probably one of the only reasons to watch CBS to begin with (though I don't mind Scheiffer's mild Face the Nation show, save for when he repeatedly invites Lindsey Graham on to spout the lamest GOP points). If you're just now seeing her for the first time, you've been missing out on some great coverage/eye-candy the last few years.

Boogie

Macam said:
Logan's a fantastic reporter and probably one of the only reasons to watch CBS to begin with (though I don't mind Scheiffer's mild Face the Nation show, save for when he repeatedly invites Lindsey Graham on to spout the lamest GOP points). If you're just now seeing her for the first time, you've been missing out on some great coverage/eye-candy the last few years.

Apparently so. Had never heard of her before.

I really was in awe of her beauty/intelligence/wit/accent/kickassness.

Maybe I'll try tuning in to CBS more often.

also, must find comparable woman to make my bride.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
What was amazing was no hooping and hollaring from the audience when Logan came on and not once did Stewart comment on how hot she was. That's amazing discipline.

GhaleonEB said:
No surprise, but Donna Edwards won the special election tonight. :D

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/06/maryland_elects_1st_black_woma.php
Looks like we gots us a good one here folks!

Wiki has a lot of nice things to say about her...I love that she worked for NASA at one point but this is what sold me:
"Edwards co-founded and served as the first executive director of the National Network to End Domestic Violence, an advocacy and legal support group for battered women. She was involved in helping to pass the 1994 Violence Against Women Act." (snipped from Wiki)

My hat's off to this young lady for her service already. Go get 'em Congresswoman Donna Edwards!

mckmas8808 said:
CNN has a special segment on Michelle Obama and the make over that she is receiving. They will be discussing if she is a little too hardcore and blunt or if she is being picked on.

They also said that First Ladies don't wear dresses with the sleeves cut off, but Michelle does and it could be a problem. :(
Oh NOeS !! It's SLEEVEGATE !!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How has Quinnipiac done in polling the primaries?

Money is a 6? wtf hasn't he raised a record amount of money for this point in the race?
Or is this the effect of campaign finance laws
or maybe it means his personal money

syllogism said:

They must be polling the alternate universe United States where being born a black man is a definite plus.

I believe Obama is slightly ahead in PA and maybe slightly also in Ohio, the Florida numbers are highly unlikely.

If Obama wins Florida this year, it will be a blow out. Once we hit September/October and the the GOP smear campaign hits tv hardcore this race will likely be a very tight one.

maximum360 said:
If Obama wins Florida this year, it will be a blow out. Once we hit September/October and the the GOP smear campaign hits tv hardcore this race will likely be a very tight one.

Honestly, at the rate this race is going in terms of media narratives, fundraising, voter enthusiasm, and partisan advantage, this race may well wind up serving up a DOA candidacy at the GOP convention.

It doesn't matter how weak John McCain really is though, the corporate media hacks will puff him up every chance possible in their attempts to keep this neck and neck through to the election.

We find a new McCain flip flop (with video) almost every day and the free pass express keeps a movin.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
theBishop said:
Where my parents live, all the fat suburbanites who think they are royalty pronounce it "Tar-shay" (i.e. rhymes with 'ballet'). A pox on their houses, I say.

Eh, I've heard it pronounced that way by all sorts of people (from college to coworkers), ususally as a joke. God knows most of them who say it still would rather shop there than Wal-Mart.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
maximum360 said:
It doesn't matter how weak John McCain really is though, the corporate media hacks will puff him up every chance possible in their attempts to keep this neck and neck through to the election.

We find a new McCain flip flop (with video) almost every day and the free pass express keeps a movin.

Yeah, this is really making me sick. The MSM has become a talking points regurgitation machine.

Lots of coverage about "should we drill" no coverage on the fact that this directly contradicts opinions he held 3 days ago.

HylianTom

Banned
StoOgE said:
Yeah, this is really making me sick. The MSM has become a talking points regurgitation machine.

Lots of coverage about "should we drill" no coverage on the fact that this directly contradicts opinions he held 3 days ago.

Had this been Kerry in 2004, we would've seen in big, bold letters on the bottom of the screen "FLIP-FLOP?!" (complete with a picture of a pair of flip-flops)

But noooo.. this is McCain, and they can't do that to him. Assholes.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
StoOgE said:
guys, I need your nerdy help.

The republican party in 2002 bought the campaign name www.txdemocrats.com (the actual website is www.txdemocrats.org).. they redirect to the GOP website. Is there anything we can do to get it back?
Legitimately? Probably not without a court order unless you offer them some cash.

Although texasgop.com is for sale ($1,500) so maybe you could buy that and trade or just redirect to txdemocrats.org as payback :D

maximum360 said:

Exactly...the media does not care about the country at all...they want this to be some sort of crazy drama-filled, legendary election.

Look at how Obama's so called "suburban women problem" has been blown up. First it's women in general...then he wins them. Then it's Hillary supporters...she endorses him and polls show that the high majority will support him. So then they fucking find ONE category he's not winning and all of a sudden it's "Oh...will Obama be able to pull white women suburban voters over 40" and shit. Some have even tried to make an issue over him losing white men (An area Democrats never win). The media wants more then anything to dramatize this fucking thing like it's a soap opera. Does Obama need to poll above McSame in every state and in every demographic before he doesn't have a "problem"??? How could ANYONE thats objectively looking at this race right now say that McCain doesn't have bigger problems then Barack? He's the older mother fucker ever to run for the white house, running on a platform that has destroyed our economy, culture, and standing in the world, and has publicly stated on MANY occasions that he supports the policies of a man that is going to go down in the history books as one of, if not THE, WORST president in the history of this nation!!! I'm not saying it's over, but DAMN, get off Obama's dick and stop trying to force all this negativity on his campaign!

They LOOOOVE drawing upon this "The voters don't trust him" and "The voters need to know more about him" shit. How long does this man have to be in the fucking public spotlight before people know who the fuck Barack Obama is? The guy has the most internet support of any candidate in history. He's been on the cover of magazines, newspapers, and fliers. He has written TWO BESTSELLING BOOKS! He has won a grammy! He has been on the news EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR THE PAST YEAR! He is the FIRST SERIOUS BLACK CANDIDATE EVER! He is the most popular democrat in the fucking country! Yet, Wolf Blitzer still thinks that "Voters need to get to know him better"...fucking Christ! Does Obama need to fucking go door to door and talk to 300 million plus Americans before people "know him"??? Just because McCain has been in the Senate for 40,000 years, and ran for president before, doesn't mean that people know him any fucking better then they do Obama. The people that follow this shit JUST A LITTLE BIT know who Barack Obama is and what he's about. The people that don't follow this shit at all couldn't tell John McCain from fucking John Wayne, and thats the damned truth!

StoOgE

Just pulled this off of kos:

"The fact is that I have agreed with President Bush far more than I have disagreed. And on the transcendent issues, the most important issues of our day, I have been totally in agreement and support of President Bush. So, have we had some disagreements on some issues--particularly domestic issues? Yes. But I will argue my conservative record of voting with anyone's, and I will also submit that my support for President Bush has been active and very impassioned on issues that are important to the American people. ... I strongly disagree with any assertion that I have been more at odds with the President of the United States than I have been in agreement."

McCain on meet the press 3 years ago. Sounds like the whole thing was probably less than 30 seconds. Maybe some ominous music in the background, then spend 50 million bucks spamming the airwaves with it come September.

Cheebs

StoOgE said:
Just pulled this off of kos:

McCain on meet the press 3 years ago. Sounds like the whole thing was probably less than 30 seconds. Maybe some ominous music in the background, then spend 50 million bucks spamming the airwaves with it come September.
HuffPost put up that video a few weeks ago, it got little attention though.

StoOgE

Cheebs said:
HuffPost put up that video a few weeks ago, it got little attention though.

It needs more. I just spammed it to a bunch of people, hopefully it will make its rounds on the interwebs.

GhaleonEB

HylianTom said:
Maybe we'll see some NiMBYism going-on? Could hurt McCain.
First Read's take on it:

*** Now here’s the bounce: A few recent national polls -- which have shown Obama leading McCain by single digits after he essentially wrapped up the Democratic nomination -- have led some in the media to ask: Where’s the bounce? Well, here it is… Obama is now leading in three of the biggest battleground states, according to a new Quinnipiac survey. In Florida, it’s Obama 47%, McCain 43%. In Ohio, it’s Obama 48%, McCain 42%. And in Pennsylvania, it’s Obama 52%, McCain 40%. For the McCain camp, those PA numbers have to be particularly frustrating. And if Obama's getting a bounce like this in Florida now, imagine what happens after a few days of bad off-shore oil drilling press in the state for McCain.

*** Crist's switch: Of course, McCain’s support for lifting the ban on off-shore drilling is a reversal from his stance in 2000. But the most stunning flip-flopper on this issue was Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) -- one could get a case of veepstakes whiplash with how fast he seconded McCain's call to lift the ban. Some may view Crist as pandering transparently to be on the ticket; others may view it as a profile in courage to sacrifice some of his statewide good will to help the GOP; and still others might see this decision as the first crack in what has been a meteoric rise. Considering that tourism is the perceived bedrock of the Florida economy, one can envision attack ads now showing oil rigs and oil spills on the shores of Florida. These ads will either take place now or in 2010, when Crist runs for re-election. Here's what we don't understand about all this oil drilling talk: Isn't the real problem the lack of new oil refineries, not the oil itself?

I think Bush is actually doing Obama a big favor by pushing for a bill to lift the offshore drilling ban - it's another issue where McCain and he are in lockstep, and one McCain flip flopped over to this position, no less. Leaves Obama a big opening and the push will keep it in the press.

GhaleonEB

Ohhhh, this is even better. I didn't know that the offshore drilling ban was partly enforced by executive order. Bush is considering issuing an executive order reversing it.

The Congressional moratorium was first enacted in 1982, and has been renewed every year since. It prohibits oil and gas leasing on most of the outer continental shelf, 3 miles to 200 miles offshore. Since 1990, it has been supplemented by the first President Bush’s executive order, which directed the Interior Department not to conduct offshore leasing or preleasing activity in areas covered by the legislative ban until 2000. In 1998, President Bill Clinton extended the offshore leasing prohibition until 2012. One person familiar with the deliberations inside the White House said that Mr. Bush was briefed on Tuesday by his top aides, including Joshua B. Bolten, the chief of staff, and that the aides recommended lifting the executive order.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/washington/18drill.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

I'm actually hoping he does that. No better way to throw Bush into the fray, front and center, and piss of Floridians at the same time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
theBishop said:

Do your parents live on Long Island perchance? Or is this practiced elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom